ice hockey

warren

Awards
hey people im in england and have never played before and was just wondering if you guys have any tips on it. im looking to join my ni team next year, was going to join football buyt sin splints have halted that.

im 5'11'' 178lbs but should be 185lbs by then, what type of position are players my size usually.

thanks warren

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Watch out, avalanche of Canadians incoming! ;) JK, well it is our national sport with lacrosse.

Anyways, you really want to work on your legs. Train them the hardest because speed is one of the biggest assets. I would suggest doing some power-skating training/classes. I will let some more qualified Canadians chime in about the position for you since I mostly watch hockey and don't play it (I do rugby and football).

warren

Awards
is running anything to judge off with speed? i run the 40 in about a 5.1 which aint great but gives a rough est i would run it faster if i didnt have sin splints

thanks

IainDaniel

Awards
No comparison to running.

Balance and technique will play a key.

Have you skated before?

How big are the players you will be playing against? At your size, I wouldn't really put you on Defence, but I don't know your abilities, nor puck handling skills.

warren

Awards
i ave skated before and can keep on my feet, nothing special. i can speed skate but cant really stop that well. i can fight well if that helps lol

warren

Awards
also whats the craic can i just skate over to the guy with the puck and knock him on his arse?

warren

Awards
left wing, is that the position? does it matter im right handed

Marcus ATW

Marcus ATW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Warren

left wing, is that the position? does it matter im right handed
Yup thats the position. Nope it doesn't matter that your right handed. In fact you have a better angle shooting from the left wing being right handed. Either right or left wing is fine. You should pick the wing that is closest to the bench this way 2 out of the 3 periods you don't have to skate as far to get off the ice.
The reason I didn't suggest center is because a center has a lot more skating to do every shift. The reason I didn't suggest defense is because one needs to be a skilled skater to play that position it mostly consist mainly of skating backwards. In time if you stick with it you will get there. Its a great game you will love it ;0) :woohoo: Right or left wing is definitely your best bet :woohoo:

Marcus ATW

Marcus ATW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Warren

also whats the craic can i just skate over to the guy with the puck and knock him on his arse?
LOL yeah as long as he has the puck.
**Never hit a guy if you can see the back of his jersey numbers**
You need to be in front of him or on the side of him.
The key in Hockey is to keep your head up at all times. The skater with the puck with his head down is going to get run over and hell never see it coming.

warren

Awards
cheers mate im so exited now lol im sure i will take some big hit but by hell ik give them too lol i cant beleive i never noticed this sport too much before now lol.

what happens when you see the fight?? is it aloud to punch someone that annoys you??? that will be awesome lol so many times i have wanted to do this in football (soccer to you guys )

Marcus ATW

Marcus ATW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Warren

cheers mate im so exited now lol im sure i will take some big hit but by hell ik give them too lol i cant beleive i never noticed this sport too much before now lol.

what happens when you see the fight?? is it aloud to punch someone that annoys you??? that will be awesome lol so many times i have wanted to do this in football (soccer to you guys )
LOL I don't know what kind of league it is. Make sure you have a full shield or cage on if you like having your own teeth.Usually fights don't last long in mens leagues and there are usually suspentions involved. Here is what not to do YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

warren

Awards
hahaha, i dont know wat people in the us are like but im pretty vengefull person and ill garuntee if some one cheap shots me they betterkeep there fckin helmate on after the game as it wont be my hockey stick going aross his head but me car. i love rough and tumble tho lol

i play football uk kind lol and there was a defender for the team i support and he was known as a hard ass and he had a game up coming against a very trick player so to scare the guy he sent him a letter apoogising in advance and attached was a menu from the local hospital infermary lol i love that man lol

Bum Mahoney

Bum Mahoney

Awards
The key in Hockey is to keep your head up at all times. The skater with the puck with his head down is going to get run over and hell never see it coming.
Minnesota guy here. I learned that the hard way. Practice this at home: Get a ball, tennis, etc., and just practice handling it back and forth in front of you, side to side, with your head up and staring forward. Get used to not looking at it. As for training, yeah, power skating. Work the legs. Fighting is just for the pros, don't do it in your league or you probably will get tossed out. And never hit anyone with your stick. Left wing does sound about right for your size and experience. Enjoy! Keep us posted...

