College Football Records In The BCS Era

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
After a devastating loss to the Illini on saturday, I needed something to talk myself down off the ledge.For all of you who love to hate I compiled some stats on won-loss records during the BCS era, and my beloved Buckeyes need offer no apologies.

Most Total Team Wins BCS Era
1) Ohio State, = 108
2) Texas = 107
3) Boise State = 106
4) Georgia, Michigan = 104
6) Virginia Tech = 103
7) Florida State = 102
8) Florida = 101

All-Time Winning Percentage, BCS Championship Game

Record Percentage
Florida 1-0 1.000
LSU 1-0 1.000
Tenn. 1-0 1.000
Texas 1-0 1.000
Ohio St. 1-1 .500
USC 1-1 .500
Miami 1-1 .500
Florida St.1-2 .333
Oklahoma 1-2 .333
Nebraska 0-1 .000
Va. Tech 0-1 .000

Most BCS Games
Florida State 6
Ohio State 5
Oklahoma 5
USC 5
Florida 4
Miami (FL) 4
Michigan 4

BCS Won-Loss records

Florida State 1-5 .170
Ohio State 4-1 .800
USC 4-1 .800
Oklahoma 2-3 .400
Miami (Fla.) 3-1 .750
Florida 3-1 .750
Michigan 1-3 .250

Winning Percentage By Conference

Southeastern .692 (9-4)
Pacific-10 .636 (7-4)
Big East .556 (5-4)
Big Ten .533 (8-7)
Big 12 .417 (5-7

Last edited:
KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
Whatever you have to tell yourself. However, they were still out-played by an unranked Illinois. JUICE!

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Whatever you have to tell yourself. However, they were still out-played by an unranked Illinois. JUICE!
outplayed in all phases I agree, but I get tired of everyone hating on my beloved Buckeyes all the time and just wanted to point out that the data doesn't agree. Most don't want to be bothered with the facts though.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Not worth the time, J - not worth the time.

People always hate the team on top. I know plenty of people that hate LSU - just because they are now #1. Everyone hated you guys last year because you were #1.

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Not worth the time, J - not worth the time.

People always hate the team on top. I know plenty of people that hate LSU - just because they are now #1. Everyone hated you guys last year because you were #1.
It's more than that really I hear it constantly, the sec is so superior to all other conferences, top to bottom so deep , they just knock each other off every year blah blah blah blah. The same can said for every conference take the Big Ten there are 10 bowl eligible teams and only one (Minnesota) has a losing record.Don't they knock each other off every year? of course they do. There are three Big 12 teams in the top 5 so much for sec supremacy.

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
and as always

Longhorns > ohio state :D

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
and as always

:goodpost: I can see a debate brewing between BUCKNUTS and Outside Backer.

I think the BIG 10 does lack speed at skill positions when compared to the SEC or PAC-10. However, it's the team that succeeds, not the particular conference so I hate it when people make excuses about how their team is the greatest just because they played in the SEC, ACC, etc.

BUCKNUTS: The way you broke it down should help recruiters, that's great use of relevant information right there because it would show kids how weak Notre Dame has been in recent history !

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
and as always

You don't really believe that now do you? In case you have forgotten the very recent history between our teams let me remind you. In 2005 Texas came to Columbus, or Mecca as I like to call it as this is the birth place of football. We only lost that game VERY late, we should have won but we lost 25-22. We met again in 2006 and my #1 ranked beloved Buckeyes easily defeated Texas 24-7 and that score didn't reflect how non-competitive the game was. So after a review of the facts I'll say again you don't really believe that now do you? GO BUCKS!! Had Troy Smith played this entire football game the result would be different.

Last edited:
BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
:goodpost: I can see a debate brewing between BUCKNUTS and Outside Backer.

I think the BIG 10 does lack speed at skill positions when compared to the SEC or PAC-10. However, it's the team that succeeds, not the particular conference so I hate it when people make excuses about how their team is the greatest just because they played in the SEC, ACC, etc.

BUCKNUTS: The way you broke it down should help recruiters, that's great use of relevant information right there because it would show kids how weak Notre Dame has been in recent history !
Iron Warrior last year we had Tedd Ginn(track guy) and Gonzo who Ginn's own father said was as fast as he was and people still made this same old criticism OSU has plenty of speed at the skilled positions. I broke down the info to show that the orgasmic love affair with the sec and the constant bashing of Big Ten football is unfair, and it does have an effect on pollsters as evidenced by a three loss florida team being ranked nearly as high as we are with one loss.It also helped me feel better as I have been very moody since the debacle on saturday. We were outplayed but we should NEVER lose to Illinois, even a very improved one. As for Notre Dame I can't see how they rebound anytime soon they are historically bad and the BCS bowls the past two years were on reputation only, which was proven by the results of the games.

