Mononucleosis and prohomones....HELP!!!

Boss_K

Awards
  • Established
Hello folks--I know I'm new to this board...but I'm not a newbie to how boards work...and I've done as much research on this topic as I know how.

About one month ago (during final exams) I got pretty damn sick with what I thought was the flu, but later found out it was the flu AND mono...how lucky. I recovered fairly quick from the mono and was UP to going out on New Yrs. I still don't feel like I have many affects from the mono--except in the gym. Before this whole excursion I was benching 275x4....now....:( I hit 225x3...this was really unexpected. I hope this has something to do with the mono and not exactly muscle loss. BTW, I dropped from 240 pounds to 220 in those 3 weeks...which was something I was trying to do---just not trying to loose all that muscle.

Heres the question: I was planning to take Nutrex 1-tu, along with 4ad, starting Jan 15th..but I'm worried about doing this with the mono still in my body. Does anyone know about these kind of combos? I have a bottle of M1T coming too, but I was going to hold off on that till most likely summer.

Sorry for the long post....any help is appreciated.

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
Hello folks--I know I'm new to this board...but I'm not a newbie to how boards work...and I've done as much research on this topic as I know how.

About one month ago (during final exams) I got pretty damn sick with what I thought was the flu, but later found out it was the flu AND mono...how lucky. I recovered fairly quick from the mono and was UP to going out on New Yrs. I still don't feel like I have many affects from the mono--except in the gym. Before this whole excursion I was benching 275x4....now....:( I hit 225x3...this was really unexpected. I hope this has something to do with the mono and not exactly muscle loss. BTW, I dropped from 240 pounds to 220 in those 3 weeks...which was something I was trying to do---just not trying to loose all that muscle.

Heres the question: I was planning to take Nutrex 1-tu, along with 4ad, starting Jan 15th..but I'm worried about doing this with the mono still in my body. Does anyone know about these kind of combos? I have a bottle of M1T coming too, but I was going to hold off on that till most likely summer.

I thought mono was detectable in a blood test? If so - why not just get your blood tested again?

Boss_K

Awards
  • Established
mono's also a virus...so I know its there....I just want to know about using prohormones while recovering....and any DR out there would prolly say stay away from them anyways.

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
mono's also a virus...so I know its there....I just want to know about using prohormones while recovering....and any DR out there would prolly say stay away from them anyways.
I would not take anything untill i was at 100% - but thats just me. If you are sick i would imagine you would not be able to give training 100% effort.....

Boss_K

Awards
  • Established
not exactly what I was hoping to hear....but I guess I'll wait it out....

how do you know when your 100% though...I mean, I feel great now (not sick) but i've heard that mono can affect workouts for months....****!

PC1

It's been quite awhile but I had mono pretty badly back when I was about 26 or so...... DOG tired, horrible sore throat - the worst ever in my life. I barely had enough energy to lift my head off the pillow.

I was "involved" with 4 girls at the time, and didn't regret that part of it ;) although I also understand that's how people get it to begin with.

Being just about bed ridden for the worst week or so of it, I lost a LOT of weight. My body weight went from something like 245 down to 210. I was cycling AS at the time, and so was in really good shape before being hit with it.

The only thing I can tell you is that you have to let it finish it's course with you. Lay low, sleep a lot, eat and drink as much water and juices as you can. If I recall, they don't even give you antibiotics for it, right?

You're going to have to resign yourself to the fact that you're going to lose body weight and muscle mass while you're down. IF you try to rush things, you'll only delay your comeback.

Once you feel you're back to normal, hold off on the weight training 1-2 weeks is my advice. When you first return, you're going to be weak. Nothing you can do about it. BUT, you'll find with each passing week thereafter, your strength and stamina levels will be increasing quickly and it won't take you long at all to return to where you were before. Muscle-memory is a great thing, you have it and you will enjoy the benefits of rebounding back. If you don't already, keep a journal of what you lift once you resume. You'll enjoy seeing your weights and reps escalate each week, and won't be so focused on not being able to bench 275x4 again yet.

Also realize that while you're down, your tendons and joints are enjoying some well deserved rest, which will also benefit you during your comeback.

I also would recommend you don't hop into any PH's or AS right away. Train for a month naturally (which will pass quickly anyway) so you'll know your Mono is well behind you. Then you'll really enjoy and get more bang from your next cycle.

Good luck.

Boss_K

Awards
  • Established
PC1--Now thats the kind of response I was looking for! Thanks a ton bro....