Marcus ATW

Marcus ATW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Bm

Minnesota guy here. I learned that the hard way. Practice this at home: Get a ball, tennis, etc., and just practice handling it back and forth in front of you, side to side, with your head up and staring forward. Get used to not looking at it. As for training, yeah, power skating. Work the legs. Fighting is just for the pros, don't do it in your league or you probably will get tossed out. And never hit anyone with your stick. Left wing does sound about right for your size and experience. Enjoy! Keep us posted...
I dont know what happen last night but The Wild has to win the cup!

warren

Awards
oh well unless i make pro guess il never have he record for chasing some one with an ice skate blade lol

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
Hey man, I played hockey for 15 years (in the US) and only quit cause I couldn't find a fun league to join where everybody wasn't a fvck about everything.. but I was 5'9 175 and switched between Right Defense and Right Wing..

I wasn't big for a defensemen but I knew where and how to hit to put people down, and just have a naturally defensive mindset -- I think you can play any position if you practice what the position calls for..

As far as training, leg work is the most important (I always focused on squats and sprints) and then I would have to say core work (primarily abs) and lower arm strength.. there's alot more pushing and using your forearms than you would imagine -- but like one guy above me said, puck-handling drills are essential -- especially for forwards!

Let me know if you have any questions about it since I can probably help you, but either way good luck with the sport -- it's so much fun :D

Bum Mahoney

Bum Mahoney

Awards
I dont know what happen last night but The Wild has to win the cup!
I'm originally from Pitt, so I'm first a Pens fan, but I've been here 20 years and follow the Wild. That was a downer last night. Hope for more of an effort Friday. Boogaard looked great though.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
A noob to the game is always gonna be put on wing.

Defense and Center require too much skill and technique.

Practice your puck handling technique by dribbling a golf ball. It is approximately the same height off the ground as a hockey puck, and obviously a smaller diamter (which helps you develop better controlling skills).

Skate skate skate skate. Work on stops and starts (i.e. crossover starts and running starts). Work on crossovers. Work on endurance.

Get a buddy and just work on passing the puck with each other.

I'm assuming your in some sort of athletic shape. 5'1" @ 175lbs is an ideal size for a forward. The 3 most important skills for a new hockey player to develop are stick skills, skating skills, and passing. You'll learn your teams specific offense and defense plays, and the other skills you can learn as you develop as a player (i.e. cycling, defense, shooting, etc.).

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
What? You expect all Canadians know how to play hockey? Jeepers...

Ok, fine, I'm a Canuck and I played competitive hockey growing up, lol.

In addition to all the comments above - regarding your inability to "stop" - I'd have to say you're in a "beer league" (fun league), and there will be no fighting. My guess - you fight - you're suspended.
Maybe it's different over on that side of the pond, but rarely would you see a fight unless it's a competitive game, and very few leagues allow it (typically the higher level ones). And by "allow", I mean you still get a major penalty, but they might not throw you out of the league. It's best to find out the policy for you league first.

Nobody mentioned goalie yet - and if your skating is what I think it is - it might be an easier choice - but probably more frustrating, lol. Winger might be the best - you'll be closer to the boards to help stop, lol.

Not like running at all...well, not too much. Can you downhill ski? That would be a much closer comparison with regards to the weight distribution and balance.

I'd say just make sure you have elbow pads and plenty of padding in the bum. No offense at all - but I'm imagining a LOT of falling down on the ice, lol. The games go back and forth so much - definitely work on your skating as your #1 priority. Crossover turns, backwards, etc. Otherwise it'll be like playing cricket if you couldn't control how or where you jogged to, lol.

My first preference would be a full face mask. You're not at the level where the extra bulk detracts from your speed/skill. Sticks can fly everywhere, and slap shots will knock your teeth right out.

If it's summer over there - consider practicing with inline skates (rollerblades).

