Ayanbadejo (RB Chicago Bears) Suing ALRI??

zbtboy

zbtboy

Anabolic Innovations Rep
Awards
  • Established
Chicago Bears, Brendon Ayanbadejo, Obafemi Ayanbadejo, National Football League - CBS SportsLine.com

Bears FB Ayanbadejo suspended four games

Aug. 9, 2007
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Chicago Bears fullback Obafemi Ayanbadejo said he might sue the maker of an over-the-counter supplement after the NFL suspended him for the first four regular-season games without pay for violating the league's policy on anabolic steroids and related substances on Thursday.
Advertisement

The suspension begins Sept. 1 and ends following the game against Detroit on Sept. 30. He is eligible to participate in preseason games and practices.

Ayanbadejo insisted he did not take steroids, did not knowingly "infringe on the rules of the NFL performance-enhancing drug policy" and that he had passed "60-plus drug tests and never failed one."

"I've never had a problem at any level -- collegiately, in the NFL," he said.

Ayanbadejo said he used a product called Max LMG, which decreases estrogen levels and boosts testosterone, for three weeks in January. He got tested that month, learned in April that he had failed and had an appeal hearing a few days before training camp opened.

"I am going to pursue civil action against the company," he said.

Chicago's Obafemi Ayanbadejo claims he passed '60-plus drug tests and never failed one.' (Getty Images)
Chicago's Obafemi Ayanbadejo claims he passed '60-plus drug tests and never failed one.' (Getty Images)
But while threatening to sue, Ayanbadejo also pointed a finger at himself. He said he should have sent a sample to the league for evaluation before using the product. He also said the punishment was too harsh and that the NFL's arbitrators should have more authority to reduce it if a player simply made an honest mistake.

"We're not idiots," said Ayanbadejo, entering his ninth NFL season and first with the Bears. "We can, for the most part, figure out when a guy's being genuine, if his story holds up -- which mine does. When a guy's getting a bad rap, which I think I am. We should give the arbitrator the ability to lessen the sentence when I had clean drug tests November, December, February, March, April and I took the supplement in January."

While the failed test and appeal hung over him, another issue arose on June 5.

The Arizona Cardinals waived him after three seasons -- because of the test result, according Ayanbadejo. The Bears, apparently, had no such reservations and signed him to a one-year deal a week later.

"He was up front right away," coach Lovie Smith said after practice on Thursday night. "He told us what happened, and we took it from there."

The move to Chicago -- where he was born -- reunited the 32-year-old Ayanbadejo with his brother Brendon, a linebacker who was his teammate with the Miami Dolphins in 2003. Brendon Ayanbadejo, who's a year younger, said his brother told him about the failed test around 2 a.m. one morning while they were vacationing in Las Vegas.

"I was really upset," he said. "But we're just glad that it's over with. We're glad that he has an answer and he knows where he stands now. ... We're moving on. We're trying to put it behind us. But all the time leading up until we got the answer from the NFL and fighting the appeal, it was a lot more stressful."

Obafemi Ayanbadejo insisted he's not a cheater.

"My intent was not to do anything wrong," he said. "I did not take a steroid. I would never do anything to embarrass my brother, my family, my kids, my friends, my teammates. It's unfortunate that this is what got me released from Arizona."

Ayanbadejo has 513 yards rushing, 885 receiving and eight touchdowns in his career, but he has specialized in special teams play.

"I do support the rules," he said. "I just have a little problem with the way they were executed. I wish somebody could come in and use reason and say, 'Hey, you know what? There's a difference between anabolic steroids that someone's injecting' and someone taking a supplement like I took."
AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
He's just another idiot that uses something without knowing what it is. ALRI never hid the fact that MaxLMG as a designer steroid.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Produce More Testosterone Without Added Estrogen Conversion!
Over that last few years the supplement industry has created many new effective performance-enhancing products. The most notable being the now illegal prohormones and prosteroids because, simply stated: They built a lot of muscle for a lot of people.Some of these products were so anabolic that many felt that the need to legally reclassify them as illegal and controlled substances under the new Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 2004. (And they did reclassify all known compounds at that time). Prior to that, innovative companies were able to use references to "anabolic and androgenic ratio" as well as compare the effects to "known controlled anabolic/androgenic steroids". With the enactment of the new laws, companies lost the ability to refer to substances in this manner any longer as the reference in itself validates the addition of the substance to the anabolic list and making it too illegal in as little as 2 weeks. In short, great products were lost again.

