Zednik Stable After Carotid Artery Severed During Game

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Yes, I remember this coming up on TV - shocked me too. Although an unlikely event, it's just one of those risks the sport has to take. Those athletes sharpen those skates before EVERY game.. they are literally knives.

Very glad he pulled through. If he didn't instinctively jump right up and hurry over to the bench, who knows what could have happened. I remember on the recap how he body was crumpling in one of the coaches arms just moments after he got to the bench. Every second was huge there... the amount of blood he lost in those initial 5 seconds was staggering. If that blade went a quarter of an inch farther in, I don't think we would be sitting here talking about it in this way.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Buffalo's got some bad luck with this type of injury. This was the second major sports injury that happened in Buffalo this year, its all I have heard about on the news for the last two days now. It really is amazing how good some of those trainers are, but it is also pretty frightening to see accidents like that one in sports.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
What a freak incident ! It's amazing how he reacted quickly and went to his trainer. That can make the difference in many emergency cases.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
I know -- he's so lucky but definitely did exactly what he should have instead of just falling on the ground and taking 4-5 seconds longer!

The medical staff did an amazing job with this -- he's really luck to be alive

typeOnegative

typeOnegative

Awards
he's in good condition, and I believe has been released from the hospital... it was pretty bad, but nowhere near the severity of goalie Clint Malarchuk's injury during a game in March of '89...

here is a clip of that: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CI7c-rxFMU"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
as bad as that was it goes to prove hockey players are tough as nails.

That was some blood on the ice. I remember watching it holy crap it was blood

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
as bad as that was it goes to prove hockey players are tough as nails.

That was some blood on the ice. I remember watching it holy crap it was blood
same here - the amount that came out initially was STAGGERING

and i totally agree - hockey players just have that reputation of pure toughness... that tooth-vacant smile strikes me in a thought.