Barry Bonds Mechanical Advantage

Tattooed76

Tattooed76

Awards
Barry Bonds' HR Record Tainted by Elbow 'Armor'?

By Michael Witte

Published: August 06, 2007 10:45 AM

NEW YORK (Commentary) Beyond his alleged steroid use, Barry Bonds is guilty of the use of something that confers extraordinarily unfair mechanical advantage: the “armor” that he wears on his right elbow. Amid the press frenzy over Bonds’ unnatural bulk, the true role of the object on his right arm has simply gone unnoticed.

This is unfortunate, because by my estimate, Bonds’ front arm “armor” may have contributed no fewer than 75 to 100 home runs to his already steroid-questionable total.
Bonds tied Henry Aaron’s home run record of 755 on Saturday night and will go for the new standard this week back at home in San Francisco.

As a student of baseball – and currently a mechanics consultant to a major league baseball team -- I believe I have insight into the Bonds "achievement." I have studied his swing countless times on video and examined the mechanical gear closely through photographs.

For years, sportswriters remarked that his massive "protective" gear – unequaled in all of baseball -- permits Bonds to lean over the plate without fear of being hit by a pitch. Thus situated, Bonds can handle the outside pitch (where most pitchers live) unusually well. This is unfair advantage enough, but no longer controversial. However, it is only one of at least seven (largely unexplored) advantages conferred by the apparatus.

The other six:

1) The apparatus is hinged at the elbow. It is a literal "hitting machine" that allows Bonds to release his front arm on the same plane during every swing. It largely accounts for the seemingly magical consistency of every Bonds stroke.

2) The apparatus locks at the elbow when the lead arm is fully elongated because of a small flap at the top of the bottom section that fits into a groove in the bottom of the top section. The locked arm forms a rigid front arm fulcrum that allows extraordinary, maximally efficient explosion of the levers of Bonds' wrists. Bonds hands are quicker than those of average hitters because of his mechanical "assistant."

3) When Bonds swings, the weight of the apparatus helps to seal his inner upper arm to his torso at impact. Thus "connected," he automatically hits the ball with the weight of his entire body - not just his arms - as average hitters ("extending") tend to do.

4) Bonds has performed less well in Home Run Derbies than one might expect because he has no excuse to wear a "protector" facing a batting practice pitcher. As he tires, his front arm elbow tends to lift and he swings under the ball, producing towering pop flies or topspin liners that stay in the park. When the apparatus is worn, its weight keeps his elbow down and he drives the ball with backspin.

5) Bonds enjoys quicker access to the inside pitch than average hitters because his "assistant" - counter-intuitively - allows him to turn more rapidly. Everyone understands that skaters accelerate their spins by pulling their arms into their torsos, closer to their axes of rotation. When Bonds is confronted with an inside pitch, he spins like a skater because his upper front arm is "assistant"-sealed tightly against the side of his chest.

6) At impact, Bonds has additional mass (the weight of his "assistant") not available to the average hitter. The combined weight of "assistant" and bat is probably equal to the weight of the lumber wielded by Babe Ruth but with more manageable weight distribution.

At the moment, Bonds' apparatus enjoys "grandfathered" status. Similar devices are presently denied to average
major leaguers, who must present evidence of injury before receiving an exemption.

Bonds has worn some sort of front arm protection since 1992. In '94, a one-piece forearm guard was replaced by a jointed, two piece elbow model. In ‘95 it got bigger and a small "cap" on the elbow was replaced by a "flap" that overlapped the upper piece and locked the two pieces together when the arm was elongated. In '96, the "apparatus" grew even larger and so did the "flap."

It seems to have remained relatively the same until -- interestingly— 2001, the year of his record 73 home runs, when an advanced model appeared made (apparently) of a new material. It had softer edges and a groove for the flap to slip into automatically at full arm elongation. More important, the upper half of the machine was sculpted to conform more comfortably to the contours of Bonds' upper arm. Since 2001, the apparatus seems to have remained relatively unchanged.

Several years back, baseball was rightfully scandalized by the revelation that Sammy Sosa had "corked" his bat. The advantages conferred by the Bonds "hitting machine," however, far exceed anything supplied by cork. Ultimately, it appears the Bonds "achievement” must be regarded as partly the product of “double duplicity" -- steroidal and mechanical.

