prohormones and enlarged hearts?

redrocket399

Awards
  • Established
hey everyone,

just wanted some thoughts on this.

do prohormones enlarge the heart in a negative way?
the heart is a muscle that is always working...
what are yalls thoughts?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cardiac (heart) muscle and striated (skeletal) are very, very different.

spartan300

Awards
cardiac hypertrophy could occur
specifically in the left ventricle
cardiac hypertrophy from PH/AAS would be negative
cardiac hypertrophy from endurance training is positive

Broodstar

Broodstar

Awards
  • Established
Cardiac (heart) muscle and striated (skeletal) are very, very different.
Yes very good point. That is a great question to ask and its good that you are worried about your heart if that goes wrong your outta luck.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) is usually the result of long-term elevated BP. AAS will not directly enlarge your heart as they will with myocytes, but they can create a negative environment. This is another reason why aerobics should be done year-round: they help to reduce hypertension and LDL while improving HDL.

jay21

jay21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i read a article about this talkin how androgens are likely to do this with their effect on redblood cells im doing a pp/sd bridge so far pp is cool but i loved SD more so im xcited for the superdrol part

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
there was a study posted on here a few months ago....it was done on phera and it conclusively showed that long term phera use can enlarge the heart

HardTrainer

HardTrainer

Awards
From what I've read... all androgens can enlarge your heart. However, the effect is not permanent or cumlative. As always: Moderation is the key.

Two studies worth googling:

Karila TAM, Karjalainen JE, Mantysaari MJ, Viitasalo MT, Seppala TA. Anabolic Androgenic Steroids Produce Sose-Dependent Increase in Left Ventricular Mass in Power Athletes, and this Effect is Potentiated by Concomitant Use of Growth Hormone. Int J Sports Med 2003; 24: 337-343.

Sader MA, Griffiths KA, McCredie RJ, Handelsman DJ, Celermajer DS. Androgenic anabolic steroids and arterial structure and function in male bodybuilders. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2001 Jan;37(1):224-30.

EDIT: I'm by no means an expert or anything.

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
From what I've read... all androgens can enlarge your heart. However, the effect is not permanent or cumlative. As always: Moderation is the key.

Two studies worth googling:

Karila TAM, Karjalainen JE, Mantysaari MJ, Viitasalo MT, Seppala TA. Anabolic Androgenic Steroids Produce Sose-Dependent Increase in Left Ventricular Mass in Power Athletes, and this Effect is Potentiated by Concomitant Use of Growth Hormone. Int J Sports Med 2003; 24: 337-343.

Sader MA, Griffiths KA, McCredie RJ, Handelsman DJ, Celermajer DS. Androgenic anabolic steroids and arterial structure and function in male bodybuilders. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2001 Jan;37(1):224-30.

EDIT: I'm by no means an expert or anything.

Here are a few more. The growth of cardiac tissue is not necessarily a huge concern but coupled with the alteration in the growth of the capillary bed, there is a potential for sudden cardiac death. This does not seem to be isolated to any particular steroid. On the other hand, it is not clear how long or in how high of a dose and what role diet would play in this effect.

Anabolic steroids induce cardiac renin-angiotensin system and impair the beneficial effects of aerobic training in rats.

Rocha FL, Carmo EC, Roque FR, Hashimoto NY, Rossoni LV, Frimm C, Anéas I, Negrão CE, Krieger JE, Oliveira EM.

Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007 Dec;293(6):H3575-83. Epub 2007 Sep 28.

PMID: 17906098 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Related Articles Free article at journal site
2: Anabolic steroids impair the exercise-induced growth of the cardiac capillary bed.

Tagarakis CV, Bloch W, Hartmann G, Hollmann W, Addicks K.

Int J Sports Med. 2000 Aug;21(6):412-8.

PMID: 10961516 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Related Articles
3: Testosterone-propionate impairs the response of the cardiac capillary bed to exercise.

Tagarakis CV, Bloch W, Hartmann G, Hollmann W, Addicks K.

Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2000 May;32(5):946-53.

PMID: 10795785 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Related Articles
4: Anabolic steroid use as the possible precipitant of dilated cardiomyopathy.

Ferrera PC, Putnam DL, Verdile VP.

Cardiology. 1997 Mar-Apr;88(2):218-20.

PMID: 9096926 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Related Articles