Anti Depressants and Prohormones -- Safe or not?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.68%

Anti Depressants and Prohormones -- Safe or not?

I've been searching around, with mixed results, trying to find whether or not it is unsafe to use prohormones (superdrol for me specifically) while taking an antidepressant.

I will be restarting either Wellbutrin or Lexapro in a few weeks, and was concerned that it may inhibit me from being able to do another superdrol cycle.

Any informed input or links to good info are SERIOUSLY appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.32%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I'm taking Zoloft, I've never had any problems.
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

By medical call, its not safe. But neither are steroids by medical call....

It will come down to each person. But if your using an SSRI or such for the inability to stop frowning....it could be a bad combo if you start playing with your hormones.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.13%

I second that. Especially with SD. It says on the bottle do not use if you have psychiatric problems, but people do it anyways. If you must run it, then I would recommend getting regular bloodwork, but you should be doing that if you use steroids anyways.
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.32%

Quote Originally Posted by Zero V View Post
    By medical call, its not safe. But neither are steroids by medical call....

It will come down to each person. But if your using an SSRI or such for the inability to stop frowning....it could be a bad combo if you start playing with your hormones.
    My good sir, I would venture to say that there isn't any "safe" drug...

but, I'm just here to screw with you
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.62%

First, stay away from Lexapro if you can. That stuff is really hard to come off of, especially if you have to function like a normal human being on a daily/hourly basis. My GF has been on it for a year now and tried to stop taking it a couple of times but the withdrawal was pretty debilitating, making work almost impossible. Do a Google search on its withdrawal...a lot of good info out there.

Welbutrin on the other hand, I really liked the stuff on cycle. Hell, I have been reluctant to do a second cycle because I am not on it anymore (no health insurance atm). Increased libido, quit chewing, increased concentration (why I was on it), and mood stabilization; it was a wonder drug for me but again I wasn't on for depression. If you have psychological problems in the first place, messing with your hormones might be a bad idea depending upon the depth of your problem.

Let me say this a second time, STAY AWAY FROM LEXAPRO if you can!
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    4'6"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.05%

Seriously speaking, lexapro has a high side effect profile and unless you have a depressive form of psychosis it should be avoided as well as SSRI's of all types. What does work for depression and has anabolic properties as well is DHEA, it takes a little longer to work, is mildly suppresive, but at 25 mgs sublingual dly works. I think its wise to avoid combining psych meds and designers.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.68%

thanks for the input guys, keep them coming.

i've done stints of lexapro/celexa for 4-6 months at a time. i never seem to take my anti depressants for longer than that, because once i start feeling good, i don't want to take them any longer.

also, i have terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible libido effects from lexapro/celexa......

keep it coming!
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.99%

the libido problems are supposed to be non existent with wellbutrin. I just started it last week, nothing yet.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.99%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I've been on Effexor for 4 years (virtually impossible to wean off) and havent had any problems with anabolics. What you need to watch for are MAOI's, these can be dangerous when mixed even with certain foods like cheese. SSRI's shouldnt be a problem whatsover. Now, I will say that if you have severe depression or mental issues, than stay away from anabolics because they can intensive a condition, especially during the PCT phase.
    Remember why you started.
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'4"  181 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.56%

well, on s-drol and trenadrol (separately and also when i stacked the two) i felt very depressed at times when running them.
    def. something to do with my hormones. and i'm not the only one.

IMO, if you're a mentally unstable person, you should stay the freak away from pro-hormones. not saying people who take anti depressants are mentally unstable at all please don't get me wrong. just stating my opinion.

and i never get depressed either so it def. had something to do with the ph's.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.68%

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezman08 View Post
    well, on s-drol and trenadrol (separately and also when i stacked the two) i felt very depressed at times when running them.
    def. something to do with my hormones. and i'm not the only one.

