Adrian Peterson - The Next Bo Jackson?

FrankJ

Awards
  • Established
Personally I think he is the best athlete in the running back position since Bo. But sometimes I feel like he is doomed to suffer the same fate - catastrophic injury cutting his hall of fame potential short.

Just too big, too fast and too explosive - something has to give.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
I hear you. He's a monster. You also have to look at the fact that all of Minnesota's opposing defenses should be doing nothing but looking for the run, because of their ****ty pass offense.

He is definately a bad dude. That would be awesome if he broke Dickerson's rookie and season record.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
He very well could be but as Bill Parcells likes to say, lets hold off on putting him in Canton just yet.

:bruce3:

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
The guy has freakish physical ability. I haven't seen a RB with that many physical tools since Bo Jackson or even Christian Okoye. I've been actively watching football since 1987 so don't crucify me if I left someone out.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The guy has freakish physical ability. I haven't seen a RB with that many physical tools since Bo Jackson or even Christian Okoye. I've been actively watching football since 1987 so don't crucify me if I left someone out.
A guy that can set the NFL rushing record on a team without a QB or a deep threat? Thats insane.
Teams can stack 8 men in the box against him all day and not get burned by a passing attack. They still cant stop him. Urlacher and Merriman both said it wasn't that they werent in the correct defensive scheme to stop him, they just could not physically stop him.

We havent been this excited in Minnesota since Randy Moss left. Now all we need is a QB and on decent WR to go with Wade and Sidney Rice.

earlyriser73

earlyriser73

Awards
A guy that can set the NFL rushing record on a team without a QB or a deep threat? Thats insane.
Teams can stack 8 men in the box against him all day and not get burned by a passing attack. They still cant stop him. Urlacher and Merriman both said it wasn't that they werent in the correct defensive scheme to stop him, they just could not physically stop him.
Good post, he is amazing.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established

We havent been this excited in Minnesota since Randy Moss left. Now all we need is a QB and on decent WR to go with Wade and Sidney Rice.
Great points ! The guy has no supporting cast on offense. Give him a QB to take safeties out of the box and he'll be putting up 100 yards on a bad day.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
Packers did some damage.
Adrian Peterson is a great runner but he has to have help. The Packers defense was smokin today. With his performance so far this season, no teams will be sleeping on him.

IainDaniel

Awards
Problem being that Peterson has been known to be injury prone... is this just the beginning?

lilGiant

lilGiant

Awards
Personally I think he is the best athlete in the running back position since Bo. But sometimes I feel like he is doomed to suffer the same fate - catastrophic injury cutting his hall of fame potential short.

Just too big, too fast and too explosive - something has to give.
IF he is going ot get hurt i think it will be due to his physical nature of playing the game the way he does. I have yet to see him duck outtta bounds.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Problem being that Peterson has been known to be injury prone... is this just the beginning?
A guy puts his helmet on your knee at the moment you are making a cut back. OF COURSE you are going to get hurt.
This isnt the beginning of anything except bad luck and a cheap hit.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
It's easy to speculate now but RB is a tough position to play so there will be injuries regardless of how good you are. I think Barry Sanders and Curtis Martin are the only 2 great RB's that lasted 10 years with little or no damage. Just too much physical punishment and it catches up sooner or later. I saw a special on Earl Campbell and how fvcked up he is now due to the punishment he took with the Houston Oilers and it was quite the eye opener.

BDAWG

BDAWG

Awards
I have to agree with Iron Warrior. I don't believe Peterson is anymore injury prone than any other RB in the league, with the exception that he plays for the Vikings and they have zero passing game. If Peterson was playing with a well rounded team, for instance, the Dallas Cowboys :)cool:), then he would not be as vulnerable.

Edit: Oh and IW, sorry about your 9er's last night. I was really pulling for them. RIP Richard Nolan

avenue Red

Awards
he wont be the next Bo Jackson. Hes a rookie and when he learns to know when and when not to run out of bounds. and if the Vikings can learn to pass the ball even a little bit. he will be as dominating as ever.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
I hate to see that injury (even though it's supposed to be only one game he's out). I hope he continues to put up awesome number this season. I love to see records broken.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Edit: Oh and IW, sorry about your 9er's last night. I was really pulling for them. RIP Richard Nolan
Well, I think this is the first time a Cowboys fan has rooted for the 49ers :) Richard Nolan was an assisstant with the Cowboys before taking over for the 49ers in the 70's, may God bless his soul.

