How far do you insert a pin, and have you ever snapped a pin?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.39%

How far do you insert a pin, and have you ever snapped a pin?

A lot of people, including medical professionals, bury the pin all the way up to the hub of the needle when injecting. I like using 1.5" pins so that I can leave 0.5" exposed in case **** happens (get distracted, hand slips, defective pin, etc). Then again, 25g pins flex quite a bit so maybe I'm just being paranoid. There's conflicting opinion on this as well around the web regarding how far to insert.

Just wondering if anyone has ever snapped a pin and how did you pull it out if it was buried really deep?

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.75%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

i bury it really deep and have never snapped anything, although i've only done about 30 shots or so, give or take. my hands tend to be pretty shaky for what it's worth. i just don't like the idea of having some extra pin hanging out for risk of subcutaneous injection/infection reasons. haven't had any problems with defective pins thus far. i am sure some people with a lot more pinning experience will chime in and make this easier....after a couple shots the pinning itself is no big deal, it's just the complications in the back of my mind that stress me out a bit
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.29%
    Achievements Posting Pro

You are not going to snap a pin...Ive seen insulin pins bent before, but never anything close to a pin breaking...Now, Ive seen the barrell of a syringe burst, but thats another story...LOL

holy
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.86%

yeah i've never snapped a pin even when i hit a nerve and the pin shook invoulantarily i have bent a pin slightly
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.83%
    Achievements Posting Pro

The worst I've ever done is hit a nerve and have my quad spasm...for what it's worth that didn't even bend the pin, let alone break it...
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.1%

yeah I think the correlation of bending pins and striking a nerve is low. extra movements beyond the in/out is probably the second biggest cause of post injection pain, after the gear itself. Some muscle groups do okay with a slightly bent needle, others. tje lean ones, will leave you hurting. Until recently I've never had any bad pain, hit a nerve once, and it was well shocking...electrical, but not a burning sensation that can occur from lower ester moieties, or low pH. I've got this hardening/knotting up, the stinging sensation has passed, but now it is big and hard. It was globular like but has since dissipated some since oil massage, soapy wash, IPM, alcohol. damn this isn't my post guess I got carried away there. but anyway I agree pins are very unlikely to snap, the only reason not to push all the way in is if there is some tendon or other structure that you don't want to hit. Also partial insertions can make it more difficult to hold the syringe steady.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  209 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.28%

use a 17 gauage they never brake
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.39%

Seriously,

What Is Everybody's Favorite Place To Inject???

Buttocks

Quad

Deltoid

If You Have To Do It Yourself
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.33%

Bro, I work in a place where I inject dozens of times a day. I use insulin needles all the time. you can actually bend them very very far and still use them to hit superficial veins. Trust me, they wont break. Ive never even heard of anywhere breaking one and thats a 25g.
  10. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.08%

Quote Originally Posted by AUTO View Post
    use a 17 gauage they never brake
    lmfao
    in all seriousness bro, are u like planning on injecting in an earthquake? why dont u take a needle and try to break it in half. then ask yourself how in the world could that sort of pressure be put on this needle while it was shoved in my thigh. this is a very common worry for guys in the bginning but as u get used to pinning it will all seem stupid later.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  209 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.28%

Quote Originally Posted by mooch2321 View Post
    lmfao
    in all seriousness bro, are u like planning on injecting in an earthquake? why dont u take a needle and try to break it in half. then ask yourself how in the world could that sort of pressure be put on this needle while it was shoved in my thigh. this is a very common worry for guys in the bginning but as u get used to pinning it will all seem stupid later.

that was a joke champ, i would take my fat off to you if you could get a 17 guage 1'' in.

i use 23 for everything except b12 i use 25, i also never double it up in a fit.

have fun
  12. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.08%

Quote Originally Posted by AUTO View Post
    that was a joke champ, i would take my fat off to you if you could get a 17 guage 1'' in.

i use 23 for everything except b12 i use 25, i also never double it up in a fit.

have fun
    i know that was a joke, it was very funny. i should have been more clear, the only comment directed at your post was the lmfao....the rest was directed to the op.
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.7%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I have given hundreds and hundreds of injections (in the med profession) and have never had any problems with the needles. Also I purposely try to put the needle in all the way. Needles come in diff lengths and sizes for a reason. Depending on what substance and site depicts what needle. Since slin needles are used most often then no worries. At least I wouldn't worry about it. Just learn to hit the right spots and aspirate and you should be fine.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222

Similar Forum Threads

1. (Insert Witty Title Here) MMV2 Log
    By Dadof2 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 04-02-2009, 11:39 PM
  2. Targetting Triceps That Insert High
    By doublejj77 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-15-2009, 12:05 PM