Not open for further replies.
Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think it's time to start up a pre-season thread to discuss the upcoming season. As most of you already know, I love d'em Gators!! I hope to get up to both of the games vs. UM and LSU this year in gainesville. GO GATORS!!!!

Let the maddness begin Ladies and Gentlemen!! :djparty:

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
CFB=My Life!

I hope your gators do very well man! Tebow is probably my favorite player in college right now.

I am a Pac-10 fan w/ my team being Berkeley. I am not expecting much but i think we will do better than ppl think!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
CFB=My Life!

I hope your gators do very well man! Tebow is probably my favorite player in college right now.

I am a Pac-10 fan w/ my team being Berkeley. I am not expecting much but i think we will do better than ppl think!
Nice! It gets crazy around my house during CFB season! :D Even my wife is a HUGE gator fan.

I love my boy Tebow. I'm VERY excited to hear he plans to play all 4 years at UF before entering the draft. I just dread that he'll go to an NFL team that I despise. Oh well, i'll still love the kid anyway. After all, he'll always be a GATOR!!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hate to acknowledge I am an ND fan, but i am and we suck. However Claussen will be good damn it

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Gators all the way baby!!!!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hate to acknowledge I am an ND fan, but i am and we suck. However Claussen will be good damn it
I have nothing against the fighting irish myself. Be proud brother! :)

Gator Alum 03

Gator Alum 03

Awards
  • Established
With 59 days still until CFB kicks off this time of the year is rough! The season can't come soon enough.

Hey...Beano Cook says Notre Dame will win at least 9 games…maybe 10. Here's to hoping!

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
Heres to my Tampa boys: GO USF!!!!!

Each year, the program improves a lot, and last year was a breakout year. :nutkick:
Wish I lived in Tampa still. I'd totally buy season tix.

Too bad my boys from Tallahassee are stuck in a several year funk. Bowden is a legend, but its time for him to walk away.

Bum Mahoney

Bum Mahoney

Awards
Pitt! Hey, I can dream still, right? Beano rules.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Each year, the program improves a lot, and last year was a breakout year. :nutkick:

Too bad my boys from Tallahassee are stuck in a several year funk. Bowden is a legend, but its time for him to walk away.
Tallahassee BOOOO!! ;)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Trauma, I know we go wayyy back, but I would totally neg rep you for that comment if I could.:stick:

Gators:box:Noles
I'd neg you too for the tallahassee post! ;)

Gators--> :saw:---> Noles

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
This is the first year in the last 3 that I haven't started the pre-season CFB thread.

Haven't been to the Sports forum much at all since the Super Bowl. Meant to do this thread this weekend - you beat me Traum.

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
Well, let me jump into this one and piss off you Florida folks, but I'm really looking forward to my UGA Bulldogs making a run for the national title. The UGA v UF game should be one of the best games of the year.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Well, let me jump into this one and piss off you Florida folks, but I'm really looking forward to my UGA Bulldogs making a run for the national title. The UGA v UF game should be one of the best games of the year.
Eh - whatever. I'm no Gate fan, but I'll believe you guys winning it all when it happens.

UGa hasn't lived up to expectations when they are the favorite. You guys finished great last year - but laid 2 horrid eggs early on (S. Carolina and Tennessee).

Really curious to see if Richt can lay aside the sort of Chokelahoma early season stuff I've seen out of UGa since Hershel Walker.

All the bullets are pointed at the Dogs. Likely top 3 start in the polls. Horrid non-conference schedule (but that's to be expected).
Probably one of the hardest conference schedules in the SEC with playing at LSU, Gates looking for revenge, Vols flying under the radar IMO.

Can they play every game with lights out focus and execution????

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established

'09 USF at Miami. You guys should probably have scheduled us last year...

You mean a rut since 2000 for the Noles, right?
They will continue to be bad until (A) Bobby dies or (B) JoePa dies. Those 2 will hang on until one of them is assured the CFB wins record.

And don't give me that Jimbo crap bringing them back. They are in much worse shape than most FSU fans will admit. They aren't one player or one coach away from reclaiming the 80's and 90's glory.
(The reasonable FSU fans understand all this - it's just the WarChant moderators that don't...)

