Androgen Receptors

Buffgammaman

Awards
Hi guys I'm new to this forum and somewhat new to the whole steroids game (I've done some prohormones but that's it) I got a question for you all relating to a side effect of steroids that I've heard about, but I don't know if any scientic experiments have shown it to be true or not or whether or not avid steroid users have actually had this happen to them.

I have read that after taking steroids for awhile that your androgen receptors will get destroyed or down regulated. First of all I would like to know if this is true and if it is are the effects reversable, as in you will get new receptors after you stop usage of the gear for awhile or is it perminat?

Second I would like to know if any of you guys who have taken gear for awhile and then stoped for several months, well long enogh for your gnrh levels to return to normal. If after words you still had normal labido, could keep weght and gained the same amount of strenth from working out as you did before you took the gear?

It's possble if you did not return to your normal selves after your natural testosteron levels came back online that you might have had down regulated or less androgen receptors.

MizXXL

Awards
This is a great post, I have been in question about muscle receptors ever since starting to use Ph's I am curious to hear the answer.

As far as your hormones bouncing back all I can say is that it is key to run proper PCT. If this is done correctly you should be back to normal in a month or two, or well on the way to "normal". If proper PCT is not ran it will be a lot longer recovery time.

MizXXL

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
Your receptors will become saturated while you are on high amounts of exogenous testosterone...when you come off, it takes a while for your body to return to normal...there isnt any regrowing or replacing of receptors. How long it takes is dependant on a few factors...One is genetic, two is what chemical you took, how much, and for how long, and three is what type (if any) PCT you did....each of these are directly responsible for what happens to you after a cycle.

Your libido, maintaining weight, mood, energy levels, etc...are all going to be tied in to what I mentioned above. You can very much manipulate the outcome of each of those by determining how you handle those factors I mentioned above....It is highly unlikely that if you did a "normal" cycle (if there is such a thing) that you would experience permanent shutdown or anything like that.

holy

Buffgammaman

Awards
Thanks holy that's great info. it seems with proper pct most people can be back to normal with in a month but I'm still wondering if your androgen receptors would be unable to respond to normal amounts of testosterone for awhile. I mean is it possible that long use of steroids can damage them or is this just some crap made up by the media? If it is true would it depend on the steroid used?

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
I have only seen one person who had long lasting suppression...that person used deca only for a long cycle....Im sure it happens sometimes, but I dont think its common at all.

holy

krogtaar

Awards
i think so based on the similar downregulation/homeostasis mechanisms humans have, but ive never seen research on this, and doubt much exists, because you can't really measure the concentration of receptors like you can with free floating testosterone.

i think the idea is to just fill up the receptors and provide all the optimal stimulation for muscle growth, and when you come off, you won't loose all the muscle as your natural test is restoring

Buffgammaman

Awards
i think so based on the similar downregulation/homeostasis mechanisms humans have, but ive never seen research on this, and doubt much exists, because you can't really measure the concentration of receptors like you can with free floating testosterone.

i think the idea is to just fill up the receptors and provide all the optimal stimulation for muscle growth, and when you come off, you won't loose all the muscle as your natural test is restoring

That's true so long as you have the same amount of receptors that you did before the cycle and there funtioning properly.

It stands to reason that testosterone when taken to suplement a work our would not down regulate any. considering your body makes the hormone anyways but perhaps these other steroids have some kind of damaging affect to the receptors. The first artical I read about this was on Wiki and the second I forgot but I do know that one just used steroids as a general term and the other said anavar can do this so I don't know.

It's good that almost everybody returns to normal after a month or so of good pct. Maybe this is just media garbage (I hope it is)