View Poll Results: Oscar De La Hoya vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr.?

Voters
11. This poll is closed
  • De La Hoya

2 18.18%
  • Mayweather Jr.

7 63.64%
  • I know nothing

2 18.18%

Oscar De La Hoya vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr,

Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last

1. are you saying De La Hoya tested positive or the other guy?

and who knocked out who?

2. Found it...Fernando Vargus...and Winny...

BOXING; Vargas Faults Drug Test - New York Times
    •   

3. Thats who it was Fernando Vargus and winny. De la hoya still beat him and Vargus was younger, and more ripped. Vargus was dancing around and De was giving mostly power shots then out of no-where, almost like the Ali and Foreman fight , De out of no where came with speed that wasnt expected.That when the fight was stopped or a knockout. Cant remember

Two days prior to the weigh in Vargus gained or lost, one or the other, like thirteen lbs

4. Quote Originally Posted by PumpingIron View Post
    Found it...Fernando Vargus...and Winny...

BOXING; Vargas Faults Drug Test - New York Times
    I remember Vargas looking real hard and seemed impervious to any pain, but De la Hoya peppered him with so many uncontested punches to his face that, the ref had to stop it in the 11th !

5. In his prime, De La Hoya wins due to his tremendous skill,heart,determination and speed. But age is speeds' worst enemy..
    Today, PBF wins simply because he is very similar to De La Hoya when he was younger. And is IN his prime.

Common opponent Arturo Gatti. Both pretty much erased him so it will be a fight.

•   

6. De La Hoya's heart and determination are just a media biproduct. He knows how to work a crowd and make himself look like a good guy. I'm not saying that he isn't, but he is put on such a pedistal. I think Mayweather has much more determination in ths fight. He is moving up in weight and thats the major difference.

Floyd Mayweather Jr
    Sex Male
    Nationality US American
    Alias Pretty Boy
    Birth Name Floyd Joy Mayweather Jr.
    Global ID 000352
    Federal ID NV045572
    Hometown Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Birthplace Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Rated at Welterweight
    World Rank 1 / 1215
    Date of Birth 1977-02-24
    Age 30
    Reach 72''
    Stance Orthodox
    Height 5' 8
    Trainer Roger Mayweather
    Manager Self
    W 37 (24 ko's) | L 0 | D 0 | Total 37

Oscar De La Hoya
    Sex Male
    Nationality US American
    Alias Golden Boy
    Global ID 008253
    Federal ID CA036576
    Hometown Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Birthplace Montebello, CA, USA
    Rated at Light Middleweight
    World Rank 2 / 995
    Date of Birth 1973-02-04
    Age 34
    Reach 73”
    Stance Orthodox
    Height 5' 10
    Trainer Freddie Roach
    Manager Self
    W 38 (30 ko's) | L 4 | D 0 | Total 42

There is only a 4 year age difference there. Hoya has a reach advantage. Hoya has 5 more fights under his belt, which translate into one win and those 4 loses.

Mayweather is at his peak. Hoya is just about to come off of that plateau. Hoya has fought more accomplished fighters than mayweather, but has lost to msot of them.

I still can't find any reason to pick against the Pretty Boy.

7. Quote Originally Posted by PumpingIron View Post
    De La Hoya's heart and determination are just a media biproduct. He knows how to work a crowd and make himself look like a good guy. I'm not saying that he isn't, but he is put on such a pedistal. I think Mayweather has much more determination in ths fight. He is moving up in weight and thats the major difference.

Floyd Mayweather Jr
    Sex Male
    Nationality US American
    Alias Pretty Boy
    Birth Name Floyd Joy Mayweather Jr.
    Global ID 000352
    Federal ID NV045572
    Hometown Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Birthplace Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Rated at Welterweight
    World Rank 1 / 1215
    Date of Birth 1977-02-24
    Age 30
    Reach 72''
    Stance Orthodox
    Height 5' 8
    Trainer Roger Mayweather
    Manager Self
    W 37 (24 ko's) | L 0 | D 0 | Total 37

Oscar De La Hoya
    Sex Male
    Nationality US American
    Alias Golden Boy
    Global ID 008253
    Federal ID CA036576
    Hometown Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Birthplace Montebello, CA, USA
    Rated at Light Middleweight
    World Rank 2 / 995
    Date of Birth 1973-02-04
    Age 34
    Reach 73
    Stance Orthodox
    Height 5' 10
    Trainer Freddie Roach
    Manager Self
    W 38 (30 ko's) | L 4 | D 0 | Total 42

There is only a 4 year age difference there. Hoya has a reach advantage. Hoya has 5 more fights under his belt, which translate into one win and those 4 loses.

Mayweather is at his peak. Hoya is just about to come off of that plateau. Hoya has fought more accomplished fighters than mayweather, but has lost to msot of them.

I still can't find any reason to pick against the Pretty Boy.
    From the looks of it...me either lol.

8. I think Vegas has him at 3:1

9. JIm Braddock beat Max Bear in a total underdog fight. Where theres a will theres a way..this fight will show who is more hungry. De la hoyas gonna get paid so thats no thing to him, but could still be hungry for unknown reasons.
    Mayweather could be hungry for whatever reason. @

I will decide on the day on the contest who I choose to win by lookign at there body language, reading them, like a book=)

In the Vargus, De la hoya fight I was for De but in this fight it could change , the day of the fight determines it

10. You're a cheater... deciding who you're going to go with the day of the fight. Pfft...

11. Quote Originally Posted by hill5673 View Post
    Common opponent Arturo Gatti. Both pretty much erased him so it will be a fight.