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Wolfpack!

We're Nuclear Powered.

Attachments

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I think it's time to start up a pre-season thread to discuss the upcoming season. As most of you already know, I love d'em Gators!! I hope to get up to both of the games vs. UM and LSU this year in gainesville. GO GATORS!!!!
My analysis of UM at UF is this:
I think you guys will win, but it's not nearly as concrete as every Gator fan I've seen (or talked to) has said.
You guys have the experience - esp. at QB. Your D is a question mark, in my mind. Major Wright is a damn good cover safety - needs improvement in coverage. Unsure on the LB's and D - but to lose D. Harvey to the Jags is pretty big.

Your RB situation is strange. Harvin is very good at the position - but outside of him I don't think you have game breaker yet. WR - can't say I'm that familiar.

We have a new QB but our RB position is more settled (seemingly). We have a bruiser in Javarrious James and 2 outside guys in Craig Cooper and Shawnbrey McNeal.
Our WR position is young. I'd expect a lot of soph's and frosh to play. Our upperclass WR's aren't very good.
TE - a position we used to throw to quite a bit - is unsettled, but I think we'll find someone capable. We've had a TE drafted quite a bit in the '00's.

Our D has question marks, but should really benefit from a new DC (Bill Young - former DC at Kansas). I think Young will really change the tempo, use our players where their strengths lie, and just bring a different style than the past.
Meyer will have his work cut out for him. He'll have film on Young, but not with the speed Miami has.

We have taken some injuries on the DL this spring/summer. Looks like the super frosh DT Marcus Forston will be playing quite a bit. I'm hoping he turns out like Marvin Austin at UNC and not a complete dud (like some Miami guys the last few year). DEnd looks to have a bit more depth. We'll have frosh in the rotation though.
LB has the most returning guys - not sure that's a good thing. We'll bring in the true frosh quite a bit, IMO. Big time recruits Arthur Brown and Sean Spence at MLB and WLB, respectively.

We lost our best guy in the secondary in Kenny Phillips to the NYGiants. Big loss. We've got a lot of guys that have played safety, but I'm not sure who will play Free and Strong out of the bunch. The corners will be returning guys. I think we'll have super recruit Brandon Harris playing quite a bit as depth.

I think the key matchup is our offense against your defense. We know you guys will get your points. I think Young will adjust to the Gator scheme. Should eliminate a blow out. The key is then can we score points and play good ball control offense to limit the chances the new QB has to take.

Not sure who has the edge on special teams. We had a terrible return game last year and I have no idea who's doing punts and kick-offs this year. Our coverage sucked - I think it will only get better with some of these super frosh on special teams.

Anyway - this is your best chance to beat us since '85. Better take advantage of it. Doubt any Gator fans can live with 6 straight losses to The U. :bruce2:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Hi Bob,
Aloha from the horrid ACC.

Sad state of affairs when Clemson (afflicted with the same deal as UGa) is by far and way the best team in the conference in the pre-season.
(No offense to the Tigers, but even they know they don't play anywhere near expectations.)

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LeSean McCoy is THE best complete RB in CFB, IMO.

No one knows who he is - so K. Moreno for UGa gets all the pub.
Hey now i knew LeSean before he even got the starting roll at Pitt i knew hed do some damage(i'm not gonna lie tho when u said best complete RB in CFB i got mad...thought about it...then i agreed.... :D )

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Hi Bob,
Aloha from the horrid ACC.
:toofunny:

My bias is simply cause it's where I went. I know they aren't the best team. :)

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Hey now i knew LeSean before he even got the starting roll at Pitt i knew hed do some damage(i'm not gonna lie tho when u said best complete RB in CFB i got mad...thought about it...then i agreed.... :D )
I was really mad that he didn't go to Miami after prep school at Milford.

You know he committed to us during his senior year?

Ah well - teams go on. I knew McCoy would be a great one.
I think getting Craig Cooper, who was on Milford with him, didn't help as I've heard McCoy doesn't like the thought of having work 100% for a starting spot. (Not that he couldn't have won the RB job at Miami - I don't think it would have been handed to him.)