IMO, if you're a mentally unstable person, you should stay the freak away from pro-hormones. not saying people who take anti depressants are mentally unstable at all please don't get me wrong. just stating my opinion.

and i never get depressed either so it def. had something to do with the ph's.

yeah i just have mild depression, it's nothing major, very very minor even, but it has noticeable effects on me in some ways, which is why i'm going to try out wellbutrin. but i'm not a bipolar basket case. most people i interact with probably have no clue (even when i'm not on anti's, which is most of the time)....

as for hormones causing increased depressive symptoms.. holy **** i noticed this during my PCT just a few (3-4) weeks ago.

nothing i couldn't handle, but i had to sit myself down and say "you know this is just the chemicals in your body making you feel this way, it is NOT RATIONAL" etc..

lol.

anyhow, thanks for the input all, i feel pretty good about trying a 2nd SD cycle after i've gotten a month on the wellbutrin under my belt

fyi-- wellbutrin = bupropion.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.7%

I wouldn't gamble on it. When you come off cycle could be disastrous.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.13%

hell no. you're depressed and you wana take SD, which is a lethyargy/shutdown cap? are you outta ur mind?
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.68%

Quote Originally Posted by inmymind801 View Post
    hell no. you're depressed and you wana take SD, which is a lethyargy/shutdown cap? are you outta ur mind?

please don't troll here.

i've already done SD while NOT on the anti depressants. my depression is like a 2 or 3 out of 10, coming off the SD i spiked to a 6 or 8 some days, but was well aware of the cause being chemical.

the question and topic of this post is whether or not there is a safety issue in terms of the two compounds having a bad interaction in my body.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.03%

Yeah im on Citalopram for anxiety and was considering it but having thought of it I aint to sure if its a good idea. Maybe if you increase you anti depresant dosage post cycle you may be ok. Im gonna look into natural alternatives like jungle warefare or t-drive.
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.99%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Take Vitamin D during PCT for a boost in your mood. It's also good to take some during the winter months to help with those blues.
    Remember why you started.
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I would be popping 3 grams of Phenibut a day coming into PCT if I had depression issues. That stuff dang near makes me feel amazing in a high enough dose...

And to Ozark. I agree no drug is safe, but some combination's are 'safer' than others.

OOOOOOOOOOO NEW SMILYS
  19. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.36%

Okay, I'm on Lamictal and Abilify for bi-polar II. So technically I am mentally unstable. I ran a cycle of epi, and felt great, and during PCT felt like **** emotionally, but not to where I lost it or anything. I'd give the depression a 4-5 out of ten. I ran a three weeker of SD at 10mgs, and PCT was about the same. Oh, I wasn't on the Abilify for either cycle.
    The Truth is, there is no Truth.
  20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.99%

Quote Originally Posted by bound View Post
    Okay, I'm on Lamictal and Abilify for bi-polar II. So technically I am mentally unstable. I ran a cycle of epi, and felt great, and during PCT felt like **** emotionally, but not to where I lost it or anything. I'd give the depression a 4-5 out of ten. I ran a three weeker of SD at 10mgs, and PCT was about the same. Oh, I wasn't on the Abilify for either cycle.
    During your PCT did you feel crappy like all the time or was it up and down?
  21. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.36%

Quote Originally Posted by nparisi View Post
    During your PCT did you feel crappy like all the time or was it up and down?
    On cycle I was way up, and PCT way down, just like how my normal cycling(bipolar cycling, I would be cool for a month or two, then get super depressed/anxiety attacks for a week or two.) used to be before the meds.

During PCT the depression got slowly worse, then slowly better. I also seem to get more aggressive than most people when on. That has to do with the bipolar for sure, all that excess energy from being on has to go somewhere, and excess energy always makes me more aggressive/irritable.

