BF% Scale?

Nick26

Nick26

Awards
Im posting this here becuz its my favorite forum, I was wondering if anyone used or know how accurate and how these scales work. I paid over 100$ for it and I love it but still not sure how it measures everything. BF% M% Bone mass and water. Thanks alot people.

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
Im posting this here becuz its my favorite forum, I was wondering if anyone used or know how accurate and how these scales work. I paid over 100$ for it and I love it but still not sure how it measures everything. BF% M% Bone mass and water. Thanks alot people.
Uses bioelectrical impedence to calculate variables. Basically, a small electric charge is passed through your body and the rate at which it travels gives you a measurement of the adiposity of your body. This measurement is highly dependant on hydration. That being said, I love my scale. The measurements are precise, meaning that from day to day they tend to be fairly stable (I always measure first thing in the morning after emptying my bladder). Though the precision in my experience is decent, the accuracy is a little off. I would guess that it is probably off by 3-5% from what the actual number is. In my case, I don't care about the actual percentage, just with what my fat is doing over time. One thing to note, if you are doing things that are going to significantly change body water content (i.e. using prohormones or steroids) then you may see some wacky numbers.

GotTest

GotTest

Awards
  • Established
That looks nice steveo!
Wish Santa would have put that in my stocking.

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
Bioelectrical impedence is very unreliable. It makes much more sense to buy something like http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/accu-measure/fattrack-gold-caliper-tape.html , great investment. Calipers are quite accurate.
Calipers are more accurate, if used properly, than BI. BI is convenient and fairly precise but generally does not give accurate numbers. Underwater weighing is better than all of them but I doubt anyone is going to go through that on a regular basis. I've been tracking my weight daily (with the occasional miss here and there) for about 5 years now and the BI scale I have serves my purposes.

Nick26

Nick26

Awards
Thanks guys. Awesome info. I love my scale and thats what im going to stick with.

GotTest

GotTest

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I wouldn't throw it out.:lol:

It should give you a good enough reading to know if youre gaining or losing BF.

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I wouldn't throw it out.:lol:

It should give you a good enough reading to know if youre gaining or losing BF.
That is what i use it for and it works well enough.

gymnut1

Awards
actually i was surprised how accurate by scale was, it had my BF at 8.3, i went to a gym that does the Bod Pod measurement, it had me at 9.8, so not bad.

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
actually i was surprised how accurate by scale was, it had my BF at 8.3, i went to a gym that does the Bod Pod measurement, it had me at 9.8, so not bad.
That is surprising given how low it is. But now that you have benchmarked it, you have a general idea of its relative accuracy.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DK0313 Natural Bodybuilding 0
R1187 General Chat 8
maurice02 Pics 23
maurice02 Weight Loss 7
General Chat 1