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was really mad that he didn't go to Miami after prep school at Milford.

You know he committed to us during his senior year?

Ah well - teams go on. I knew McCoy would be a great one.
I think getting Craig Cooper, who was on Milford with him, didn't help as I've heard McCoy doesn't like the thought of having work 100% for a starting spot. (Not that he couldn't have won the RB job at Miami - I don't think it would have been handed to him.)
Yep i actually personally was disappointed he didn't go to the U myself but looks like things are working out fine for him in Pitt

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established

My bias is simply cause it's where I went. I know they aren't the best team. :)
The whole conference just sucks. It's killing me.

I've wanted to go to a game at Carter-Finely for a long time now. My best chance distance-wise was in college, but now that I have the money and it's not worth going to a UM-NCSt game. (Who wants to watch some 9-7 barn burner with 18 combined turn-overs?)

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Yep i actually personally was disappointed he didn't go to the U myself but looks like things are working out fine for him in Pitt
They featured him very well last year. I'm not sure we could have figured out how to do that...

Plus with Javarrious James still around - he would have split the carries early on at best.

Kid probably made the best decision with regard to the NFL. They won't win anything though.
Miami at least has a chance in '09.

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
Eh - whatever. I'm no Gate fan, but I'll believe you guys winning it all when it happens.

UGa hasn't lived up to expectations when they are the favorite. You guys finished great last year - but laid 2 horrid eggs early on (S. Carolina and Tennessee).

Really curious to see if Richt can lay aside the sort of Chokelahoma early season stuff I've seen out of UGa since Hershel Walker.

All the bullets are pointed at the Dogs. Likely top 3 start in the polls. Horrid non-conference schedule (but that's to be expected).
Probably one of the hardest conference schedules in the SEC with playing at LSU, Gates looking for revenge, Vols flying under the radar IMO.

Can they play every game with lights out focus and execution????
Yeah, I agree. That's the question for UGA....can they keep the motivation for every game this season. On paper, they have the best offense they've had in years....defense should be pretty solid too. The schedule is horrid this year, it doesn't favor a title run, but should they finish with no losses or even possibly one they should be in the picture for the title. Of the two...UGA and UF, UF has the more favorable schedule for a title run. We'll see how it shakes out.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I like my Bulls too but the Gators are my life!!!

Gator Alum 03

Gator Alum 03

Awards
  • Established
jmh80, you know your college football. Good to see :clap2:

I think when UM and UF face off it will be closer than what some are predicting, but I still think by the the second half we will pull away. I expect big things out of Chris Rainey, who Urban Meyer has already stated will start in the slot, but will also get his touches out of the backfield. The middle of our D line is a question mark, as we've been plagued with problems at DT throughout last year. I've heard our corners have made great strides but time will tell. Our DE's will be monsters for us this year though...that I will guarantee. 6'8'' DE Carlos Dunlap will be a household name before too long...

jmh, How is DE Allen Bailey's rehab coming along? I heard when he tore his pec but I hadn't heard anything else since then.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It appears i've missed a lot in this thread haha.

I'll catch up later tonight. :)

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
RU baby!

I hope to hit every home game this year.

I also love to follow Georgia because of Knowshon (he grew up one town over, got to play some ball against him back in high school. Dude was INSANE, top 3 draft pick when he comes out)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is the first year in the last 3 that I haven't started the pre-season CFB thread.

Haven't been to the Sports forum much at all since the Super Bowl. Meant to do this thread this weekend - you beat me Traum.
We can make it OUR thread brother. You've done the CFB thread years beforehand, so i respect that. :)

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
jmh80, you know your college football. Good to see :clap2:

I think when UM and UF face off it will be closer than what some are predicting, but I still think by the the second half we will pull away. I expect big things out of Chris Rainey, who Urban Meyer has already stated will start in the slot, but will also get his touches out of the backfield. The middle of our D line is a question mark, as we've been plagued with problems at DT throughout last year. I've heard our corners have made great strides but time will tell. Our DE's will be monsters for us this year though...that I will guarantee. 6'8'' DE Carlos Dunlap will be a household name before too long...

jmh, How is DE Allen Bailey's rehab coming along? I heard when he tore his pec but I hadn't heard anything else since then.
Last I heard about Bailey was that he'd be back for the first game. I added him on Facebook - will see if he's got any info up.

