CED59: NCAA Football 07-08 Preseason/Summer Poll

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
feel free to scream at me in a respectful matter.

#1 University of Southern California
(+)John David Booty is a top heisman candidate after throwing 25TDs in 2006. Best Linebacking corps in the nation Cushing10, Maualuga58, Rivers55. Lawerence Jackson96 DE is a potential top 10 pick. A healthy SC secondary is considered the best and toughest in the nation. 4 starters return on the offensive line. Depth at every position.

(-)SC will need to replace 2 impact recievers, Dwayne Jarrett and Steve Smith. Patrick Turner 6-5 and Vidal Hazelton 4.32speed look to do so. Leadership and experience of starter Dallas Sartz (LB) and Oscar Lua (LB) will need to be replaced if the defense can live up to the hype.

(?)Young trio of runningbacks make Southern Cal's backfield the 2nd deepest in the nation (see Arkansas) but there is no clear cut starter. Fullback Stanley Havili and freshman Marc Tyler look promising, but there might still be a void for the power rusher that SC has lacked since the departure of LenDale White.
projected finish (#1)

#2 Michigan
Henne, Hart, Manningham all return to face a very weak Big10 schedule and Notre Dame. The Defense will need to replace Lamar Woodley and Leon Hall (who is trash). The offensive line is very strong and will beat up on any Big10 line that faces them head on. Henne will throw vertical and Hart will direct the pace. If Lloyd Carr can't get to the BCS Championship this year - he never EVER will. projected finish (#2)

#3 West Virginia
West Virginia is a legit top 8 team this year. White and Slaton will both need to stay healthy however. Fullback Owen Schmitt can bang out short yardage The defense finished 62nd in the nation but returns 7 starters (I don't know if that's good thing?). Either way, with White-Slaton and laughable Big East schedule - The Mountaineers will be in the race until they choke in November. projected finish (mid-top 10)

#4 Louisiana State
LSU is actually better this year. JaMarcus Russell's departure is insignifcant. The biggest loses were Laron Landry (S) and Jessie Daniels (CB) who anchored one of the most scary defenses in the nation. LSU will need to replace wideouts Bowe and Craig Davis, but that more than enough talent to do so. 4 Starters return on the offensive line. A tough SEC schedule and deadbeat coach (Les Miles) will doom these Tigers again. projected finish (top 5)

#5 Viriginia Tech
VA Tech will play their hearts out this year. 16 Returning starters make the Hokies the top team in the ACC. Time of possession will be the Hokie Bird's best friend. If Ore and company can move the chains, the Tech defense can prevent big plays - the sky is the limit for this team. Eddie Royal is an X-factor on special teams. Sean Glennon 11tds-8ints will need to throw at least 15tds for the Hokies to stay in the top 5. Hokies sadly drop a November game or ACC Championship but it is a great run. Projected Finish (mid-top 10)

#6 Texas Yoke
Colt McCoy is Butters from South Park but he can also play QB pretty well. Texas was nearly unstoppable with McCoy, but lost back-to-back games without him. Limas Sweed is the best reciever in the Lone-Star state since Roy Williams. Only 6 returning starters on offense and only 6 returning starters on defense. Texas will look unbeatable but then randomly fall apart late in games. Another 3 loss season (Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Oklahoma St.) and a bottle of Jack Daniels follows the immortal Mack Brown home. Projected Finish (bottom-top 10)

#7 Louisville
Louisville starts in the top 10, but the loss of Bobby Petrino is too much to overcome just a year removed. Brohm will have an outstanding year and has 2 great wideouts to throw to. Michael Bush and Kolby Smith will be missed. This is a pass heavy offense that will eat up most of the trash in the Big East. Louisville will lose at Kentucky and at West Virginia. Projected finish (non-top 10)

#8 Florida Gators
The same system, with a ton of new players. The offense will suprise if Tebow can learn on the fly and avoid contact and steroids. Percy Harvin is the most exciting player in the nation. The defense will lack experience and leadership. Gators will fnish just outside of the top 10, but will look great late in the season. There is plenty to be optimistic about in the swamp again. Projected Finish (Near-top 10)

#9 California
Cal is thinking PAC-10 title, after all they have USC in Berkeley this year. Justin Forsett will replace Marshawn Money Lynch, but the little back will ultimately wear down. Nate Longshore is a goof. I don't doubt DeShaun Jackson's playmaking ability on special teams but he is more like Ted Ginn on the offensive side of the ball. The defense looses 6 starters, which won't matter against most of the PAC-10 but it means a thrashing at the hands of John David Booty. Projected Finish (Near-top 10).

