Who are your 3 most OVER-RATED QB'S in the NFL?

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just to get the ball rolling, I can't stand watching inconsistant play followed by consistant media praise/fanfare for:

1) Ben Roethlisberger
2) Eli Manning
3) Donovan McNabb

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just to get the ball rolling, I can't stand watching inconsistant play followed by consistant media praise/fanfare for:

1) Ben Roethlisberger
2) Eli Manning
3) Donovan McNabb
If you ask me i agree they ALL are. I think mcNabb is the best of the bunch but still very inconsistant at times.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you ask me i agree they ALL are. I think mcNabb is the best of the bunch but still very inconsistant at times.
Agreed dude! :cheers: My pet peave with McNabb is that I can't stand it when he moves in the pocket or scrambles holding the ball with one hand down low next to his hip.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agreed dude! :cheers: My pet peave with McNabb is that I can't stand it when he moves in the pocket or scrambles holding the ball with one hand down low next to his hip.
Lol, I know exactly what you mean and i agree. I think he really could really be great with some adjustments to his mechanics.

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
1. Tony Romo (hand me a bucket!)
2. Eli Manning
3. Rex Grossman

underrated?

1. Brett Favre
2. Drew Brees
3. Ben Roethlisberger

Tom Brady is rated high enough already :D .

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1. Tony Romo (hand me a bucket!)
2. Eli Manning
3. Rex Grossman

underrated?

1. Brett Favre
2. Drew Brees
3. Ben Roethlisberger

Tom Brady is rated high enough already :D .
Tom Brady is the MAN!! I agree that grossman is way over-rated even though he was one of my beloved gators. Brett Favre still continues to amaze me....

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
Brett Favre still continues to amaze me....
Even though he can't seem to win in Dallas.....hmm. No, you're right, he is awesome. His (NFL all-time) records speak for themselves.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Even though he can't seem to win in Dallas.....hmm. No, you're right, he is awesome. His (NFL all-time) records speak for themselves.
I'll take favre over romo anyday....;)

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
I'll take favre over romo anyday....;)
Me too. I dont like Romo. My profile pics have the QB # on them I like. I mean c'mon lets not forget the greats out of Dallas either, man, like Aikman and Staubach!

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Brett Favre is hardly underrated....

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I disagree about Ben, obviously. HEre is my list

Overrated
1. Rex Grossman
2. Eli Manning
3. Carson Palmer (big numbers, doesnt win)
4. Marc Bulger
5. Phillip Rivers
6. Donovan McNabb

Underrated
1. Drew Brees
2. Tavaris Jackson (having Adrian Peterson is a huge help)
3. Derrick Anderson
4. Jeff Garcia
5. David Garrard

I didnt put Brady or Peyton on as they are the known best

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I disagree about Ben, obviously. HEre is my list

Overrated
1. Rex Grossman
2. Eli Manning
3. Carson Palmer (big numbers, doesnt win)
4. Marc Bulger
5. Phillip Rivers
6. Donovan McNabb

Underrated
1. Drew Brees
2. Tavaris Jackson (having Adrian Peterson is a huge help)
3. Derrick Anderson
4. Jeff Garcia
5. David Garrard

I didnt put Brady or Peyton on as they are the known best
Although Ben is quite gutsy, I've seen just about enough his lateral scrambles when there's virtually no pass rush. That's not to say that our line doesn't break down frequently but my boy has ants in his pants for sure :run: He also underthrows the deep ball, well, just about every time.

In Ben's defense, I think Arians puts the ball in Ben's hands at the wrong times. Play calling seems to thrwart drives frequently this season, even when both Ben and Willie start to heat up... which in turn, makes both of them look worse at critical times.

Totally agree with Drew Brees. Now THAT is a QB that has text book mechanics and protects the football.

Good post Reaper! :cheers:

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Me too. I dont like Romo. My profile pics have the QB # on them I like. I mean c'mon lets not forget the greats out of Dallas either, man, like Aikman and Staubach!
Glad to see a lady who seems to genuinely enjoy the game... even if you're a Dallas fan :rasp: ...:cheers:

BULLDOG

Awards
I think Romo is underrated, if he has a bad game like Sunday Cowboys are in the tank. Other teams can survive without their qb at 100 percent Dallas can't cause Romo drives the boat.

BULLDOG

Awards
OVERRATED
McNabb
Brady(offensive line is the key)
Favre(Rodgers can do just as good)
UNDERRATED
Romo (see last post)
Kitna

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think Romo is underrated, if he has a bad game like Sunday Cowboys are in the tank. Other teams can survive without their qb at 100 percent Dallas can't cause Romo drives the boat.
Ya, I agree. If my team were down by 7 with a minute or 2 to go, I'd have confidence that Romo would give us a shot to tie it up.

