Burress Guarantees Victory

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Tom Coughlin, John Mara bristle over Plaxico Burress' guarantee

GLENDALE, Ariz. - Before the question was even finished, John Mara cringed as if someone had just kicked him in the stomach. He's a conservative man, quiet by nature, content to lurk in the background.

He'd prefer his team to be that way, too.

"Yeah, I don't particularly like to have people make guarantees and stuff like that," Mara said yesterday. "I'd like to keep it as quiet as possible. There's been a minimal amount of chirping all season and we'd like to keep it that way.

"God willing, we'll get through today without incident."

Mara's Giants did appear to get through Tuesday's media day unscathed, but that minimal chirping the Giants have done has flared up lately. Plaxico Burress, GM Jerry Reese and co-owner Steve Tisch have all issued what have been portrayed as guarantees of victory in Super Bowl XLII.

None of them was a strong, Namath-like proclamation. But they all got more attention than the Giants would have preferred.

"Are we supposed to say we're going to lose?" Antonio Pierce asked. "What do you want us to say? We're not here to play second to anyone."

Confidence is fine, but there is apparently a line that players aren't supposed to cross. Burress straddled it a few days ago when he said the Giants' receivers "do things just as well or maybe better than some of those" Patriots receivers. And he apparently jumped over it on Monday when he reportedly not only guaranteed victory, but also predicted the final score.

When asked about Burress' proclamation, Tom Coughlin was clearly upset with his star receiver yesterday.

"That's not what we aspire to do," Coughlin said. "We want to do our talking on the field. We've had a good theme all year long, which hasn't been that."

Burress, meanwhile, simply wondered what all the fuss was about.

"Are predictions guarantees?" Burress asked. "We want to win this game. It's interesting. You think of some things in life, as far as professional sports or playing in this game, and it's OK to want to win, think big and dream."

Then, without any reservation, he offered another guarantee of sorts: "We're going to take this thing back to New York City."

Somewhere, Mara cringed again.

"There's only so much you can do," Mara said. "You're constantly asked questions. You're constantly surrounded by media. There are times you're going to say things you probably shouldn't."

"I have already decided and said that I cannot control the actions of others," added Michael Strahan. "I've tried it and come to the realization that these guys are absolutely crazy, and (I'll) go along with whatever they say and laugh with it and go out and play on Sunday. If Plaxico said it, then 'Hee, hee, hee.'"

The Patriots weren't exactly laughing at the Giants, but they didn't seem bothered by the Giants' tough and confident talk. Strahan said he wasn't surprised by that, since he knows words don't really matter at all.

"You know what?" he said. "I could really care less if somebody guaranteed victory against us. You put it on the (bulletin) board and what, is it going to make me play harder? This is the Super Bowl. They are 18 and freakin' 0."

Of course, no one on the button-lipped Patriots would ever even think of guaranteeing a victory, but the talk-is-cheap Giants haven't been so shy. Maybe their words have been overblown by the media, but they're still the ones opening their mouths. They're "a confident bunch," according to Burress.

And that's not something they want to hide.

"We're a 10-6 regular-season team that made it to the Super Bowl and we got here the hard way, winning three road games," Burress said. "So hey, look at us. We didn't just get lucky to be here.

"You've got to want to win the game, man," Burress added. "You've got to want to win it. So why not us?"

What a dummy...

Tom Coughlin, John Mara bristle over Plaxico Burress' guarantee

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
It will be the biggest upset in Super Bowl history if they pull it off. Burress is confident that they'll win and any player worth his dignity would think the same thing but to brag about it is only going to make him look worse if they lose, which I expect them to.

The Giants are going to have to play a perfect game AND get some turnovers from the Patriots in order to pull this off, even then it might still not be enough.

I do find it interesting that the Giants lost to the Cowboys, Packers, and Patriots in the Meadowlands during the regular season. They already beat the Packers and Cowboys on the road. This game is a road game for both teams. I noticed this while doing little analysis and began to ask myself "why the Giants might win ?" and I noticed this.

