Bonds slugs No. 756 to pass Aaron as home run king

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
SI.com - MLB - Bonds passes Aaron as baseball's home run king - Wednesday August 8, 2007 1:57AM

History maker
Bonds slugs No. 756 to pass Aaron as home run king

Posted: Tuesday August 7, 2007 11:54PM;
Updated: Wednesday August 8, 2007 2:57AM

By John Donovan, SI.com

SAN FRANCISCO -- With a mighty swing of his black maple bat, in front of a raucous and all-forgiving home crowd at AT&T Park, San Francisco Giants slugger Barry Bonds became baseball's home run king Tuesday night, crushing career homer No. 756 deep into the stands in right field to wrest the most hallowed record in sports from Hank Aaron.

Bonds, reviled by many around baseball for his role in the sport's ever-deepening steroids scandal, stood motionless for a few moments before slowly circling the bases as the crowd of more than 43,000 at AT&T Park cheered and fireworks exploded over McCovey Cove, the small inlet beyond the right field wall named for Giants great Willie McCovey. When Bonds reached home, he was greeted by his 17-year-old son, Nikolai, and swarmed by his Giants teammates.

"Thank you very much. I got to thank all of you, all the fans here in San Francisco. It's been fantastic," he said in a brief on-field ceremony.

Thus ended a long and contentious journey for the 43-year-old Bonds, in his 23rd season in the major leagues. A once-lithe and multi-talented outfielder who played the first seven seasons of his career with the Pittsburgh Pirates, Bonds has spent much of the past decade dodging charges that he used performance-enhancing drugs to transform himself into a bulky power hitter. Bonds, whose seven Most Valuable Player awards are the most of any individual in any major American sport, set the single-season record for home runs in 2001, launching 73 of them -- 24 more than he'd ever hit in a season.

Since 2000, when he turned 35 and at a time when sluggers traditionally see a sudden dropoff in their power numbers, Bonds has hit 311 home runs. That's better than 41 percent of his career total and 66 more than Aaron hit in a similar timeframe in his career. Aaron retired after the 1976 season.

A federal grand jury is investigating whether Bonds lied when he reportedly testified, in the famed BALCO steroids case, that he never knowingly took performance-enhancing drugs. Bonds' alleged drug use has been detailed, in a thorough and often painstaking manner, in the book Game of Shadows, written by two investigative reporters from the San Francisco Chronicle and excerpted in the March 13, 2006 issue of Sports Illustrated that carried this headline: The Truth.

Tuesday night, the only truth that the fans at AT&T Park recognized was that Bonds is now the new home run king. The fans in San Francisco, unlike those in other cities who have alternately booed and been wooed by the slugger's prowess, have been unflinchingly supportive throughout the slugger's travails. Bonds is practically royalty with the Giants. His late father, Bobby, played for them from 1968-74. His godfather, Hall of Famer Willie Mays, signed with the New York Giants in 1951 (they moved to Northern California before the 1958 season) and played for them for the better part of two decades.

The 76-year-old Mays, fourth on the all-time home run list behind his godson, Aaron and Babe Ruth, watched Tuesday as Bonds crunched the record-setting homer off Washington Nationals' lefthander Mike Bacsik in the fifth inning of an eventual 8-6 Nationals win. Not there to witness the moment: Baseball commissioner Bud Selig, a longtime friend of Aaron's who has been mostly silent about Bonds and his quest for the record. Selig, who has been at several recent Giants games and was present for the record-tying home run last Saturday in San Diego, was back in Milwaukee attending business. Representing Major League Baseball in his place was vice president Jimmie Lee Solomon.

But the commissioner did congratulate Bonds via a telephone call, then issued a statement. "While the issues which have swirled around this record will continue to work themselves toward resolution," Selig said, "today is a day for congratulations on a truly remarkable achievement."