Arturo Gatti - the human punching bag, "I thought I got points for bleeding"?

De la Hoya is the best defensive fighter ever! he could go the whole fight without taking a punch, but he knows the crowd wants to see him bleed!

I think there is more money on a second and third fight so De la Hoya in the upset !!!

12. I watched a few shows last night on HBO I think about this whole thing. I really didn't care for the way Mayweather acted during the press conference. His Doc says he's tired of the way people portray Mayweather in the press because he's not like that in real life. I don't think he saw press conference. I really would like to see De la Hoya take him for that reason alone. I despise punkass showboaters. Maybe they should match Mayweather up with that crazy black dude in MMA, what's his name? The dude that does the back flips off of the ropes and has a totally unpredictable style. I want to see him talk sh1t about him.

De la Hoya has his work cut out for him.

13. may 5th at 4 pm right?
    Facebook John Smeton Fitness
    youtube JohnSmetonFitness1
    Twitter SmetonFitness

14. Quote Originally Posted by Mach .78 View Post
    I watched a few shows last night on HBO I think about this whole thing. I really didn't care for the way Mayweather acted during the press conference. His Doc says he's tired of the way people portray Mayweather in the press because he's not like that in real life. I don't think he saw press conference. I really would like to see De la Hoya take him for that reason alone. I despise punkass showboaters. Maybe they should match Mayweather up with that crazy black dude in MMA, what's his name? The dude that does the back flips off of the ropes and has a totally unpredictable style. I want to see him talk sh1t about him.

De la Hoya has his work cut out for him.

A lot of that is for publicity. To help try and save the sport. Good guy vs. Bad guy. There is no way they could set De La Hoya up in that role. They tried once but it didn't work out.

15. Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    may 5th at 4 pm right?
    Yes sir!

16. 50-cent bet 1 million on mayweather, crazy. Mayweather by decision.

17. Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted View Post
    50-cent bet 1 million on mayweather, crazy. Mayweather by decision.
    wow i bet a hundred quid and im sweating!

18. As soon as I get out of work, I'm putting 50 or 100 on mayweahter, Win-Decision or KO (5th)...I can't make up my mind.

19. PBF will win the first 5 rounds, then Oscar will be too big, but his speed wont slow. i predict a TKO victory for DLH late, about round 9 or 10.

20. Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted View Post
    50-cent bet 1 million on mayweather, crazy. Mayweather by decision.
    thats foolish. I guess he has the money to flaut, but its still follish/// hmm does that swya my decesion more to De ...lol who knows.....=)
    Twitter SmetonFitness

21. ^ Thats where my money went...

22. Mayweather is an incredible boxer but seems to be worthless as an individual. For that reason alone, I would like to see De La Hoya win.

I keep wondering if Mayweather's antics are driving DeLaHoya in the same manner that Mayorga's antics drove DeLaHoya.

23. What antics? All he does is talk trash...and he is the best boxer on the planet, so he has all the room to talk it.

24. I think it would be ironic if the pretty boy lost this match just for the fact that he's been talking so much trash. I still think he's a better fighter than De La Hoya but regardless, it would be funny never the less.

25. Quote Originally Posted by PumpingIron View Post
    What antics? All he does is talk trash...and he is the best boxer on the planet, so he has all the room to talk it.
    I certainly would not deny that Mayweather is one of the best(quite possibly the best) boxers in the world. However, it does not excuse his behavior. Why is "talking trash" something that is acceptable? Many athletes who are at the elite level do not stoop to such low levels as Mayweather has. His "talking trash" towards De La Hoya is filled with vulgarities and personal attacks. His trash talking towards MMA is directed completely at a sport in which he would be destroyed.

In regards to his antics, I would consider the live chicken incident and supposed stealing of De La Hoya gym bag are two good examples of antics. Of course, the constant verbal nonsense is something that I would consider to be antics as well.

A real quote from Mayweather:
    “Ok, so I stole your ****”, said Mayweather a few days later. “So do something about it”.

26. The MMA stuff is simply for publicity. I found it funny.

I'm not condoning the trash talking but atleast he isn't doing stupid **** that a lot of other top athletes are.

I didn't know about any live chicken incident...The gym bag thing had me cracking up too.

27. How can you even watch boxing after watching MMA?
    Boxing has a terminal illness. Its slowly dying, and will be dead within a few years.

28. Boxing has a history especially in the US. I actually prefer it when its a good match...and you won't find a better one then this...

MMA has a lot of histories...

29. Bernard Hopkins predicts De la hoya. He sayd the fight will start out with mayweather but De will pound the punches as the fight gets into the fifth or sixth and beyond
    Twitter SmetonFitness

30. he beat de la hoya 2 fights ago...ofcourse he'd say that.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Pacquiao vs de la hoya?
    By riskerz in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-04-2009, 10:25 PM
  2. Manny Pacquiao vs. Oscar De La Hoya
    By flobot in forum MMA
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-08-2008, 11:04 PM
  3. Mayweather vs. De La Hoya
    By exnihilo in forum MMA