I would never cycle without being on the lamictal, not that I'm ever going to stop taking it.
  22. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.99%

Oh ok, good to know. I'm not bipolar, but just started taking wellbutrin for depression and have been planning out my epi run like forever and a half, I think I'll be fine. I don't get too depressed right now, my main problem is how tired I am and how my motivation has been sapped significantly, but not so much depressing thoughs/moods. I'll do a log when I run it and try to post on how it effects my mood...
  23. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.36%

Quote Originally Posted by nparisi View Post
    Oh ok, good to know. I'm not bipolar, but just started taking wellbutrin for depression and have been planning out my epi run like forever and a half, I think I'll be fine. I don't get too depressed right now, my main problem is how tired I am and how my motivation has been sapped significantly, but not so much depressing thoughs/moods. I'll do a log when I run it and try to post on how it effects my mood...
    I checked the half-life of webutrin, but it's one of those wacky ones like my lamictal that have multiple half-lives. Here's a good link for an overview, if you haven't read up too much on it:http://www.crazymeds.us/wellbutrin.html

I was going to say that you could experiment with raising the doseage during PCT if you get drepressed.( I am not a doc, i've just had experience with a lot of meds, don't take my advice on messing with your dosages on your own, it's dangerous.) BUUUUT, only if you like messing with your brain chemistry. with it's weird half lives, I doubt that you'd get much out of raising the dose for only a month, the enhanced effects would not likely show up until the last week or so.

wish you well.
  24. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.29%

I cycled while on ADs, no prob.

Being on cycle can get u run down and make you feel a lil ****ty but you get over it so long as you keep reminding yourself its just because you're on cycle.
  25. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.99%

Quote Originally Posted by bound View Post
    I checked the half-life of webutrin, but it's one of those wacky ones like my lamictal that have multiple half-lives. Here's a good link for an overview, if you haven't read up too much on it:http://www.crazymeds.us/wellbutrin.html

I was going to say that you could experiment with raising the doseage during PCT if you get drepressed.( I am not a doc, i've just had experience with a lot of meds, don't take my advice on messing with your dosages on your own, it's dangerous.) BUUUUT, only if you like messing with your brain chemistry. with it's weird half lives, I doubt that you'd get much out of raising the dose for only a month, the enhanced effects would not likely show up until the last week or so.

wish you well.
    Thanks man, I appreciate it. I doubt I'd mess with the dosages, I'd rather just ride it out.
  26. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.58%

Man I hated Welbutrin, I was going through a divorce and very down. Read the side effcets for sure and watch close. I had whats called freight train seiuzures and it didnt help my mood at all. I took it for one month and it took about 6 months to stop. Hope it works out for you. I decided to take the more wholistic approach and sure am glad I did. SAMe, Phenibut, GABBA and I like IGF2 alot as well. Good dose of Rhodiola Rosea really brings me up. long walks on the beach for alone time too....seriously man listen to your body , good sleep and exercise. Good luck with the PH's too.
  27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.99%

Quote Originally Posted by Brother View Post
    Man I hated Welbutrin, I was going through a divorce and very down. Read the side effcets for sure and watch close. I had whats called freight train seiuzures and it didnt help my mood at all. I took it for one month and it took about 6 months to stop. Hope it works out for you. I decided to take the more wholistic approach and sure am glad I did. SAMe, Phenibut, GABBA and I like IGF2 alot as well. Good dose of Rhodiola Rosea really brings me up. long walks on the beach for alone time too....seriously man listen to your body , good sleep and exercise. Good luck with the PH's too.
    Thanks. I have been on it for 2-2 1/2 weeks and I've had no side effects except mild drymouth. I've tried Rhodiola, bacopa, 5-htp...I was off anti-depressants for a couple years and things just slowly got worse so I had to do something, there's no way I'll survive this semester if my energy levels don't improve....Sorry to hear you had such a bad side effect...

Similar Forum Threads

1. Anti-Depressants and Using
    By CalebRM in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-15-2011, 10:24 PM
  2. Anti-depressants...worth it?
    By indianballer in forum OTC Drug
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-10-2009, 12:12 PM
  3. L tryptophan and anti depressants
    By spinn in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 2