Grapefruit Juice prolonging the Bioavailability of Anabolics

TravisG

TravisG

Awards
  • Established
Ive been poking around the internet and came across countless articles claiming that grapefruit juice prolongs the life of Anabolic steroids. What I mean by this in simple terms is that it keeps the anabolics circulating in your system longer therefore intensitfying the results. all in all it says grapefruit juice increases the half life of oral anabolics.

Has anyone used this with increased results?

Would this work with Ph's the same as it works with AS's?

Thought it was a cool/interesting subject! Any thoughts?!?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
dunno. you're not supposed to take grapefruit joke with prozac, and its because it releases all of it into your system very quickly instead of gradually, which leads to an overdose.

the only reason i say this, is it might not prolong the effect of the anabolic, but make the effect more pronounced for a shorter time period.

not really sure how this applies to anabolics though.

MPFit

MPFit

Awards
  • Established
it's bergamottin.. or something like that, i beleive it's in a lot of the supps which are supposed to "enhance" PH effects.

TravisG

TravisG

Awards
  • Established
Would it be benefical to take it with my Ph's to enhance em further?

Pirate!

Pirate!

Awards
  • Established
It may delay clearance with some PHs, especially ones that aromatize.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
here ya go

Achieve the same results by taking less dianabol?

With grapefruit juice it’s possible. At least, you can read this into a review article published by Israeli pharmacologists in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

The Israelis’ article is about the relationship between grapefruit and medicines. Scientists came across this at the end of the 1980s when doing experiments with strong-tasting substances. To make the comparison with the placebo group as true-to-life as possible, the researchers added a grapefruit taste to the preparations. Suddenly the levels of medicines being tested were much higher than you’d expect.

Later on it became clear that grapefruit inhibits the enzyme CYP3A4. This enzyme is responsible for breaking down substances in a process that scientists call 6beta-hydroxylation. Medicines that are sensitive to this form of breakdown disappear quickly out of the body.

And still later scientists discovered that grapefruit only inhibits CYP3A4 in the small intestine. The enzyme is also found in the liver, but grapefruit does not affect it there. Less CYP3A4 in the small intestine therefore means that a large group of substances is more easily absorbed by the body.

Since then another protein has been found that is inhibited by grapefruit: P-glycoprotein or P-gp. P-gp is also found in the small intestine and also decreases the absorption of pharmacological substances.

You reach maximum effect, the researchers say, after drinking a 250 ml glass of grapefruit juice. Four hours after intake, 47 percent of the enzyme has been deactivated. Twelve hours after drinking the juice, the effect was still pretty optimal. Twenty four hours afterwards, a third of the effect still remains.

It is not know which substances cause the effect. The old theory was that it was the work of naringin and its metabolite naringenin. Laboratory tests do not confirm this though. Another theory is that the furanocourmarin bergamottin – the flavouring in Early Grey tea – and its metabolite 6',7'-dihydroxybergamottin cause the inhibition, but in laboratory tests the effect was only slight. There are probably several phytochemicals at play, all of which contribute to the effect.

For the researchers, one of the conclusions of their study is that users of CYP3A4-sensitive medicines are better off avoiding grapefruit juice and the whole fruit.

The dosages for these medicines are not based on improved uptake, and if this happens the users may experience more negative side-effects.

In the future, the Israelis add, once the grapefruit-effect is better understood, it may be possible to add the active ingredients to medicines so that dosages, and manufacturers' production costs, can be lowered.

The relevance of this publication for chemical athletes is that certain oral anabolic steroids are also broken down by CYP3A4. In the mid nineties doping hunter Wilhelm Schaenzer published a study on beta-hydroxylation of testosterone, boldenon, methyltestosterone, halotestin, dianabol and turinabol, which had been administered orally to the test subjects.

Schaenzer examined the metabolites in the urine of his human test subjects. He discovered that the 6beta-hydroxylation of boldenone, testosterone and methyltestosterone was negligible, but was important for the breakdown of turinabol, dianabol and halotestin. Between 17 and 46 percent of these hormones leave the body in the 6beta-hydroxylated form.

Source:
Eur J Clin Nutr. 2004 Jan; 58(1): 1-9.
Steroids. 1995 Apr; 60(4): 353-66.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Grapefruit juice would not prolong or lengthen the half life.