#10 Oklahoma
16 Starters return. Unfortunately Adrian Peterson is not one. Still the Sooners will finish in the top 10. Stoops will outcoach Mack Brown and secure OU has the best team in the Big12. The team will shake off the weird Boise Game. No Worries. If the Sooners can get consistent, not necessarily great, play at quarterback this team could be top 5. Projected Finish (Mid/Bottom Top 10)

#11 Wisconsin
#12 Texas A&M (projected top 10 finish)
#13 Nebraska
#14 Auburn
#15 Penn State
#16 Ohio State
#17 Tennesee (projected top 10 finish)
#18 Boston College (very good team)
#19 Clemson (lots of talent)
#20 TCU (Projected top 5 finish?????)
#21 Hawai'i/Colt Brennan
#22 Georgia (same old crap)
#23 Rutgers
#24 Boise State
#25 Notre Dame (Will be out of the top 25 after week 2)

others
Miami Hurricanes (struggle early, but finish top 20.. the U is back?)
Florida State Seminoles (struggle early, struggle late)
Arizona State (USC really should watch out)
Oklahoma State (Sick Offense, top 15 finish)
Kentucky (SEC Sleeper)
Wake Forest (No thanks)
Missouri (Good team, but Big12 is too strong)
Temple Owls (Poised to lose all their games :sick:)
Oregon (nice uniforms, average program)
fUCLA (UCLA is a basketball school, sort of)
Alabama (Top 25 finish)
South Carolina (not this year, looks promising though)

Last edited:
jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Better catch the train now, CED. We beez pullin' out the station.

As far as your poll:
I'm leaning more and more towards Cal winning the Pac10. I think they'll gain a TON of confidence when they beat Tennessee at home.
Plus - I've got this feeling this is the year they finally break through against the juggernaut (ala the Bulls over the Pistons in '91).

I say Wisky wins the Big10.
UMich just craps their pants Larry Coker style in too many big games. They play UW at UW - so Jump Around will be in the hizzy.

VaTech doesn't have the offense. I don't see them winning the ACC.
Yeah, yeah - emotion this emotion that.
We saw a HUGE wave of emotion at Blacksburg in 2005 that didn't mean sh*t. Miami beat the living hell out of them.

Not sure who wins the ACC at this point. Not sure Miami can make that leap. Though - we lost a LOT of really close games in conference and have a real HC and OC (the guy that lead GaTech to the ACC title game with retard Reggie Ball at QB) now.

Clemson may be the team to watch. One of the best 3 backfield's in the US with Spiller and Davis. But a new QB - maybe highly touted Willie Korn?? Lost a bit on D - had trouble towards the end of last season.
I'll have to read up more on them though.

I'm thinking more and more this is the year WVU makes it to the BCS (Sugar). Their schedule "looks" good enough on paper that if they run the table - I think they vault every other one loss team.

I'm not sure if the Red River winner will win out though. That team would end up in the Sugar over WVU.

NO WAY Tennessee finishes top 20. No WR's - best RB (LaMarcus Coker) is in Fat Phil's doghouse. And the D lost a lot - not as much as FLA but still significant (esp. up front against the run).

No way the Gates finish that high. 10th is a stretch.

SEC champ - a shocker - South Carolina.

Of course - subject to revision by the honorable Jmh80 as the summer progresses.
Good to see ya back CED. Can't wait for CFB '07. :woohoo:

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
yeah mang, good to see you too.

VaTech doesn't have the offense. I don't see them winning the ACC.
Yeah, yeah - emotion this emotion that.
We saw a HUGE wave of emotion at Blacksburg in 2005 that didn't mean sh*t. Miami beat the living hell out of them.
I don't think VA Tech needs to carry the emotion all year. Just for a handful of games - nor do they need to go undefeated to win the ACC obviously. I just think the defense is solid enough to keep every game close and they will make a few plays to win rather than lose.

