Ph Ban

Richie

Awards
i know the ban was voted on today, does anyone know what the results are?

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
I can find no evidence of a vote as of today.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Tommorow actually will be when they convene.

"108th Floor proceedings will be displayed when the 108th Congress convenes on January 7, 2003."

DarCSA

Awards
I followed it today and saw no mention of a vote on CSPAN or the web site. I can only find that it went to commitees back in October so far. Other than that I don't know when it is scheduled to be brought to the floor. I will continue to watch it.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Here is the rest of the weeks schedule, I think it will be at least a little while still.

<TABLE width=600 border=0>
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD>
<CENTER>
<H2>PROGRAM FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE WEEK </H2>
<H3>WEEK OF JANUARY 5, 2003

</H3></CENTER></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>
<CENTER>
<HR width="50%" SIZE=1>
</CENTER>
<CENTER><B>Wednesday - JANUARY 8, 2003 </B></CENTER>
<CENTER>The House meets at 10:00 a.m. </CENTER></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>
POSSIBLE CONSIDERATIONS:
<HR align=left width=215 SIZE=1>
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>
<TABLE>
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>1)</TD>
<TD>S. 23 -
to provide for a 5-month extension of the Temporary Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2002 and for a transition period for individuals receiving compensation when the program under such Act ends </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>2)</TD>
<TD>H.J. Res. 1 -
making further continuing appropriations for the fiscal year 2003, and for other purposes </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>3)</TD>
<TD>H.J. Res. 2 -
making further continuing appropriations for the fiscal year 2003, and for other purposes </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>4)</TD>
<TD>H.R. 16 -
to authorize salary adjustments for Justices and judges of the United States for fiscal year 2003 </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>5)</TD>
<TD>H.R. 11 -
to extend the national flood insurance program </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>6)</TD>
<TD>H. Res. 10 -
congratulating the Ohio State University football team for winning the 2002 NCAA Division I-A collegiate football national championship </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>7)</TD>
<TD>H. Res. 13 -
congratulating the Grand Valley State University Lakers for winning the 2002 NCAA Division II Football National Championship </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TD>
<TR>
<TD>
<CENTER>
<HR width="50%" SIZE=1>
</CENTER>
<CENTER><B>Thursday - JANUARY 9, 2003 </B></CENTER>
<CENTER>The House meets at 10:00 a.m. </CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
ANOTHER bill has been introduced that will also ban prohormones. The sponsors of the first bill, Osborne and Sweeney, knew nothing of it. So, now we have two bills, in Congress, that will both ban prohormones.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
ANOTHER bill has been introduced that will also ban prohormones. The sponsors of the first bill, Osborne and Sweeney, knew nothing of it. So, now we have two bills, in Congress, that will both ban prohormones.
Maybe they'll cancel eachother out :D

wardog

Awards
  • Established
Well, it was good while it lasted I guess. I wonder if there will be any good 4-AD sales coming up? :D

DarCSA

Awards
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=640 border=0 valign="top">

<TBODY>

<TR>

<TD vAlign=top align=middle><B>UNITED STATES CONGRESSMAN
3rd DISTRICT, NEBRASKA</B> </TD></TR>

<TR>

<TD> </TD></TR>

<TR>

<TD align=middle><B>TOM OSBORNE</B></TD></TR>

<TR>

<TD></TD></TR>

<TR>

<TD>

<TABLE width=640 border=0>

<TBODY>

<TR>

<TD></TD>

<TD><B>For Immediate Release</B></TD>

<TD></TD>

<TD align=right><B>Contact:  Kelly Sokol</B> </TD>

<TD></TD></TR>

<TR>

<TD><!-- start date --></TD>

<TD><B>Wednesday, January 8, 2003</B></TD>

<TD><!-- end date --></TD>

<TD align=right><B>(202) 225-6435</B> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR>

<TR>

<TD> </TD></TR>

<TR>

<TD>

<TBODY>

<TR>

<TD><!-- start title --></TD>

<TD>

<CENTER><B><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 18pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Rep. Tom Osborne Introduces Legislation to <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 18pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">Protect Nebraska’s Young Athletes</SPAN></B></CENTER></TD>

<TD><!-- end title --></TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR>

<TR>

<TD> </TD></TR>

<TR>

<TD>

<TBODY>

<TR>

<TD><!-- start text --></TD>

<TD>

<P class=MsoBodyText style="LINE-HEIGHT: 150%"><SPAN>Washington, D.C.— This week, Representative Tom Osborne (NE-03) was joined by Rep. John Sweeney (NY-22) in reintroducing legislation that would allow the U.S. Attorney General to list performance-enhancing drugs as controlled substances, thereby making over-the-counter sales of such substances illegal. Steroid precursors are defined as substances that once ingested metabolize into anabolic steroids.</SPAN>