It may increase amount absorbed in intestine if the chemical is metabolized by cyp3a4 in the intestine.

skull

skull

Awards
  • Established
check out bioprine or piperine---running an "experiment" with BOLD right now --question is how will it effect the enzyme that converts to parent compound?

buquicchioc09

Awards
check out bioprine or piperine---running an "experiment" with BOLD right now --question is how will it effect the enzyme that converts to parent compound?
I'd love to hear more about your "experiment". I always wanted to try bold I just never thought it was worth it. Iv heard at least a thousand times that even at a gram a day you might not see results.

skull

skull

Awards
  • Established
well,all I can say right now is --your not supposed to feel anything from bold for about 3 wks [so im helping it along with 10mg of dbol + bioprine, I break down the caps and use a heathy oil carrier] after 3 wks ill take 400mg-600mg-of the bold and oil 1xs pd [drop the dbol]--if it takes 1gram of bold pd [by itself] than bioprine is supposed to amplify by at least 50% and help with half life--my goal is to a least maintain MM and stay away from injections and methyls for a while at a resonable $ some of the new reaserch on bioprine is very promising--at first they thought is was not safe because it would let toxic materials enter the body [that the liver would filter out] but now if done correctly should be safe>

krogtaar

Awards
skull, why mixing them in oil? how much bioprene? i read about grapefruit's "naranginin" sp? having a similar effect with caffiene/ephedrine absorption or breakdown.

buq,
i think most people find you need 600mg/day for like 10-14 weeks for a cycle, but it gives solid consistant gains for weeks 3+ that are easier to keep after. 4-5 bottles for a cycle, but practically no sides is important to me.

i just posted a request for NP to bring back the bulk bold they had a while ago. :) would love to try this to help with the huge price tag.

TravisG

TravisG

Awards
  • Established
I recently bought a BOLD 200, Methadrol, Testabolan v2 stack but decided to save it when I heard bold is pretty weak. Im sure stacked with the other two id see results but Im going to do a more powerful stack and just save the iforce stack! Bold seems like its weak if not bought in mass bulk!

skull

skull

Awards
  • Established
skull, why mixing them in oil? how much bioprene? i read about grapefruit's "naranginin" sp? having a similar effect with caffiene/ephedrine absorption or breakdown.

buq,
i think most people find you need 600mg/day for like 10-14 weeks for a cycle, but it gives solid consistant gains for weeks 3+ that are easier to keep after. 4-5 bottles for a cycle, but practically no sides is important to me.

i just posted a request for NP to bring back the bulk bold they had a while ago. :) would love to try this to help with the huge price tag.
--mixing in oil helps survive stomach acid,also mixing with oil delivers the mx to the small intestine[some can absorb there] you can order straight> boiprine at many places on the net.it comes in 10mg caps [never take more than 20mg pd] and try to take 2 days "off" a week [the bioprine not bold] there is a thread over at DA where voodoo takes almost 2grams pd [I think he got it for free] but the rep it has for being weak has to do with dosages IMOP ---think about the ratio A/A -100/50 same anabolic as test

skull

skull

Awards
  • Established
How piperine increases the bioavailability of many substances

Piperine has the remarkable ability to manipulate all four of these mechanisms. It inhibits a number of enzymes responsible for metabolizing drugs and nutritional substances; it stimulates the activity of amino-acid transporters in the intestinal lining; it inhibits p-glycoprotein, the ‘pump’ protein that removes substances from cells; and it decreases the intestinal production of glucuronic acid, thereby permitting more of the substances to enter the body in active form. Consequently, some of these substances are able to reach, enter, and remain within their target cells for longer periods of time than would otherwise be the case. Of course, this can be a mixed blessing — if one is using a drug for which the therapeutic level is not substantially lower than the toxic level, piperine supplementation might raise the bioavailability of the drug until its intracellular concentration exceeds the toxic threshold. On the other hand, piperine supplementation can sometimes turn a marginally effective therapeutic substance into a highly effective one simply by increasing its bioavailability and intracellular residency time. A good example of this latter phenomenon is the use of piperine to increase the bioavailability of curcumin, a supplement with broad activity against cancers, inflammation and infections. A 20 mg dose of piperine can increase curcumin’s bioavailability twentyfold.