Since we both agree the ACC is up for grabs, I'll take Virginia Tech or Boston College. Neither team has to be perfect, they just need to score more points than their ACC opponent on any given Saturday, more often than not. (you feel me? haha). Matt Ryan is a leader (BC) and The Tech Defense can make plays.

Virginia Tech is as good as they have been in some time. The offense under Marcus Vick were completely overrated, now they play as a team (somewhat).

As for emotion, it is huge in college football.. and we both know it. Rutgers, Boise, UCLA, etc. etc. And wounded VT Tech beat Clemson last year on emotion. VT Tech won't have to see a Raw Miami team nor a intimidating FSU team.

come to think of it, this is who they will see:

Sat, Sep. 1, 2007 East Carolina Noon ESPN2 Blacksburg, Va.
Sat, Sep. 8, 2007 at LSu 9:15PM ESPN Baton Rouge, La.
Sat, Sep. 15, 2007 Ohio 1:30 PM ESPN360 Blacksburg, Va.
Sat, Sep. 22, 2007 William & Mary TBA Blacksburg, Va.
Sat, Sep. 29, 2007 North Carolina * TBA Blacksburg, Va.
Sat, Oct. 6, 2007 at Clemson * TBA Clemson, S.C.
Sat, Oct. 13, 2007 at Duke * TBA Durham, N.C.
Thu, Oct. 25, 2007 Boston College * 7:30 PM ESPN (national) Blacksburg, Va.
Thu, Nov. 1, 2007 at Georgia Tech * 7:30 PM ESPN (national) Atlanta, Ga.
Sat, Nov. 10, 2007 Florida State * TBA Blacksburg, Va.
Sat, Nov. 17, 2007 Miami * TBA Blacksburg, Va.
Sat, Nov. 24, 2007 at Virginia * TBA Charlottesville, Va.
Sat, Dec. 1, 2007 at ACC Championship 1 PM ABC (national) Jacksonville, Fla.

wow it's pretty tough, and i concede tougher than I thought, but I have faith. They need to be healthy in late October to make it work. Ouch, Saturday Night in Death Valley week 2. The entire nation will be pulling for them - they can do it, LSU will not have found it's stride by week 2 and Beamer will outcoach Miles.

:donut: walking doughnut

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
WOOO PIG SOOIE

I can't see pig finishing in the top 25. The program is on the verge of destruction. This will be the last year for Houston Nutt.

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
HOOK EM Bytches

lol every year i go thru critisicm for supporting my horns. i took the most shots the year we wont the title all yr long everyone talked **** to me. then magically everyone vanished lol

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
yeah mang, good to see you too.

wow it's pretty tough, and i concede tougher than I thought, but I have faith. They need to be healthy in late October to make it work. Ouch, Saturday Night in Death Valley week 2. The entire nation will be pulling for them - they can do it, LSU will not have found it's stride by week 2 and Beamer will outcoach Miles.
I really think they'll beat LSU down here. I've not said that at work with the 5 million LSU fans I work with - I'll wait till closer to kick off to spring that one. :thumbsup:

LSU has horrible special teams - VT doesn't. I think this tips the game to VT's favor.

Miami plays OU that morning (noon kickoff). Should be a great day of CFB.

Just saw they play FSU and then us back to back - but both at home. Could be a touch stretch. Not sure how either team will be this year.
UM is definitely headed in the right direction though. I doubt FSU is until Bowden dies (realistically - he ain't stepping down).

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
lol every year i go thru critisicm for supporting my horns. i took the most shots the year we wont the title all yr long everyone talked **** to me. then magically everyone vanished lol
English? :nono:

V

vball5leu

Awards
USC trojans are going to win the National Championship this year!!

A

AFOX

Awards
I like that you have the Huskers at 13. We play some very good teams( USC, Texas),but Callahan has upgraded our talent big time. Our new QB Sam Keller will not be intimated when USC comes to Lincoln. While at ASU he threw for big yards against them. We now have a bunch of recivers and an solid O-line. But we have to improve in the secondary, or we will go 0-4 against top 10 teams again.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I like that you have the Huskers at 13. We play some very good teams( USC, Texas),but Callahan has upgraded our talent big time. Our new QB Sam Keller will not be intimated when USC comes to Lincoln. While at ASU he threw for big yards against them. We now have a bunch of recivers and an solid O-line. But we have to improve in the secondary, or we will go 0-4 against top 10 teams again.
Thanks,
Keller is good and I agree the team definitely has talent. Callahan coached like scared little boy last year against USC. He didn't even give Zac Taylor a chance to do anything... he'll have to be more aggressive if they stand any chance this year against Southern Cal.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
They do get you guys at home, CED. I think that will help Calahan. Seemed like he was just too conservative to protect his QB (Miles does that at LSU quite a bit).

