Peg-300

GIJoe

Pat Tillman, American HERO
Awards
One of the by-products when conversion to PEG (at the processing plant) is ethylene glycol (EG).

Think of a fractioning column for petroleum products; the heavier molecular weights (higher viscosity, thicker) stay lower in the column because of their higher melting point -- they boil off, or are drawn off, last. the smaller the hydrocarbon chain, the lower the boiling point to distill out (purify) the end product.

PEG-200 (lightest of the PEG viscosities) has a boiling point roughly equal to (within 3 degrees C@ 760torr) ethylene glycol. EG is the primary constituant of automotive anti-freeze, and as you've heard all your life, is very toxic (sweet to the taste, but deadly). The problem with PEG is it's somewhat more difficult to purify PEG-200 than the other viscosities, requiring a more complicated (and expensive) multi-plate (vacuum) distillation process. This is also one big reason why PEG-200 is difficult to get in NF/USP grades at a reasonable price (in bulk for resale).

PEG-300, on the other hand, is almost as attainable as PEG-400, and is basically the same price. I do not know why it is not being carried.

Last edited:
Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
You'll post more later if the board leadership gives you permission...

Don't come on my forum spewing advertisements for your site without running it by me first.

Chemo

GIJoe

Pat Tillman, American HERO
Awards
Very sorry, feel extremely bad; taken care of