steroid contradiction??

ezza

Awards
  • Established
Alright so i've heard and read time and time again that steroids only help increase the size of a muscle cell and not the numbers of cells like HGH does.
Then on the other hand I've read studies saying that some oral and even injectable steroids increase IGF-1 levels(for example dmt and test) ... so I'm wondering why it is generally accepted that steroids cannot increase the number of muscle cells when some evidence points the other way.
I mean when you take into account that the increase of muscle cells from HGH is caused directly by conversion to IGF-1 and certain steroids are known to increase levels of this hormone.

Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established
Alright so i've heard and read time and time again that steroids only help increase the size of a muscle cell and not the numbers of cells like HGH does.
Then on the other hand I've read studies saying that some oral and even injectable steroids increase IGF-1 levels(for example dmt and test) ... so I'm wondering why it is generally accepted that steroids cannot increase the number of muscle cells when some evidence points the other way.
I mean when you take into account that the increase of muscle cells from HGH is caused directly by conversion to IGF-1 and certain steroids are known to increase levels of this hormone.

It really all depends on the specific steroid but AAS that are mainly anabolic would have little to no direct effect on cell growth. Instead their activity is 99% increased protein synthesis and nitrogen retention time. However anabolics that bind to, and have activity at the androgen receptor cause an increase in IGF-1 and directly enhance cell growth. The more potent the androgenic activity, the more direct cell growth & IGF activity. Which typically also leads to more side effects.