View Poll Results: Oscar De La Hoya vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr.?

Voters
11. This poll is closed
  • De La Hoya

    2 18.18%
  • Mayweather Jr.

    7 63.64%
  • I know nothing

    2 18.18%

Oscar De La Hoya vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr,

Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last

  1. Quote Originally Posted by PumpingIron View Post
    he beat de la hoya 2 fights ago...ofcourse he'd say that.

    didnt know that?

    anyone in here ever box? I used to five years ago. Wish I had my videos so i could post them but my ex-boxing trainer doesnt know where they got to after he moved.

    also done two matches recently.(This was MMa fighting but we were having a boxing day, not a real crowd fight fight but we went at it just about 100%, so it was a real intense fight) lost one , actually it was mma fighting but we were boxing and had to go barefooted and broke my two, thus the opp saw when landed on my toe and knocked me silly. Next fight about a week later I won.

    Am more interested in Bodybuilding.
    Facebook John Smeton Fitness
    youtube JohnSmetonFitness1
    Twitter SmetonFitness


  2. I saw this somewhere else:

    http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

    "SHERK CHASING FLOYD It's not unusual when a fighter attends a big match and gets a seat at ringside, hoping to land a fight with the winner of the main event.

    It is unusual, however, when that fighter is from a different sport.

    But such will be the case Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden when mixed martial artist Sean Sherk, the UFC's lightweight champion, will be ringside to watch Mayweather try to lift the super welterweight boxing title from De La Hoya. "
    •   
       


  3. I saw the weigh in. My choice is De la Hoya.
    Facebook John Smeton Fitness
    youtube JohnSmetonFitness1
    Twitter SmetonFitness

  4. Weak A$$ poll, closed 4-21?
    Good Job!
    Doesnt matter anyways, Id much rather watch an MMA lightweith title match. Id compare my interest in boxing vs MMA to my interest in seeing Helle Berry Naked vs Whoopi Goldberg naked. Halle = MMA: bright future, attractive, entertaining and is here for a long time. Whoopi = old, unattractive, about to die off and disappear into oblivion.
    This fight prob will breat Tito Ortiz vs Chuck Liddel in PPV numbers just because it gets ESPN coverage and hype from other BS media outlets like SEE-B.S. ESPN is going to realize they have no choice but to realize that MMA is the far superior and much more dynamic sport. They already semi cover it in their magazine. They acknowledged the PPV ratings are better than recent boxing events, and did an interview with Chuck Liddell. They know MMA is a force, and old boring boxing is dead. Its a matter of time before the media accepts MMA, and its domination as a powerhouse in global sporting events.

  5. Halley Berry naked is really the only thing that stands out in your post to me. I'd be sitting ringside with that Mirko Crocop stare and drooling like a kid on a baby food commercial.
    •   
       


  6. Oscar has to go right at mayweather and try to beat him to the body and hope to hurt him and pressure him. I say that because his skill level is not nearly on par with mayweather. I would like Oscar to shut him up but I doubt it will happen.

  7. de la hoya does seem confident...really confident...more confident than mayweather.

    hmmm...



    CNorris, espn carries some ultimate fighting highlights already.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by CNorris View Post
    Weak A$$ poll, closed 4-21?
    Good Job!
    Doesnt matter anyways, Id much rather watch an MMA lightweith title match. Id compare my interest in boxing vs MMA to my interest in seeing Helle Berry Naked vs Whoopi Goldberg naked. Halle = MMA: bright future, attractive, entertaining and is here for a long time. Whoopi = old, unattractive, about to die off and disappear into oblivion.
    This fight prob will breat Tito Ortiz vs Chuck Liddel in PPV numbers just because it gets ESPN coverage and hype from other BS media outlets like SEE-B.S. ESPN is going to realize they have no choice but to realize that MMA is the far superior and much more dynamic sport. They already semi cover it in their magazine. They acknowledged the PPV ratings are better than recent boxing events, and did an interview with Chuck Liddell. They know MMA is a force, and old boring boxing is dead. Its a matter of time before the media accepts MMA, and its domination as a powerhouse in global sporting events.
    i don't quite get the point of MMA. I've only seen it a few times including Rodja's fight the other day but to me it just looks like it turns into more wrestling/grappling then anything else. Is it anything goes or what?

