NFL Legend passes away

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I'm sure many of you have heard the bad news about the passing of Bill Walsh. The man was credited for building the 49ers from a bottom dweller into the NFL's dominant franchise in the 80's, an era that also had many other great teams like the Redskins, Giants, Bears, and even the Vikings, Eagles, and Rams for a good chunk of the 80's.

The guy was known as "The Genius" but he had other important accomplishments besides his football track record. Walsh initiated the Black Coaches Summer Program at the 49ers training camp, inviting college coaches not only to observe how Walsh ran things, but to let them coach his players. The program later was adopted league wide. Current NFL head coaches Herman Edwards, Lovie Smith and Marvin Lewis went through Walsh's program.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
The father of today's aerial blend versus the days of ground muscle, turning third down into a attacking down instead of a LOS wrestling match.

Doubt there will ever be another so influential, R.I.P. Bill. :djparty:

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
The father of today's aerial blend versus the days of ground muscle, turning third down into a attacking down instead of a LOS wrestling match.

Doubt there will ever be another so influential, R.I.P. Bill. :djparty:
49ers owner John York is working with Arnold to have a day of observance for Bill because he did a lot outside of football. It would be cool to see him get honored because the 49ers were nothing w/out him.

Many don't realize that he called the plays and was the GM of the 49ers throughout his tenure. He also set them up for the future in the 90's by having the vision to trade for Steve Young and help him develop in the early part of his career. The 49ers wouldn't have been as dominant w/out Steve Young in the 90's.

When he came back in the late 90's the 49ers had a brief resurgence with play-off appearances in 2001 & 2002. The guy even got a MS in Kinesiology and his thesis was on proper throwing mechanics in football. I got my MS from San Jose State like Mr. Walsh and he has plenty of pics in the school's Kinesiology building. Okay, I think I've said too much :)

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I was shocked, Iron. Just shocked.

A sad day for the NFL, period.

This guy was way ahead of his time. Brought the 49ers out of the doldrums.
Invented scripting the first 15 plays.

Just a genius.

RIP Bill. You will definitely be missed a lot by all of us Niner fans.