R

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
The Biggest difference between the B10 and The SEC is not speed, NFL combine numbers for "skill" players in the B10 are as good as any conference. It's the Defensive Lines, The SEC produces far better Tackles and Ends, not sure why, and the B10 has as good or better LBs.

Maybe I'm just biased, being a former Dixie D Lineman.

R

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I don't really care one way or another, but

I would confidently bet money that, either starting a few years back or from this point on, if the Buckeyes were to play the Longhorns ten or more times straight, the Bucks would win more often.

The Difference could be as simple as, IMO, Tressel and Staff are better coaches than Mack Brown and Company.

Impossible to prove, but I stand by my contention.

Say what you will about either tOSU or Michigan, neither program has hit the skids as hard as former powers like Miami, Nebraska, Notre Dame, etc. have, those are damn consistently good programs and Michigan will be dangerous as hell if they replace Carr and Company with a really good new coaching staff.

As an afterthought - Michigan losing to App State and getting blown out by Oregon was pretty seriously ****ed up bad, but that's on Carr and not on the Buckeyes.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Maybe I'm just biased, being a former Dixie D Lineman.
That was the big difference between Florida and Ohio St. last year. Good point and good analysis. I got carried away with the speed comment because I tend to watch more SEC teams than BIG 10 teams. I just have the tendency to talk without thinking at times :D

R

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
That was the big difference between Florida and Ohio St. last year. Good point and good analysis. I got carried away with the speed comment because I tend to watch more SEC teams than BIG 10 teams. I just have the tendency to talk without thinking at times :D
Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff, Iron Penis. Eastern fans have a ignorance bias against the Pac because they don't see them as often too.

I'm glad tOSU lost. I would much rather see either Oregon or Oklahoma versus LSU in the champ game. More entertaining stylistic matchups. Kansas does not get much cred from me until and if they can beat Missouri and the Sooners in the B12 champ game, they've been riding a weak schedule.

At least we're not Notre Dame fans. It's obvious that the Pats miss the offensive genius of Fat Charlie and his ten million $ ability to field the worst team in ND's history, haha.

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
You don't really believe that now do you? In case you have forgotten the very recent history between our teams let me remind you. In 2005 Texas came to Columbus, or Mecca as I like to call it as this is the birth place of football. We only lost that game VERY late, we should have won but we lost 25-22. We met again in 2006 and my #1 ranked beloved Buckeyes easily defeated Texas 24-7 and that score didn't reflect how non-competitive the game was. So after a review of the facts I'll say again you don't really believe that now do you? GO BUCKS!! Had Troy Smith played this entire football game the result would be different.
oh but i do :)

I do recall this though

We backed up our undefeated season with the greatest national championship win to date. beating teh so called Greatest college team ever on thier own turf. Im sure if VY stayed for another yr. OSu woulda lost in 06 but the main thing is this :D

Our superstar Qb didnt choke in the big game :D

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff, Iron Penis. Eastern fans have a ignorance bias against the Pac because they don't see them as often too.

I'm glad tOSU lost. I would much rather see either Oregon or Oklahoma versus LSU in the champ game. More entertaining stylistic matchups. Kansas does not get much cred from me until and if they can beat Missouri and the Sooners in the B12 champ game, they've been riding a weak schedule.

At least we're not Notre Dame fans. It's obvious that the Pats miss the offensive genius of Fat Charlie and his ten million $ ability to field the worst team in ND's history, haha.
RD, I'm about to give my **** a name, thanks for the idea LOL. East Coast fans are tea sippers who lift their finger up in the air while sipping their tea. I'm glad Boston College fell off the race. Oklahoma and Misery should handle the Jayhawks. BTW, I'm shocked Mangino hasn't had a heart attack or two ! The guy has to be the fattest coach in all of football, maybe he'll get one after they lose to Misery or Oklahoma.

Fat Charlie capitalized on Tom Brady. They made it seem like he fvckin made reads and throws for Tom Brady ! Now he's stuck with a decaying whore of a team. The only good things to come out of Notre Dame are Joe Montana and Bryant Young :)

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You have probably been listening to espn and other media outlets alot because they always state those same erroneous facts about lack of speed at the skilled positions in the Big Ten. I believe the media love affair with certain teams and conferences does have an effect on the polls, for example meatchicken was ranked top 5 and lost to App State and they fell completely out of the top 25. USC lost to a Stanford team that they were favored to beat by 40 and they didn't even fall out of the top 10 hhmm very curious.