Tiberius

Awards
  • Established
meh

You gonna complain about players getting eye surgery to have 20/10 vision too?

If it works, use it.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Its about big paychecks. If I was in his shoes and could get away with the same I would to. Interesting read though.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I hate stories like this.

The writer is pathetic...

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
that reporter should be dragged in the road and shot.

Arrogant

Arrogant

Awards
Using the writer's logic, everyone in the MLB should be wearing this because they too would be able to add a significant amount of homeruns by simply adding the piece of equipment.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was hoping that the article would be about how his swing mechanics are his advantage. That was one of the most outlandish and useless articles I have ever read.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I was hoping that the article would be about how his swing mechanics are his advantage. That was one of the most outlandish and useless articles I have ever read.
The thing I have always loved about bonds has been his swing and his batspeed...It is perfect for hitting homers.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The thing I have always loved about bonds has been his swing and his batspeed...It is perfect for hitting homers.
He is also a great contact hitter. I don't know how many times I have had to point out that steroids don't win batting titles.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
He is also a great contact hitter. I don't know how many times I have had to point out that steroids don't win batting titles.
I agree with the hand eye coordination factor. As well as his eye for pitches...I mean how many UN-intential walks does the man have?

He knows when to swing and how to swing...those are things steroids won't bring you.

IainDaniel

Awards
He only won 2 batting titles :p

A little food for thought Take a look at his stats. In the decline of his career he was putting up greater numbers then he ever produced

Take a look at his stats pre 2000 and post 2000 quite a remarable difference

Pre 2000 Avg HR per Season 32
Post 2000 Avg HR per Season 52

Pre OB% 407
Post OB% 535

Pre Slug% 561
Post Slug% 611

Pre Bat avg .288
Post Bat avg .341

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established

A little food for thought Take a look at his stats. In the decline of his career he was putting up greater numbers then he ever produced

Pre OB% 407
Post OB% 535

Pre Slug% 561
Post Slug% 611

Pre Bat avg .288
Post Bat avg .341
Maybe it wasn't the decline of his career. Different people peak at different ages. Clemens, Randy J,... had some of their best years at 35+.

It's a dumb article. Everyone just likes ****ting on Bonds right now for doing something that everyone was doing in that era.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Another thing to look at is the overall increase in runs and ERA. There have been very few dominant pitchers that have come along lately and most of them are in the AL. I think Jake Peavy, Brad Penny, and Roy Oswalt are the only pitchres to come along in the NL that can be called true aces.

Tattooed76

Tattooed76

Awards
I only posted this to show how writers have now reached the point of trying to find anything to attack him regarding his home runs. I have honestly given up on the idea of someone in baseball accomplishing something without questions pertaining to how they acheived their stats.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Bonds also wears cleats with higher than average heels, allowing his body to pivot faster than other hitters!

oh, and he wears medium boxer briefs even though he's an XL, which allows his midsection to stay rigid and explode out during impact with the ball!!!!!

ridiculous!

Reporters won't be happy until Bonds is crucified on the pitchers mound during next year's home opener.

Tattooed76

Tattooed76

Awards
The question I have is if all of the reporters are able to crucify players like Bonds who is next and will we ever be able to enjoy something like a record home run year again without the players being subject to question. Is this how baseball is going to be from now on?

Last edited:
Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
i wish the average public realized exactly how many pro athletes have used AAS in the past.

Tattooed76

Tattooed76

Awards
I agree. One of the most exciting times in baseball I remember was the home run derby between Sosa and McGwire. I was watching every game of those two that I could that year.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
even before roids, athletes used some crazy things to get ahead...

...i've heard stories of ruth chewing on bull testicles....

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I agree. One of the most exciting times in baseball I remember was the home run derby between Sosa and McGwire. I was watching every game of those two that I could that year.
Yep, that was a magical year. Honestly, I hardly follow baseball anymore.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Bonds also has the unfair advantage of "major league genetics", his dad Bobby Bonds was one his generations top all around players, and had an unfair coaching advantage by a "Hall of Famer", as he grew up playing catch will Willie Mays.

Sports especially baseball is a game scenario that is based on numbers. Why do so many people care about these numbers or how they are achieved or who achieves them is beyond me.

Go Barry*

F* the world !

IainDaniel

Awards
Maybe it wasn't the decline of his career. Different people peak at different ages. Clemens, Randy J,... had some of their best years at 35+.