"The Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 2004 was signed into law by President George W. Bush on October 22, 2004. A new law closed the so-called legal loophole that allowed the sale in dietary supplements of steroid chemicals used as anabolic hormones or their precursors."

The Anabolic Steroid Control Act now states, in part...
"(A) The term 'anabolic steroid' means any drug or hormonal substance, chemically and pharmacologically related to testosterone (other than estrogens, progestins, corticosteroids, and dehydroepiandrosterone), and includes... (Pretty much everything we now miss)

So, any claim of a supplement providing an anabolic effect, or even a relationship to (or comparison to) a known controlled hormone or substance, means that the product is not going to be around for very long before it is included within the Anabolic Steroid Act. For that matter, voluntarily pulled from the market to avoid chancing more negative media upon our industry. Hmmm, okay... okay, fair enough.

Introducing Max LMG

Under the new Anabolic Steroid Act of 2004 and Dietary Supplement Health Education Act of 2004, it is sometimes difficult to give the credit due a new product, and worse, it leaves the consumer uninformed. Let's see if I can give some usable info that is still legal to state in website copy yet of some value. Ergomax LMG was a unique pheromone matrix that had amazing positive effects upon body composition and sex-drive. Unfortunately we had to pull it to avoid more negative focus upon our industry. Max LMG is our next generation body composition goodie, and yes, it got the name due to some of its comparable effects...plus a few added values.

The active compound in Max LMG is 13-ethyl-3-methoxy-gona-2,5(10)-diene-17-one. I find it unlikely that there are very many aware of this structure, but it is certainly worth discussing. It is legal because it is a progestin, and before anyone thinks "birth-control", remember that trenbolone, nandrolone, methyltrienolone and Methyl-Dien are all progestins. I doubt anyone will dispute the effects of these compounds upon favorable body composition. But they do all have one bad effect to put an end to... (I should add as a relevant comparison that Clomid and Nolvadex are estrogens...and how many males have rid themselves of feminizing effects plus increased natural testosterone production with them?)

As a progestin, Max LMG is structurally related to the so-called abortion pill RU-486 and as such acts as an "anti-progesterone". Yes, this means decreased estrogen-like effects and an increase in libido. This is likely why so many testers have referred to Max LMG as the anti-Deca-****/Tren-**** product. Research suggests that Max LMG has a half-life of about 6 hours, though it appears that it is closer to 10 hours based upon plasma levels maintained in our test subjects. It is not a 17-alkylated analog thus having very low potential for liver toxicity. However, it should be noted that oral bioavailability is significant as a administration protocol of 25mg 3 times daily provides about the same results as 10mg 2 times daily of Ergomax LMG in regard to body composition effects, strength and lean mass.

Progestins do not aromatize to estrogens and being a 5-alpha-reduced analog prevents conversion to DHT. It is important to remember that being 5-alpha-reduced also means it is related to DHT. Hmmm, 5-alpha reduced means good high quality hardening effects, too. Naturally the lack of estrogenic activity translates into low water retention and solid gains. Due to non-aromatization to estrogens, there is a lower potential for HPTA inhibition from use. This does not mean that there is none, just less to deal with post use. Remember that there are two HPTA negative feed-back loops (Please see Ultra Hot info). 4-8 weeks of continuous Max LMG administration provides good results. And yes, I do suggest the use of Ultra Hot for 4-6 weeks before repeating.

Supplement Facts:

Serving Size: 1 Capsule
Servings Per Container: 90

Amount Per Serving:

13-ethyl-3-methoxy-gona-2,5(10)-diene-17-one: 25mg

Other Ingredients:
Gelatin, Rice Powder, Magnesium Stearate.

Directions: Take one to three capsules spread evenly throughout the day preferably with meals. Do not exceed six capsules per day. Take for a maximum of eight weeks, then stop for at least 4 weeks.

Warnings: Not for use by individuals under the age of 18 years. Do not use if pregnant or nursing. Consult a physician or licensed qualified health care professional before using this product if you have, or have a family history of, prostate cancer, prostate enlargement, heart disease, low "good" cholesterol (HDL), or if you are using any other dietary supplement, prescription drug, or over-the- counter drug. Do not exceed recommended serving. Exceeding recommended serving may cause serious adverse health effects. Possible side effects include acne, hair loss, hair growth on the face (in women), aggressiveness, irritability, and increased levels of estrogen. Discontinue use and call a physician or licensed qualified health care professional immediately if you experience rapid heartbeat, dizziness, blurred vision, or other similar symptoms.