I'm feeling back to normal now, its just that in the gym, like I said b4...I am really WEAK. I will train naturally until Feb 15th and maybe just do a 2 week trial of M1T when I get back to normal....I WANT TO BE RIPPPED on Mar 8...my B-day...and the 1st day of Spring Break! ;) Hopefully I'll be up to near pre-mono strengths by this time....*crosses fingers*...

Boss_K

Awards
  • Established
Oh yeah...i've done 3 workouts this week, since mono: bi's/tris, chest, and back. but my whole body seems sore...my traps feel like i shrugged yesterday! i'm guessing this is normal...?...?

PC1

You're going to feel weak and crappy, even if you've recovered from your bout with mono. It's no different than if you just stopped lifting for 3 months and vegged on your couch.

So your weights and reps on your lifts are all going to be down, and you'll be sore for a few days after training each body part, almost as badly as when you first began training.

It's ok though.

Like I said, you have muscle-memory now! Your body remembers being bigger and stronger, and it comes back MUCH more quickly than you gained your strength the first time around.

Everyone's different but I'm guessing that if you could bench 275x4 reps post PH cycle, and I mean many weeks post cycle, e.g. 8 weeks post cycle, that's within your natural capacity to do. Within a month's time, you should be able to regain that, or most of it anyway. Definately within 6-8 weeks time resumption of training.

I can tell you're anxious to regain your previous weight/rep range. What I've found to be an effective means of doing this based on other injuries or illness I've sustained is to start with lighter weight, higher reps, and fewer sets initially. Don't kill yourself though. Getting ridiculously sore won't speed your re-ascent. But with each passing week, drop some reps, increase weights and increase your sets. So for example, maybe you begin benching again doing 1 set of moderate weight for 15 reps. Each week, drop your rep range by a few reps, up your weights, and maybe add a set, if you were doing multiple sets before. So, over the course of the next month, you will be focusing your mind and body back to 275x3-4 reps.

I think you'll have more than enough time to reach your goal for Spring Break, catch as much tail as you can, and re-catch mono all over again....... actually, I don't think you can catch it again?

In any event, I envy you :D

Good luck!

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
PC1,

Those are outstanding posts...your attention to detail is noted.

Chemo

Greenguy

Awards
  • Established

I had mono in 1978 when I was 24 and it caused enlargment of my spleen and liver. Liver function was impaired and my urine looked like black coffee.

Make sure you know your liver is OK before taking anything that could harm it.

Greenguy

RRAdam

Awards
Mononucleosis is usually (almost always) caused by the Epstein Barr herpes virus, and like other herpes viruses, once you have it it will always remain in your bloodstream. Once you are over the symptoms, and your liver checks out, you should be ready to go.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Once all checks out liverwise, you may want to consider using a light cycle of 4AD as it will build your endurance back quickly. It'll pump your red cell count back up to normal if it isnt already. M1T, IMO weakens the immune system temporarily, so you may want to hold off on it for a few months.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Boss_K

Awards
  • Established
You all fuckin' rock!!! Big ups to PC1 for helpin a 'newbie' out....with experience....

Let me tell you guys...I had the guy from the gym spot me when I was benchin with that 225 and I told him "let me go for 8-10 reps"...then I could only hit 3...I was embarassed! Even HE was making excuses for me like "these benches are a lil different than the others..." but I dont accept that bs....PC1, I will try doing what you said, increasing the number of reps and not care about weight so much. Honestly, I -look- better (more cut) than I did before but being so much weaker is taxing mentally! I used to be the 'big' guy....

Thanks for all the help....i'm drunk.

PC1

You too huh?
I like to pass along what little I know......

YOU on the other hand...... I've learned a lot from. I read many posts where you pull excerpts from this study or that study and I think to myself, 'geez, this guy is a freakin walking encyclopedia'.

And there seems to be many guys like that in here. I read Chemo's post on matters like "saponification of esters", and others about the chemistry of converting androstendionne to test and just scratch my head.....

Many thanks to all of you for what you do. You guys DO rock. :D

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like to pass along what little I know......

YOU on the other hand...... I've learned a lot from. I read many posts where you pull excerpts from this study or that study and I think to myself, 'geez, this guy is a freakin walking encyclopedia'.

And there seems to be many guys like that in here. I read Chemo's post on matters like "saponification of esters", and others about the chemistry of converting androstendionne to test and just scratch my head.....

Many thanks to all of you for what you do. You guys DO rock. :D
We aims to please ;)

Don't worry, when it comes to chemistry I scratch my head too. Chemists are in a world of their own which I'll gladly leave to them. Bunch of mad scientists if you ask me :D