<P class=MsoBodyText style="LINE-HEIGHT: 150%"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Osborne stated, “These substances have the same effects and dangers as steroids.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>And, their side effects pose far greater risks for young people than they do for adults.”</SPAN>

<P class=MsoBodyText style="LINE-HEIGHT: 150%"><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Currently, a number of steroid precursors are being aggressively marketed as steroid equivalents by dietary supplement manufacturers. The most popular of these steroid precursors include the andros (androstenedione and androstenediol) and the 19-nors (19-norandrostenedione and 19-norandrostenediol).<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>The manufacturers of these precursors market them based on their molecular proximity to anabolic steroids and a promise that they will magically grow muscles.</SPAN>

<P class=MsoBodyText2>“Young athletes are dazzled by flashy ads and feel pressured to look for ways they can boost their performance.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Too often, there’s the perception that other athletes are on the substances and that they must be too in order to compete on a level playing field,” Rep. Osborne said.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>“How can we combat this pervasive trend harming our young athletes?<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>A key step is recognizing what steroid precursors really are and reclassifying these dangerous substances.”</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>This is the bill having to be reintroduced since from my recollection of the legislative process. Once a session ends a bill dies where it is if it does not reach the floor to be voted on. If the bill was still in committee it will have to be reintroduced this term and go through the same process again before it can make it to the floor of the house and once the house votes on it the senate will have to do the same. Then from there the president will have to sign it for it to become law and he can always veto. Just a heads up for you guys.

Meltdown

Awards
I love the trem "dangerous substances" you could slap that on just about anything. What a bunch of A-holes.

Andy2k

Awards
I don't live in the states, so my opinion wouldn't count for anything in the scheme of things. It seems likely that this ban would be pushed through, as the argument for the ban is likely to be quite strong, if misdirected.
Those who live in the US should obviously write to their representatives in government, outlining an argument for keeping the PHs on the market.
Points you could make include the obvious one of alternatives - legally available PHs help to prevent people purchasing AAS. The government will likely argue that AAS may be linked to organized crime, and as some are obtained abroad, financing terrorism - keeping the PHs legal, and available in the US means that money is not going to these sources (whether they exist or not) It should also be pointed out that athletes will ALWAYS use performance enhancing aids, whether they are legal or not.
Another point that may be raised, in order to form a compromise, is that PHs are only available to those over 18 years of age.
I don't know if the legal age for alcohol consumption is the same in all states, or if it is the same over here in the UK, but anyone here aged 18 can purchase alcohol - whether online or otherwise, it would be illegal to sell it to someone under the age of 18 - the same rules could apply to PHs.
I know this last point is not what some people want, but I think we all agree that those under 18 don't need the things anyway, and this could be put forward to help those who are putting the bill to congress to 'save face'
Whatever you do, make sure you do something, but don't rant and rave - it's the easiest way to be ignored.

nsruffryder34

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I really wonder if the 1-test products will be taken out by this bill since the statement is that they "metabolize into anabolic steroids once in the human body" wel since 1 test does not metabolize into an as, nor is it an illegal as, I wonder if there may be soom loophole.

macattack

Awards
Who if anyone is fighting against the ban or apposing the legislation? anyone know

nsruffryder34

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Patrick Arnold and a few oter heads of supp. companies have been lobbying to try and stop this bill, along with alot of people sending letters to senators and such.

Number 5

Awards
this link has been posted before, but here it is again. an easy way to fight the ban, just click on the left where it says 'write letter.'

http://www.usfa.biz/

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
Oh this is very important Government business!

<TABLE>
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>)</TD>

<TD>target=_blank>H. Res. 10 -
congratulating the Ohio State University football team for winning the 2002 NCAA Division I-A collegiate football national championship </TD></TR>
<TR>

<TD vAlign=top>7)</TD>

<TD>target=_blank>H. Res. 13 -
congratulating the Grand Valley State University Lakers for winning the 2002 NCAA Division II Football National Championship </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

DarCSA

Awards
I am looking for information on anyone who knows about this so-called other bill that is to be introduced. I have not been able to find any other information than what SSX posted. I think that one is bad and two just makes it even worse. Let me know if you guys come across anything. I still have nothing new to report on the situation. No new news from congress as of yet or any committee info.