BF% Scale?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.96%

Question BF% Scale?

Im posting this here becuz its my favorite forum, I was wondering if anyone used or know how accurate and how these scales work. I paid over 100$ for it and I love it but still not sure how it measures everything. BF% M% Bone mass and water. Thanks alot people.

2. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.2%

Quote Originally Posted by Nick26 View Post
    Im posting this here becuz its my favorite forum, I was wondering if anyone used or know how accurate and how these scales work. I paid over 100$ for it and I love it but still not sure how it measures everything. BF% M% Bone mass and water. Thanks alot people.
    Uses bioelectrical impedence to calculate variables. Basically, a small electric charge is passed through your body and the rate at which it travels gives you a measurement of the adiposity of your body. This measurement is highly dependant on hydration. That being said, I love my scale. The measurements are precise, meaning that from day to day they tend to be fairly stable (I always measure first thing in the morning after emptying my bladder). Though the precision in my experience is decent, the accuracy is a little off. I would guess that it is probably off by 3-5% from what the actual number is. In my case, I don't care about the actual percentage, just with what my fat is doing over time. One thing to note, if you are doing things that are going to significantly change body water content (i.e. using prohormones or steroids) then you may see some wacky numbers.
  3. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.2%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Bioelectrical impedence is very unreliable. It makes much more sense to buy something like http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/a...iper-tape.html , great investment. Calipers are quite accurate.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.89%

That looks nice steveo!
    Wish Santa would have put that in my stocking.
  5. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.2%

Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    Bioelectrical impedence is very unreliable. It makes much more sense to buy something like http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/a...iper-tape.html , great investment. Calipers are quite accurate.
    Calipers are more accurate, if used properly, than BI. BI is convenient and fairly precise but generally does not give accurate numbers. Underwater weighing is better than all of them but I doubt anyone is going to go through that on a regular basis. I've been tracking my weight daily (with the occasional miss here and there) for about 5 years now and the BI scale I have serves my purposes.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.96%

Thanks guys. Awesome info. I love my scale and thats what im going to stick with.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.89%

Yeah I wouldn't throw it out.

It should give you a good enough reading to know if youre gaining or losing BF.
  8. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.2%

Quote Originally Posted by GotTest View Post
    Yeah I wouldn't throw it out.

It should give you a good enough reading to know if youre gaining or losing BF.
    That is what i use it for and it works well enough.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99%

actually i was surprised how accurate by scale was, it had my BF at 8.3, i went to a gym that does the Bod Pod measurement, it had me at 9.8, so not bad.
  10. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.2%

Quote Originally Posted by gymnut1 View Post
    actually i was surprised how accurate by scale was, it had my BF at 8.3, i went to a gym that does the Bod Pod measurement, it had me at 9.8, so not bad.
    That is surprising given how low it is. But now that you have benchmarked it, you have a general idea of its relative accuracy.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Can you help with BF%? Scale says 31%
    By maurice02 in forum Pics
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-09-2009, 04:55 PM
  2. Anyone have a scale and 1,4AD...?
    By Skigazzi in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-19-2008, 02:20 PM
  3. scale
    By Rivet in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 0