Keep out of reach of children. Store in a cool, dry place away from moisture, sunlight and excess heat. Always keep tightly sealed.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would of added a line in there about possibly testing positive in drug testing in case someone tried to do what is about to be done.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That it is but it wasn't something that couldn't be found on many other supplements of the same time frame. We're knocking the football player for not automatically assuming he'd test positive but it doesn't state anything like that on their description but it does make mention on how it doesn't fall into the banned substances.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
Guy probably has the IQ somewhere near Ronnie Coleman :\

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
That it is but it wasn't something that couldn't be found on many other supplements of the same time frame. We're knocking the football player for not automatically assuming he'd test positive but it doesn't state anything like that on their description but it does make mention on how it doesn't fall into the banned substances.
He is risking enough money every year that he should take every single supplement (including creatine, fish oil, etc.) to the NFL and make sure it is okay.

I personally won't place any blame on the company for this one. Even though they could have had that warning.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
As long as a company accurately states ingredients on a label, screw those who can't do their own homework. Warning on the label? If a company included all possible negative outcomes from taking any product, it would take sheets and sheets of paper.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
As long as a company accurately states ingredients on a label, screw those who can't do their own homework. Warning on the label? If a company included all possible negative outcomes from taking any product, it would take sheets and sheets of paper.
True, but I understand Jay's arguement because this would be directed towards the primary user. Athletes are the number 1 users of supplements. Most of which are subject to testing.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
He's responsible for taking the Max LMG w/out doing any research. Everyone knew it was a pro-hormone. I can see his point if he took say a protein product that was contaminated with PH's but that's not the case. He screwed up and he doesn't want to take responsibility which seems to be the trend in society among people in the spot light. He's just a slightly above average lead blocker anyway. It's not as if he's the missing link the Bears need to win the Super Bowl LOL.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
A lot of guys look for supps that will enchance their strength/endurance etc but will not make them test hot for banned substances. While you and I may know or expect certain things from these supplements, not everyone does. Even doctors that are very well educated still think creatine and protein are unhealthy.

Just think about that for a bit.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
A lot of guys look for supps that will enchance their strength/endurance etc but will not make them test hot for banned substances. While you and I may know or expect certain things from these supplements, not everyone does. Even doctors that are very well educated still think creatine and protein are unhealthy.

Just think about that for a bit.
J, while this is true, every NFL, MLB, etc. player is told that with every supplement they take they need to bring it to the league and ahve it tested before they consume it.

This was his responsibility in which he neglected.

...it'd be nice to hear from a rep from ALRI for a status...

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not trying to place the blame on ALRI as much as i'm trying to let people know that a lot of consumers actually do not know how a lot of these products work. Just because they are high paid doesn't mean they are getting all the proper information. This guy could be lying his ass off but i think we give these high profile people far too much credit because of their income over the average person.

RAVEN

RAVEN

ALRI
Awards
  • Established
All good points, but the problem is the ban. In 2005 we quit manufacturing all pHs because we knew there was a ban coming.. In early 2006 all tested organizations were made aware of this.. Eas to my knowledge is the only APPROVED supplement that NFL players can take.. So this gentleman made a different choice.. I am sorry he chose to take something that was not approved by the organization he chose to play for...

It all goes back to be responsible for your own actions.. I feel the same way about cigarette companies getting sued :) Why should they have to pay a dime to someones family who chose to smoke.

We pulled our entire PH line well before the ban took effect due to this kind of negativity. BTW the player tested positive for Nandrolone not Max LMG.. Just my two cents though

If you are in an organization that puts restrictions on you it is up to you to either follow the rules or pay the consequences of your actions.. Unfortunately with EAS being the only approved NFL supplement this was not the case.

I'm not trying to place the blame on ALRI as much as i'm trying to let people know that a lot of consumers actually do not know how a lot of these products work. Just because they are high paid doesn't mean they are getting all the proper information. This guy could be lying his ass off but i think we give these high profile people far too much credit because of their income over the average person.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can see your points but I don't think this is in the same line as cigarettes. Accountability needs to be there for the companies as well as freedom from frivolous lawsuits.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
All good points, but the problem is the ban. In 2005 we quit manufacturing all pHs because we knew there was a ban coming.. In early 2006 all tested organizations were made aware of this.. Eas to my knowledge is the only APPROVED supplement that NFL players can take.. So this gentleman made a different choice.. I am sorry he chose to take something that was not approved by the organization he chose to play for...

It all goes back to be responsible for your own actions.. I feel the same way about cigarette companies getting sued :) Why should they have to pay a dime to someones family who chose to smoke.