One thing I wouldn't expect is a blowout. The Patriots haven't put a bad whooping on anyone during the Play-Offs and the Giants seem to be able to keep their games close. I think the Patriots win 31-21. Moss and Faulk are going to eat them alive, if they play it safe then Welker and Watson will own the middle of the field. The Giants don't have the linebackers to protect the middle of the field on pass defense consistently. I'm talking about the 5-15 yard range before you get to the safeties.

mcour1226

mcour1226

Awards
I am a big Giants fan and I think this game could go either way..... I agree that the G men have to play a flawless game to have a shot. This one could come down to a field goal. The Pats always take it to the very end and never give up, so this will be a sick game!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think this was overblown a little bit. He just said he's confident they'll win and lightly predicted a score. He didn't say 'guarantee'.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think this was overblown a little bit. He just said he's confident they'll win and lightly predicted a score. He didn't say 'guarantee'.
He said and I quote "We WILL WIN THE GAME AND THE SCORE WILL BE 23-17" sounds like a guarantee to me..

What he should of said was It will be a tough game and if well play good enough maybe we can win..Nothing wrong with that

It's Funny the Patriots would could talk smack becasue they have won 3 superbowls dont,only the teams who have not won anything in a while that like to talk.I never understood that.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
He said and I quote "We WILL WIN THE GAME AND THE SCORE WILL BE 23-17" sounds like a guarantee to me..

What he should of said was It will be a tough game and if well play good enough maybe we can win..Nothing wrong with that

It's Funny the Patriots would could talk smack becasue they have won 3 superbowls dont,only the teams who have not won anything in a while that like to talk.I never understood that.
I don't think he's going to say he should lose. Any team, I think at least, that goes into the SuperBowl thinking 'maybe we could win' is already going to lose. He's just showing some confidence in his team, not too much wrong with that I think.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I don't think he's going to say he should lose. Any team, I think at least, that goes into the SuperBowl thinking 'maybe we could win' is already going to lose. He's just showing some confidence in his team, not too much wrong with that I think.
No one is saying he should say we are going to lose..

The Pats are favored huge,has anyone come out and said we are going to win on that team ? No, and do you know why ?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No one is saying he should say we are going to lose..

The Pats are favored huge,has anyone come out and said we are going to win on that team ? No, and do you know why ?
I don't think there's any need to be condescending. You're confident in your team, and that's fine. Many of the Patriots have said they are going out there to win the SuperBowl, they'll do whatever they need to in order to win, etc.,

You're taking his comments a little bit out of context, IMO. I've seen the clip numerous times, and it was honest confidence in his team and said in a somewhat joking manner.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I don't think there's any need to be condescending. You're confident in your team, and that's fine. Many of the Patriots have said they are going out there to win the SuperBowl, they'll do whatever they need to in order to win, etc.,

You're taking his comments a little bit out of context, IMO. I've seen the clip numerous times, and it was honest confidence in his team and said in a somewhat joking manner.

That is your opinion,even his own coach didn't like it I wonder why..it lacks professionalism.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well I think we just have differing philosophies on what constitutes acceptable behaviour. I wouldn't expect a player to say anything but.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
That is your opinion,even his own coach didn't like it I wonder why..it lacks professionalism.
His own coach doesn't like anything. Come on man, it was as innocent as could be. He thinks they're gonna win and he predicted a score.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
His own coach doesn't like anything. Come on man, it was as innocent as could be. He thinks they're gonna win and he predicted a score.
Coughlin doesn't even like air.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Personally i say let burress and the giants talk all the "confidence" they want. Come sunday night, the giants' are going to experience the same consolation prize that every other team has this year.......a oneway ticket home ;):D

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Some teams get a round trip ticket? Naw, I agree, the Giants are gonna get stomped.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some teams get a round trip ticket?
Well it's not meant to be taken that literally really haha, but in a way you can say the patriots have cashed in on their round trip tickets yet again with a 4th superbowl appearance in 6 years.;).........And yes i agree, the giants are going to get stomped! :D

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Well it's not meant to be taken that literally really haha, but in a way you can say the patriots have cashed in on their round trip tickets yet again with a 4th superbowl appearance in 6 years.;).........And yes i agree, the giants are going to get stomped! :D
Yeah, I was kidding. This dude Mullet thinks that Doug Flutie was a better QB than Brady. He went on and on comparing Flutie's CFL stats and what not, crazy canadian:toofunny:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I was kidding. This dude Mullet thinks that Doug Flutie was a better QB than Brady. He went on and on comparing Flutie's CFL stats and what not, crazy canadian:toofunny:
I know man. Yeah he is a crazy canuck indeed. :D

Mullet, i'll let you wear one of my brady jersey's on superbowl sunday buddy haha. ;)

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
That's the media's job and they did a good job in this particular case. I think Jimmy Johnson is the only coach who enjoyed having his players talk trash. Coughlin is as old school as they come and even Mera (team owner) is not pleased with Plaxico's comments. Him talking crap won't change the outcome of the game, these guys are professionals and they're self motivated so Plaxico didn't need to say this.

