Do you think there will ever be another 30 game winner?

• Thread starter Distilled Water
  • Start date

Do you think MLB will ever see another 30 game winner?

• Yes

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters
Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It seems tougher and tougher for guys to win 20 games now-a-days but does anyone think there will ever be another 30game winner?

Me and some team mates were having this discussion the other day during a rain delay so I thought I'd ask you guys to see what you think.

Personally I don't think so. I kinda did this year with Verlander and the Tigers offense (what it was suppose to be) since he had 17 his rookie year and 18 last year. Right now he's 6-9 with a 4.24 ERA.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Honestly bro, i doubt it will happen again. It certainly could under 'pristine' circumstances, however it's almost a dead issue.

No one single pitcher is that dominant anymore. The hitters these days adjust so well to the pitching that it's almost scary.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
I seriously doubt it as pitchers are used quite differently now and as a result don't appear to have the same stamina over the course of a season. btw, when was the last time someone won 25 games

:bruce3:

IainDaniel

Awards
I think it is highly unlikely. A couple of Reasons. Most pitchers get barely over 30 starts a season.

In 1969, they lowered the pitching mound, taking the Advantage away from the pitcher. The last 30 Game winner was in 1968 and before that in the 1930's.

IainDaniel

Awards
I seriously doubt it as pitchers are used quite differently now and as a result don't appear to have the same stamina over the course of a season. btw, when was the last time someone won 25 games

Bob Welch 1990 27 wins.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yea I honestly think if Verlander and return to (I hate to say this) "rookie or sophomore" form and the tigers offense was to play up to their salary standards. I really think he'd have a legit shot at 30 games. I'm not saying this as a fan but if we look into the stats his ERA was 3.63 and 3.66 with 187 and 201 innings pitched. Now even when the tigers are losing this year they are scoring about 3 runs per game.

He was also going close to 7.0 innings per start in 07 and 06 now granted he only had 30 and 32 starts. I think it could be done. Again I know these are all IF's but I think it could be done Look out for C.C. 30game winner next season, yes im flip flopping, Just call me Obama :run:

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
Yea I honestly think if Verlander and return to (I hate to say this) "rookie or sophomore" form and the tigers offense was to play up to their salary standards. I really think he'd have a legit shot at 30 games. I'm not saying this as a fan but if we look into the stats his ERA was 3.63 and 3.66 with 187 and 201 innings pitched. Now even when the tigers are losing this year they are scoring about 3 runs per game.

He was also going close to 7.0 innings per start in 07 and 06 now granted he only had 30 and 32 starts. I think it could be done. Again I know these are all IF's but I think it could be done Look out for C.C. 30game winner next season, yes im flip flopping, Just call me Obama :run:
I'd rather call you McCain:toofunny:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Go American League Tonight!

IainDaniel

Awards

How about you put Roy Halladay on a winning Team. Potential 30 game winner as well. Already has 7 cg games, pitches like the old time pitchers. Career Era of 3.55 and the last few years has been under 3

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How about you put Roy Halladay on a winning Team. Potential 30 game winner as well. Already has 7 cg games, pitches like the old time pitchers. Career Era of 3.55 and the last few years has been under 3
Yea thats true! If he went to the NL west he may have 30wins by the all-start break. Roy is one of the most underrated pitcher of all time IMO. Oh and Time Wakefeild, shout out to the T1!

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
No. Definitely not in this day and age. A lot of the best don't have the run support to qualify for wins day-in-day-out (see Kevin Millwood, 2005.)

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
besides the run support, contenders dont want their starters burning out prior to september and october. it is a different game these days

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Man are you guys seeing what C.C. is doing with the brewers?!?!?! I really think he'll have a legit shot next year. He's going into the 7th or 8th in each game thus far but he's doing it on 100 pitches.

When I say legit I mean for this day and age. I think if anyone will do it within the next few years it would be him.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think it is on the list of achievements that will not happen again.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
I agree. I'd love to see it, but I wouldn't bet on it happening.
No. Definitely not in this day and age. A lot of the best don't have the run support to qualify for wins day-in-day-out (see Kevin Millwood, 2005.)
Speak of the devil..

By the way, Millwood had a 2.86 era and didn't even get 10 wins on the season. Wasn't even .500. 9-11. FAAAAN-TASTIC Indians.

By the way, all this CC madness has me so bitter you can't even believe.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Speak of the devil..

By the way, Millwood had a 2.86 era and didn't even get 10 wins on the season. Wasn't even .500. 9-11. FAAAAN-TASTIC Indians.

By the way, all this CC madness has me so bitter you can't even believe.
haha yea a little. My buddy is a die hard Indians fan...I mean die hard. He was so depressed after the CC trade. He just went on for hours about how he had seen CC's 1st MLB start and was rambling off facts like the game happened yesterday.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
Hahahaha. I feel his pain, only I can't be completely empathetic because I'm a little bit of a fairweather fan I'll admit. I remember the news of his first few games with the Indians, talking about it with my dad after a little league baseball game in the baseball complex's parking lot. I was so young oh god I miss you CC

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
Hahahaha. I feel his pain, only I can't be completely empathetic because I'm a little bit of a fairweather fan I'll admit. I remember the news of his first few games with the Indians, talking about it with my dad after a little league baseball game in the baseball complex's parking lot. I was so young oh god I miss you CC
And now CC looks like he's dialed in for filth! All of a sudden the guy's on freaking fire! I feel your pain, MrB!!! I liked CC as an Indian; kinda hard to see him anywhere else...

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
I don't know about winning 30 games but CC Sabathia is a Badd man. If I were Milwaukee, I would move heaven and earth to keep him. A dream match-up would have been him against Santana in a one game playoff with the Mets but that wasn't in the schedule and the Mets choked again anyway, which I can't say I'm sad about. Unlike a lot of Yankee fans I don't hate the Mets but, some of my friends have pissed me off with their mouths so they can now enjoy the NY golf tournament as well.:woohoo:

bryan4592

Awards
Unless some team goes to a 4 man rotation, not a chance.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
This isn't happening because teams don't use their pitchers like they used to. It would realistically take a pitcher about 40 starts and 300+ innings to have a shot. I doubt most teams are going to put this much milage on a pitcher in 1 year.

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
Most pitchers get what, 1 start per week? In 6 months that is 24 starts. You would have to avaerage about 2 starts per week and I don't see that happening.