Agreed Keller should have a big game. Remains to be seen if Neb. can stop SC.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I don't really think Keller 'should' have a big game. I mean, he might or could. USC's defense is the best in the country at nearly every level. Keller hasn't faced anything close to this, even at Arizona State when they played USC. It's his first big game with Nebraska and their very average wideouts.

Keller will probably be good, just later in the year methinks

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
pretty solid analysis IMO. michigan as #2 is a prayer though. they will fall to wisconsin. TCU could very well end up like boise state last year going undefeated. i am confident USC will dominate. i think they will face the winner of the big 12 or possibly big 10. maybe, just maybe, A & M can pull it off.

i also think south carolina and georgia can be sleepers. georgia is overrated every year and it pisses me off, but i like how they reversed last seasons devastation and gained lots of momentum. they can build off that.

V tech looks damn good and i think theyll get their offense rolling again. D isnt a problem for them. LSU will be a great team but the SEC is extremely competitive. lots of speed on both sides of the ball.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Thanks mang, I would rather have put LSU or Texas as #2 but I just can't. Both teams lost too many starters. Here is the Michigan schedule. The hardest game is at Camp Randall on November 10th. To me, this schedule is easier than USC's by a sizable margin. All the tough games are at home, minus Wisconsin. Michigan is just too ****1ng big on the line to get beat by the slothful defenses in the big ten. Hart is going to get 120 against every team.

Michigan Schedule

Sept. 1, 2007 Appalachian St. TBA
Sept. 8, 2007 Oregon TBA
Sept. 15, 2007 Notre Dame 3:30 pm ET
Sept. 22, 2007 Penn State TBA
Sept. 29, 2007 at Northwestern TBA
Oct. 6, 2007 Eastern Michigan TBA
Oct. 13, 2007 Purdue 12:00 pm ET
Oct. 20, 2007 at Illinois 8:00 pm ET
Oct. 27, 2007 Minnesota TBA
Nov. 3, 2007 at Michigan State TBA
Nov. 10, 2007 at Wisconsin TBA
Nov. 17, 2007 Ohio State TBA

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Georgia Bulldogs

Sept. 1, 2007 OK State (ESPN2) 6:45 pm ET
Sept. 8, 2007 South Carolina (ESPN2) 5:45 pm ET
Sept. 15, 2007 Western Carolina TBA
Sept. 22, 2007 at Alabama TBA
Sept. 29, 2007 Ole Miss TBA
Oct. 6, 2007 at Tennessee TBA
Oct. 13, 2007 at Vanderbilt TBA
Oct. 27, 2007 at Florida1 TBA
Nov. 3, 2007 Troy TBA
Nov. 10, 2007 Auburn TBA
Nov. 17, 2007 Kentucky TBA
Nov. 24, 2007 at Georgia Tech TBA
1 in Jacksonville

Familar faces are back at UGA, but the depth chart has been shaken up a bit. Once heralded as Barry Sanders, Thomas Brown now backs up Kregg Lumpkin. Staffords' recievers are Sean Bailey and some kid who is 5-10 145lbs. Stafford gained about 30lbs at looks really fat. Apparently they have a great recruiting class coming in though, I'm not exactly sure how Mark Richt still sells the Georgia program.

the schedule is crazy hard for what Georgia can and can't do, and for what Georgia can and can't stop. Oklahoma State comes to Athens week 1, the Cowboy offense won't miss a beat from last year. Subject to change, Oklahoma State 34 Georgia 16 (An Upset, if you wish to call it such).

A

AFOX

Awards
I don't really think Keller 'should' have a big game. I mean, he might or could. USC's defense is the best in the country at nearly every level. Keller hasn't faced anything close to this, even at Arizona State when they played USC. It's his first big game with Nebraska and their very average wideouts.

