Oscar De La Hoya vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr,

Oscar De La Hoya vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr.?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Who do you think is going to come out victorious? The fight is scheduled for May 5th (Cinco de Mayo). I'm rooting for Mayweather Jr. :woohoo:

cord195148

cord195148

Awards
Oscar surprised me in his most recent bout. However, he will go out on his back.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I think this is an easy descision, depending on dela hoya it could be a great fight. I voted oscar to give him some karma, but floyd is the obvious favorite.

P

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Mayweather is such an amazing fighter, and anyone who hasn't seen him fight, I recommend getting a few buddies together and watching this pay per view because he says he's retiring afterwards (win lose or draw) and that really might happen.

The only problem with mayweather is the time he dominate the sport was in it's major decline. He has never fought anyone who could compete at his level and he is a plain old d*ckhead who knows how good he is.

De La Hoya is too old to match up. I'm calling it a KO/TKO in the 5-6 rounds....

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
I think pretty boy Floyd will put the shoeshine on Oscar. Oscar has a lot of heart but I think he cant overcome Floyd's skills. His hand speed and head movement are amazing I love to watch a really fluent fighter get into his flow and pick people apart.:nutkick: He imposes his will on other boxers and just makes them want to quit.

L

Lightning

Awards
Any time DeLaHoya steps into the ring he has a chance. I'm praying that he catches him early and dictates the tempo. I cant stand Mayweather but his skills are amazing. Unfortunately I think Oscar is in over his head this time, but I'm hoping he proves everyone wrong. It would be the crowning achievment of a brilliant career.

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I can't remember which fight it was exactly but I remember I saw a fight once a few years ago in which Oscar was running around the ring the WHOLE time. It was disgraceful and he looked like a pretty big panzy unfortunately. Hopefully he won't do that again seeing how that was the last fight I ever watched of his.

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Was it with Trinidad? I believe so...either way. He looked like a panzy. I'll never forget he did that.:jaw:

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
Here's the scoop.

Oscar has 3 rounds to knock him out. By that time, Floyd will have figured out DeLaHoya and will dominate the rest of the fight. Oh, and by no means will those three rounds be easy... but they are the only 3 rounds Oscar will have. After that, it's show time and Floyd will dominate him the rest of the way.

PrettyBoy Floyd is known for his unmatched speed/quickness and herculian stamina, but his best attribute is his brain. Floyd goes in with a gameplan after studying each fighter, then slowly picks his way through the first few rounds and figures out each fighter. At that point, he effectively analyzes the gameplan, what he can do against the other fighter, and picks him apart for the rest of the fight. I've never seen a fighter adapt and customize a gameplan on the fly like Floyd. By round 4 of every fight, the tide always tilts towards Floyd and there's no turning back.

Oscar has a couple rounds to do his damage or he'll lose, period. Oscar was an amazing, blessed fighter, but I just don't see him standing up to PBF, even in his prime. I look forward to a great fight.

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That's one hell of an analysis. Sounds right on the money though :goodpost:

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
That's one hell of an analysis. Sounds right on the money though :goodpost:
A great example was Zab Judah. Mayweather knew he was fast, but you can't gage that until you into the ring. Judah fought very competitively the first 3 rouns, then Mayweather turned on the switch and absolutely dominated the rest of the way. Incredible.

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Oh man that's right, I remember that fight! LOL Good job Mr. Sport Analysis Man:D

B

baxter32

Awards
Mayweather is at his peak right now, but De la Hoya is the best fighter he's ever gone against. It should be a good fight, but I think mayweather wins by a few rounds in decision.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
What about aurturo gatti?
What about him? He's a good fighter but that's about it. Mayweather annihilated him in one of the most one-sided fights ever. Gatti literally couldn't even throw a punch, let alone land one.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I hope De La Hoya wins, but unfortunately it is not likely. Mayweather runs his mouth too much. He should keep his mouth shut when he doesn't know what he's talking about. He had some very harsh things to say about MMA fighters. I'd love for him to back up his talk and fight MMA, he would get smashed. I will say if he were to train for MMA for a few years he would probably be damn good, as talented as he is. Unfortunately mainstream MMA doesn't have a division for a guy that small.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I hope De La Hoya wins, but unfortunately it is not likely. Mayweather runs his mouth too much. He should keep his mouth shut when he doesn't know what he's talking about. He had some very harsh things to say about MMA fighters. I'd love for him to back up his talk and fight MMA, he would get smashed. I will say if he were to train for MMA for a few years he would probably be damn good, as talented as he is. Unfortunately mainstream MMA doesn't have a division for a guy that small.
Yeah that was BS. He just looked stupid. Boxing's cool, but completely one-dimensional compared to MMA.