Dude is a BEAST. He looks the part of a D-end. Dunno how he'll play though.

I admit I'm not up and up with the Gator D outside of Major.

I dunno if you guys will pull away. I think Bill Young will make adjustments on the fly.
Who knows though. Meyer can adjust the O as well.

That's why you play the games, gentlemen.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My analysis of UM at UF is this:
I think you guys will win, but it's not nearly as concrete as every Gator fan I've seen (or talked to) has said.
You guys have the experience - esp. at QB. Your D is a question mark, in my mind. Major Wright is a damn good cover safety - needs improvement in coverage. Unsure on the LB's and D - but to lose D. Harvey to the Jags is pretty big.

Your RB situation is strange. Harvin is very good at the position - but outside of him I don't think you have game breaker yet. WR - can't say I'm that familiar.

We have a new QB but our RB position is more settled (seemingly). We have a bruiser in Javarrious James and 2 outside guys in Craig Cooper and Shawnbrey McNeal.
Our WR position is young. I'd expect a lot of soph's and frosh to play. Our upperclass WR's aren't very good.
TE - a position we used to throw to quite a bit - is unsettled, but I think we'll find someone capable. We've had a TE drafted quite a bit in the '00's.

Our D has question marks, but should really benefit from a new DC (Bill Young - former DC at Kansas). I think Young will really change the tempo, use our players where their strengths lie, and just bring a different style than the past.
Meyer will have his work cut out for him. He'll have film on Young, but not with the speed Miami has.

We have taken some injuries on the DL this spring/summer. Looks like the super frosh DT Marcus Forston will be playing quite a bit. I'm hoping he turns out like Marvin Austin at UNC and not a complete dud (like some Miami guys the last few year). DEnd looks to have a bit more depth. We'll have frosh in the rotation though.
LB has the most returning guys - not sure that's a good thing. We'll bring in the true frosh quite a bit, IMO. Big time recruits Arthur Brown and Sean Spence at MLB and WLB, respectively.

We lost our best guy in the secondary in Kenny Phillips to the NYGiants. Big loss. We've got a lot of guys that have played safety, but I'm not sure who will play Free and Strong out of the bunch. The corners will be returning guys. I think we'll have super recruit Brandon Harris playing quite a bit as depth.

I think the key matchup is our offense against your defense. We know you guys will get your points. I think Young will adjust to the Gator scheme. Should eliminate a blow out. The key is then can we score points and play good ball control offense to limit the chances the new QB has to take.

Not sure who has the edge on special teams. We had a terrible return game last year and I have no idea who's doing punts and kick-offs this year. Our coverage sucked - I think it will only get better with some of these super frosh on special teams.

Anyway - this is your best chance to beat us since '85. Better take advantage of it. Doubt any Gator fans can live with 6 straight losses to The U. :bruce2:
I think the game will be closer than most expect, however UF will pull away in the second half. I know our offense will score quite a bit this year. I'd look for percy harvin to have his best year yet this year. Our defense is the variable factor. If we can put together a decent defense, our offense will be able to win the games outright. In all honesty, if florida plays on their game all year they're looking at a title shot if they keep everything in line.

Our offense is both versatile and deadly. However, it's not what worries me. It's our defense. Major Wright should be a HUGE factor, however we need to play MUCH better than last year. IF that happens, you can expect UF to be in contention for the national championship. I think Riley Cooper should have a strong year at WR. Chirs Rainey is one fast mofo!

JMH, you have to hit me up when the game gets closer. I'll be up there for the game for sure. Even though youre a UM fan......BOOOOOO. ;), we need to have a beer before we do battle. The whole SEC looks to be good this year. Bring it on!!!

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Bailey says something like "back up and running - not 100% yet" a few days ago.