Keller will probably be good, just later in the year methinks
I'm very imressed about your knowledge of college football. I would be shocked if the Huskers pull off an upset. However, our wideouts are a much improved bunch. Callahan has brought in tall and speedy guys, that fit in well in the WCO. Our big question mark will be Maurice Purify, who has gotton into some trouble. Keller will have a much easier time than Zac Taylor, because he will have more protection. Also watch out for Marlon Lucky at running back. This will be his break out year.
You are right about Okie State. They have a very potent offense, and will be the darkhorse in the Big 12. Our schedule scares me. USC,Wake Forest,Texas, OK state, Texas AM and at Missouri

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Disagree on Michigan.

Let the record show that CED is relying on Lloyd "Stench of Larry Coker" Carr to lead a team to the BCS title game.

Wisky beats them at Camp Randall. They return a very good D - I think all but 2 starters are back (LB and someone in the secondary).
They had a top 5 pass D last year from what I remember. I think someone related to Cris Carter is going to be playing at FS this year. Sounded like a hoss from the blip I read on him.

Plus, don't discount the "Jump Around" effect.

Disagree on the VaTech offense. The QB isn't that great (Sean Glennon). Sorry. I know they have Brandon Ore - but I think they need to be able to pass the ball somewhat effectively to win big in the ACC.
At best, he doesn't lose them games on O and they make it to Jacksonville for the ACC title game.
Maybe Glennon turns it around. I'm thinking he's a Kyle Wright - hopeless.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Disagree on Michigan.

Let the record show that CED is relying on Lloyd "Stench of Larry Coker" Carr to lead a team to the BCS title game.

Wisky beats them at Camp Randall. They return a very good D - I think all but 2 starters are back (LB and someone in the secondary).
They had a top 5 pass D last year from what I remember. I think someone related to Cris Carter is going to be playing at FS this year. Sounded like a hoss from the blip I read on him.

Plus, don't discount the "Jump Around" effect.

Disagree on the VaTech offense. The QB isn't that great (Sean Glennon). Sorry. I know they have Brandon Ore - but I think they need to be able to pass the ball somewhat effectively to win big in the ACC.
At best, he doesn't lose them games on O and they make it to Jacksonville for the ACC title game.
Maybe Glennon turns it around. I'm thinking he's a Kyle Wright - hopeless.
haha you always draw parallels and analogies to your Hurricanes.

Back to Michigan, I'll be the first to say that Lloyd Carr is a bum - even a complete joke too. But consider also that they were #2 when they met Ohio State in Columbus last year. Hence, they were also 1 loss away from playing in the national title game. Much of the nation felt they earned that rematch too.

Assuming that they win all their games this year, minus Wisconsin, that still makes them a 1 loss team. My point is, their schedule is so easy that in my eyes - the only way they don't get to the national title game is a loss to Wisconsin. I would hardly put my money on Wisconsin either on any given weekend.

If all that stands in Michigan's way is Wisconsin... You would have to assume Michigan will be in the championship.

Michigan has to really 'get up' for about 2.5 games this year. They have to beat Wisconsin on the road, obviously beat the Buckeyes and just consistently move the chains against Penn State and let Morelli throw picks.

Honestly, if Wisconsin is the only real matchup this year for Michigan... I would say that the Wolverines are the odds on favorite to play (not win) the national title game.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks,
Keller is good and I agree the team definitely has talent. Callahan coached like scared little boy last year against USC. He didn't even give Zac Taylor a chance to do anything... he'll have to be more aggressive if they stand any chance this year against Southern Cal.
I agree that Callahan was too tight with his offensive play calling. I think that, although he wasn't worth a damn in the NFL, he has been a good college coach. Plus after being in the hectic, pressure filled, and daunting NFL I really don't see how he would be scared to scheme in college against anyone. JMO

I think Nebraska is getting better, but will need some help from the football gods to beat USC. However, they are good enough to give the Trojans a good challenge that's just as potent as any team in the PAC-10 imo.

For you Husker fans I am happy to see you guys getting some of the glory of your past back. But I really don't see how you guys can get back to the elite powerhouses of CF. Reason being that although you get the top talent out of Nebraska. As long as Texas, Oklahoma, and now A&M who is back on the rise are doing well, you guys will have a hard time getting any of the top recruits from Texas and surrounding areas. Which is where the best potential talent is located.

