Is this true? Vitamin E inhibits the effect of PH conversion?

SUPAJAwS1

Awards
taken from this article by BigCat http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/catavoid.htm

Vitamin E and Prohormones

Vitamin E is a popular anti-oxidant amongst athletes and justly so. I myself supplement 400 IU most of the year. But when on a prohormones stack it may be wise to give it a rest for a couple of weeks. As a fat-soluble vitamin your storages are plentiful if you supplement year-round. But Vitamin E will inhibit the effect of prohormones, and even some test boosters. The conversion will not happen fully, and that's only if the prohormones actually reach receptors. You are potentially cutting your gains by 50 to 60 percent. Prohormones stack well with most supplements though. Just kick back the vitamin E, you'll be getting small amounts in your multi anyway.

soo?? Has this been proven to be indeed true?

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
I agree with his conclusion regarding not taking ZMA and calcium together and do not agree with his conclusion regarding not taking ribose and creatine together. (His argument reads like one that says you cannot take creatine and glutamine together since they share the same transport mechanism. This is not true with normal-sized doses, since your transport mechanism can handle perhaps 10 grams total at a time.) Hard to say about Vitamin E and prohormones. Personally, I would continue taking vitamin E since it is an important antioxidant. Until someone comes along with better information, your best bet might be to space it in-between prohormone doses to minimize any possible interaction.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
It brings up a good question certainly. Anecdotaly I was taking E with my multi as well as it being a componenet of my fish oil and flax pills..while on cycle and got very good gains. So who knows? Maybe its highly dose dependent or maybe its nothing to worry about.

Toneyfan

Awards
My first cycle I only gained 8 lbs off of, and that's when I was supplementing with 400-800 IU's of Vitamin E a day. At the end of that cycle I remember reading Big Cat's article, and was curious about the Vitamin E thing to say the least.

This next cycle(the one I just finished) I gained about 15 lbs, and I made sure not to take any Vitamin E at all, even from a Multivitamin(instead I supplemented with Vitamin C, Calcium, and B-Complex on their own).

So in my experience, I had better gains without Vitamin E during the 1-Test/4-Ad cycle. Take that for what it's worth.

neurotic

Awards
What about flax?

Inhibition of 5 alpha-reductase in genital skin fibroblasts and prostate tissue by dietary lignans and isoflavonoids.

Evans BA, Griffiths K, Morton MS.

Department of Child Health, University of Wales College of Medicine, Health Park, Cardiff, UK.

Isoflavonoids and lignans, constituents of many plant foods, have been proposed as protective agents in those populations with a low incidence of hormone-dependent cancers. They may act by their inhibition of the metabolism of growth-promoting steroid hormones. This report describes the inhibition of 5 alpha-reductase and 17 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase by six isoflavonoids and two lignans in human genital skin fibroblast monolayers and homogenates, and in benign prostatic hyperplasia tissue homogenates. In genital skin fibroblasts, genistein, biochanin A and equol were the most potent inhibitors of 5 alpha-reductase activity, each resulting in greater than 80% inhibition at a concentration of 100 microM. The IC50 values for genistein and a seven-compound mixture were approximately 35 microM and 20 microM (2.9 microM of each compound) respectively. Of the lignans, enterolactone was the most potent inhibitor. Inhibition by biochanin A was shown to be reversible. When genital skin fibroblast homogenates were used, biochanin A was found to inhibit 5 alpha-reductase isozymes 1 and 2 to differing extents (30% and 75% respectively). Genistein was shown to inhibit 5 alpha-reductase 2 in a non-competitive nature (Vmax and Km values without and with inhibitor were 30 and 20 pmol/mg protein per h and 177 and 170 nM respectively). All of the compounds tested inhibited 17 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activity in genital skin fibroblast monolayers. When prostate tissue homogenates were used, the compounds tested were better inhibitors of 5 alpha-reductase 1 than 2.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)

PMID: 7490559 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO MERCY

Awards
  • Established
taken from this article by BigCat http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/catavoid.htm

Vitamin E and Prohormones

Vitamin E is a popular anti-oxidant amongst athletes and justly so. I myself supplement 400 IU most of the year. But when on a prohormones stack it may be wise to give it a rest for a couple of weeks. As a fat-soluble vitamin your storages are plentiful if you supplement year-round. But Vitamin E will inhibit the effect of prohormones, and even some test boosters. The conversion will not happen fully, and that's only if the prohormones actually reach receptors. You are potentially cutting your gains by 50 to 60 percent. Prohormones stack well with most supplements though. Just kick back the vitamin E, you'll be getting small amounts in your multi anyway.

soo?? Has this been proven to be indeed true?
i took 400iu of vitamin E on top of my multi one ph cycle and only a multi on another identical ph cycle. My gains were excellent and basically identical with and without the vitamin E. This is just my personal experience.

neurotic

Awards
I have learnt that you have to take BigCat's statements with a high degree of caution. For instance, in that same article, if I'm not mistaken, he advocated against the usage of anti-estrogens saying that they would reduce gains to a big degree. That's clearly an overstatement.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
yeah im kinda of weary to believe some of that too because if you read his ICE training system it advocates using extremely high volume, we are talking like 10 ore more sets for JUST biceps..insane in my opinion.. im gonna stick with the vit E while on m-1-t.. need those anti oxidants

neurotic

Awards
yeah im kinda of weary to believe some of that too because if you read his ICE training system it advocates using extremely high volume, we are talking like 10 ore more sets for JUST biceps..insane in my opinion.. im gonna stick with the vit E while on m-1-t.. need those anti oxidants
With 1-test you aren't going to have a problem anyway due to the fact that it doesn't rely on any enzyme conversion because it's not a prohormone,it's a steroid.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Would it also affect transdermal absorption as well, it does affect absorption at all ?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Agreed Nuerotic. BigCat has done great things for BB and to help people understand some of the science behind it but he's a student last time I checked and not an endocrinologist.

IMO I'm thinking vitiman E is nothing to worry about when on cycle. I think trying to grow mscle quickly without E would be counterproductive.