Steroids in Cancer Treatment - *ANY* Info?

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Mods: please move this to a more appropriate section 9if there is one)

My best friend of 30 years has just been diagnosed w/ stage-4 cancer, which has spread from his lungs to his brain & his bones. He has completed 2 weeks of radiation, and they're evaluating the results before beginning chemo.

I know opinions vary on steroids & cancer, w/ some holding that they encourage cancer to grow & spread - and others holding that steroids help reduce and even eliminate it.

Naturally, I got to do what I can for my boy, so I would really love to hear experiences regarding this topic, links to papers & discussions, and any personal stories of beating the C.

I've buried 2 of my best friends in the last 10 years, including the woman I wished I'd married (9 years ago), and this guy's wife (4 years ago); I really don't want to bury the one I've got left, so help a brother help a brother out.

Thanks.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Stage 4 with that much proliferation is....unsettling. I will see if I can find anything for you in regards to your question. The problem is introducing exogenous hormones without the doctors approval or at least supervision could cause problems, particularly as chemotherapy is just putting poison into your body and it makes your body more susceptible to many things.

One thing I would look into are if there are any highly rated NDs in your area, you'd really want to find one that has possibly been to Med school or Pharm school. Some specialize in oncology and basically help to attack it from another perspective with nutrition and supplements. Obviously there are good and bad NDs like anywhere. (Make sure they went to an accredited ND 4 year school and want to work with the medical community and not just naturo.) Hell I mean if I had it it's what I would do, why rule it out.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
'Unsettling' is not a bad word for it.

We are assembling a very talented team (I'm not the only one who appreciates him), including one MD who is also a DC and an ND, several other MDs & DCs, and a host of minions to help keeps things covered and on-track. I suppose I'm the one in the middle, brainstorming & strategizing & co-ordinating.

Certainly, I would not attempt to introduce something I had to hide from the team: but I want absolutely EVERY scrap of info/data/experience that may help me do a better job of getting him back on his feet (if possible); so, if I know that Substance X has been shown to have real benefit under Conditions Y, I'm going to want to know that in the event we approach Conditions Y....

Random181

Awards
  • Established
Isnt deca proven to boost the immune system?

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
Sadly, stage IV lung cancer is pretty grim. I had a close friend of mine finally lose his battle after three years with a similar diagnosis. I would advise against self-treating with anything without consulting his oncologist as even herbal medicines can interfere with chemotherapy. I did recently see an article on pomegranate being effective in rodent models so I doubt there would be harm in getting some pomegranate juice into his diet, but other than that, find the best oncologist you can and follow his advice.