What sucks for my Horns is they will be that much more of a challenge to us after playing USC earlier in the season.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Michigan, like all of the other "powerhouse" programs are for the most part ranked higher than they should be. I am not saying that Mich is not a number two team they are returning their QB, RB, and one of their top WR. Not sure how stout the defense is, but the return of those key players in those leadership and important roles will certainly help them. And you add in the most important part of the offense the "O-Line" which is also returning most of the players then they should be one of the top "O's" in CF. If their "D' from last year can at least stay consistent in the big games, they deserve to be ranked #2.

IMO if the Gators have good talent like they should, they will be very good, and very hard to beat as long as they have that coach of theirs. I would put either Texas, Florida, or LSU as #2 in front of Mich. Just see those teams as being better as far as talent and potential.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Still gotta give #2 to Michigan, in my opinion, too many question marks at Texas, LSU, and Florida. I guess with Michigan, you sort of know what you are getting. We can crap on Lloyd Carr all day - and rightfully so. But had they beaten Ohio State (granted the game was closer than it should have been) they would have been undefeated at probably played Florida in the championship.

A

AFOX

Awards
I agree that Callahan was too tight with his offensive play calling. I think that, although he wasn't worth a damn in the NFL, he has been a good college coach. Plus after being in the hectic, pressure filled, and daunting NFL I really don't see how he would be scared to scheme in college against anyone. JMO

I think Nebraska is getting better, but will need some help from the football gods to beat USC. However, they are good enough to give the Trojans a good challenge that's just as potent as any team in the PAC-10 imo.

For you Husker fans I am happy to see you guys getting some of the glory of your past back. But I really don't see how you guys can get back to the elite powerhouses of CF. Reason being that although you get the top talent out of Nebraska. As long as Texas, Oklahoma, and now A&M who is back on the rise are doing well, you guys will have a hard time getting any of the top recruits from Texas and surrounding areas. Which is where the best potential talent is located.

What sucks for my Horns is they will be that much more of a challenge to us after playing USC earlier in the season.
That is where you are wrong about our recruting. Callahan is getting talent from all over the country. We have many kids fromTexas,California, Arizona and a couple from Florida. We have never relied only on Nebraska kids . We even stole a 5 star recruit from USC ( Marlon Lucky).Our classes have been ranked very high since callahan has been here. That is why Frank Solich was fired, because he could not lure kids from the big states. So far for 2008 we have the number one recruits from the states of Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska and Colorado. Our facilitys, tradition and fan support are excellent. We will be back to the top very soon. I just wish we had not given you guys the game last year. I was sick to my stomach for days after that one.

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
way too many marks at Texas, Im a true die hard fan, But im realistic, we lost alot of starters but our upcoming underclassman have alot of talent and "experts" say the new class has more talent then VY's class on the 05 title team. Still I see maybe 2 losses this yr, I honestly didnt think we would beat the gooners last yr , But this yr I think gooners and huskers are gonna cause issues

We still have Colt and In Colt and Sweed we trust :)

although regardless, Notre shame sucks as always and forever and can stay out of the top 25 for me to be happy :)

hurry up august

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I'll say this again this year - RECRUITING RANKINGS DO NOT MEAN SH*T ON THE FIELD!!!!

Miami is full of 4 and 5 star guys - but we've been God awful the last few years.

CED,
I do agree with that post you made early this AM. I honestly can not fault Mich at #2 in the pre-season.

I just do NOT see them going undefeated. I think they lose to Wisky.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Tennessee @ California Week 1

Last Year:
Tennessee 35 California 18
(could have been worse too)
3rd Quarter: Tennessee 35 California 0

Tennessee 41rushes-216yards
Ainge (Tenn) 11-17-291 4TDs
Nate Longshore (Cal) 11-20-85 1Int (benched)

JHM80, tell me why you are so sure that Cal wins this time around.

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
because its Tenn :) and the sec bites **** :D

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Tennessee @ California Week 1

Last Year:
Tennessee 35 California 18
(could have been worse too)
3rd Quarter: Tennessee 35 California 0

Tennessee 41rushes-216yards
Ainge (Tenn) 11-17-291 4TDs
Nate Longshore (Cal) 11-20-85 1Int (benched)

JHM80, tell me why you are so sure that Cal wins this time around.
CED - I was at that game in person in Neyland.