That was a rough one. The 49ers showed no heart on offense and even looked scared at times. Play calling has been too conservative and it's getting on my nerves ! I think my blood pressure spiked up another 10 points after the game.

avenue Red

Awards
lol ya. i hate the 9ers but i was rootin for them too. probably just cuz i like Frank Gore and Vernon Davis and i dont like anyone on the Seahawks

IainDaniel

Awards
A guy puts his helmet on your knee at the moment you are making a cut back. OF COURSE you are going to get hurt.
Yes a cheap hit. Quite the genius eh?

IainDaniel

Awards
It's easy to speculate now but RB is a tough position to play so there will be injuries regardless of how good you are. I think Barry Sanders and Curtis Martin are the only 2 great RB's that lasted 10 years with little or no damage. Just too much physical punishment and it catches up sooner or later. I saw a special on Earl Campbell and how fvcked up he is now due to the punishment he took with the Houston Oilers and it was quite the eye opener.

No doubt, He missed quite a few college games due to injury though. That is my point.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats not a cheap hit. He's a RB not a QB that just stepped up into the pocket and let the ball go. DB's and smaller LB have to go low to tackle a physical freak like Peterson.

I hope thi injury isn't one that lingers, he could do some damage.

BDAWG

BDAWG

Awards
Thats not a cheap hit. He's a RB not a QB that just stepped up into the pocket and let the ball go. DB's and smaller LB have to go low to tackle a physical freak like Peterson.

I don't think it will be. It was an LCL so shouldn't put him out for more than a game. Hopefully. For Minnesota's sake anyway.

Bruth

Bruth

Awards

Exactly the guy tackling him was Al Harris, a CB and a good one, but big size difference.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Yes a cheap hit. Quite the genius eh?
That wasn't a cheap hit. Things happen fast when you're playing football. He could have also hit a teammate on the knee. There are several occasions where a teammate accidentally drives his helmet on a teammates leg, knee, etc.

I don't know if you saw the injury that Bryant Young suffered in 1998 but it was a similar play and Ken Norton, Jr. (his teammate) sidelined him for the year on a hit to his lower leg.

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
wll i have a personal distaste for AP just because he is from oklahoma and i hate all sooners :D

but he has skills. but like many said. let see what happens

i mean hell he broke his collarbone celebrating in the endzone in college ya know

rippedforce63

Awards
  • Established
ahem Emmit Smith :thumbsup: My take on this is that yes he is a freak but does anybody else remember in previous years when every one and their mother was saying Lt, Larry Johnson, Priest Holmes, Edgerrin James, Jamal Lewis etc... and how they were the next incarnation of Jim Brown or Eric Dickerson. I mean all these guys are very good running backs but the longevity just isn't their anymore I mean the average lifespan on a rb these days is 4 years.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

I see your point about the lack of skill position support. But, there are some cattle on that Minnesota offensive line that are helping these backs run wild up there.

Not to take anything away from AP though. He's a suprisingly versatile runner and burst onto the scene for sure. I'm VERY satisfied with the quality of running backs in the NFL right now and I keep watch for the youngster in Buffalo as well. ...now if only there were more than 3 or 4 quality QBs in the league to bring more excitement again :head:

RippedForce, good point about longevity. The guy that stands out in my mind is Marshall Faulk.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
ahem Emmit Smith :thumbsup: My take on this is that yes he is a freak but does anybody else remember in previous years when every one and their mother was saying Lt, Larry Johnson, Priest Holmes, Edgerrin James, Jamal Lewis etc... and how they were the next incarnation of Jim Brown or Eric Dickerson. I mean all these guys are very good running backs but the longevity just isn't their anymore I mean the average lifespan on a rb these days is 4 years.
Cadillac Williams *ahem* talk of most impressive rookie ever then *ahem*.

RB is a notoriously fickle position. I'll reserve my judgment for another few years.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
If he can stay healthy - and that's a big if - I believe he has the potential to be one the best to ever play the position. He is simply an amazing athlete. But it's hard to stay healthy in this sport, and with his history of past injuries... Only time can tell.

But he is definitely the real deal and I look forward to watching his performances for as long as he's around.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

I dont know why LT would be put in that group, those are all good rbs , but LT has earned the right to be mention with elite rbs.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If he can stay healthy - and that's a big if - I believe he has the potential to be one the best to ever play the position. He is simply an amazing athlete. But it's hard to stay healthy in this sport, and with his history of past injuries... Only time can tell.

But he is definitely the real deal and I look forward to watching his performances for as long as he's around.
The hype about AP's injury history is so overplayed. He has had a series of freak injuries that have little to do with his running style. Here is a summary of his injuries.

2004:
Oklahoma played 13 games. Peterson played in everyone of them. He started 8. He ran for 2040 yds on 339 carries for over 6 yards a carry and 15 TDs.