You have an interesting point of view with Farve. He's a likable QB for sure... although, I've always thought it's odd that his receivers get 10 freakin yards behind the defense EVERY SINGLE WEEK. How does that happen?

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I disagree about brees Hes a decent qb, but he has lapses in judgement and accuracy. He leaves his recievers in bad spots.

Last edited:
sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
Overrated

1) Eli manning
2) jay culter
3) "big Ben"

Brady is the man........his offensive line is one of the best but almost all his throws are on the money and perfect spirals....oooohhh and a 65 yard pass the he threw that wasn't lobbed in the air............that speaks for itself...

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
Nah. He and the cowboys would not even be close to where they are now without his supporting cast. Bledsoe was better but didnt have the supporting cast that he does, and top that off with a coach who's intent on making full use of the teams depth and resources (wade phillips) vs. the old school 1st-string-only style of Parcells..... you get an ace in the hole.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nah. He and the cowboys would not even be close to where they are now without his supporting cast. Bledsoe was better but didnt have the supporting cast that he does, and top that off with a coach who's intent on making full use of the teams depth and resources (wade phillips) vs. the old school 1st-string-only style of Parcells..... you get an ace in the hole.
I see what you're saying here. Fans just HATE immobile quarterbacks because they don't make for exciting SportsCenter highlights. That being said, being an exciting quarterback doesn't always lend well to carrying your team... for example Mike Vick and Mark Brunell (in his earlier years of course).

I've always thought that guys like Byron Leftwich, Tommy Maddox, and Drew Bledsoe got a raw deal from fans because of their boring style. All had CANNONS for arms but seemed to have the worst luck with solid careers blemished by errors at crucial times.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I just had a thought... does the entire pedigree of QBs in the NFL just totally suck as a whole? Seriously, we have 3 guys who are consistent with P.Manning, Brady, and Farve. Other guys show bright spots but I'm hard pressed to say ANY of them will be Hall of Fame QBs other than these 3.

I just can't help but think of ten years ago when I could watch Young, Kelly, Aikmen, Montana, Elway, Marino, Farve in his prime, and a young Kurt Warner in some spectacular aerial assualts in the 90's. Where have all the good QBs gone?

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
I just can't help but think of ten years ago when I could watch Young, Kelly, Aikmen, Montana, Elway, Marino, Farve in his prime, and a young Kurt Warner in some spectacular aerial assualts in the 90's. Where have all the good QBs gone?

You forgot: Flutie, Esiason, Simms, Moon, McMahon (J), Staubach, Bradshaw, Theisman, and Namath, to list a few from eras past, some not so long ago.

The expansion teams haven't quite had time to get their legendary players yet :p .

(That NFL website is handy, my memory is getting rusty :) )

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
Although Ben is quite gutsy, I've seen just about enough his lateral scrambles when there's virtually no pass rush. That's not to say that our line doesn't break down frequently but my boy has ants in his pants for sure :run: He also underthrows the deep ball, well, just about every time.

In Ben's defense, I think Arians puts the ball in Ben's hands at the wrong times. Play calling seems to thrwart drives frequently this season, even when both Ben and Willie start to heat up... which in turn, makes both of them look worse at critical times.

Totally agree with Drew Brees. Now THAT is a QB that has text book mechanics and protects the football.

Good post Reaper! :cheers:
Celc, remember where Arians came from... are you really surprised by his incompetence? Between him and Mo Carthon, my beloved Browns put together some STUNNINGLY ineffective offenses in the last few years. I'm just glad your Steelers took him off our hands. He'll be getting fired no later than the end of next season.

Enjoy that!

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Favre had a few good years (MVP years) but other than that I think he's the most overated QB ever. I'll give you he's one tough mofo and has an absolute cannon but has to make some of THE WORST decisions ever.

I think Romo is a little over rated and not worth his new contract.

Then McNabb and McNair. Are they always hurt or does it just seem that way.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Favre had a few good years (MVP years) but other than that I think he's the most overated QB ever. I'll give you he's one tough mofo and has an absolute cannon but has to make some of THE WORST decisions ever.

Totally agreed with the last two. I can remember a few years when the Steelers led the league in sacks and simply could not bring McNair down. The guy was like a tank for a body and a cannon for an arm. I've seen quite a few QB's in person and McNair had strongest arm, with Elway as a close second. But he seems to pull a groin, hyperextend his pancreas, and every last injury in the book every other week

With Favre, it's a tough call. When the team gets down by 14 points, which happened quite often over the past 3 seasons, Brett would chuck it into heavy coverage hoping for the best. I have to admit that I've only get see him play 5 or 6 times this year but I'm just not seeing poor/risky decisions with him this year because they're not getting blown out. Maybe someone who watches him more often sees otherwise? :think:

BULLDOG

Awards
Bassgirl if Bledsoe was still in (and wasn't killed cause he couldn't get out of the way of a sack) Cowboys would be a 8-8 team this year. Where's this supporting cast, at Wide receiver he has TO and the rest are 3rd string recievers at best. Witten is the best tight end be its because Romo can get him the ball. The football that many times is hiked over his head or scrambling for his life. There are not 3 better quarterback's in the whole NFL and the Cowboys got a bargain for the money in someone who can lead you to the SuperBowl for the next 5-6 years is priceless

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
OVERRATED
McNabb
UNDERRATED
Romo (see last post)
Kitna
Brady has started for 6 years and only one on the offensive linemen been a pro bowler Matt Light..Farve overated give me a break..Brady was a 6th round draft pick and is the best QB in football,how is he overated ?

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I also disagree about Big Ben. Feel free to name any qb that has the stats he has that has been sacked 43 times. Problem with the steelers is they are overated as a team, oline even more so.

Whoever said TJackson is underated is nuts, only thing keeping Minny back from a superbowl appearance is a coach and a qb, jackson is really bad.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Brady has started for 6 years and only one on the offensive linemen been a pro bowler Matt Light..Farve overated give me a break..Brady was a 6th round draft pick and is the best QB in football,how is he overated ?
Regardless of draft status, Brady stands tall in the pocket. He releases high and anticipates where his recievers are going to be very well. His eyes are also downfield during the center exchange and during his dropback. The only other current QB that I see doing that on a regular basis in Peyton.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Regardless of draft status, Brady stands tall in the pocket. He releases high and anticipates where his recievers are going to be very well. His eyes are also downfield during the center exchange and during his dropback. The only other current QB that I see doing that on a regular basis in Peyton.

If you watch brady hes making the same type of throws that you said Ben was making this year. Brady has thrown quite a few long balls short the difference has been Moss has been reeling them in. Im not saying brady is playing badly and definitly deserves the recognition, but if your gonna criticize big ben for making some off throws lets spread the love.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you watch brady hes making the same type of throws that you said Ben was making this year. Brady has thrown quite a few long balls short the difference has been Moss has been reeling them in. Im not saying brady is playing badly and definitly deserves the recognition, but if your gonna criticize big ben for making some off throws lets spread the love.
I hear ya... Ben would be great if he had a tree for a reciever downfield. Problem is, our recievers are about 6 inches shorter, which again, makes it a less intelligent decision to "chuck." I'm not rooting for Brady or his bunch, just trying to be objective.

To give credit where credit is due, Ben has thrown into coverage significantly less than he did last year. He still throws a garbage deep ball so I'll maintain my position on that note.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I also disagree about Big Ben. Feel free to name any qb that has the stats he has that has been sacked 43 times. Problem with the steelers is they are overated as a team, oline even more so.

Whoever said TJackson is underated is nuts, only thing keeping Minny back from a superbowl appearance is a coach and a qb, jackson is really bad.
I disagree about Jackson entirely. He has a high skill set for a young kid. He is learning and will be a very good QB IMHO. Regarding the coach I agree 100%, Childress is an OC and always will be

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I disagree about Favre. He is overrated in the same way Emmitt Smith would be, they are compilers and tough performers.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I disagree about Favre. He is overrated in the same way Emmitt Smith would be, they are compilers and tough performers.
Emmit SMith ran behind human trees for 8 years in dallas. I could have ran for 10,000 yards with that line. He doesn't even compare to Payton, Brown, or Sanders.

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I disagree about Jackson entirely. He has a high skill set for a young kid. He is learning and will be a very good QB IMHO. Regarding the coach I agree 100%, Childress is an OC and always will be
C'mon are you watching the same guy I am? the guy is not an NFL caliber qb the Vikings could be a real threat to the Cowboys and Packers with an actual qb. Childress would be a genius if he had Peyton Manning at qb, it's funny how that works.

OVER-RATED
1) Tony Romo - I need to see him perform at a high level for more than part of a season before I anoint him like everyone else has.
2)Eli Manning - same assessment as with Jackson, at least Jackson wasn't first pick overall.
3) Tom Brady - not really but I hate him so much I had to put him on my list.

BULLDOG

Awards
LOL Romo will be in the league 5 years and people will still be saying that. He's played half of last year and three quarters of this year

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OVERRATED
McNabb
UNDERRATED
Romo (see last post)
Kitna
Brady overrated?.....my god i seriously hope you're kidding here.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
C'mon are you watching the same guy I am? the guy is not an NFL caliber qb the Vikings could be a real threat to the Cowboys and Packers with an actual qb. Childress would be a genius if he had Peyton Manning at qb, it's funny how that works.
are you kidding? he has progressed at a rapid rate and has shwon tremendous improvement. I am not saying he is top 10, but he is getting better every week and as a young kid is keeping his team out there without making too many mistakes

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
are you kidding? he has progressed at a rapid rate and has shwon tremendous improvement. I am not saying he is top 10, but he is getting better every week and as a young kid is keeping his team out there without making too many mistakes
Thats huge. Too many QB's try to make plays when their teams need big plays instead of maneging the game and handing the ball off to a stud RB (Adrian Peterson).

