Teams eliminated from the national title race 9/29/07

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
1) Oklahoma. Bye! Strength of schedule won't get it done after the loss to Colorado 27-24.

2) West Virginia. Bye! Same goes for your S.O.S. after losing at South FLA.

Edit
3) Texas - come on down! Boy, that Red River game next week looks like a barn burner. Kansas St put a butt whippin' on the Horns.

I'll go ahead and throw in Clemson (even though no ACC team has a chance) after they laid an egg at Georgia Tech.

Last edited:

Benderzzz

Awards
I played against that eberhardt in highschool (the game winning kicker). His kickoffs were in the air longer than punts it was crazy tough to return kicks like that.
glad Oklahoma got knocked off their high horse:toofunny: :toofunny:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
That dude is guaranteed whatever 'tang he wants the rest of his life in Boulder.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Rutgers - you've been selected after losing to Maryland at home!

Much sadness in Piscataway tonight.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Florida Gators - you have been summoned.
Tommy Tubberville says he's got something to chomp on...

Man - 2007, one helluva year in college football.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
They're going to run out of teams to rank before long. OSU is going to jump from 8th to 5th or 4th, and we still haven't played anyone of worth. This is a messed up year all-around.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
After I created this thread (fully having no idea 5 of the top 10 would lose by late last night), I've come to realize any one loss team probably isn't really out of the national title race per se.

Pretty sure more upsets will continue.

Yesterday was a fun day all around - even with Miami playing like crap against Duke.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Binge,
I think Herbstreit called something like this. I think he said one top 10 team would lose every week for the first month/month and a half.

I'm pretty sure that's happened.
Though yesterday takes the cake.
Makes next week's showdown whatever look not so big.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
This is a prefect example of why early season rankings are meaningless. You get some over-hyped teams that are good but are ranked higher then they should be.

The Ohio State University might be back again if they get past Wisconsin. Cal has created a never before seen madness for college football in the Bay Area with their start. DeSean Jackson deserves Heisman consideration for that performance. He has track speed with skills.

I think Florida still has a chance if they run the table from now 'til the SEC title game. Texas should be ashamed about that whooping they took at home vs. K-State. I thought Oklahoma had that game wrapped up but they got punked at Boulder !

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
tOSU's the best team in the B10 right now, and that ain't saying much at all, Whisky looks like Texas did, a team not playing up to it's ability, a loss waiting to happen. The rest of the B10 is really weak, OSU looks to be in cruise control without a real test until their Bowl. Maybe that's not fair, even a bad Michigan will play good and hard in "THE GAME".

Props to Cal, but tempered by my belief that the Ducks beat themselves with four turnovers, your opponent losing a game doesn't suggest as much strength as your team winning it, like Colorado v Chokolohoma, letting a 24-7 third quarter lead get away. That was the worst "upset" of this weekend.

That being said, if the Huskies can match Southern Cal to the wire, then Cal certainly can too, and maybe win. Nebraska getting 40 points scored on them by Ball State doesn't make USC's victory in Lincoln look like such hot stuff.

Auburn beat Florida on more intensity and better execution, but I doubt the Tigers are the better team, Tubs is a great big game coach. Florida will give LSU a good game, but they can't hold back those Tigers for four full quarters.

I think every one of these top rated losers, save Rutgers, and I'm not sure about WV and their perceived strength of schedule, can probably get back in the race, if others lose and they win out from here on in.

That's my take, what's yours?

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
tOSU's the best team in the B10 right now, and that ain't saying much at all, Whisky looks like Texas did, a team not playing up to it's ability, a loss waiting to happen. The rest of the B10 is really weak, OSU looks to be in cruise control without a real test until their Bowl. Maybe that's not fair, even a bad Michigan will play good and hard in "THE GAME".

Props to Cal, but tempered by my belief that the Ducks beat themselves with four turnovers, your opponent losing a game doesn't suggest as much strength as your team winning it, like Colorado v Chokolohoma, letting a 24-7 third quarter lead get away. That was the worst "upset" of this weekend.

That being said, if the Huskies can match Southern Cal to the wire, then Cal certainly can too, and maybe win. Nebraska getting 40 points scored on them by Ball State doesn't make USC's victory in Lincoln look like such hot stuff.

Auburn beat Florida on more intensity and better execution, but I doubt the Tigers are the better team, Tubs is a great big game coach. Florida will give LSU a good game, but they can't hold back those Tigers for four full quarters.

I think every one of these top rated losers, save Rutgers, and I'm not sure about WV and their perceived strength of schedule, can probably get back in the race, if others lose and they win out from here on in.

That's my take, what's yours?
Hard to tell who the best Big 11 team is IMO. OSU did a great job vs. Wash. But - they are hot and cold, at best. Looked pretty good against USC.
I dunno on the Bucks. I'll reserve judgment till they play the Illiini or Spartans (which are before Wisky and Mich, I think).

I really think the Big 11 champ will have at least one loss.
Like you said, Mich has a damn good shot at doing some serious damage in the conf. Mallet looks pretty good, from what I've seen.

I called a Chokelahoma loss at some point this year at work. I said it would be the Big 12 title game. Little did I know it would be the next week against CU.
I knew the other shoe would drop for Bradford and that O. No passes to Malcolm Kelly is just stooopid.

