High doses and increase in "receptor cells"

size

Awards
  • Established
This is a really confusing but interesting topic. It is rather novel in the science world also. I had a discussion with a friend of my whose in progress dissertation involves satellite cells. It addresses muscle growth thru satellite cells and how they aid damaged muscles, divide to form new muscle tissue, and create new satellite cells to repeat the process. Much more than this but this is mostly what I can remember.

I just skimmed the article so I will have to read it more i depth to truly add to the discussion.

I believe Haycock has written some stuff on satellite cells.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I know what you mean size, I am going to reread this article and the other one I read from MD.. but both were very interesting to me.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Taken from the full article. I knew there was a reaons I was irritable :D

Psychological and serum homovanillic acid changes in men administered androgenic steroids.

Hannan CJ Jr, Friedl KE, Zold A, Kettler TM, Plymate SR.

Department of Clinical Investigation, Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, Washington.

We report a difference in the response of serum homovanillic acid (HVA) and in the performance of some psychological tasks before and after the administration of testosterone enanthate (TE, 100 or 300 mg/wk) or nandrolone decanoate (ND, 100 or 300 mg/wk) for 6 wk to healthy men. Serum HVA was significantly increased in both the low- and high-dose ND groups, from 8.4 +/- 1.0 and 8.7 +/- 0.5 pmol/ml (mean +/- SE) to 11.6 +/- 1.7 and 10.7 +/- 1.1 pmol/ml respectively. No significant changes in HVA were observed for the groups administered TE, nor in 5-HIAA for any of the groups. The influence of ND on the dopaminergic system, which is reflected in increased serum HVA, appears to be independent from the psychological effects which were produced by both androgens. The only change in psychomotor test performance was an improvement in the first trial of a pegboard task. All subjects except those receiving ND (100 mg/wk) were significantly more optimistic in the prediction of their own performance for all nondominant hand tasks (pegboard and finger tapping). The "hostility" and "resentment and aggression" subscales of the MMPI increased significantly in all groups, more so in the high-dose groups.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I just wonder how much of that is palecbo effect.. crap my spelling for **** tonight.. sorry

raybravo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
ok , i am just feeling really dumb lol , but a question anyway ? is this a "do higher doses increase androgen receptor count " type of convo or what ? !:) lol .

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Yes Ray it is..and you are not dumb by any stretch of the imagination

raybravo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
ok :) . thanx lol . well , one explanation is testosterone is increasing igf-1 levels in the body , localised igf-1 as well as liver derived .. this igf-1 would obviously activate satellite cells , which is a very important phenomenon by itself .
When satellite cells are prohibited from donating new nuclei, overloaded muscle will not grow (Rosenblatt,1992 & 1994; Phelan,1997).
supraphysiological levels of testosterone give rise to increased numbers of myonuclei and thereby an increase in the number of total androgen receptors per muscle fiber.
ofcourse , as given in the article , increases in strength etc would mean heavier loads are used , better muscle contractions etc which itself increase AR count .
ofcourse , a high dose is relative to the person's size ... so no need to keep increasing doses , like haycock puts it "Recruitment of satellite cells and increased myonucleation requires consistent "effective" training, massive amounts of food, and most importantly, time. " but one thing is for sure , there is no evidence for AR downregulation ...
i hope my contribution here has been relevent lol .