View Poll Results: Oscar De La Hoya vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr.?

Voters
11. This poll is closed
  • De La Hoya

2 18.18%
  • Mayweather Jr.

7 63.64%
  • I know nothing

2 18.18%

Oscar De La Hoya vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr,

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.93%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by hill5673 View Post
    Common opponent Arturo Gatti. Both pretty much erased him so it will be a fight.

Arturo Gatti - the human punching bag, "I thought I got points for bleeding"?

De la Hoya is the best defensive fighter ever! he could go the whole fight without taking a punch, but he knows the crowd wants to see him bleed!

I think there is more money on a second and third fight so De la Hoya in the upset !!!

2. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.43%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I watched a few shows last night on HBO I think about this whole thing. I really didn't care for the way Mayweather acted during the press conference. His Doc says he's tired of the way people portray Mayweather in the press because he's not like that in real life. I don't think he saw press conference. I really would like to see De la Hoya take him for that reason alone. I despise punkass showboaters. Maybe they should match Mayweather up with that crazy black dude in MMA, what's his name? The dude that does the back flips off of the ropes and has a totally unpredictable style. I want to see him talk sh1t about him.

De la Hoya has his work cut out for him.
  3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.82%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

may 5th at 4 pm right?
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.7%

Quote Originally Posted by Mach .78 View Post
    I watched a few shows last night on HBO I think about this whole thing. I really didn't care for the way Mayweather acted during the press conference. His Doc says he's tired of the way people portray Mayweather in the press because he's not like that in real life. I don't think he saw press conference. I really would like to see De la Hoya take him for that reason alone. I despise punkass showboaters. Maybe they should match Mayweather up with that crazy black dude in MMA, what's his name? The dude that does the back flips off of the ropes and has a totally unpredictable style. I want to see him talk sh1t about him.

De la Hoya has his work cut out for him.

A lot of that is for publicity. To help try and save the sport. Good guy vs. Bad guy. There is no way they could set De La Hoya up in that role. They tried once but it didn't work out.
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.7%

Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    may 5th at 4 pm right?
    Yes sir!
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.57%

50-cent bet 1 million on mayweather, crazy. Mayweather by decision.
  7. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.3%

Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted View Post
    wow i bet a hundred quid and im sweating!
  8. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.7%

As soon as I get out of work, I'm putting 50 or 100 on mayweahter, Win-Decision or KO (5th)...I can't make up my mind.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.35%

PBF will win the first 5 rounds, then Oscar will be too big, but his speed wont slow. i predict a TKO victory for DLH late, about round 9 or 10.
  10. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.82%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted View Post
    thats foolish. I guess he has the money to flaut, but its still follish/// hmm does that swya my decesion more to De ...lol who knows.....=)
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  11. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.7%

^ Thats where my money went...
  12. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.92%

Mayweather is an incredible boxer but seems to be worthless as an individual. For that reason alone, I would like to see De La Hoya win.

I keep wondering if Mayweather's antics are driving DeLaHoya in the same manner that Mayorga's antics drove DeLaHoya.
  13. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.7%

What antics? All he does is talk trash...and he is the best boxer on the planet, so he has all the room to talk it.
  14. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.56%

I think it would be ironic if the pretty boy lost this match just for the fact that he's been talking so much trash. I still think he's a better fighter than De La Hoya but regardless, it would be funny never the less.
  15. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.92%

Quote Originally Posted by PumpingIron View Post
    What antics? All he does is talk trash...and he is the best boxer on the planet, so he has all the room to talk it.
    I certainly would not deny that Mayweather is one of the best(quite possibly the best) boxers in the world. However, it does not excuse his behavior. Why is "talking trash" something that is acceptable? Many athletes who are at the elite level do not stoop to such low levels as Mayweather has. His "talking trash" towards De La Hoya is filled with vulgarities and personal attacks. His trash talking towards MMA is directed completely at a sport in which he would be destroyed.

