High or Low reps for lean mass?

nightside1234

Awards
This isnt a PH question but this is where the most activity on AM is.

What reps do i need to be doing for LEAN muscle build only(not bulking)

5x5
4X6
4X8
4X10
4X12
4X15

??

My diet is 1800-2000 calories. I lift twice a day, each time is focused on a different body origin. And swimming HITT training 1 hour a day. Diet is only eggs,chicken breast, tuna, water, green beans, broccoli, Natural PB(night time only), WHEY protein.

Current suppliments:
100% whey, 1(scoop) X 2 a day
Lean FX
Recreate.

Water intake: 1gallon- 1.5 gallon

Height: 5'11
Current weight: 195
Goal weight : 170-174
Goal Body Fat % : 6%-7.5%
Current BF %- 13.5%

edwardyi

edwardyi

Awards
4x6 to 4x8 works for me. it keeps my strength up while i'm cutting! by the way, lifting 2x a day! thats hardcore!!! =O

KeepBuilding

KeepBuilding

Awards
I've cut using very high reps and with low reps. A lot of it comes down to diet, you have to drop your carbs and up your protein to cut weight. Now I like still doing the lower reps and keeping the weights as heavy as possible when I cut, this way I don't lose a ton of strength. I'd have to see your full meal plan but it sounds like you may not be eating enough for what you're doing. If your body isn't getting enough food it will hold onto fat fyi!

You may want to have this thread moved to the workout or diet section by the way.

nightside1234

Awards
7:00 AM

Meal 1: 3 Eggs scambled, 1 can of tuna no mayo or bread.

10:00 AM

Lifting + Abs

Meal 2: 3 Slices of turkey, 1 can of tuna

4:00 PM

Meal 3: 1 scoop of whey protein mixed with skim milk.

5:00 PM

hour and a half swimming, around 4,000-5,500 Yards

7:00 PM

Meal 4: (Chicken breast// Steak// Turkey) w/ Green veggie (broc or green beans)

7:30 PM

Hour of lifting

9:00 PM

Meal 5: 1 scoop of whey protein mixed with skim milk.

10:30 PM 2 Table spoon's of Natural Peanut butter

Also forgot My mufti vitamin - Mega men's as of now

UnrealMachine

UnrealMachine

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
My favorite is 4x6 whether bulking or cutting

I like to keep it heavy when I cut to maintain strength. Also it just doesn't make sense to me to burn out your muscles with tons and tons of reps when they're in a relatively calorie deficient environment.

nightside1234

Awards
Thanks for the suggestions guys, very helpful

KeepBuilding

KeepBuilding

Awards
Dude you're getting like no carbs!!! You will never build muscle without carbs especially post workout. You should be getting low glycemic carbs for breakfast, then fast digesting carbs for both post workouts. When you workout you are breaking down your muscles so right after your body is going to soak up the fast carbs and protein to start rebuilding and recovering. If you want keep carbs to a minimal the rest of the day but at least get some those 3 times a day.

edwardyi

edwardyi

Awards
7:00 AM

Meal 1: 3 Eggs scambled, 1 can of tuna no mayo or bread.

10:00 AM

Lifting + Abs

Meal 2: 3 Slices of turkey, 1 can of tuna

4:00 PM

Meal 3: 1 scoop of whey protein mixed with skim milk.

5:00 PM

hour and a half swimming, around 4,000-5,500 Yards

7:00 PM

Meal 4: (Chicken breast// Steak// Turkey) w/ Green veggie (broc or green beans)

7:30 PM

Hour of lifting

9:00 PM

Meal 5: 1 scoop of whey protein mixed with skim milk.

10:30 PM 2 Table spoon's of Natural Peanut butter

Also forgot My mufti vitamin - Mega men's as of now
woww i would hate to be on that diet!!!

KeepBuilding

KeepBuilding

Awards
Seriously!!! I would hate the world, sleep all day and just be angry as f***!!!:firedevil:

nightside1234

Awards
Dude you're getting like no carbs!!! You will never build muscle without carbs especially post workout. You should be getting low glycemic carbs for breakfast, then fast digesting carbs for both post workouts. When you workout you are breaking down your muscles so right after your body is going to soak up the fast carbs and protein to start rebuilding and recovering. If you want keep carbs to a minimal the rest of the day but at least get some those 3 times a day.

I have white carb powder, would that be good enough? It mixes with protein shakes

KeepBuilding

KeepBuilding

Awards
I have white carb powder, would that be good enough? It mixes with protein shakes
I would definitely try to get some carbs from meals, they will last longer in your system then a shake. Post workout you can do the shakes but I would try to get some real food in you!