Niacin flush!??!?

1. DT5
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Niacin flush!??!?

hey guys, help a brotha out. just woke up in intense heat feeling, tingling all over neck face and hands. looked in the mirror and i was beat red, all over my body. been taking 1000mg of niacin a day (non flush free kind) for about 4 days now. Felt so much like a sunburn (still does) it was scary. thought it could be something serious. i looked online, and saw people saying Niacin can do this "flush" thing. I am ok? or is this something more serious?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'0"  190 lbs.
    Answers

haha your fine buddy

thats a niacin flush, and 1000 mgs is a LOT to be starting out on.. try 250 mg's then bump up to 500 when u dont feel the heat flush. and on a side note, dont take it for more than 2 months without a break.
  3. DT5
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

damn dude, thanks. i was worried. such a wierd feeling. i dont know why it took 4 days for it to show.
    had no idea niacin was so powerful. i was 2 minutes away from having my wife drive me to the ER.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Answers

yeah dude, niacin flush is annoying! I used to take horny goat weed which had niacin and on an empty stomach i once took it and got it real bad. A similar thing happend when i took this pill rize 2 the occasion once but it came along with a headach and stuffy nose too.
  5. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

drink more water, that always seems to help me when I get it
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  6. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

And split up your dosing
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Food helps me bring that flush down. I am one that prefers the flush though, tells me I'm getting that close-surface vasodialation.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  8. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob187 View Post
    Food helps me bring that flush down. I am one that prefers the flush though, tells me I'm getting that close-surface vasodialation.
    I get my Niacin from Poseidon, and I don't want food to mess w/ the absorption of the other minerals, but I agree when you're taking straight niacin food can definitely help.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Answers

why are you taking Niacin? what does it do for you?
  10. Banned
    Answers

Why is this in the Anabolics Section?
    Anyway, split the dosage up and take it prior to eating to ease to flush. I like the flush, so I take it on an empty stomach.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    I get my Niacin from Poseidon, and I don't want food to mess w/ the absorption of the other minerals, but I agree when you're taking straight niacin food can definitely help.
    Well right, and I'll usually let it sizzle for a good 15 or 20 minutes, but if it's too intense I'll grab some bread or something like that.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  12. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Lungz View Post
    Why is this in the Anabolics Section?
    Anyway, split the dosage up and take it prior to eating to ease to flush. I like the flush, so I take it on an empty stomach.
    I pondered that as well, and just reminded myself of the fact that a ton of threads are misplaced, just like that one in the supp sections the other day
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'0"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjuice View Post
    why are you taking Niacin? what does it do for you?
    it controls cholesterol

Also, if taking the flush niacin, you can take 500 mg's then jog for 20 mins followed by serious sauna time and you got yourself one of the most powerful body detox I've ever experienced. Mind you, you must repeat the process daily for a month or even longer to see what I'm talking about, but daaaamn by day 3 the stuff sweating out of me.. whole locker room ended up stinking of weed and old old tan lines would re-appear and disappear from what I read is the old radiation leaving the body. Must try!
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  208 lbs.
    Answers

hey being a med professional your going to get niacin flush at any dose higher than 250. may not be as bad but its totally normal and expected. niacin is a potent vasodilator and is commonly prescribed for high cholesterol instead of lovastatin or lipitor. some people have allergic reactions to the others so niacin is a great otc remedy. You can take "no-flush" niacin available at any Longs, Walgreens, GNC, vitamin shop or whatever you have in your area. just ask the pharm at the store. but like i said sounds like your bodys metabolism works very synergistically with niacin so 250 and up expect the flush.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Answers

A doctor told me to take a baby asprin 20-30 minutes before to help alleviate some of the flush. Unfortunately, I had made up my mind to switch to the non-flushing B-3. I am taking it to raise HDL, and should be getting my blood work back any day to see how effective the non-flush form is.
  16. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Mass_69 View Post
    A doctor told me to take a baby asprin 20-30 minutes before to help alleviate some of the flush. Unfortunately, I had made up my mind to switch to the non-flushing B-3. I am taking it to raise HDL, and should be getting my blood work back any day to see how effective the non-flush form is.
    The flush-free form is a bit harder on the liver, so if you're taking higher doses please be aware of this downside.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

The flush-free form is a bit harder on the liver, so if you're taking higher doses please be aware of this downside.
    I've heard the same thing about the sustained release niacin as well. And its difficult to find non-non-flush, non-sustained release niacin in a high dose. For me anyway it's hard to find.
    WHITE WHALE!
  18. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

I've heard the same thing about the sustained release niacin as well. And its difficult to find non-non-flush, non-sustained release niacin in a high dose. For me anyway it's hard to find.
    That reminds me, I'll see if Matt can source some for NutraPlanet.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Answers

From what I recall, all forms of niacin to some extent cause a little liver strain by depleting SAMe. I'm good though, just 1000 mg for me, which is pretty typical.
  20. Banned
    Answers

I buy the regular Niacin by the box! Thankfully, the POST's Px/Com has it in stock year round.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Incarnate - Niacin Flush
    By EZDUZIT in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-22-2008, 04:43 PM
  2. niacin flush on vasocharge?
    By HPatel650 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-23-2008, 07:06 PM
  3. Niacin Flush
    By vika808 in forum Supplements