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
oh but i do :)

I do recall this though

We backed up our undefeated season with the greatest national championship win to date. beating teh so called Greatest college team ever on thier own turf. Im sure if VY stayed for another yr. OSu woulda lost in 06 but the main thing is this :D

Our superstar Qb didnt choke in the big game :D
Vince was a beast against USC no doubt about it, but our loss last year was not on Troy he had people in his face before he finished his drop almost every time no qb could have had success under those conditions. That has nothing to do with the fact that we could have and I say should have beaten Texas both times we played them. Vince looked decidely human against our defense that year.I agree with Rogue if we line up against Texas ten time Ohio State wins the majority, you got your one year in the national championship picture I can't see it happening again any time soon.

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
it was jom tressels fault last yr but none the less t smiff had 50 yds passing pretty sad

u guys didnt once blitz chris leak who was garbage. that was the key u guys didnt unleash ur beat linebackers at all

and as u stated. i dont see ohiostate going to the NC anytime soon either

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Say what you will about either tOSU or Michigan, neither program has hit the skids as hard as former powers like Miami, Nebraska, Notre Dame, etc. have, those are damn consistently good programs and Michigan will be dangerous as hell if they replace Carr and Company with a really good new coaching staff.
They meant nothing in the 80's and most of the 90's as far as a national title, eh?
The Bucks couldn't win a big game period with Cooper.

Maybe no 5-7 downturn like The U has this year - but depends on definition of skids.

BDAWG

BDAWG

Awards
How's this, Texas Tech beats # 4 Oklahoma!

Massive ass beating. Feels so good.

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
i lovooooooooooooooooooooved it

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
BTW, I'm shocked Mangino hasn't had a heart attack or two ! The guy has to be the fattest coach in all of football, maybe he'll get one after they lose to Misery or Oklahoma.
That ain't right, IW.

Though, I've been referring to Kansas as the Fighting Planet's for a while now (instead of the Fighting Mangino's).

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
That ain't right, IW.

Though, I've been referring to Kansas as the Fighting Planet's for a while now (instead of the Fighting Mangino's).
Yeah, it was pretty f'd up to say but I don't actually hope he gets a heart attack. I'm just jeolous because Cal has collapsed and the Jayhawks might get in the Title game.

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
it was jom tressels fault last yr but none the less t smiff had 50 yds passing pretty sad

u guys didnt once blitz chris leak who was garbage. that was the key u guys didnt unleash ur beat linebackers at all

and as u stated. i dont see ohiostate going to the NC anytime soon either
Texas not OSU is who I said I can't see in the national championship picture OSU is this year and will be next year and on in to the near future.

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, it was pretty f'd up to say but I don't actually hope he gets a heart attack. I'm just jeolous because Cal has collapsed and the Jayhawks might get in the Title game.
I don't know Iron, as a nurse I know that level of obesity does predispose him to heart disease and I'm pretty sure he knows it to and doesn't care so it was a valid statement imo.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I don't know Iron, as a nurse I know that level of obesity does predispose him to heart disease and I'm pretty sure he knows it to and doesn't care so it was a valid statement imo.
:clap2: fair enough, you're repped ;)

B

BULLDOG

Awards
Some one wrote they don't see Ohio State going to the NC game anytime soon? They are the favorite to open as Number 1 next year, they only had 2 senior players one on offense and one on defense.
Bucknuts if you want another stat Ohio State has had more players drafted to the NFL than any other colledge since Tressel has been coach

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Some one wrote they don't see Ohio State going to the NC game anytime soon? They are the favorite to open as Number 1 next year, they only had 2 senior players one on offense and one on defense.
Bucknuts if you want another stat Ohio State has had more players drafted to the NFL than any other colledge since Tressel has been coach
Doubt it. As much as I hate to say it - the Gators will likely end up pre-season #1. They return a QB - OSU doesn't.
I'd say OSU starts out 2nd - depending on what the national champ looks like. If it's LSU - not sure. They'll lose Flynn and Glenn Dorsey - maybe Les Miles.

Look at who has the most 1st round picks since Tressel. ;)

R

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
They meant nothing in the 80's and most of the 90's as far as a national title, eh?
The Bucks couldn't win a big game period with Cooper.

Maybe no 5-7 downturn like The U has this year - but depends on definition of skids.
Maybe "hit the skids" was the wrong term, maybe a better way to say it would be a fall from the great heights, the dominant programs I mentioned have gone from championship level to middling level. Michigan never rose to the height of Miami, nor will Miami or FSU ever be as dominate as they once where, too much parity in increasingly competitive conferences.

The B10 is overall lacking in progressive coaches, things may get interesting all around the conferences as the musical chairs of coaching swaps start this post season. Michigan and Nebraska are dream Jobs, they can have anyone they want if they open up their wallets, but it's far easier to choose wrong than right.