In regards to his antics, I would consider the live chicken incident and supposed stealing of De La Hoya gym bag are two good examples of antics. Of course, the constant verbal nonsense is something that I would consider to be antics as well.

A real quote from Mayweather:
    “Ok, so I stole your ****”, said Mayweather a few days later. “So do something about it”.
  16. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.7%

The MMA stuff is simply for publicity. I found it funny.

I'm not condoning the trash talking but atleast he isn't doing stupid **** that a lot of other top athletes are.

I didn't know about any live chicken incident...The gym bag thing had me cracking up too.
  17. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.7%
    Achievements Posting Pro

How can you even watch boxing after watching MMA?
    Boxing has a terminal illness. Its slowly dying, and will be dead within a few years.
  18. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.7%

Boxing has a history especially in the US. I actually prefer it when its a good match...and you won't find a better one then this...

MMA has a lot of histories...
  19. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.82%

Bernard Hopkins predicts De la hoya. He sayd the fight will start out with mayweather but De will pound the punches as the fight gets into the fifth or sixth and beyond
  20. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.7%

he beat de la hoya 2 fights ago...ofcourse he'd say that.
  21. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.82%

Quote Originally Posted by PumpingIron View Post
    he beat de la hoya 2 fights ago...ofcourse he'd say that.

didnt know that?

anyone in here ever box? I used to five years ago. Wish I had my videos so i could post them but my ex-boxing trainer doesnt know where they got to after he moved.

also done two matches recently.(This was MMa fighting but we were having a boxing day, not a real crowd fight fight but we went at it just about 100%, so it was a real intense fight) lost one , actually it was mma fighting but we were boxing and had to go barefooted and broke my two, thus the opp saw when landed on my toe and knocked me silly. Next fight about a week later I won.

Am more interested in Bodybuilding.
  22. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.97%

I saw this somewhere else:

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

"SHERK CHASING FLOYD It's not unusual when a fighter attends a big match and gets a seat at ringside, hoping to land a fight with the winner of the main event.

It is unusual, however, when that fighter is from a different sport.

But such will be the case Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden when mixed martial artist Sean Sherk, the UFC's lightweight champion, will be ringside to watch Mayweather try to lift the super welterweight boxing title from De La Hoya. "
  23. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.82%

I saw the weigh in. My choice is De la Hoya.
  24. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.7%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Weak A$$ poll, closed 4-21?
    Good Job!
    Doesnt matter anyways, Id much rather watch an MMA lightweith title match. Id compare my interest in boxing vs MMA to my interest in seeing Helle Berry Naked vs Whoopi Goldberg naked. Halle = MMA: bright future, attractive, entertaining and is here for a long time. Whoopi = old, unattractive, about to die off and disappear into oblivion.
    This fight prob will breat Tito Ortiz vs Chuck Liddel in PPV numbers just because it gets ESPN coverage and hype from other BS media outlets like SEE-B.S. ESPN is going to realize they have no choice but to realize that MMA is the far superior and much more dynamic sport. They already semi cover it in their magazine. They acknowledged the PPV ratings are better than recent boxing events, and did an interview with Chuck Liddell. They know MMA is a force, and old boring boxing is dead. Its a matter of time before the media accepts MMA, and its domination as a powerhouse in global sporting events.
  25. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.43%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Halley Berry naked is really the only thing that stands out in your post to me. I'd be sitting ringside with that Mirko Crocop stare and drooling like a kid on a baby food commercial.
  26. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  157 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.22%

Oscar has to go right at mayweather and try to beat him to the body and hope to hurt him and pressure him. I say that because his skill level is not nearly on par with mayweather. I would like Oscar to shut him up but I doubt it will happen.
  27. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.7%

de la hoya does seem confident...really confident...more confident than mayweather.

hmmm...