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
Bumping this one...hopefully to spur more conversation.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Go Gators Baby!!!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn, go Irish, I am thinking 12-0 this year

more like 4-8:sad:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey now, I coulda made it say.....Go 'Noles baby!!!
True.....The bulls aren't so bad actually. Definitely more tolerable than the noles! :)

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Attention Gator fans - discuss the following post I saw on a Rivals forum about your depth at safety now that junior Dorian Munroe is out for the season with an ACL tear.

I know you guys like to rip the lack of experience of The U - but I see no real differences ex-Wright in either secondary.
You'll be playing true frosh Will Hill - we'll be playing true frosh Ramon Buchanon.

(Also saw DB John Curtis is out with an ACL tear also. What's the deal with him? I've not heard of him.))

Florida's depth at safety has taken a severe hit since the end of last season.

Jerimy Finch, the top-rated safety in the 2007 class by Rivals.com, has transferred; Jamar Hornsby was kicked off the team after he allegedly used the credit card of Ashley Slonina, the Florida student who died in a motorcycle accident in October along with former UF football player Michael Guilford; and four-star recruit Dee Finley, the sixth-best safety in the 2008 class by Rivals.com, could not make it academically and will go to prep school at Milford Academy in New York this season.

The pressure now builds on Wright, who finished fourth on the team in tackles as a freshman with 68, to become the leader at safety. Wright also had four forced fumbles and an interception.

Sophomore Ahmad Black, a converted cornerback, will be expected to see some more action at safety. He was one of the surprise performers in spring practice. Bryan Thomas might also be an option. Five-star freshman Will Hill, the top-rated athlete by Rivals.com, should also see more action since depth has become such an issue.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
my national title prediction is the winner of UGA/UF against the winner of OSU/USC, although it's very possible for the loser of USC/OSU to run the table for the rest of the season and slip back in. SEC will be the best and big ten will be weak again. For Heisman, I think Tebow will have a great shot with such a good Florida offense, but they might hesitate to give someone the Heisman twice, so Chase Daniel, Knoswhon Moreno, and my sleeper pick, Michael Crabtree all have a shot.

here's an interesting article about the top "workout warriors"- http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=feldman_bruce&id=3420212

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
graduated from auburn but a huge crimson tide fan so I'm screwed no matter the way but, I think this is ga best chance for a title...all they have to do is run the table...not an easy task but very do-able...actually I'm pulling for them this yr, somewhat.

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
graduated from auburn but a huge crimson tide fan so I'm screwed no matter the way but, I think this is ga best chance for a title...all they have to do is run the table...not an easy task but very do-able...actually I'm pulling for them this yr, somewhat.

Thanks for the support (somewhat)....go dawgs!!

It will be interesting at the end of the year to see if either Knowshon or Stafford will leave early. Either way, GA is pretty well set with Caleb King (who some say is better than Knowshon) to run the ball. And QB Logan Gray is possibly a better passer than Stafford, but with better legs.

I'm also looking forward to seeing if GA's true freshman receiver can live up to the hype.

Gotta be honest, I don't really know much about the depth of the other teams in the SEC. But I do believe that the SEC is teh conference to beat. The ACC has made some good strides though in the past few seasons. Clemson will be a team to watch this year.

On a side note, even if OSU runs the table this year, I believe they should be banned from the title game just based on their past two year's performance.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
That's terrible bro. At least I can claim I'm not that bad - Tennessee grad but grew up a Hurricanes fan in south Florida. (Miami doesn't have engineering so was forced to go somewhere else for undergrad.)

But - the Iron Bowl? Man alive.

Not sure I agree. I'm taking a wait and see approach with the Dawgs early on in the season. If they can make it through - maybe, just maybe.
But for all the hype last year - they didn't win their half of the SEC...

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Gotta be honest, I don't really know much about the depth of the other teams in the SEC. But I do believe that the SEC is teh conference to beat. The ACC has made some good strides though in the past few seasons. Clemson will be a team to watch this year.

On a side note, even if OSU runs the table this year, I believe they should be banned from the title game just based on their past two year's performance.
As I've mentioned in this thread - the Gator secondary is paper thin. Tennessee is pretty young - new QB. Dunno about S. Carolina.
Those are your 4 contenders for the SEC East title.

Agree with you on OSU. I'm tired of them going in and losing. It's getting retarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.