B

BULLDOG

Awards
Ohio State has one of the leading players for the Heisman in Beanie Wells, also look for there O-Line to be the best for the next 3 years.
As far as coaches give me Jim Tressel

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah some Longhorns fan (clearly delusional) wrote that. I agree with you we will be pre-season #1, jmh even though Boeckman is 30 years old he still has a year of eligibility left and will be back next year. I read somewhere that Ohio State has put more players in the NFL in the past 15 years, but I can't remember where I read it so I can't qoute it.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I count 46 active guys from OSU
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/college?letter=o

I count 48 by the Canes.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/college?letter=m

Count 36 Gates and 40 Noles.

Again - those are guys on NFL rosters - I'd guess that's as of opening day (at least that's what I'm used to seeing).

I'll keep looking for a link of total guys in the NFL in X period of time.

I'd be hard pressed to see how you guys have more players in the league than Miami since about '83 or so (Jim Kelly).
First round picks - we flat out dominate.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Forgot - I thought Todd was a senior???

Was he a redshirt or something where this is only his 3rd year eligible but 4th year in school?

Well - that makes the vote closer in my mind between OSU and UF.

You guys play USC next year, right? I thought you guys rolled from SC in '08/'09 into Miami '10/'11.
If so - where's the game at? Cali or OH?

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established

Was he a redshirt or something where this is only his 3rd year eligible but 4th year in school?

You guys play USC next year, right? I thought you guys rolled from SC in '08/'09 into Miami '10/'11.
yea he was a readshirt. Theres no way he would survive in the draft though. No BIG game wins this season. and the Michigan defeat was all thanks to beanie.

Miami vs OSU will be a great rematch.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
Hey I have a question..

What's the difference between a dirty toliet bowl, and Michigan stadium?

B

BULLDOG

Awards
With USC its a home on home series. Next year at USC 2009 at Columbus. Then its home on home with the Canes 2010,2011 hopefully the Canes will be better by then

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
With USC its a home on home series. Next year at USC 2009 at Columbus. Then its home on home with the Canes 2010,2011 hopefully the Canes will be better by then
We will be better in the future. Hard to say exactly when.

Next year will be Shannon's first year with his recruits.
If I draw on Butch Davis' experience - we went 5-6 in '97 and then went and signed guys like Santana Moss, Dan Morgan, Reggie Wayne, etc.
In 3 years we were #2 (2000).

If Shannon can bring the talent in - I'd say that's the best case scenario. That would be top 5/10 in '10.
May take another year or 2 though - I think we may be worse in '07 than we were in '97.

I hope beyond hope we are damn good by '10 - I can't take any more of these games like we had against OU this year (50-13).
Otherwise - all the hoopla of OSU-UM will be down the toilet.
Which sucks.

B

BULLDOG

Awards
Recruiting is tough in Florida, with the other 2 lurking around. Good luck, hope its the great 2 games it should be

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
You know what, I'd like to see Miami, Florida, and Florida St play against each other every year. Any chance of that happening in the near future ?

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
You know what, I'd like to see Miami, Florida, and Florida St play against each other every year. Any chance of that happening in the near future ?
Ask the Gators.
They ended a 50+ year rivalry with the Canes when the SEC expanded in '88. They then decided to keep 2 cream puff OOC games and FSU.

You've seen that scenario happen 4 times since '88 - '00 (Miami beat both), '02 (Miami beat both), '03 (Miami beat both), and '04 (Miami beat both).

Though - '00 and '04 were bowl games between UF and UM.

I'd love to see it also. Doubt it's anything more than a one-off every decade.
You'll see it next year - we play at the Swamp on Sept. 6th - and 2013.

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

This is Todd's fifth year at OSU believe it or not, he is a 23 year old junior.He grey shirted, then red shirted and so still has one year (his 6th) I'm not sure I know what a grey shirt means, he's the only player I can ever remember who did it.

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hey I have a question..

What's the difference between a dirty toliet bowl, and Michigan stadium?
Not sure, but I do know how to get a Michigan graduate off your porch. Just pay him for the pizza.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
Not sure, but I do know how to get a Michigan graduate off your porch. Just pay him for the pizza.
Well there really is not difference :rofl:

haha thats a good one too.

I did a bit of research and "grey shirting" really is about when a player enrolls in which semester and weather he actually plays or just "practices" with the team. Its more complicated then that, but thats the outline of the concept.

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well there really is not difference :rofl:

haha thats a good one too.

I did a bit of research and "grey shirting" really is about when a player enrolls in which semester and weather he actually plays or just "practices" with the team. Its more complicated then that, but thats the outline of the concept.
Did you hear any of Tressels comments about Boeckman? One reporter asked him about his young qb and tressel said he's as old as I am, another time he made some statement about Boeckman being at Ohio State almost as long as he has too funny. Speaking of funny what's the difference between a porcupine and michigan stadium? At Michigan stadium the pricks are on the inside.

Last edited: