Question about medical use-personal use of steroids

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Didn't know how else to title this. But I may be asking a dumb question.

I have had Achilles Tendinitis for some time, its mostly healed now, just really weak. I can walk, play bball, baseball, tennis, but its still weak enough that its easily re injured.

My doc said they could give steroid shots in my legs to increase strength and muscle mass to help it repair. There are of course risks involved such as increased chance of rupture and so on.

But what is the diff from the doc sticking an injectable in meh legs and taking a small cycle of something like halo by myself?

I am still waiting some time before using such products, but still whats the diff?

I was told being on cycle with injured tendons can increase risk of rupture because of stronger contractile strength, but thats the same risk the doc is putting me through for oh i duno....300 bucks more than a fully supported cycle of orals? With the same risk, save that on a cycle you can put muscle mass on better than a few of the docs injections. I think.

I am interested in input from a medical perspective(i am still resilient to take any steroids actually, just more info for my book.).

hjunior58

Awards
Not a doc but just curious bc ive never heard of AAS being used as a treatment for tendonitis. Are you sure he wasnt offering you a cortico shot?

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I will double check, I was confused about why this is a treatment if it can make it worse while making it better. I will get the exact name. Could be either, which if it is the cort is a diff case altogether. But I was pretty sure its a steroid injection in my lower legs(which sounds pretty painful).

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will double check, I was confused about why this is a treatment if it can make it worse while making it better. I will get the exact name. Could be either, which if it is the cort is a diff case altogether. But I was pretty sure its a steroid injection in my lower legs(which sounds pretty painful).
It sounds more like a corticosteroid shot instead of an AAS.

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
There is no way he was going to give you AAS...it would be for off label use, and hence, unethical. The treatment was probably for a corticosteroid as Rodja mentioned. However, even if he were, it wouldnt work. AAS have no real benefits on tendon strength, and if anything, work against that goal.

holy

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input, like I said I just wanted to know what the deal is with the shots. The cortico steroid makes perfect sense because when I research it it shows one of the uses as to treat tendon or joint pain. So then is it just going to mask the pain or help repair? eh.....

thanks for clearing that up. I am in no way a medical kinda guy so, lol I was confused. Like I said I knew steroids could make tendinitis cases worse instead of better, and just didnt get it. Now I do.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
I agree with everyone else, its a Cortisone shot he was talking about, however, I cant comment on wether I think it would help or hurt your situation, but if the Doc suggested it, you might want to read up on it to see if it might be something you would want before totally dismissing it.

badfish51581

badfish51581

Awards
  • Established
No offense to the OP, but I love how society has even managed to taint a technical term like steroid to automatically mean AAS.

citystreets

Banned
Awards
  • Established
maybe youll get lucky and he'll give you hgh too lol