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dunno about being a tender. Goalies really require a lot more skating and balance skills than a forward. If you lose your footing between the pipes.......GOAL!!!

Not to mention going goalie is gonna cost a lot up front, and you really only need 1 to play a game. 2 goalies is typically plenty for a functional team. Maybe a 3rd if we're talking juniors or something.

warren

Awards
thanks for all the repies, well its a weird thing sport in our universities, most people join a sport hey have never played and hae to learn veryy quickly and then over the 3-4 years at uni they usually advance pretty quickly. and if youre lucky enough to make 1st team by time you leave then you are playing at quite a high level. maybee county level (like your district level i think but we are a much much smaller country lol)

a lad i spoke to on tis years team said he had nit steped foot on ice before and is now on te 2nd team. so tere crash course must be pretty decent. he did say the guys who learned te fastest how to skate were the ones who were not afraid to be on there arse lol e says alot of the people worrying about falling over and looking silly were still the same skaters after 3 months. the first year of uni team is just learning the game and how to skate correctly, there are games put together but usually with people in the smae situation but from different unis so all at the same level. the 1st team have quite a few jr pros, our team esp has 2 england u21 on the 1st team lol so it can get to a high level but if i only ended up on 3rd team by year 3 id still be happy, itsjust a bit of fun lol

Marcus ATW

Marcus ATW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Bm

I'm originally from Pitt, so I'm first a Pens fan, but I've been here 20 years and follow the Wild. That was a downer last night. Hope for more of an effort Friday. Boogaard looked great though.
wow pens and the wild you cant lose!!

IainDaniel

Awards
What? You expect all Canadians know how to play hockey? Jeepers...

Ok, fine, I'm a Canuck and I played competitive hockey growing up, lol.

In addition to all the comments above - regarding your inability to "stop" - I'd have to say you're in a "beer league" (fun league), and there will be no fighting. My guess - you fight - you're suspended.
Maybe it's different over on that side of the pond, but rarely would you see a fight unless it's a competitive game, and very few leagues allow it (typically the higher level ones). And by "allow", I mean you still get a major penalty, but they might not throw you out of the league. It's best to find out the policy for you league first.

Nobody mentioned goalie yet - and if your skating is what I think it is - it might be an easier choice - but probably more frustrating, lol. Winger might be the best - you'll be closer to the boards to help stop, lol.

Not like running at all...well, not too much. Can you downhill ski? That would be a much closer comparison with regards to the weight distribution and balance.

I'd say just make sure you have elbow pads and plenty of padding in the bum. No offense at all - but I'm imagining a LOT of falling down on the ice, lol. The games go back and forth so much - definitely work on your skating as your #1 priority. Crossover turns, backwards, etc. Otherwise it'll be like playing cricket if you couldn't control how or where you jogged to, lol.

My first preference would be a full face mask. You're not at the level where the extra bulk detracts from your speed/skill. Sticks can fly everywhere, and slap shots will knock your teeth right out.

If it's summer over there - consider practicing with inline skates (rollerblades).
Agree..... other then Goal tending. That is a very demanding position.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
PENS FTW! It's revenge time against Ottawa for last year..

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
PENS FTW! It's revenge time against Ottawa for last year..
You guys have such a sick line up, Crosby, Malkin, Hossa just to name a few, definitely a cup contender. I stopped watching hockey but since Montreal did so good this season it brought a little of the passion back.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
You guys have such a sick line up, Crosby, Malkin, Hossa just to name a few, definitely a cup contender. I stopped watching hockey but since Montreal did so good this season it brought a little of the passion back.
I know it man, I'm so pumped for the game tonight.. it's due or die cause I'm not sure if we can keep Hossa around next year, but who knows -- it's been a long time coming for the Pens to pull it together!

It kinda feels unfair cause Ottawa just got plagued with injuries -- especially the Alfredsson one -- I felt awful when I saw the replay of him getting the elbow..

Montreal is so good! They went under the radar around here (for whatever reason) and I just noticed about 3 weeks ago how well they were doing..