CNorris, espn carries some ultimate fighting highlights already.
  28. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.3%

Quote Originally Posted by CNorris View Post
    Good Job!
    Doesnt matter anyways, Id much rather watch an MMA lightweith title match. Id compare my interest in boxing vs MMA to my interest in seeing Helle Berry Naked vs Whoopi Goldberg naked. Halle = MMA: bright future, attractive, entertaining and is here for a long time. Whoopi = old, unattractive, about to die off and disappear into oblivion.
    This fight prob will breat Tito Ortiz vs Chuck Liddel in PPV numbers just because it gets ESPN coverage and hype from other BS media outlets like SEE-B.S. ESPN is going to realize they have no choice but to realize that MMA is the far superior and much more dynamic sport. They already semi cover it in their magazine. They acknowledged the PPV ratings are better than recent boxing events, and did an interview with Chuck Liddell. They know MMA is a force, and old boring boxing is dead. Its a matter of time before the media accepts MMA, and its domination as a powerhouse in global sporting events.
    i don't quite get the point of MMA. I've only seen it a few times including Rodja's fight the other day but to me it just looks like it turns into more wrestling/grappling then anything else. Is it anything goes or what?
  29. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.7%

Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    i don't quite get the point of MMA. I've only seen it a few times including Rodja's fight the other day but to me it just looks like it turns into more wrestling/grappling then anything else. Is it anything goes or what?
    that a big part...it's not that fun to watch unless it's at the elite level.

every once in a while you get some good standup...and some good blows on the ground. but once theyre down, they pretty much battle for position or a submission.
  30. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.56%

didnt know that?

anyone in here ever box?
    I'm currently training, not for a match of anything, just for fitness.

Quote Originally Posted by CNorris View Post
    Good Job!
    What can I say? The poll was open long enough for the sharp minded people to get in on the discussion. Anyone else was caught sleeping-their loss. Life is fast.

Anyways, boxing and MMA are two different sports. This was discussed in another thread. Take one, take both or forget about both. It's solely up to the individual. One day, MMA is going to be what boxing is today. It's called the life cycle
  31. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.97%

Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    It's essentially anything goes, but with some rules to keep the fighters safe (like no strikes to the back of the head) and to avoid seeing BS like hairpulling, eye gouging, finger breaking, etc. A good number of fights go the ground, but the groundwork can be really beautiful if you understand it. Check out Karo Parisyan vs. Diego Sanchez, Nick Diaz vs. Diego Sanchez or Karo vs. Diaz for good ground action. Sometimes it's slow too. Some fighters are good strikers with great takedown defense and can keep their fights on the feet like Chuck Liddell or Crocop.

MMA is a really volatile sport. Anything can happen and especially this year, upsets are frequent.
  32. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.26%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I used to box and do MMA up until a few years ago. I mainly trained in western boxing, muay thai kickboxing, jeet kune do, wing chun kung fu, brazilian jiu jitsu/japanese shoot fighting, pencak silot and I also took tae kwon do when I was a kid.

It was a lot of fun, it got me into Great shape, and I met a LOT of really cool people.. I'm getting old now but I hope to feel close to 100% enough to get back into it soon...

didnt know that?

anyone in here ever box? I used to five years ago. Wish I had my videos so i could post them but my ex-boxing trainer doesnt know where they got to after he moved.

also done two matches recently.(This was MMa fighting but we were having a boxing day, not a real crowd fight fight but we went at it just about 100%, so it was a real intense fight) lost one , actually it was mma fighting but we were boxing and had to go barefooted and broke my two, thus the opp saw when landed on my toe and knocked me silly. Next fight about a week later I won.

Am more interested in Bodybuilding.
  33. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.64%

HBO's 24/7 episodes on the behind the scenes on these two have be very interesting. IMO, Oscar's as ready as he can be, he and Freddie Roach have prepared an excellent gameplan of stiff superior reach jabbing and circling away and interior muscling with bodywork, the hardest part for DLH will be to offset the ultra dangerous mid range where Mayweather's blazing handspeed is a killer.