We pulled our entire PH line well before the ban took effect due to this kind of negativity. BTW the player tested positive for Nandrolone not Max LMG.. Just my two cents though

If you are in an organization that puts restrictions on you it is up to you to either follow the rules or pay the consequences of your actions.. Unfortunately with EAS being the only approved NFL supplement this was not the case.
good points.
I think he was using steroids and knew damn well, he just chose this to blame it on and hopefully he could get out of it by looking ignorant to it. Its a cop out.

RAVEN

RAVEN

ALRI
Awards
  • Established
Couldnt agree with you more... However he still chose to take a supplement that was not approved by his tested organization... Whereas I can be sympathetic on one side, but blaming us for his problems with the NFL is logical as he was given his criteria to follow by them and he evidently did not follow it.. I totally understand what you are saying and ALL companies should be accountable to a degree as all consumers should be responsbile for what they do as well,.

I can see your points but I don't think this is in the same line as cigarettes. Accountability needs to be there for the companies as well as freedom from frivolous lawsuits.

RAVEN

RAVEN

ALRI
Awards
  • Established
lol My dad use to coach college ball and even those guys are monitored pretty damn close..

good points.
I think he was using steroids and knew damn well, he just chose this to blame it on and hopefully he could get out of it by looking ignorant to it. Its a cop out.

CrzyHrse

CrzyHrse

Awards
good points.
That's exactly what I think. "I didn't take any steroids, but I bought this at the supplement store." Yeah right

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
wasn't ALRI a "responsible company" when they stopped producing it?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I think for an NFLer, he should definitely be responsible. These guys have been around supps and testing for a while. I agree with Jay, though, that not everyone knows that some of these supps could get them in trouble, such as some 18yo HS student who justed started lifting and takes a supp someone recommends to him.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established

the player tested positive for Nandrolone not Max LMG.. J
...I wonder how that nandrolone got into his sample?:blink:

RAVEN

RAVEN

ALRI
Awards
  • Established
agreed.. but my god take a look at the bod... he has to know wtf he is talking about

lol yeah coleman is actually really intelligent he just gets a bad rap cause of how he sounds

BMW

Awards
  • Established
agreed.. but my god take a look at the bod... he has to know wtf he is talking about
haha and lets see how many people hae the balls to disrespect him in his face.... i for one would **** my pants if i pissed him off!

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Right? If you have the sense to get your diet, training and gear down to a "T" like that, you have to have quite a bit of intelligence.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
What an idiot. A little word people need to learn is accountability.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
haha and lets see how many people hae the balls to disrespect him in his face.... i for one would **** my pants if i pissed him off!
dude im sure just about all of us would......but then again i would probably knock his big ass out cold before he could lift that 50lb arm.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I guess nothing ever came of this...does anybody know what exactly he tested positive for? Some reports say it was merely a banned anti-estrogen, but other claims were that that positive was from Max LMG...just wondering what LMG tested positive for...???

Chicago Bears, Brendon Ayanbadejo, Obafemi Ayanbadejo, National Football League - CBS SportsLine.com

Bears FB Ayanbadejo suspended four games

Aug. 9, 2007
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Chicago Bears fullback Obafemi Ayanbadejo said he might sue the maker of an over-the-counter supplement after the NFL suspended him for the first four regular-season games without pay for violating the league's policy on anabolic steroids and related substances on Thursday...

FrankJ

Awards
  • Established
I guess nothing ever came of this...does anybody know what exactly he tested positive for? Some reports say it was merely a banned anti-estrogen, but other claims were that that positive was from Max LMG...just wondering what LMG tested positive for...???
My guess is a deca or tren metabolite, since its in the progestin family its likely to convert to a lot of the same stuff.

When they perform a steroid test they test for abnormal levels of those metabolites also - thats how they can test for long periods of time after the drug was ingested - some of those metabolites have a really long half life.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, I assumed that it was metabolites of nandrolone, but that's merely what it was...an assumption...I guess nobody knows...

RAVEN

RAVEN

ALRI
Awards
  • Established
I would be interested as well. The last article I read was that he took responsibility for what he had done when the NFL basically made him. He only got like a 4 game suspension.. But I never heard exactly what he tested dirty for.

Yeah, I assumed that it was metabolites of nandrolone, but that's merely what it was...an assumption...I guess nobody knows...

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Some reports claimed it was a banned anti-estrogen...doesn't sound like Max LMG to me, but I believe that's what Ayanbadejo claimed he tested positive from...who knows!?!