Aaron, 73, wasn't at AT&T Park, either. He flatly declined to follow Bonds on this quest, citing his age, the uncertainty of when the record-breaker might come and the rigors of travel. Many around baseball suspect, though, that Aaron is disturbed by the charges of performance-enhancing drug use -- considered cheating by many in and around baseball -- that surround Bonds.

His involvement Tuesday night was limited to a recorded statement on AT&T Park's huge video board.

"It is a great accomplishment which required skill, longevity and determination," Aaron said. "Throughout the past century, the home run has held a special place in baseball and I have been privileged to hold this record for 33 of those years. I move over now and offer my best wishes to Barry and his family on this historic achievement. My hope today, as it was on that April evening in 1974, is that the achievement of this record will inspire others to chase their own dreams."

After he broke Ruth's longstanding home run record in 1974, hitting No. 715 at now-demolished Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, Aaron smacked 40 more to finish at 755, a number that stood in the record book, without question, until Tuesday. Bonds -- whose record is destined to be questioned for as long as it stands -- has nearly two more months to add to the total, and he's said that he'd like to play next year as well. His employability beyond this season, though, is in question. As good a hitter as Bonds remains -- he still is so feared that no one in the game is walked more -- he is 43 years old, he does not play the outfield well anymore and he makes more than $15 million a season.

None of that was of any particular importance Tuesday to anyone in the beautiful ballpark by the bay. With his singular left-handed stroke, Bonds became the greatest home run hitter in the grand old game's long and often scandalous history. And the city that embraces him, amid a baseball-loving nation that is torn about him, cheered its new home run king.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
HYOOOGE week for Baseball fanatics like myself....

...Bonds hits 755, Glavine throws 300th and A-Rod is the youngest to 500 by almost a year.

Then last night Bonds takes the record. Which is the biggest record on earth, in the world of sports.

But where was Selig...I hate that guy.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Barry Bonds is the greatest player of the ME generation. *

F*Aaron

F*Schilling

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Barry Bonds is the greatest player of the ME generation.

F*Aaron

F*Schilling
F Schilling...okay.

But F Aaron...what is wrong with you? He has the 2nd most homeruns in the history of baseball!!!

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established
Bonds' record is tainted - same as McGuire and Sosa. They aren't real heroes of the game like others before them. Yes they are a product of the times, but that doesn't make it right.

A-Rod's record is something to get excited about - at his current pace he stands poised to become the all-time homerun king. He is someone I can respect - he works hard on and off the field and is humble - he's always looking to improve his game.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Bonds' record is tainted - same as McGuire and Sosa. They aren't real heroes of the game like others before them. Yes they are a product of the times, but that doesn't make it right.

A-Rod's record is something to get excited about - at his current pace he stands poised to become the all-time homerun king. He is someone I can respect - he works hard on and off the field and is humble - he's always looking to improve his game.
Why are any of these records tainted?

Did they ever break a rule? Is there proof?

Steroids were not banned in baseball until the past few years. Even so, when did any of the three test positive?

AND A-ROD IS HUMBLE??? WHAT PLANET ARE YOU ON!!!???

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established
Why are any of these records tainted?

Did they ever break a rule? Is there proof?

Steroids were not banned in baseball until the past few years. Even so, when did any of the three test positive?

AND A-ROD IS HUMBLE??? WHAT PLANET ARE YOU ON!!!???

Well he seemed humble in the interview I read :lol:

Did the baseball heroes of other generations use any performance enhancing substances? McGuire has admitted to it and the book by Jose Conseco paints a pretty damning picture.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established

Did the baseball heroes of other generations use any performance enhancing substances? McGuire has admitted to it and the book by Jose Conseco paints a pretty damning picture.
I love Juiced...great book. Canseco is an ass, though. But Canseco had some choice words about A-Rod this weekend too.

A-Rod is a womanizer to the fullest extent, but it doesn't really seem like the women care much...He is also a bad teammate and doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut or open.

