SEC 7-2 in bowl games

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%

SEC 7-2 in bowl games

Overall with 9 of 12 teams from the SEC going to bowl games, and 7 of those 9 teams coming out on top (one of those being the national champion tigers!!) I think its safe to say the SEC is by far the toughest conference in college football

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

My Cal Bears went 1-0 vs the SEC with their win over Tennessee

Props to them, they did an excellent job as a conference. I was (as many were) somewhat shocked to see Michigan beat Florida. It's amazing what playing with emotion can do at the collegiate level.

However, I don't know why the SEC squads seem to worry as much about their conference. Maybe it's a local cultural thing but no one in the West Coast is talking about the PAC-10 in the bowl games or USC's big win over Illinois. I always wondered why that is ?
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.99%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

i'm from maryland and one of my friends from back in the day has moved down to gainesville, he said the whole culture and attitude surrounding college football there is unlike anything else. when tony joiner was in trouble with that impound lot for taking his girlfriend's car out, the owner of the lot said he received over 200 death threats if he pressed charges. i think the sec pack mentality only gets worse when they have the media talking every saturday all fall about how they are soo much better, although they really backed that up this year. the fans take it to the extreme though, if you ask them an ohio state or a usc would have 3-4 losses a year in the sec, lol
    •   

4. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.49%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Warrior View Post
    I was (as many were) somewhat shocked to see Michigan beat Florida. It's amazing what playing with emotion can do at the collegiate level.
    I'm still shocked! However, a few days after the game it became known that many of the gator players were out until 3am the night before....and honestly as lethargic and lackluster as the defense played i can certainly believe it. Now granted the gator D wasn't impressive all year especially in the secondary, but their effort was an overall embarrasment that was very evident on the faces of tebow and meyer.

I'm not taking anything away from michigan though because they played very well in contrast, however the gator team that showed up that day certainly wasn't what that gator team was capable of.....

Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.37%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Warrior View Post
    My Cal Bears went 1-0 vs the SEC with their win over Tennessee

Props to them, they did an excellent job as a conference. I was (as many were) somewhat shocked to see Michigan beat Florida. It's amazing what playing with emotion can do at the collegiate level.

However, I don't know why the SEC squads seem to worry as much about their conference. Maybe it's a local cultural thing but no one in the West Coast is talking about the PAC-10 in the bowl games or USC's big win over Illinois. I always wondered why that is ?
    Dunno for sure IW. I'm pretty damn sure it stems from the split title in '03 (mainly LSU fans bringing up the SEC's strength).

But REALLY intensified in '04 when Auburn got left out of the Orange when they went 11-0.

Pretty sure they all bring it up to justify the rankings.
    (And relative lack of quality out of conference opponents, for the most part.)

For instance - I went to an SEC school. I don't remember any of this SEC crap when I was there (early 00's.)

I sure as sh*t don't remember it when Miami basically won the SEC East in '02 - beat Florida and Tennessee on the road.

I believe this to be a short-lived phenomenon.
    For most of my life - the SEC hasn't been the most dominant conference.
    Just look at the national titles since '80 - UGa in '80, Bama in '92, UF in '96, UT in '98, LSU in '03, then UF and LSU the last few years.
    Throw out since '03 - and you get less titles than either Nebraska or Miami won during that time.
    (Well - NU won 3 - so close.)
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.37%

Forgot to add - I could really care less what the rest of the ACC does.

I don't root for them (maybe FSU) and certainly don't tout the conference - never have with the Big East either.
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.49%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Seceretly I like the connecticut huskies in the big east. It's where i grew up and all that i used to know as a kid. I married into gator nation and i've been a loyal fan ever since. GO GATORS IN 2008 baby!!

Edit: Jmh i know you hate the SEC with a passion...haha, but they've certainly been producing with speed and dominance in recent years. This may not last into the coming years, however as of this point they continue to produce. I say this knowing that i can't stand many SEC teams with tennessee being my least favorite followed by georgia, but when it comes down to it even if you hate the team in the bowl game you still have to go with your conference.

Legendary

8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.37%

I don't hate the SEC. I just like to argue sometimes.
    I spent almost 5 years at an SEC school (because Miami doesn't have chemical engineering).

I agree it was the best conf. this year - the bowl record speaks for itself in '07.
  9. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.49%

Quote Originally Posted by jmh80 View Post
    I don't hate the SEC. I just like to argue sometimes.
    I spent almost 5 years at an SEC school (because Miami doesn't have chemical engineering).

I agree it was the best conf. this year - the bowl record speaks for itself in '07.
    I know, i like to argue myself sometimes too. So just out of curiosity where did you go?

Legendary

10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.37%

Ut.
  11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.49%

Quote Originally Posted by jmh80 View Post
    Ut.
    Good god.....not tennessee .....say it ain't so man lol

Legendary

Similar Forum Threads

1. Get in the Game, with the NutraPlanet SuperBowl Sale!!
    By NutraPlanet CS in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 02-05-2008, 09:34 AM
  2. BACK IN THE GAME! - PP/Alb Recomp.
    By doggzj in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-05-2006, 12:30 AM
  3. Getting back in the game help//
    By Aa'ron360 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2006, 08:00 AM
  4. Back in the game