2005:
Oklahoma played 12 games. Peterson played in 11 of them. He started 8 games, and played only part of 3 games. He ran for 1195 yards on 220 carries for almost 5.5 yards per carry & 14 TDs. He only got 11 carries in the 3 games, so for argument sake I'll say he really only played in 9 of the 12 games. His injury? An ankle sprain. So rare for a RB. A devastating injury they said. One that is impossible to comeback from, and that plagues football players for years......... Didn't happen.

2006:
Heisman contender for the first 6 games until he got hurt on a freak play where he dove into the endzone and broke his collarbone. We are talking about a collarbone breaking. The definition of a freak injury. Up until then, he averaged 5.85 yards a carry.

2007:
Was solid in his first 3 games averaging 21 carries and 90 yards a game. Broke out against Green Bay and averaged nearly 10 yards a carry on 12 carries in the first half. Brad Childress kept him out of the 2nd half of the game and fans were very upset. Took the reigns off the next week vs the Bears and AP broke out for 224 yards on 20 carries. Had two mediocre games the next 2 weeks, then set the NFL rushing record against the Chargers. The following week against the Vikings most bitter rival, the Green Bay Packers defensive players putting out bounties to each other to keep him under 100 yards. The Vikings had a historically bad game and in the 3rd quarter Al Harris (desperate to hold AP under 100 yards in a game they were absolutely dominating) over zealously dove at AP's knee from behind and to the side when AP was making a cut. If that is not a freak occurrence I don't know what is. The result was that he tore the ligament in his knee that keeps it from bending outward. He was back in practice about 10 days later, and would have played after missing one game had it been a playoff game. And this is with a coach that is very conservative and is doing everything to protect AP.

These are not signs of chronic injuries such as pulled muscles, they are bones breaking and ligaments tearing. If someone hits you in a bad way your bones and ligaments are only made to give so much. Hamstring/Joint/Groin problems would indicated he is injury prone.

Running backs do have a short shelf life in the NFL but AP's past injuries don't indicate at all that he will have a short career.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I thought he dislocated his shoulder as well :think: ...I'm less familiar with AP so it's possible the source on ESPN got that confused with the collarbone issue.

FrankJ

Awards
  • Established
These are not signs of chronic injuries such as pulled muscles, they are bones breaking and ligaments tearing. If someone hits you in a bad way your bones and ligaments are only made to give so much. Hamstring/Joint/Groin problems would indicated he is injury prone.
I disagree because it suggests structure is not as tough as his muscles are strong/fast. Plus he is big, energy is mass * acceleration. His body produces a massive amount of energy that possibly his frame cant contain.

AP has a small-frame, and explosive musculature, much like a bodybuilder. Many bodybuilders were formally freakish sports stars who were too frequently injured.

I hope they sit him a couple more weeks. Id rather have him play 12 games a year for 10 years than 16 games for 5 years.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I disagree because it suggests structure is not as tough as his muscles are strong/fast. Plus he is big, energy is mass * acceleration. His body produces a massive amount of energy that possibly his frame cant contain.

AP has a small-frame, and explosive musculature, much like a bodybuilder. Many bodybuilders were formally freakish sports stars who were too frequently injured.

I hope they sit him a couple more weeks. Id rather have him play 12 games a year for 10 years than 16 games for 5 years.
You did not even address his injuries in your "argument". Like I said, his injuries are all freakish occurances and nothing can prevent a bone from breaking or tendon from tearing that part of your body his hit perfectly so it has to bear all of the force.
And once again, you are not a doctor. Brad Childress is one of the most conservative coaches in the NFL and would not do anything to jeopardize AP or his coaching career. I think he will be fine playing this week.

FrankJ

Awards
  • Established
You did not even address his injuries in your "argument". Like I said, his injuries are all freakish occurances and nothing can prevent a bone from breaking or tendon from tearing that part of your body his hit perfectly so it has to bear all of the force.
And once again, you are not a doctor. Brad Childress is one of the most conservative coaches in the NFL and would not do anything to jeopardize AP or his coaching career. I think he will be fine playing this week.
I did address his injuries - they are all bone and tendon related just like you said. My "arguement" is that his muscles are so explosive, it puts his bones and tendons at greater risk.

Just like Bo Jackson.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
CNorris, any info on the dislocated shoulder? This is something that does NOT heal and will be a chronic problem even with surgery. If this is correct, then he'll be at risk every single play.

A broken collarbone can heal and an ankle can be braced and taped up. These 2 should NOT be problems for the rook.