The only thing this will do is make him look a little foolish after the Giants lose to the Patriots. That being said, the media should concentrate on the fact that Burress has not been practicing during the week all year long due to injuries, he just literally shows up on game days and participates in walk throughs, pretty amazing IMO.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That being said, the media should concentrate on the fact that Burress has not been practicing during the week all year long due to injuries, he just literally shows up on game days and participates in walk throughs, pretty amazing IMO.
More amazing than say.......19-0? haha :D Good point though iron. Burress is a good player imo, however when they lose to the pats on sunday his comments(even as mild as they were imo)will only add fuel to the media's fire in making him look foolish in the end. That's why i love the patriots quiet, yet confident demeanor of "Put up, or shut up!"

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
More amazing than say.......19-0? haha :D Good point though iron. Burress is a good player imo, however when they lose to the pats on sunday his comments(even as mild as they were imo)will only add fuel to the media's fire in making him look foolish in the end. That's why i love the patriots quiet, yet confident demeanor of "Put up, or shut up!"
Not quite that amazing LOL. That's an unheard of accomplishment. I never expected to see a perfect 19-0 team in the era of the salary cap and free agency. I think Bill Belichick would kill one of his players for such a thing. Anthony Smith's prediction turned out bad for the Steelers a few months ago so players that make predictions against the Pats are 0-1 this year :D

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not quite that amazing LOL. That's an unheard of accomplishment. I never expected to see a perfect 19-0 team in the era of the salary cap and free agency. I think Bill Belichick would kill one of his players for such a thing. Anthony Smith's prediction turned out bad for the Steelers a few months ago so players that make predictions against the Pats are 0-1 this year :D
Yeah it truly is an accomplishment i thought was beyond fathomable in the current era. It just goes to show you even when certain things seem impossible/unattainable........... if the right chemistry exists , anything can happen.

Ah, Anthony Smith.......talk about being owned and eating your words! haha :toofunny:

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
No worries...I'm a huge Steelers fan and I already hunted down and disposed of Anthony Smith's remains. A third string safety making predictions then getting beat over the top TWICE due to failed assignment. And he has the audacity to talk trash to Brady during the game. Lord I hope they get rid of him.

:frustrate

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's why i love the patriots quiet, yet confident demeanor of "Put up, or shut up!"
Haha, oh come on Trauma. The Pats are by far the most arrogant team in the league and they've displayed that a few times (remember San Diego last year?). You know this buddy. I'll admit they are ridiculously good, but you're trying to present them as the altruistic choir boys they aren't.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Haha, oh come on Trauma. The Pats are by far the most arrogant team in the league and they've displayed that a few times (remember San Diego last year?). You know this buddy. I'll admit they are ridiculously good, but you're trying to present them as the altruistic choir boys they aren't.
Mullet you know as well as i do bud that many times confidence can easily be perceived as arrogance. Come on now, the most arrogant team in the league? No way man. For a team that's acheived what they have this year i find their actions certainly more of a modest than arrogant nature overall. Randy Moss is a perfect example. Look at how this team and organization has changed his demeanour overall.

I can agree to the fact that no team in the nfl encompasses a bunch of angels by any regard, but new england certainly doesn't tout themselves as a bunch of nfl gods(even though they are hahaha...;).) The whole San Diego thing was so unbelievably blown out of proportion. LT sounded like a damn crybaby imo in the post game interviews. Many people are continously looking for ways to tarnish the patriots and their reputation any chance they get. It's expected however, and happens all the time and in just about every sport.

