Limbs falling asleep while sleeping

nosnmiveins

nosnmiveins

Awards
  • Established
Yes i know this has nothing to do with steroids, but i dont know where else to post this and this is the section i am most active in. plus all the good bros hang around here.

For say...the past 2 months i've noticed that i'll wake up in the middle of the night and my hand or arm (either one) will be completely numb....well more like "tingly"

i figured that maybe i was laying on it or something. i started trying to sleep in different positions but it still happened whether or not i was laying on the limb.

any clue to what this might be? could it be from added mass restricting circulation?

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I think so, I get this sometimes in my fingers and always in my legs if I type on my laptop while sitting in bed.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
When I sleep with my arm(s) above my head they often fall asleep.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
It is a carpal tunnel like effect of muscle pressing on veins. Nasty side of getting bigger.

RobMusta

RobMusta

Awards
i have same thing happen to me. its easy to cut blood off to parts of the body without even knowing or thinkin its happening. all the comments above i agree with. if i have my upper arm squished against my body hard enough even if its not under my body it can make my arm go numb. or if i put my arm under my head. its a crazy feeling

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
as crader says, its a circulation issue. i had this when i would sleep with my arms under me, specifically if i was dehydrated. now that i'm drinking a ton of water, i don't really have that issue anymore. hopefully, that's your scenario too :) - at least that way its an easy fix.

nosnmiveins

nosnmiveins

Awards
  • Established
Suncloud, good comment on the water, but i already drink easily over a gallon a day. i dont drink anything BUT water lol.

getting big sucks...

...NOT!

supra90mkiii

Awards
I have a similar thing happen to me, but it's only my hands that go numb, not anything above the wrists.

I was diagnosed with Carpel Tunnel Syndrome 2 months ago in both of my hands (yea, at age 21...). I slowly lost feeling in my index, thumb and ring fingers. ...and me being a mechanic, this wasn't good. My doctor told me that since I came in right when it started happening, that I had a better chance of not needing surgery. So she told me to get some good wrist/hand braces from Walgreens (the ones with the metal splints). After a couple weeks the feeling started to come back. I now have complete feeling in all of my fingers, and no dead hands at night!

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
Yes i know this has nothing to do with steroids, but i dont know where else to post this and this is the section i am most active in. plus all the good bros hang around here.

For say...the past 2 months i've noticed that i'll wake up in the middle of the night and my hand or arm (either one) will be completely numb....well more like "tingly"

i figured that maybe i was laying on it or something. i started trying to sleep in different positions but it still happened whether or not i was laying on the limb.

any clue to what this might be? could it be from added mass restricting circulation?
good thread nos!..yup i would wake up,and usually my right hand would be asleep,i would have to pump my hands like how you would a manual b.p reader,with the bulb!then i would have feelings in my hands again!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

It could be the result of a variety of things, however most of which are not a serious concern.

The most common being being sleeping on an extremity compromising circulation which results in parasthesia (numbness and tingling) symptoms in that extremity.

Also, anytime you have swelling within a compartment of an extremity (either trauma induced, or extensive muscle damage), it can also compromise the blood flow to any point distal of that compartment swelling.

Carpal Tunnel is a prime example of swelling within a narrow compartment that involves radial nerve impingement.....resulting in similar symptoms. Rest and immobilization is the best treatment modality in that case.

If it continues to happen, get in to see your PMD for peace of mind anyway if this is concerning to you.

MSE

MSE

Awards

Hey nos,
I have this problem every winter when I bulk up, when I lean up it does not happen. I always blame it on increased weight, reduced circulation, and everything else people above me have stated. When you cut up this spring it should go away.

nosnmiveins

nosnmiveins

Awards
  • Established
thanks for all the info guys. im hoping its not carple tunnel. the numbness just recently started, but ive always had problems with my wrists.

when i do barbell curls, when i go to set it down i have to keep holding the bar for a second and then let go. i use gloves with wrist wrapps but it always seems to hurt for a minute...just an annoying pain, but nothing i cant get through

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Parts of our limbs commonly fall asleep when the joint between that part and the rest of the body (for example, the wrist in the case of the hand) is held in a bent position for a prolonged period. This compresses the blood supply of the nerve(s) to the area of skin that develops the paresthesia (the part that "falls asleep"). If the ischemia (inadequate blood supply) is not too prolonged, temporary numbness and tingling ("pins and needles") will occur on resumption of the blood flow to the nerve. However, prolonged ischemia -- such as "Saturday night syndrome" in which an intoxicated individual "passes out" with a limb dangling across the arm of a chair or the edge of a bed or sustained use of a tourniquet during a surgical procedure -- may result in damage no less severe than that produced by crushing or even cutting the nerve. - Vanderbilt University

NAS

NAS

Awards
god I hate my arms falling asleep, it would wake me up every night, and still does occasionally but I had to learn to go to sleep on my back as before I could only fall asleep on my stomach, just another side effect of getting f'in huuuuugh:drunk:

Screwtape

Screwtape

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is just another side effect of getting big. When you get over 250lbs you get to enjoy nocturnal muscle cramps as well!

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
thanks for all the info guys. im hoping its not carple tunnel. the numbness just recently started, but ive always had problems with my wrists.

when i do barbell curls, when i go to set it down i have to keep holding the bar for a second and then let go. i use gloves with wrist wrapps but it always seems to hurt for a minute...just an annoying pain, but nothing i cant get through
I had problems with carpal tunnel from a job I had. They put me in PT for awhile. Oddly ultrasound treatment really helped as well as getting some bands and doing stretching exercises.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
If I sleep on my stomach, my arms go COMPLETELY dead. This is a problem for me when I want to get up because it's nearly impossible to roll yourself over w/o the use of your hands/arms! Try it...it sucks!

What I have to do, and this looks so Effing dumb, is try to swing my upper torso side-to-side (while on my stomach) hoping to generate enough momentum that my body rolls itself. Then I can get up from there. Sometimes I'm under the bedding and I'm trapped so I have to get my g/f to roll me and unwrap me. LOL.....how many cool points I lose there, I have no idea, but it's a lot I'm sure.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
If I sleep on my stomach, my arms go COMPLETELY dead. This is a problem for me when I want to get up because it's nearly impossible to roll yourself over w/o the use of your hands/arms! Try it...it sucks!

What I have to do, and this looks so Effing dumb, is try to swing my upper torso side-to-side (while on my stomach) hoping to generate enough momentum that my body rolls itself. Then I can get up from there. Sometimes I'm under the bedding and I'm trapped so I have to get my g/f to roll me and unwrap me. LOL.....how many cool points I lose there, I have no idea, but it's a lot I'm sure.
your getting huge bro,but like your mantra say's'you gotta pay the cost to be the boss'..hope you get better soon,bro!

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
your getting huge bro,but like your mantra say's'you gotta pay the cost to be the boss'..hope you get better soon,bro!
I think I'm wider than I'm taller at this point. :lol:

Can I have your ankles? j/p

callaway

Awards
I'm glad u posted on this. I have become increasingly alarmed at the ease in which my appendages 'fall asleep' lately. Not only when sleeping, but just constant everyday life. I figured it was circulation issues due to weight fluctuations. I will try drinking more water.

My mind is at ease.

crazilyfter42

Awards
Good post. Your not alone the same thing happens to me too. I feel its definately gotten worse as I put on more weight so it could possibly be a circulation issue w/ the increases we see in mass. The whole "bent" joint" study is cool thanks for posting that up. That makes me feel a little better about it possibly not being the result of gaining weight.

Prometherion

Prometherion

Awards
lol You guys ever wake up to go to the bathroom and have both arms asleep?? That sucks haha