It's a dumb article. Everyone just likes ****ting on Bonds right now for doing something that everyone was doing in that era.

Sorry but I find that a little far fetched.

Clemens and Randy Johnson never had a dramatic improvement post 35 yo. And comparing a Pitchers stats which is largely determined by the team that surrounds them, to an individual stat is hardly apples and apples.

I am not undermining Barry's accomplishments, no doubt he is an outstanding athlete, and steroids don't create that. But is foolish to think they don't enhance it.

zbtboy

zbtboy

Anabolic Innovations Rep
Awards
  • Established
Bonds also wears cleats with higher than average heels, allowing his body to pivot faster than other hitters!

oh, and he wears medium boxer briefs even though he's an XL, which allows his midsection to stay rigid and explode out during impact with the ball!!!!!

ridiculous!

Reporters won't be happy until Bonds is crucified on the pitchers mound during next year's home opener.
the use of "boxer briefs", "rigid", and "explode" in one sentence should not be used in a discussion about baseball. :blink:

:D

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
the use of "boxer briefs", "rigid", and "explode" in one sentence should not be used in a discussion about baseball. :blink:

:D

LOL....the test booster I'm on is likely to blame for the subliminal sex messages:type:

Tiberius

Awards
  • Established
The question I have is if all of the reporters are able to crucify players like Bonds who is next and will we ever be able to enjoy something like a record home run year again without the players being subject to question. Is this how baseball is going to be from now on?

They crucify Bonds because as a person, Bonds is a royal dickhead.

He's a jerk, and people don't like it when jerks break records. They want nice guys to break records. Very few complained when Mark MacGuire broke the single season HR record. Why? Because Mark MacGuire is one of the nicest people ever to play the game. Heck, the guy turned down tens of millions of dollars offered by other teams because "he likes the people of St. Louis." What kind of player thinks that way anymore??

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sorry but I find that a little far fetched.

Clemens and Randy Johnson never had a dramatic improvement post 35 yo. And comparing a Pitchers stats which is largely determined by the team that surrounds them, to an individual stat is hardly apples and apples.

I am not undermining Barry's accomplishments, no doubt he is an outstanding athlete, and steroids don't create that. But is foolish to think they don't enhance it.
I'm not saying steroids didn't have any effect, but I think in general too much credit is given to them. I was saying that different training methods/preparation could also be responsible for an athlete's peak coming later. Or it could just be an individual thing. My examples were poor because I really don't watch baseball anymore and to be fair maybe shouldn't have posted in a baseball thread.

I can definitely think of some great MMA examples of later peaking athletes, though.....

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not saying steroids didn't have any effect, but I think in general too much credit is given to them. I was saying that different training methods/preparation could also be responsible for an athlete's peak coming later. Or it could just be an individual thing. My examples were poor because I really don't watch baseball anymore and to be fair maybe shouldn't have posted in a baseball thread.

I can definitely think of some great MMA examples of later peaking athletes, though.....
Who is to say that Randy has even peaked yet...

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I seen some dude named mancow on the news today crying about bonds. Dude was seriously angry.lol

IainDaniel

Awards

Pre OB% 407
Post OB% 535

Pre Slug% 561
Post Slug% 611

Pre Bat avg .288
Post Bat avg .341
A little more food for thought.

His stats post the MLB steroid testing Policy

2005 ( he only played 14 games this season)

HR - 5
OB% - .404
Slug% - .667
Bat Avg. - .286

HR - 26
OB% - .454.
Slug % - .545
Bat Avg. - .270

HR - 23
OB% - .496
Slug % - .580
Bat Avg. - .279

Tiberius

Awards
  • Established
Steroids DO increase reaction time, focus, and hand eye coordination. In times of stress and need, the body will produce more testosterone in order to get the increased focus and reaction time necessary to act in the best way possible.

So yes, steroids can make you HIT a baseball, period. They don't just help you hit it further, and they don't just help you recover faster.

texxlnghorn

Awards
I agree it's advantage, but not like the article says.
Yea, you don't have to be afraid of getting hit by a 95mph fast ball on the arm.

The first few years Bagwell got hit every-year on his hand and miss many games.
Then the team made a special padding for his hand, never had a broken hand again.

If i was playing baseball I would be in full armor.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Stress etc will increases adrenaline to increase focus etc. Test isn't going to have that kind of instant effect.