Baseball heroes and all atheletes of the past always used whatever they oculd to get ahead. Amphetamines, Bull testicles, anything.

zbtboy

zbtboy

Anabolic Innovations Rep
Awards
  • Established
Did the baseball heroes of other generations use any performance enhancing substances?
How can we ever know? And since we dont know i think we should just assume and put * next to every single record in baseball. If we can do it with Barry we can do it to Ruth damit! :)

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
too bad they couldnt get my testicles, they would love a drop of this anabolic juice. lol. sorry....carry on

IainDaniel

Awards

Cheating and baseball have been together for as long as the game has been played.

From the days when corked bats were used in Ruth's Era

There is even talk to Ruth using a form of Pep Pills before games

To HOF GAylord Perry, known for scuffing and using spit balls.

To George Brett and the famous Pine Tar incident.

I really don't know where I sit with the record. But I don't hold it over Barry, he is a great athlete. MLB dropped the ball.

Congrats to Barry.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Take it back to even earlier with the black sox scandal back in like 1919...

...how about the fact that ruth hit his without any black players in the league?

spunkles182

Awards

who's to say that the "real heros' didnt also use steroids. whos to say that aaron didnt use steroids? whos to say a-rod doesnt use steroids?

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
im so sick of hearing about bonds!!!
on a side note... the guy that caught the ball is being taxex 200,000 for the ball

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
on a side note... the guy that caught the ball is being taxex 200,000 for the ball
yup thats some sh1t. I mean everyone is trying to control things now days. Id be like no! im not selling it. then sell it later in a few years. Everyone just collapsed on the guy man its like a big scheme, it was already planned. I dont think its cool man i mean if someone wants to pay that much for the ball thats their fault. I woulda tried to stay under the radar. How much % was that they taxed? He also gave half to his friend who went with him to the game.

texxlnghorn

Awards
Phil Garner is on recored as saying many baseball players took "meanie greenies" amphmatines during the 70's.
Which if anybody has done reseach or has a degree in Kines. knows that amphatmines helps your reaction time.

So you know for a fact that Hank never took 1 meanie greenie, never took any type of pain meds not perscribed to him and played?

But it's OK for picthers to cheat, by altering the ball. You have pitchers that are in the Hall of Fame and admitted to cheating when pitching.

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
yup thats some sh1t. I mean everyone is trying to control things now days. Id be like no! im not selling it. then sell it later in a few years. Everyone just collapsed on the guy man its like a big scheme, it was already planned. I dont think its cool man i mean if someone wants to pay that much for the ball thats their fault. I woulda tried to stay under the radar. How much % was that they taxed? He also gave half to his friend who went with him to the game.
not sure what the percentage is taxed but the thing that amazes me is that even if he keeps it, sells it or gave it away he owes that in taxes no matter what!

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How can bonds record be taineted? He never cheated.

See what people over look here is to cheat there has to be a rule, correct?

There was no rule against useing any P.E.D. until 2005.

Barry Bonds has never tested positive for P.E.D, he did test positive for a banned ampetamine last year. Thats it.Thus nothing has been tainted.

Who knows who has tested positive for banned amphetamines, alot of pro's could have. The first offense is suppose to be kept private, his was leaked somehow, weird.

Barry Bonds is the best player who ever lived, give him some respect. The ultimate 5 tool player. If anyone was going to build a franchise around talent 99% of people would pick bonds with their first pick. That 1% beeing bud selig and people who know nothing about baseball.

I hate all this tainted crap.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Barry Bonds is the best player who ever lived, give him some respect. The ultimate 5 tool player.
... his throwing arm has always been a little weak.:rofl:

.but he was way better in the field than Ruth or Aaron.

..of course Ruth was a pretty good pitcher, but that's another story

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Ruth was the best fielder out of the three...

...But the best all around player of all time is Mays, hands down.

...A-Rod, away from Jeter and NY and back to SS, barring no major injuries, will take it away by the time he retires.

IainDaniel

Awards
How can bonds record be taineted? He never cheated.

See what people over look here is to cheat there has to be a rule, correct?