I'm sure you'll disagree with everything i said, but that's what makes it all the more interesting brotha haha :D

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
You view them as the Matt Hughes of football, ehh, yaaa!

swole210

swole210

Awards
  • Established
AGREED!!! And will everyone stop getting their EFFIng panties all wound up in a knot, because Plaxico said they'll win by how ever many points!! Llike no one in sports ever said we are going to win! He is confident they will win, as well they should be, and as well should the Pats! Had he guaranteed it, he would have said "I GUARANTEE.......".

swole210

swole210

Awards
  • Established
Mullet you know as well as i do bud that many times confidence can easily be perceived as arrogance. Come on now, the most arrogant team in the league? No way man. For a team that's acheived what they have this year i find their actions certainly more of a modest than arrogant nature overall. Randy Moss is a perfect example. Look at how this team and organization has changed his demeanour overall.

I can agree to the fact that no team in the nfl encompasses a bunch of angels by any regard, but new england certainly doesn't tout themselves as a bunch of nfl gods(even though they are hahaha...;).) The whole San Diego thing was so unbelievably blown out of proportion. LT sounded like a damn crybaby imo in the post game interviews. Many people are continously looking for ways to tarnish the patriots and their reputation any chance they get. It's expected however, and happens all the time and in just about every sport.

I'm sure you'll disagree with everything i said, but that's what makes it all the more interesting brotha haha :D
I can agree with you, that when you are at the top, a lot of people will dislike you. If the Pats or any of their players are not at all arrogant, then why did Brady get offended that Plaxico predicted a low scoring game? He should have just laughed at it.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
AGREED!!! And will everyone stop getting their EFFIng panties all wound up in a knot, because Plaxico said they'll win by how ever many points!! Llike no one in sports ever said we are going to win! He is confident they will win, as well they should be, and as well should the Pats! Had he guaranteed it, he would have said "I GUARANTEE.......".
It's confidence mixed with trash talk and nothing more imo. It's part of the game. It only adds fuel to the patriots fire of stomping the giants in the ground. So in other words, keep talking it up G-men! :D

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can agree with you, that when you are at the top, a lot of people will dislike you. If the Pats or any of their players are not at all arrogant, then why did Brady get offended that Plaxico predicted a low scoring game? He should have just laughed at it.
Brady in general is about as modest as you can get in the league. His overall calming presence and leadership defines his success. I really don't think he was that offended by it. Plaxico's attempt at stirring the pot is honestly kind of laughable. New England doesn't play into the mind game aspect as is evident in their success this year.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't know bud, I really think you're reading way, way, way too far into it. I don't think it's the this, that and other it's being made out to be. It was just a very talented receiver being confident; it wasn't even said in an inflammatory manner. It's not like he's Freddie Mitchell.

And being 18-0, the Patriots aren't going to get fired up by one guy's comments, haha. That's like finding out your Mom just died, and then your roommate saying "We're out of Milk!". Under normal circumstances, you might be mad, but at the time,.....you get my point.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't know bud, I really think you're reading way, way, way too far into it. I don't think it's the this, that and other it's being made out to be. It was just a very talented receiver being confident; it wasn't even said in an inflammatory manner. It's not like he's Freddie Mitchell.

And being 18-0, the Patriots aren't going to get fired up by one guy's comments, haha. That's like finding out your Mom just died, and then your roommate saying "We're out of Milk!". Under normal circumstances, you might be mad, but at the time,.....you get my point.
I honestly didn't think his comments were all that offensive at all mullet. These type of situations are part of the game. Some choose to partake in it, while others don't. However, emotions can often cloud judgement when playing at their competetive level. Here's a comment straight from brady's mouth at the press conference:

"We don't make predictions. We just let our play do the talking," Brady said matter-of-factly.

I like it! :D

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
Kinda interesting who scored the final touchdown (music to Twilight Zone begins)

:bruce3:

snookl187

snookl187

Awards
  • Established
yeah what an idiot.......he got the 17 mixed up:toofunny:

Last edited:
lbarber

lbarber

Awards
  • Established
Brady in general is about as modest as you can get in the league. His overall calming presence and leadership defines his success. I really don't think he was that offended by it. Plaxico's attempt at stirring the pot is honestly kind of laughable. New England doesn't play into the mind game aspect as is evident in their success this year.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ2yK5C9Ae4"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

G-MEN!

Tom Brady is a yankees fan, though, so I still respect him...