Surprised with the difference in posters between a boxing thread and the MMA threads. It's a totally different crowd.

P

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I enjoy them both. But nowadays there isn't as many good athletes in boxing as there are in MMA. Well athletes and personalities. Mayweather is one of the few left that is worth watching.

Fights in boxing have been so lopsided today, and there hasn't been a superfight or a rivalry recently and that has really detracted from the sport. Don King, IMO killed it.

P

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Why do you say Don King killed it PI?
Well I know he definately put a lot of hype behind contests and built storylines...which are good things.

But he influenced the federations to such an extent that the fights were not as good as they could have been. Great fighters should fight great fights, not bums...

Also, I personally believe that he fixed a sh*tload of fights.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
The winner of this fight was/is due to fight the Welsh dude Joe Calzaghe right? He would floor both of them anyway.

P

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
The winner of this fight was/is due to fight the Welsh dude Joe Calzaghe right? He would floor both of them anyway.
what are you nuts...?? Mayweather would clean the floor with him...

and i believe you are wrong...

mayweahter has already stated win/lose/draw that he is retiring...

but i see that as a Roy Jones Jr. move...retire for a while then try and come back and not be anywhere near as good as you were.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
Mayweather stated after his last fight that he was fighting ONCE more. Mayweather would annihilate Calzaghe like he did Arturo Gatti.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Chances are you've never watched him fight. the guy is unbeaten in a stack of fights against respectable opposition. He might look like a skinny white guy but he would put up a damn good fight against Mayweather. Got to give credit where credits due..............

P

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
First off, he fights super Middleweight...mayweahter and de la hoya fight welter...

Thats like 20 lbs...

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
First off, he fights super Middleweight...mayweahter and de la hoya fight welter...

Thats like 20 lbs...
Fair enough PI.......i swear thats what i read in the paper, about the winner fighting Calzaghe, a fe wmonths back anyway :think:

P

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Mayweather always talks about going up in weight classes, and that's what he's doing with this fight, but 20lbs is a lot in boxing...

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Back in 2003 maybe watched De La Hoya and __I forget his name. After the fight he tested positive for steroids. I think the fight was stopped or it was a KO. watched it on payperview.

I havnt ever seen Mayweather fight so I will pick the winner if I see the fight. Good idea on getting a few buddies together to order it. May the 5th Ocsar had been recently hitting the weights. his arms seemed to have gotten bigger than the last fight in saw around 2003. he could use some chest , upper chest, but he looks like he may have more power then 2003 or whatever year it was. He foght a spanish fellow I beleive.Young guy

P

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
are you saying De La Hoya tested positive or the other guy?

and who knocked out who?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thats who it was Fernando Vargus and winny. De la hoya still beat him and Vargus was younger, and more ripped. Vargus was dancing around and De was giving mostly power shots then out of no-where, almost like the Ali and Foreman fight , De out of no where came with speed that wasnt expected.That when the fight was stopped or a knockout. Cant remember

Two days prior to the weigh in Vargus gained or lost, one or the other, like thirteen lbs

H

hill5673

Awards
In his prime, De La Hoya wins due to his tremendous skill,heart,determination and speed. But age is speeds' worst enemy..
Today, PBF wins simply because he is very similar to De La Hoya when he was younger. And is IN his prime.

Common opponent Arturo Gatti. Both pretty much erased him so it will be a fight.

:duel:

P

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
De La Hoya's heart and determination are just a media biproduct. He knows how to work a crowd and make himself look like a good guy. I'm not saying that he isn't, but he is put on such a pedistal. I think Mayweather has much more determination in ths fight. He is moving up in weight and thats the major difference.

Floyd Mayweather Jr
Sex Male
Nationality US American
Alias Pretty Boy
Birth Name Floyd Joy Mayweather Jr.
Global ID 000352
Federal ID NV045572
Hometown Las Vegas, NV, USA
Birthplace Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Rated at Welterweight
World Rank 1 / 1215
Date of Birth 1977-02-24
Age 30
Reach 72''
Stance Orthodox
Height 5' 8
Trainer Roger Mayweather
Manager Self
W 37 (24 ko's) | L 0 | D 0 | Total 37

Oscar De La Hoya
Sex Male
Nationality US American
Alias Golden Boy
Global ID 008253
Federal ID CA036576
Hometown Los Angeles, CA, USA
Birthplace Montebello, CA, USA
Rated at Light Middleweight
World Rank 2 / 995
Date of Birth 1973-02-04
Age 34
Reach 73”
Stance Orthodox
Height 5' 10½
Trainer Freddie Roach
Manager Self
W 38 (30 ko's) | L 4 | D 0 | Total 42

There is only a 4 year age difference there. Hoya has a reach advantage. Hoya has 5 more fights under his belt, which translate into one win and those 4 loses.