Cal won at Oregon. Good enough for me. Autzen seems like a tough place to win.
DeShawn deserves Heisman consideration.
I think the Bears have their best shot in 5 years to beat SC. They get them at home and SC seems to have the typical "too many stars" trouble that I saw at Miami under Coker.
(Speaking of - where the hell is Joe McKnight??)

Tubbs is just an amazing road coach. Big game - War Eagle is money. Probably THE best in college football right now, in my opinion.
When the lights are on - that dude usually wins.
I think he's like 13-1 in road SEC games. Lone loss was here in Baton Rouge when they missed like 8 field goals.

The Gates have no real RB. I don't care what Gator fans say. When Tebow is the only guy you have to get yards between the tackles - that isn't a complete offense. Forget the Meyer crap.
It showed against AU. The AU d-line dominated up front.

I think this more than anything kills their chances against LSU. Dorsey is the BEST DL I've seein in college since Warren Sapp. Admitedly, I've not seen him more than the few games this year that were on TV. But - man, the quickness off the line, ability to split the gap, run lateral to tackle a good RB with one arm. Awesome.
Dude will make a great Miami Dolphin (who are a sorry-azz franchise).

The thing about LSU that I continue to maintain is that they don't have a go to player. Maybe he's there and just hasn't developed yet. But - right now, they have no one.
I don't think that's a killer for them to make it to the Sugar Bowl. But - if a team jumps on them via turnovers (where Dorsey can't help you), I'm not sure how they respond. Trindon Holliday is a good RB - but he's a little scatback.
You can't go looking for him down 7 points with 2 mins. left against the Gates or Wildcats or the War Eagles.

The Gators have some really good players on D - Major Wright at safety chief among them - but they are young and are going to make mistakes.

Agree on the new one loss teams. With the obvious parity this year, anyone has a chance.
I think we have a one loss Sugar Bowl champ and that the BCS will be a NIGHTMARE to pick with a bunch of 1 loss teams.

Benderzzz

Awards
USC now has been beaten by a team that was lucky to take the same field as them
Captain Comeback does it again
simply amazing
so you were right that Cal is the class of the Pac 10

Stanford???:icon_lol:
unbeliveable
USC>>:drunk: :whip: <<Stanford

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Man - that Stanford win is probably as big (if not bigger) than the AppSt win over Mich.

I mean - on the road against the #1.5 team with a back-up QB????

Mind boggling.

Helluva 4th and goal catch for the TD. That was just a great job by the WR.

Benderzzz

Awards
yea it was a great catch and throw
but the defense by stanford is what impressed me
they stone em on the goal line to get the ball back awesome D Stanford. I believe they just had a Super Hero type effort from everyone on the field that day and they deserve to savor the victory over a talented USC team that used to be very full of themselves.

So who plays for the title this year then??

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I have no idea. I fully expect no undefeated teams.

I think the BCS will be a f'ing nightmare to figure out whom makes it to NO for the championship.

Basically - I'm not making any predictions except for the upset thread every week.

size

Awards
  • Established
The thing about LSU that I continue to maintain is that they don't have a go to player.
They have had him for years. He is not much flash but year after year he has beaten out all the top recruits. Jacob Hester. He is consistent and gets the ball when they need something positive

zbtboy

zbtboy

Anabolic Innovations Rep
Awards
  • Established
They have had him for years. He is not much flash but year after year he has beaten out all the top recruits. Jacob Hester. He is consistent and gets the ball when they need something positive
This was the first LSU game i caught this year, and your right, Hester looked really good. I'm a big fan of the coach too...going for it on 4th down 5 times is gutsy. I like it.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I have no idea. I fully expect no undefeated teams.

I think the BCS will be a f'ing nightmare to figure out whom makes it to NO for the championship.

Basically - I'm not making any predictions except for the upset thread every week.
LOL making predictions didn't even work out for Nostradamos so I'm with you on that. I just hope Cal's defense maintains their level of play all year long.

Benderzzz

Awards
another crazy one this week
cal loses because of their dumb a$$ QB
LSU loses because they didnt get any breaks and ran into a good Kentucky team (Kentucky??!!) and Jacob Hester wasnt in on the 4th down play to end the game
At least ASU is undefeated lol
Look forward to the rest of the season

size

Awards
  • Established
LSU loses because they didnt get any breaks and ran into a good Kentucky team (Kentucky??!!) and Jacob Hester wasnt in on the 4th down play to end the game
Like I said above, Hester is the go to player for LSU. He hurt his thigh very early in the game and that was it for him and apparently LSU as well. LSU WRs should be embarrassed by how many passes they dropped. They need Doucet to come back and play.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Like I said above, Hester is the go to player for LSU. He hurt his thigh very early in the game and that was it for him and apparently LSU as well. LSU WRs should be embarrassed by how many passes they dropped. They need Doucet to come back and play.
They have talent at WR - but they aren't good enough now.

Obviously - CB doesn't have much depth. When Chevis went down, Eugene wasn't ready to play. UK took advantage.

Like I said somewhere else (mabye BB.com) - Rich Brooks and his offense deserves ALL the credit for this win. That pump and go on the goal line when LSU brought one more pass rusher than they had blockers was executed about as well as I've seen for a crucial game on the line play.

Major league props to Kentucky. You boys earned that victory.
(UK fans - just don't burn all the couches there in Lexington...)

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
another crazy one this week
cal loses because of their dumb a$$ QB
At least ASU is undefeated lol
Look forward to the rest of the season
Jesus bro, that was a retarded play by Cal's QB. Too bad Longshore got hurt :frustrate