The way you described the LCL sprain sounds nasty to me. Backs HATE to wear knee braces that provide medial and lateral stability unless they're a North/South bruiser.

So far, I really enjoy watching his running style. I'm just trying to be an objective NFL fan looking in from the outside.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
By definition a 'freak occurrence' is an improbable and infrequent event. When a single individual succumbs to a successive amount of 'freak occurrences' one logically sees a pattern. In AP's case, a pattern of minor injuries, suggesting a less than structurally integral frame.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
By definition a 'freak occurrence' is an improbable and infrequent event. When a single individual succumbs to a successive amount of 'freak occurrences' one logically sees a pattern. In AP's case, a pattern of minor injuries, suggesting a less than structurally integral frame.
Your philosophical reasponse does not address the facts at hand.

What makes it improbable and infrequent is the fact that you see people diving into end zones all the time without breaking collar bones. How many people break collar bones in football? Does AP have brittle bones? I doubt it if he was able to last in the NFL without breaking any other bone than one of the most bones that one of the more improbable ones to break.

Also a person diving from behind and from the side and puts his helmet on your knee the second you make a cut is a freak occurance.

Sure there is a pattern developing, a pattern of freak occurances, but when the injuries are looked at individually none can suggest they have ANYTHING to do with the biology of the player.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
CNorris, any info on the dislocated shoulder? This is something that does NOT heal and will be a chronic problem even with surgery. If this is correct, then he'll be at risk every single play.

A broken collarbone can heal and an ankle can be braced and taped up. These 2 should NOT be problems for the rook.

The way you described the LCL sprain sounds nasty to me. Backs HATE to wear knee braces that provide medial and lateral stability unless they're a North/South bruiser.

So far, I really enjoy watching his running style. I'm just trying to be an objective NFL fan looking in from the outside.
I have not heard anything about a dislocated shoulder.

A ligament tear never sounds good, but the LCL is by far the one you want to tear if any. AP said he was symptom free after 10 days so it sounds fairly minor. I'm not even sure he is going to wear the brace next week.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your philosophical reasponse does not address the facts at hand.

What makes it improbable and infrequent is the fact that you see people diving into end zones all the time without breaking collar bones. How many people break collar bones in football? Does AP have brittle bones? I doubt it if he was able to last in the NFL without breaking any other bone than one of the most bones that one of the more improbable ones to break.

Also a person diving from behind and from the side and puts his helmet on your knee the second you make a cut is a freak occurance.

Sure there is a pattern developing, a pattern of freak occurances, but when the injuries are looked at individually none can suggest they have ANYTHING to do with the biology of the player.
And your deliberate ignorance and contemptuousness prevents you from seeing the 'facts' you are attempting to expound in the first place.

I am not sure what is the inherently difficult aspect of the definition of 'freak occurrence' you are having trouble grasping. If he were to jump into the endzone and break his collar bone, decontextualized from the rest of his injuries, therein you could classify that as freak. And that is your issue, decontextualization. Many things can be misconstrued once you remove them from context. If you forget all of AP's other injuries, you're right, he is not injury prone. However, they did occur, and as such, they add that cantankerous little constituent of reality you hate so much, context. Which allows us to properly frame the actions of an individual within a totality, which, crazy I know, I like to call reality. Welcome to it.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
And your deliberate ignorance and contemptuousness prevents you from seeing the 'facts' you are attempting to expound in the first place.

I am not sure what is the inherently difficult aspect of the definition of 'freak occurrence' you are having trouble grasping. If he were to jump into the endzone and break his collar bone, decontextualized from the rest of his injuries, therein you could classify that as freak. And that is your issue, decontextualization. Many things can be misconstrued once you remove them from context. If you forget all of AP's other injuries, you're right, he is not injury prone. However, they did occur, and as such, they add that cantankerous little constituent of reality you hate so much, context. Which allows us to properly frame the actions of an individual within a totality, which, crazy I know, I like to call reality. Welcome to it.
Sorry my reality isnt determined in a philosophy class. Reality is he is unfortunate. Injury prone means his body is prone to injuries, not that his body is prone to a series of individual freak occurrances that would injure anyones body they happened to. Like I said a million times, bones and tendons arent made to absorb a force beyone a certain level without catastrophic failure. He is unfortunate and you cant tell me his injuries are a consequence of some flaw in his anatomical structure.