Mayweather is at his peak. Hoya is just about to come off of that plateau. Hoya has fought more accomplished fighters than mayweather, but has lost to msot of them.

I still can't find any reason to pick against the Pretty Boy.

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
De La Hoya's heart and determination are just a media biproduct. He knows how to work a crowd and make himself look like a good guy. I'm not saying that he isn't, but he is put on such a pedistal. I think Mayweather has much more determination in ths fight. He is moving up in weight and thats the major difference.

Floyd Mayweather Jr
Sex Male
Nationality US American
Alias Pretty Boy
Birth Name Floyd Joy Mayweather Jr.
Global ID 000352
Federal ID NV045572
Hometown Las Vegas, NV, USA
Birthplace Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Rated at Welterweight
World Rank 1 / 1215
Date of Birth 1977-02-24
Age 30
Reach 72''
Stance Orthodox
Height 5' 8
Trainer Roger Mayweather
Manager Self
W 37 (24 ko's) | L 0 | D 0 | Total 37

Oscar De La Hoya
Sex Male
Nationality US American
Alias Golden Boy
Global ID 008253
Federal ID CA036576
Hometown Los Angeles, CA, USA
Birthplace Montebello, CA, USA
Rated at Light Middleweight
World Rank 2 / 995
Date of Birth 1973-02-04
Age 34
Reach 73”
Stance Orthodox
Height 5' 10½
Trainer Freddie Roach
Manager Self
W 38 (30 ko's) | L 4 | D 0 | Total 42

There is only a 4 year age difference there. Hoya has a reach advantage. Hoya has 5 more fights under his belt, which translate into one win and those 4 loses.

Mayweather is at his peak. Hoya is just about to come off of that plateau. Hoya has fought more accomplished fighters than mayweather, but has lost to msot of them.

I still can't find any reason to pick against the Pretty Boy.
From the looks of it...me either lol.
:lol:

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
JIm Braddock beat Max Bear in a total underdog fight. Where theres a will theres a way..this fight will show who is more hungry. De la hoyas gonna get paid so thats no thing to him, but could still be hungry for unknown reasons.
Mayweather could be hungry for whatever reason. @

I will decide on the day on the contest who I choose to win by lookign at there body language, reading them, like a book=)

In the Vargus, De la hoya fight I was for De but in this fight it could change , the day of the fight determines it

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You're a cheater... deciding who you're going to go with the day of the fight. Pfft...:nono:

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Common opponent Arturo Gatti. Both pretty much erased him so it will be a fight.

:duel:
Arturo Gatti - the human punching bag, "I thought I got points for bleeding"?

De la Hoya is the best defensive fighter ever! he could go the whole fight without taking a punch, but he knows the crowd wants to see him bleed!

I think there is more money on a second and third fight so De la Hoya in the upset !!!

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
I watched a few shows last night on HBO I think about this whole thing. I really didn't care for the way Mayweather acted during the press conference. His Doc says he's tired of the way people portray Mayweather in the press because he's not like that in real life. I don't think he saw press conference. I really would like to see De la Hoya take him for that reason alone. I despise punkass showboaters. Maybe they should match Mayweather up with that crazy black dude in MMA, what's his name? The dude that does the back flips off of the ropes and has a totally unpredictable style. I want to see him talk sh1t about him.

De la Hoya has his work cut out for him.

P

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I watched a few shows last night on HBO I think about this whole thing. I really didn't care for the way Mayweather acted during the press conference. His Doc says he's tired of the way people portray Mayweather in the press because he's not like that in real life. I don't think he saw press conference. I really would like to see De la Hoya take him for that reason alone. I despise punkass showboaters. Maybe they should match Mayweather up with that crazy black dude in MMA, what's his name? The dude that does the back flips off of the ropes and has a totally unpredictable style. I want to see him talk sh1t about him.

De la Hoya has his work cut out for him.

A lot of that is for publicity. To help try and save the sport. Good guy vs. Bad guy. There is no way they could set De La Hoya up in that role. They tried once but it didn't work out.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
50-cent bet 1 million on mayweather, crazy. Mayweather by decision.

P

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
As soon as I get out of work, I'm putting 50 or 100 on mayweahter, Win-Decision or KO (5th)...I can't make up my mind.

S

sjfou

Awards
PBF will win the first 5 rounds, then Oscar will be too big, but his speed wont slow. i predict a TKO victory for DLH late, about round 9 or 10.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
50-cent bet 1 million on mayweather, crazy. Mayweather by decision.
thats foolish. I guess he has the money to flaut, but its still follish/// hmm does that swya my decesion more to De ...lol who knows.....=)