Keep muscle mass..with no lifting??

M

mdtech123

Awards
Sounds a little stupid, but this is my situation- I f***ed up my shoulders pretty bad, mostly by "working through the pain", because i didnt want to believe there was a problem. Well i got the results of my MRI and I have tendinosis in my supraspinatous, a SLAP tear Which is a tear in the tendon that connects ur bicep to your shoulder, and sublateral bursitis. These are all parts of the rotator cuff. So the doc says no upperbody workouts at all until after Physical therapy, and even then I'm gunna have to take it easy. SO what the hell can I do for possibly 3-4 months at least, to try not to lose all the muscle mass I have? change diet? cardio? legs? HELP.....

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
nothing u can really do, just get your injury healed and come back at it with a fury when your better.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
Sounds a little stupid, but this is my situation- I f***ed up my shoulders pretty bad, mostly by "working through the pain", because i didnt want to believe there was a problem. Well i got the results of my MRI and I have tendinosis in my supraspinatous, a SLAP tear Which is a tear in the tendon that connects ur bicep to your shoulder, and sublateral bursitis. These are all parts of the rotator cuff. So the doc says no upperbody workouts at all until after Physical therapy, and even then I'm gunna have to take it easy. SO what the hell can I do for possibly 3-4 months at least, to try not to lose all the muscle mass I have? change diet? cardio? legs? HELP.....
just had the same surgery and finished therapy. losing muscle is going to happen the best bet is to try ur best to keep it to a minimum. ive kept a high protein diet and have been doing cardio, abs, and calfs everyday. you work with what u can do. also i have been supplementing with bcaa's and standardized cissus quadrangularis. i have healed very quick and i think it is because of this. try and stay active some how and keep your diet in check. thats the most u can do. remember..this will keep u going..your going to have newbie gains all over again most likely. i look forward to it.

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
Check out the IGF/GH forum. Specifically read the stuff from pumbertot...

M

mdtech123

Awards
bigpapa, what surgery did u have specifically and how long until you could lift substantial weight again? will it ever be 100%?

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
OUCH....sorry to hear this bro, Best wishes, and I hope you heal fast.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
SLAP and labrum repair. just finished therapy. i healed very fast. i will not be going into the gym until after the new year. my surgery was on aug.20

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
Huh. I had been thinking of ways to heal a roatator cuff strain that occured about a month ago. It's been driving me nuts because like you guys, I haven't been able to lift.(God I miss my deadlifts.)

I had a pulse cycle planned for Oct/Nov, and was batting around the idea of running it anyway, just to see if it would help with the healing process.

My big problem is my job,though, it's loading trucks for UPS, and it's constant lifting for a few hours a night. It just doesn't give my shoulder enough of a break to heal, so it's been going very slowly.

OP, good luck and my best wishes on your recovery, I'm sure you'll be up and running before you know it.

jpk

jpk

Awards
Google the word AICAR to find out how to stay in good aerobic shape while laying on the couch!

For muscle mass: just get implants.

NO really, you'll have excellent muscle memory from all the training you've done. It won't be hard to pack it back on quickly (3-6 months) once you're able to get back to the heavy lifting.

Best of luck on your rehab! Keep us posted on progress.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
You also need to watch that diet too, you may seriously have to modify it, depending on how clean you are already eating. If you have to cut your exercise amount dramatically, you body will require less calories, and if you arent careful, you may pack on a little fat if you dont make some changes.

Marsh11

Marsh11

Awards
  • Established
I would think keep your BCAA's high to try and preserve that muscle