I, at one time, thought that about Kitna "he wont win you any games, but he wont lose them either" but he's slowy loseing it. I think their OC deserves more of the blame. If they get down by 7 at any point early or late all he wants to do is throw :blink:

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thats huge. Too many QB's try to make plays when their teams need big plays instead of maneging the game and handing the ball off to a stud RB (Adrian Peterson).

I, at one time, thought that about Kitna "he wont win you any games, but he wont lose them either" but he's slowy loseing it. I think their OC deserves more of the blame. If they get down by 7 at any point early or late all he wants to do is throw :blink:
I agree philosophically with everything you say here. There's too many OC's that kill successful drives trying to get fancy.

Distilled, I rarely get to watch Detroit in the Pittsburgh region but I definately can follow your logic with Kitna. The Steelers used to have a guy named Mike Tomczak that fit a similar description.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree philosophically with everything you say here. There's too many OC's that kill successful drives trying to get fancy.

Distilled, I rarely get to watch Detroit in the Pittsburgh region but I definately can follow your logic with Kitna. The Steelers used to have a guy named Mike Tomczak that fit a similar description.
In all lions win's they're balanced almost 50/50. They have 3 1,000 yard rushers ( at one point, Duckett had close to 800 not 1,000 but would have without VIck and Dunn).

Back on topic. I think Big Ben is legit (steelers :) ) I think he's the same kinda QB. He's having to learn to play without another intangeable WR in Randell El and the leadership lost in Bettis, not to mention all the stuff he's been thru since he's came into the league. Not to mention, from what i've watched, Willie Parker isn't a real consistant runner IMO

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

he had 3 ints and a fumble monday night, and has 6 tds 10 ints in 12 games. He has probably 1 of the best 3 olines in football on top of that.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established

All right, Celc, now I'm mad. You want to tell me how your boy Ben deserves the Pro Bowl over Garrard? Or even Derek Anderson? I don't get it. Stats are close, I suppose, but to your original point, Big Ben has been shaky lately, where Garrard has been great and Anderson has been solid too.

The other one I don't get is Tony Gonzalez over Kellen Winslow Jr. Again, similar stats. But the Chiefs suck and I always think when stats are similar that the guy who is contributing to the better team should get the nod. Maybe that's just me.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
All right, Celc, now I'm mad. You want to tell me how your boy Ben deserves the Pro Bowl over Garrard? Or even Derek Anderson? I don't get it. Stats are close, I suppose, but to your original point, Big Ben has been shaky lately, where Garrard has been great and Anderson has been solid too.
Ben saved the day on a Monday night against Baltimore. So a large portion of the voters' opinions will be skewed based on that performance. He's also a likable guy from a novice fan's prospective so he wins the popularity contest.

I was discussing Ben's status over a few drinks with my buddies the other night. I picked 7 QBs that I would rather have over Ben and 5 others that I picked as equals (according to this season only, to clarify). So, he wouldn't have made the pro bowl if my vote was the deciding the factor.

I've only watched Gerrard 2 or 3 times this season. He threw about 5 or 6 balls that our D-backs and LBs dropped against the Steelers. I was unimpressed based on that particular game only. On a side note, I was VERY impressed with how Jones-Drew attacked our blitzers on 3rd down throughout the whole game.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
Ben saved the day on a Monday night against Baltimore. So a large portion of the voters' opinions will be skewed based on that performance. He's also a likable guy from a novice fan's prospective so he wins the popularity contest.

I was discussing Ben's status over a few drinks with my buddies the other night. I picked 7 QBs that I would rather have over Ben and 5 others that I picked as equals (according to this season only, to clarify). So, he wouldn't have made the pro bowl if my vote was the deciding the factor.

I've only watched Gerrard 2 or 3 times this season. He threw about 5 or 6 balls that our D-backs and LBs dropped against the Steelers. I was unimpressed based on that particular game only. On a side note, I was VERY impressed with how Jones-Drew attacked our blitzers on 3rd down throughout the whole game.
Yeah, for a little guy, MJD packs a hell of a punch. Just ask Shawne Merriman! Or better yet, ask YouTube (quick, before the NFL pulls it again):

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

The other one I don't get is Tony Gonzalez over Kellen Winslow Jr. Again, similar stats. But the Chiefs suck and I always think when stats are similar that the guy who is contributing to the better team should get the nod. Maybe that's just me.

Gerrard has only 16 tds on the year

anderson has 56 comp. percentage over the same schedule.