I know If I said the world was round, you would say its flat so I am not really concerned about your reality, just mine and the rest of the world's. :fool2:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nor is mine. In my reality, AP has had injuries occur with force, which was minor, relatively speaking. He is like Peter Forseberg in the NHL, unprecedented amounts of skill and an incredibly physically dominating player. However, his structural integrity does not lend itself to constant abuse i.e., he can stand a 300lb linemen up just as easily as he will sprain an ankle getting out of a car.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I used to enjoy watching the 2 or 3 years that Robert Smith tore up the league too. ... he was good on ESPN this morning if it's any consolation? :lol:

Nah seriously, I like AP and that vid is totally kick a$$. But CNorris, he's totally injury prone and you're in complete denial bro.

MulletSoldier, I am thoroughly impressed by your vocabulary... no joke bro wow :head:

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I used to enjoy watching the 2 or 3 years that Robert Smith tore up the league too. ... he was good on ESPN this morning if it's any consolation? :lol:

Nah seriously, I like AP and that vid is totally kick a$$. But CNorris, he's totally injury prone and you're in complete denial bro.

MulletSoldier, I am thoroughly impressed by your vocabulary... no joke bro wow :head:
Are you also impressed by his ability to use those big words without making one valid argument? I am. It reminds me of reading a philosophy book.

Denial? No, you just haven't thought it out enough.
I already clearly explained why he is unfortunate and doesn't have some anatomical flaw that results in AP having suffered his injuries.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you also impressed by his ability to use those big words without making one valid argument? I am. It reminds me of reading a philosophy book.

Denial? No, you just haven't thought it out enough.
I already clearly explained why he is unfortunate and doesn't have some anatomical flaw that results in AP having suffered his injuries.
Well, by your use of the terminology 'Philosophy book' I'll take an assumptive leap of faith you have not read many. The argument is there, and completely valid. AP is injury prone, and your completely denial of that allows us to ascribe a few positive qualities to you:

a) you're retarded
b) you're disagreeing for no other purpose besides being cantankerous, contemptuous, and inflammatory
c) you cannot read and/or interpret spoken language.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well, by your use of the terminology 'Philosophy book' I'll take an assumptive leap of faith you have not read many. The argument is there, and completely valid. AP is injury prone, and your completely denial of that allows us to ascribe a few positive qualities to you:

a) you're retarded
b) you're disagreeing for no other purpose besides being cantankerous, contemptuous, and inflammatory
c) you cannot read and/or interpret spoken language.
My degree is in engineering... cold hard facts. I have read some philosophy in lib ed classes enough to know it makes me want to go back to even the worst engineering class.

I did ride the short bus once but only because it was the after school activity bus.

I am disagreeing with you because I am right.

I can interpret spoken language fine, but I don't know how to read spoken language.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Cnorris puts up a good argument. I think we'll know for sure within the next 2 years if AP is really injury prone. The injuries he's sustained have been somewhat freakish, not typical of someone that's "injury prone". Maybe I'm using a bit of wishful thinking, because I think AP is the best since Barry Sanders(totally different style, but). Don't believe the hype. Stick to the CFL, Mullet.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My degree is in engineering... cold hard facts. I have read some philosophy in lib ed classes enough to know it makes me want to go back to even the worst engineering class.

I did ride the short bus once but only because it was the after school activity bus.

I am disagreeing with you because I am right.

I can interpret spoken language fine, but I don't know how to read spoken language.
Reading and interpreting spoken language are not mutually inclusive properties. The 'and/or' conjunction delineated an exclusive separation, though strong agreement, between the two properties. I realize your 'engineering' degree more than likely did not assist in your reading comprehension skills, so may I suggest a more linear manner of posting for yourself?:

a) read post
b) consider it
c) read again
d) realize you are CNorris and have the comprehension of my kid brother's pet rock
e) read once more
f) post.

Nice attempt on the burn though, ass.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Cnorris puts up a good argument. I think we'll know for sure within the next 2 years if AP is really injury prone. The injuries he's sustained have been somewhat freakish, not typical of someone that's "injury prone". Maybe I'm using a bit of wishful thinking, because I think AP is the best since Barry Sanders(totally different style, but). Don't believe the hype. Stick to the CFL, Mullet.
Exactly. We both made our points, let it rest since this thread got way too off topic. This debate will be put to rest by the rest of AP's career, unless he gets a piece of shrapnel stuck in his leg from a terrorist attack and Mullet calls him injury prone because of it.

Reading and interpreting spoken language are not mutually inclusive properties. The 'and/or' conjunction delineated an exclusive separation, though strong agreement, between the two properties. I realize your 'engineering' degree more than likely did not assist in your reading comprehension skills, so may I suggest a more linear manner of posting for yourself?:

a) read post
b) consider it
c) read again
d) realize you are CNorris and have the comprehension of my kid brother's pet rock
e) read once more
f) post.

Nice attempt on the burn though, ass.