Steroids and Ketosis

bigfilo

bigfilo

Awards
I was wondering about running a sustanon/deca cycle whilst on a ketogenic diet. I've done a couple of cycles previously with good results (+15lb, then +12), but i had quite a bit of water retention and put on a bit of fat. I have been on a ketogenic diet (CKD) for a couple of months and i was wondering if i could run a cycle on the diet and see good results. Obviously I'm going to have my calories above maintainence, keeping my fats high, but im going to up the ratio of protein (50/50) to help maintain a positive nitrogen balance.

In terms of the cycle, i was wondering if i should front load the sustanon (1000mg for the first 2 weeks) then 500mg a week, and 200mg of deca a week, all this for 12 weeks.

I will be using nolvadex throughout the cycle and PCT with clomid and pregnyl (HCG) for two weeks after the cycle.

Would this be a worthwhile experiment? or is it a pointless way to desensitise my testosterone receptors?

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
dont front load, just run your cycle and continue the diet, if you want to gain then increase protein and fats, and eat carbs for 3-5 meals surrounding your workout. if your cutting then do you CKD and youll hold onto more muscle,
but CKD diet will not have you in a strong state of ketosis so gluconeogenisis is more likely to occure during the week, but not on the refeed days.

bigfilo

bigfilo

Awards
what do you mean 50/50 protein
50% of the calories are from protein, the other 50% from fats.

How about running a pure ketogenic diet, no carb ups? Would a deep state of ketosis affect the cycle? I just want to experiment to see what effect a ketogenic diet would have on a steroid cycle.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
50% of the calories are from protein, the other 50% from fats.

How about running a pure ketogenic diet, no carb ups? Would a deep state of ketosis affect the cycle? I just want to experiment to see what effect a ketogenic diet would have on a steroid cycle.

you can run a basic keto diet,

1.5 g protein
.6g fat

all per pound of bodyweight, 6 meals, run this diet for 2 weeks then the last day of week 2 have ONE refeedmeal up to 500g carbs and then every week have that cheatmeal on the sam day the last meal of the day

make sure you take your fiber sups, a good multi protein,

fishoil 3-9g and evening primrose oil 1200mg (or OMEGALYZE by species nutrition) which is designed for this diet.

high intensity low volume training

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Don't see any reason it wouldn't work. Although, I'd opt for more of a paleo-style diet than a just a straight keto diet. I mean, having carbs from only non-starchy vegetables will essentially have you low-carbing it. Also, it's gonna be very healthy.. and delicious.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Don't see any reason it wouldn't work. Although, I'd opt for more of a paleo-style diet than a just a straight keto diet. I mean, having carbs from only non-starchy vegetables will essentially have you low-carbing it. Also, it's gonna be very healthy.. and delicious.

it will keep you hungry though because the fiber will bloat you and keep the stomach stretched. although 1-2 meals with green veggies is ok

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
it will keep you hungry though because the fiber will bloat you and keep the stomach stretched. although 1-2 meals with green veggies is ok
You mean, will keep you full.

Green beans are where it's at.. I'll go through like 6 cans a day on some occasions (no-salt added of course).

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
I was taught by an IFBB Pro, and we have always used the paleo diet with fantastic results...its certainly not the only way, but it has worked well for virtually everyone we've had on it...

holy

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You mean, will keep you full.

Green beans are where it's at.. I'll go through like 6 cans a day on some occasions (no-salt added of course).
at first it will keep you full but it will prevent your stomach from shrinking . thus keeping you hungry or not satisfyed after a meal

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
I was taught by an IFBB Pro, and we have always used the paleo diet with fantastic results...its certainly not the only way, but it has worked well for virtually everyone we've had on it...

holy
How do fruits work into this type of diet holy?

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
How do fruits work into this type of diet holy?

not holy, but fruits while dieting IMO are not a good idea, the only time they can be incorperated would be the morning when liver glycogen is low, the sugar in fruit (fructose) cannot be stored as muscle glycogen so when liver stores are full, its excess and stored as fat.

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
Agreed....fruits arent something Ive allowed clients to indulge freely in...

holy

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
What does paleo look like? 50/30/20 with all carbs coming from veggies?

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Ah but fruits are oh soo good and healthy! What about limiting them to post-workout?

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ah but fruits are oh soo good and healthy! What about limiting them to post-workout?

nope, i would say morning only

u want a better carrier for your creatine and protein ect post workout. fructose takes longer to digest and can cause signifigant bloat.

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
I copied this quickly from the first website that popped up, but essentially this is it in a nutshell....

Eat none of the following:

· Grains- including bread, pasta, noodles

· Beans- including string beans, kidney beans, lentils, peanuts, snow-peas and peas

· Potatoes

· Dairy products

· Sugar

· Salt

Eat the following:

· Meat, chicken and fish

· Eggs

· Fruit

· Vegetables (especially root vegetables, but definitely not including potatoes or sweet potatoes)

· Nuts, eg. walnuts, brazil nuts, macadamia, almond. Do not eat peanuts (a bean) or cashews (a family of their own)

· Berries- strawberries, blueberries, raspberries etc.

This is somewhat more restrictive than I am when Im doing contest prep for people...I do allow red potatos, I do allow some beans, I do allow some salt...I do try to limit red meats for certain individuals...this is just a very simple overview, and its not MY diet, its one I copied and pasted quickly just to kind of show the general outline...

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
I copied this quickly from the first website that popped up, but essentially this is it in a nutshell....

· Beans- including string beans, kidney beans, lentils, peanuts, snow-peas and peas

· Potatoes

· Dairy products

· Sugar

· Salt

Eat the following:

· Meat, chicken and fish

· Eggs

· Fruit

· Vegetables (especially root vegetables, but definitely not including potatoes or sweet potatoes)

· Nuts, eg. walnuts, brazil nuts, macadamia, almond. Do not eat peanuts (a bean) or cashews (a family of their own)

I believe the source of the above info (along w/other info) is: http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html

Def. worth a read. Interesting story too.

-Papa!-

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established

· Potatoes

· Dairy products

· Sugar

· Salt

Eat the following:

· Meat, chicken and fish

· Eggs

· Fruit

This is somewhat more restrictive than I am when Im doing contest prep for people...I do allow red potatos, I do allow some beans, I do allow some salt...I do try to limit red meats for certain individuals...this is just a very simple overview, and its not MY diet, its one I copied and pasted quickly just to kind of show the general outline...

In your professional opinion what do you think about anabolic diet on cycle?

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
In your professional opinion what do you think about anabolic diet on cycle?
I think that even though I primarily use a paleo type diet, that you can do amazing things with virtually any nutrition program that is well thought out...The Anabolic Diet falls into that category as well....the trick for most people is finding out which diet works best for them...you may try the Anabolic Diet and make a few tweaks and turn yourself into a fat burning, muscle building furnace machine. I have seen guys literally fall flat on their face using a diet that someone else used to perfection...we are all slightly different, and as such, require constant adjustments to our programs to reach optimum results...

holy

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I hear ya. I just don't want to be 3 weeks into a 4 week cycle and suddenly realize that the AD isn't working as well as a regular 40.40.20 diet would have in terms of adding muscle.

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
Im personally very leary of high fat diets...they can work really well, but in order to do so, I think you have to literally eliminate all carbs...most people arent mentally tough enough to pull that off.

holy

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I'm under 20g a day. Is that good enough? lol

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
How are your results thus far?

holy

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
For fat loss, I'd say satisfactory results. Definitely what I expected. I haven't tried bulking with it, though.