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    i don't quite get the point of MMA. I've only seen it a few times including Rodja's fight the other day but to me it just looks like it turns into more wrestling/grappling then anything else. Is it anything goes or what?
    that a big part...it's not that fun to watch unless it's at the elite level.

    every once in a while you get some good standup...and some good blows on the ground. but once theyre down, they pretty much battle for position or a submission.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    didnt know that?

    anyone in here ever box?
    I'm currently training, not for a match of anything, just for fitness.

    Quote Originally Posted by CNorris View Post
    Weak A$$ poll, closed 4-21?
    Good Job!
    Doesnt matter anyways, Id much rather watch an MMA lightweith title match. Id compare my interest in boxing vs MMA to my interest in seeing Helle Berry Naked vs Whoopi Goldberg naked. Halle = MMA: bright future, attractive, entertaining and is here for a long time. Whoopi = old, unattractive, about to die off and disappear into oblivion.
    This fight prob will breat Tito Ortiz vs Chuck Liddel in PPV numbers just because it gets ESPN coverage and hype from other BS media outlets like SEE-B.S. ESPN is going to realize they have no choice but to realize that MMA is the far superior and much more dynamic sport. They already semi cover it in their magazine. They acknowledged the PPV ratings are better than recent boxing events, and did an interview with Chuck Liddell. They know MMA is a force, and old boring boxing is dead. Its a matter of time before the media accepts MMA, and its domination as a powerhouse in global sporting events.
    What can I say? The poll was open long enough for the sharp minded people to get in on the discussion. Anyone else was caught sleeping-their loss. Life is fast.

    Anyways, boxing and MMA are two different sports. This was discussed in another thread. Take one, take both or forget about both. It's solely up to the individual. One day, MMA is going to be what boxing is today. It's called the life cycle

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    i don't quite get the point of MMA. I've only seen it a few times including Rodja's fight the other day but to me it just looks like it turns into more wrestling/grappling then anything else. Is it anything goes or what?
    It's essentially anything goes, but with some rules to keep the fighters safe (like no strikes to the back of the head) and to avoid seeing BS like hairpulling, eye gouging, finger breaking, etc. A good number of fights go the ground, but the groundwork can be really beautiful if you understand it. Check out Karo Parisyan vs. Diego Sanchez, Nick Diaz vs. Diego Sanchez or Karo vs. Diaz for good ground action. Sometimes it's slow too. Some fighters are good strikers with great takedown defense and can keep their fights on the feet like Chuck Liddell or Crocop.

    MMA is a really volatile sport. Anything can happen and especially this year, upsets are frequent.

  12. I used to box and do MMA up until a few years ago. I mainly trained in western boxing, muay thai kickboxing, jeet kune do, wing chun kung fu, brazilian jiu jitsu/japanese shoot fighting, pencak silot and I also took tae kwon do when I was a kid.

    It was a lot of fun, it got me into Great shape, and I met a LOT of really cool people.. I'm getting old now but I hope to feel close to 100% enough to get back into it soon...

    Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    didnt know that?

    anyone in here ever box? I used to five years ago. Wish I had my videos so i could post them but my ex-boxing trainer doesnt know where they got to after he moved.

    also done two matches recently.(This was MMa fighting but we were having a boxing day, not a real crowd fight fight but we went at it just about 100%, so it was a real intense fight) lost one , actually it was mma fighting but we were boxing and had to go barefooted and broke my two, thus the opp saw when landed on my toe and knocked me silly. Next fight about a week later I won.

    Am more interested in Bodybuilding.

  13. HBO's 24/7 episodes on the behind the scenes on these two have be very interesting. IMO, Oscar's as ready as he can be, he and Freddie Roach have prepared an excellent gameplan of stiff superior reach jabbing and circling away and interior muscling with bodywork, the hardest part for DLH will be to offset the ultra dangerous mid range where Mayweather's blazing handspeed is a killer.

    War Oscar!, but I would'nt bet on it. Mayweather is a freak, a punk who's a genetic natural born killer; Oscar's smarts may not be enough to offset Floyd's superior athleticism.

    An aside to this, this is a great event, wether it's dud fight or not, but these spectacles are too few and far between for Boxing to hold off MMA's future dominance. The Boxing snobs in the media are clutching false hope, MMA is the very soon to be king of combat sports.

  14. didnt get to see it. who won..
    Facebook John Smeton Fitness
    youtube JohnSmetonFitness1
    Twitter SmetonFitness

  15. Goddamn Im glad I didnt pay a dime to watch that boring piece of trash of a sporting even. **** boxing. Id rather watch the worst MMA fight ever than any boxing match.

  16. ahhhh could you tell us what happened?


    CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade

  17. Quote Originally Posted by CROWLER View Post
    ahhhh could you tell us what happened?


    CROWLER
    ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports, front page spoiler, although there is nothing to spoil. It was worthless.

  18. Yeah I got it on PPV


    It was frustrating to watch, because I wanted De La Hoya to win, but he was not being consistent. He was deffinately the aggressor for at least 3/4ths of the fight, but he would never really follow up on his initial attacks.

    He would corner mayweather against the ropes and begin a barrage of blows but then just suddenly let up, not because mayweather was countering, but just being overly cautious. Additionally, Oscar would often take too long to strike, he seemed to be thinking too much, over analyzing, and in those times mayweather would just get a jab in. Over time all of mayweathers jabs just kept building up, chipping away at Oscar. Even in the final three rounds it was hard to watch because Oscar really just needed to go all out and try to get a KO but he wouldn't only really in the final 10 seconds of the 12th did he really just unleash, and that is something he should have done at the start of the 11th or 12th. I didn't feel this event was worth the extreme hype, there were some good moments, but overall I felt let down.

    Also want to add, even though Oscar was the aggressor and mayweather hopping and weaving around on defense most of the fight, I felt a lot of the punches Oscar threw were not THAT effective in slowing down Mayweather, I think Mayweather look suprised and even scared a few times but often he would havea smile on his face after a wave of punches , taunting Oscar.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by Zero Tolerance View Post
    I used to box and do MMA up until a few years ago. I mainly trained in western boxing, muay thai kickboxing, jeet kune do, wing chun kung fu, brazilian jiu jitsu/japanese shoot fighting, pencak silot and I also took tae kwon do when I was a kid.

    It was a lot of fun, it got me into Great shape, and I met a LOT of really cool people.. I'm getting old now but I hope to feel close to 100% enough to get back into it soon...
    Jeet kune do, is this Bruce Lee's style wher its not a way of fighting but rather a concept where you take what works for you, wherever it may come from?
    Facebook John Smeton Fitness
    youtube JohnSmetonFitness1
    Twitter SmetonFitness

  20. Sorry to hear. If it was a good fight it would have did boxing good. Hopefully they'll be a incredible upcoming fight in boxing.
    Maybe Klitcho can make boxing a more popular sport. Whether it goes out of style or not it is fun and enjoyable. Not the fighting but the rymthm , feel you get in ythe ring..its a certain tempo, beat boom baa boo boom to it.


    Quote Originally Posted by BigCasino View Post
    Yeah I got it on PPV


    It was frustrating to watch, because I wanted De La Hoya to win, but he was not being consistent. He was deffinately the aggressor for at least 3/4ths of the fight, but he would never really follow up on his initial attacks.

    He would corner mayweather against the ropes and begin a barrage of blows but then just suddenly let up, not because mayweather was countering, but just being overly cautious. Additionally, Oscar would often take too long to strike, he seemed to be thinking too much, over analyzing, and in those times mayweather would just get a jab in. Over time all of mayweathers jabs just kept building up, chipping away at Oscar. Even in the final three rounds it was hard to watch because Oscar really just needed to go all out and try to get a KO but he wouldn't only really in the final 10 seconds of the 12th did he really just unleash, and that is something he should have done at the start of the 11th or 12th. I didn't feel this event was worth the extreme hype, there were some good moments, but overall I felt let down.

    Also want to add, even though Oscar was the aggressor and mayweather hopping and weaving around on defense most of the fight, I felt a lot of the punches Oscar threw were not THAT effective in slowing down Mayweather, I think Mayweather look suprised and even scared a few times but often he would havea smile on his face after a wave of punches , taunting Oscar.
    Facebook John Smeton Fitness
    youtube JohnSmetonFitness1
    Twitter SmetonFitness

  21. I saw the fight and Big Casino summed it up well. I see a rematch in the future. By the way, where was that "Massacre" Mayweather talked about? I think once or twice it could have been a decent brawl, but there was definently too much thought involved. Mayweather took him with speed and accuracy. De La Hoya would have mangled him if Mayweather would have just squared up with him. He was constantly turned to the side guarding his midsection.

    Personally, I like to watch Crocop throw that invisible left foot. Now that's entertainment. What was that? Why can't I hear out of my right ear? Why are all of these people sideways? Where am I?

  22. mayweather fought to win. he did it well. I didn't understand where that split decision came from...

    either way, it was a decent fight. people get pissed that there wasnt a knock down/out but it was a well fought fight...

    And I'm up 200 bucks either way!!!

  23. Quote Originally Posted by CNorris View Post
    Goddamn Im glad I didnt pay a dime to watch that boring piece of trash of a sporting even. **** boxing. Id rather watch the worst MMA fight ever than any boxing match.
    Your point was clearly many posts ago. After the 3rd time, it gets repetitive. Isn't there an MMA fight on or something? Go catch it.

  24. Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy9 View Post
    Your point was clearly many posts ago. After the 3rd time, it gets repetitive. Isn't there an MMA fight on or something? Go catch it.
    Yes, CNorris is infamous for letting his opinion be known, usually in obnoxious fashion.

  25. Can't handle the death of boxing

    I want that hour of my life back. It not only didnt live up to the hype, it was so boring it was nail pouneded into the coffin for the sport of boxing. The sport deserves to get ripped, and I enjoy doing it until the day it becomes entertaining or dies off. These fighters shouldnt be making tens of millions. Its just pathetic. The show they put on wasnt worth them making $100 a piece.

    MMA => <= Boxing

  26. I personally like MMA...

    I love boxing...

    The fight last night was good...De La Hoya definitely got beat, that one judge was an idiot...

    I've seen plenty of top tier MMA fights that are nothing but two guys laying on one another...

  27. Quote Originally Posted by PumpingIron View Post
    I personally like MMA...

    I love boxing...

    The fight last night was good...De La Hoya definitely got beat, that one judge was an idiot...

    I've seen plenty of top tier MMA fights that are nothing but two guys laying on one another...
    You must have seen Josh Koscheck fight then. Yeah there are some boring MMA fights, but they dont last an hour. A night of 6-8 MMA fights in a UFC or Pride event is 10x more entertaining than any boxing card event in the last 10 years. You get such a mix of fight styles, and if you can appreciate Jui Jitsu, submissions and good wrestling some of those ground fights are actuall some of the best. That doesnt mean there arent lay and pray MMA'ers out ther like Koscheck, but honestly I find that more entertaining than a weak ass jab fest. In a night of MMA, its guaranteed you will see a kick ass KO or submission. That more than I can say about boxing.

  28. Okay then...how about watching someone get punched 200+ times during the course of that hour...

    # 1 MMA guys can't put up with that, # 2, I personally find it entertaining as hell.

  29. Quote Originally Posted by PumpingIron View Post
    Okay then...how about watching someone get punched 200+ times during the course of that hour...

    # 1 MMA guys can't put up with that, # 2, I personally find it entertaining as hell.
    #1 MMa guys cant put up with that because boxers couldnt either if they fought with 4oz gloves. And I find the fact that you dont even consider this entertaining as hell. They also have to watch out for kicks to the legs/body/head, watch out for takedowns, mui thai clinches, knees to the head, judo throws and on and on and on........
    Boxing is one dimensional and boring. Its a boring sport, and I dont want to see someone take 200 punches to the head. Its not entertaining or one bit dynamic.

  30. I would agree with the point about the lighter gloves and the need to modify one's stance and tactics to deal with other threats, disagree on the excitement of boxing. There's still dynamic excitement in boxing at the lower weights, the talent's pooled down there, the heavier weights aren't what thy used to be, one can hope it's cyclical and the heavier weights will return to fun form.

    Baseball, now that's boring, Boxing is and always will be great, but not always, and neither is MMA, IMO.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Pacquiao vs de la hoya?
    By riskerz in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-04-2009, 09:25 PM
  2. Manny Pacquiao vs. Oscar De La Hoya
    By flobot in forum MMA
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-08-2008, 10:04 PM
  3. Mayweather vs. De La Hoya
    By exnihilo in forum MMA
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-06-2007, 08:13 PM
  4. Arturo Gatti vs Floyd Mayweather
    By Zero Tolerance in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-29-2005, 07:57 PM
  5. De la Hoya get's KTFO
    By megadeth in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-19-2004, 03:27 AM
Log in
Log in