There was no rule against useing any P.E.D. until 2005.

Barry Bonds has never tested positive for P.E.D, he did test positive for a banned ampetamine last year. Thats it.Thus nothing has been tainted.

Who knows who has tested positive for banned amphetamines, alot of pro's could have. The first offense is suppose to be kept private, his was leaked somehow, weird.

Barry Bonds is the best player who ever lived, give him some respect. The ultimate 5 tool player. If anyone was going to build a franchise around talent 99% of people would pick bonds with their first pick. That 1% beeing bud selig and people who know nothing about baseball.

I hate all this tainted crap.
Because MLB ignored Steroids and reaped the benefits while there stars were shining, and sold them out when the there was no benefit to them, we should ignore that Bonds was aided in his quest of the homerun record. Baseball of all the sports is a game built around stats. Everything in the Game has a stat attached to it.

I don't blame Bonds, as big of a douce bag that he is. The system allowed for this to happen. It is disappointing to see the biggest record in baseball history go down like this. Whether or not the rule was written, it is a dark spot.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ruth was the best fielder out of the three...

...But the best all around player of all time is Mays, hands down.

...A-Rod, away from Jeter and NY and back to SS, barring no major injuries, will take it away by the time he retires.

See I like Mays but he made alot of ,what should be routine, plays look hard because he didnt get the read off the bat.

Is that a serious statement about Ruth? Hell of a pitcher I'll give you that. I always remember Peter Gammons saying how Babe Ruth has some pitching record Pedro doesnt...lol

I think A-Rod will hit close to 900 when its all said and done. He's a regular season machine, ecspecially if he goes to a team not in the race year after year, hell or with just less media the NY. Look at what he did in Texas. I always thought he was a better SS than Jeter.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Yea, I was serious about the statement. But I should have said position player.

texxlnghorn

Awards
WITH NO INJURIES, AND IF ALEX STAYS WITH THE YANKEES, HE SHOULD SHATTER THE HOME-RUN RECORD.

If alex leaves the yankees, i'd just walk him everytime.
Atleast in NY, he has hitters to protect him.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
WITH NO INJURIES, AND IF ALEX STAYS WITH THE YANKEES, HE SHOULD SHATTER THE HOME-RUN RECORD.

Bonds isn't protected, gets walked more then anyone in baseball by A LOT...

...if he leaves NY and moves to somewhere he can play SS again, he will become an all around player again.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established

Professional sports and performance enhancing drugs go together always. If you think other big sluggers like A-Rod aren't taking/haven't taken, you're not quite thinking things through logically.

No, he's not "huge", but neither are most of the guys on this site who are constantly pumping steroids (legal and illegal) into themselves.

Canseco also claims to have stuff on A-rod.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
That just makes me sick. Whether or not he even sells it, he's getting taxed. Soooo ridiculous.

IainDaniel

Awards

Don't get so ahead of yourself.

Lets assume A-rod plays till he is 40, which is impressive, and assume he averages 30 a year for those years, he will still have some work to do to catch bonds.

Don't forget Bonds had his biggest HR totals per year when he was practically 40 yo.

Tiberius

Awards
  • Established
That just makes me sick. Whether or not he even sells it, he's getting taxed. Soooo ridiculous.
That's not legal. There's no way in hell they can put a pricetag on that ball and thus no way in hell they can call it income. They may only ever legally tax him if and when he sells it, and then the tax will only be on the price he sells it for.

I call bull**** on the guy being taxed 200 grand.

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
No, its legal. That info came straight from a tax lawyer.

"Even if he does not sell the ball, Murphy would still owe the taxes based on a reasonable estimate of its value, according to John Barrie, a tax lawyer with Bryan Cave LLP in New York. Capital gains taxes also could be levied in the future as the ball gains value, he said."
College student who caught Bonds ball tells 'Today' he may not sell - MLB - Yahoo! Sports
thanks for the back up... thats what i was going to say!