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
I know it man, I'm so pumped for the game tonight.. it's due or die cause I'm not sure if we can keep Hossa around next year, but who knows -- it's been a long time coming for the Pens to pull it together!

It kinda feels unfair cause Ottawa just got plagued with injuries -- especially the Alfredsson one -- I felt awful when I saw the replay of him getting the elbow..

Montreal is so good! They went under the radar around here (for whatever reason) and I just noticed about 3 weeks ago how well they were doing..
Ya the Canadiens and the Pens are pretty much head to head in stats. I'm worried to play them if it comes down to it. At least it's different this year, you don't have the damn Devils dominating like always. In the west it's always Detroit since like 99', it's getting kind of annyoing. I'd like to see Chicago or Vancouver dominate for once.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ya the Canadiens and the Pens are pretty much head to head in stats. I'm worried to play them if it comes down to it. At least it's different this year, you don't have the damn Devils dominating like always. In the west it's always Detroit since like 99', it's getting kind of annyoing. I'd like to see Chicago or Vancouver dominate for once.
Don't alienate Bowman's career. Detroit's always been a powerhouse for a lot longer than that. Kinda obnoxious.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Don't alienate Bowman's career. Detroit's always been a powerhouse for a lot longer than that. Kinda obnoxious.
Detroit had it's runs but dominating for a longer period than recently? No. My comment had nothing to do with Bowman, he's a top notch coach. I said I'd like to see another team other than Detroit rule the top in the west.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Detroit had it's runs but dominating for a longer period than recently? No. My comment had nothing to do with Bowman, he's a top notch coach. I said I'd like to see another team other than Detroit rule the top in the west.
hahaha me too. I hate the redwings.

snookl187

snookl187

Awards
  • Established
LOL yeah as long as he has the puck.
**Never hit a guy if you can see the back of his jersey numbers**
You need to be in front of him or on the side of him.
yep keep your head up...try and find Don Cherry's rock em sock em clips on you tube..you'll see why. I despise the red wings too:rasp:

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
I think keeping your head up is one of the biggest mistakes for un-experienced players.. that's how people get seriously injured -- and typically it's the forwards watching the puck while they stickhandle..

aceink

Awards
I would recommend playing forward, Right wing center or left wing) Its really hard to get into hockey if youve never played...I'm lucky enough to live in Cold ass minnesota where I started skating at 2yrs old. But if at all poss. join a novice leauge. Its an awesome workout you'll have fun and It is by far the best game on EARTH!! GO WilD.

Marcus ATW

Marcus ATW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The Pens without a doubt look like the Best Team right now!!

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
The Pens without a doubt look like the Best Team right now!!
They played Ottawa who lost a lot of their depth from last season. They sucked this season so it's no surprise the pens blew them away. I think they'll have a harder time in the second round.

Marcus ATW

Marcus ATW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yes, you bring up a valid point. I cant wait to see who they will play next.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
most likely New York. I think Montreal's going to meet the pens in the eastern final. That will be a sick match.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
Me too! I'm so pumped we swept Ottawa after the kicked us right in the balls last year..

My playoff beard itches already and it's only the first round..

Marcus ATW

Marcus ATW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Red Dog

Me too! I'm so pumped we swept Ottawa after the kicked us right in the balls last year..

My playoff beard itches already and it's only the first round..
:rofl: your playoff beard itching :rofl:

Marcus ATW

Marcus ATW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Is it me?;Or are the playoff games in the east being officiated terribly.

Bum Mahoney

Bum Mahoney

Awards
west is too, but yes, the pens games seemed to be overly officiated. wild series too.

ace, where in minnesota you at? i'm in eagan.

IainDaniel

Awards
The officiating is no different then the regular season. Overly officiated sure, but the players are well aware of that.

I am sure as the playoffs go along, the whistles will be kept in the pockets, much like every year.

Marcus ATW

Marcus ATW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I am not hating on the refs in any shape or form. It just seems like they are missing a lot of high sticks.

Bum Mahoney

Bum Mahoney

Awards
I just wish they'd let them play more is all. Guess that's part of having two refs out there now.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
OMG Montreal got raped last night 5-1 at home!