I KNOW what happened.

Here's the thing - UT ain't got no ones at WR. Lost their top 3 WR's - the guys left have under a combined 50 catches.
Their best RB - LaMarcus Coker is in Fulmer's dog house (else they would have beaten Penn State in the bowl game).
They lost their best DL in Justin Harrell. I do not see anyone adequate early on in the season to stuff the run. They are really young at LB.
They just aren't that good in the secondary - honestly (lost 3 starters).

Plus - they lost 2 guys on the OL. Not exactly sure where - but Aaron Sears was a good OL for them.

I just don't see enough weapons around Ainge for him to have a successful season.

(Thanks to my Vol buddies for all that info - would not know it at this point without the detailed spring game run-down they gave me recently.)

As far as Cal - they have DeShawn, Forsett, and Longshore will be playing at home.
He was more affected by the Neyland crowd than anything. You could see it in his eyes postgame.
He's a good QB. He'll do fine at home.

Plus - Fulmer doesn't put good punt/kickoff coverage teams out there. DeShawn breaks at least one kick return to the house.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
fair enough, that's a good argument.

I'm not really sure that Cal got better though. I guess that's what the season is for. I'm just not a Jackson fan - and I'm not overly bias on this because he turned down SC. He's Ted Ginn to me, strictly a special teams guy against real competition. With that said, he could very well score on Tennessee.

As for the mindset of California, they can't play not to lose. Tedford hyped last years game up so much (apparently played that annoying Tennessee Rocky Top Fight Song every day during practices and talked about smashing Tennessee on a weekly basis). And before you knew it, the game was over before halftime.

I agree Cal gains a ton of confidence if they win, but I don't know how much confidence they have coming in to the game.

I'm not sure how Tedford handles this one, does he start telling his players that Tennessee lost all their recievers? or say that they won't have to compete with the Neyland crowd? It just seems like Cal got beat in every aspect of the game last time and their were absolutely no positives whatsoever.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Their positive was DeShawn Jackson.
He showed he could get loose on passing routes against a better UT secondary than this year's version.

Lynch didn't do much - he had one sorta long run from what I remember.

Defense was just an abomination - ala Miami's crap fest at Virginia Tech in '03 (was at that one :rant: ).

I didn't know Tedford had done all that. Rocky Top is an annoying sound. You get used to it after the 1st quarter or so.
I guess.

I think he's got to play the underdog angle/we got blown out last year to fire his guy's up.

Bottom line is that he needs to better game plan on D and figure out how to give Longshore some early confidence boosts while still letting the running game do it's thing.
Maybe short swing passes to the RB's or screens to Jackson.

W

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
if glennon turns out at least halfway decent, v tech will be dangerous, i don't believe they lost anyone too important other than rouse, frye (OT) and clowney. glennon looked awful much of the time last year though and LSU early will give them trouble, but i actually think their coaching may give them an advantage that early in the season

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
if glennon turns out at least halfway decent, v tech will be dangerous, i don't believe they lost anyone too important other than rouse, frye (OT) and clowney. glennon looked awful much of the time last year though and LSU early will give them trouble, but i actually think their coaching may give them an advantage that early in the season

Totally agree. I can't name the last really good Pocket QB at VTech.. it's all about ball control, special teams, turnovers and short field. They are best when they play that way. If Glennon can be Trent Dilfer (NFL Dilfer, not college stud Dilfer) than I really think VTech is dangerous. Confidence. Confidence!

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
From ESPN.com

2006 overall record:
10-3
Conference record:
6-2

Returning starters
Offense: 8, Defense: 8, Kicker/punter: 0
Top returners
LB Vince Hall, LB Xavier Adibi, CB Brandon Flowers, TB Branden Ore, DE Chris Ellis, DT Carlton Powell, OT Duane Brown, CB Victor Harris

Key losses
DE Noland Burchette, SS Aaron Rouse, OLB Brenden Hill, K Brandon Pace, P Nic Schmitt, WR David Clowney, C Danny McGrath

They lost their punter and kicker. That can be hard to replace. Though they are good on special teams usually.

Important to note - they return the same number of starters on O and D as Miami.

W

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
as long as beamer is there, their special teams will likely be fine. acc will be interesting this year...only a few more months away :(