War Oscar!, but I would'nt bet on it. Mayweather is a freak, a punk who's a genetic natural born killer; Oscar's smarts may not be enough to offset Floyd's superior athleticism.

An aside to this, this is a great event, wether it's dud fight or not, but these spectacles are too few and far between for Boxing to hold off MMA's future dominance. The Boxing snobs in the media are clutching false hope, MMA is the very soon to be king of combat sports.
  34. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.82%

didnt get to see it. who won..
  35. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.7%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Goddamn Im glad I didnt pay a dime to watch that boring piece of trash of a sporting even. **** boxing. Id rather watch the worst MMA fight ever than any boxing match.
  36. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.73%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

ahhhh could you tell us what happened?

CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade
  37. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.7%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by CROWLER View Post
    ahhhh could you tell us what happened?

CROWLER
    ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports, front page spoiler, although there is nothing to spoil. It was worthless.
  38. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.63%

Yeah I got it on PPV

It was frustrating to watch, because I wanted De La Hoya to win, but he was not being consistent. He was deffinately the aggressor for at least 3/4ths of the fight, but he would never really follow up on his initial attacks.

He would corner mayweather against the ropes and begin a barrage of blows but then just suddenly let up, not because mayweather was countering, but just being overly cautious. Additionally, Oscar would often take too long to strike, he seemed to be thinking too much, over analyzing, and in those times mayweather would just get a jab in. Over time all of mayweathers jabs just kept building up, chipping away at Oscar. Even in the final three rounds it was hard to watch because Oscar really just needed to go all out and try to get a KO but he wouldn't only really in the final 10 seconds of the 12th did he really just unleash, and that is something he should have done at the start of the 11th or 12th. I didn't feel this event was worth the extreme hype, there were some good moments, but overall I felt let down.

Also want to add, even though Oscar was the aggressor and mayweather hopping and weaving around on defense most of the fight, I felt a lot of the punches Oscar threw were not THAT effective in slowing down Mayweather, I think Mayweather look suprised and even scared a few times but often he would havea smile on his face after a wave of punches , taunting Oscar.
  39. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.82%

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Tolerance View Post
    I used to box and do MMA up until a few years ago. I mainly trained in western boxing, muay thai kickboxing, jeet kune do, wing chun kung fu, brazilian jiu jitsu/japanese shoot fighting, pencak silot and I also took tae kwon do when I was a kid.

It was a lot of fun, it got me into Great shape, and I met a LOT of really cool people.. I'm getting old now but I hope to feel close to 100% enough to get back into it soon...
    Jeet kune do, is this Bruce Lee's style wher its not a way of fighting but rather a concept where you take what works for you, wherever it may come from?
  40. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.82%

Sorry to hear. If it was a good fight it would have did boxing good. Hopefully they'll be a incredible upcoming fight in boxing.
    Maybe Klitcho can make boxing a more popular sport. Whether it goes out of style or not it is fun and enjoyable. Not the fighting but the rymthm , feel you get in ythe ring..its a certain tempo, beat boom baa boo boom to it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCasino View Post
    Yeah I got it on PPV

It was frustrating to watch, because I wanted De La Hoya to win, but he was not being consistent. He was deffinately the aggressor for at least 3/4ths of the fight, but he would never really follow up on his initial attacks.

He would corner mayweather against the ropes and begin a barrage of blows but then just suddenly let up, not because mayweather was countering, but just being overly cautious. Additionally, Oscar would often take too long to strike, he seemed to be thinking too much, over analyzing, and in those times mayweather would just get a jab in. Over time all of mayweathers jabs just kept building up, chipping away at Oscar. Even in the final three rounds it was hard to watch because Oscar really just needed to go all out and try to get a KO but he wouldn't only really in the final 10 seconds of the 12th did he really just unleash, and that is something he should have done at the start of the 11th or 12th. I didn't feel this event was worth the extreme hype, there were some good moments, but overall I felt let down.

Also want to add, even though Oscar was the aggressor and mayweather hopping and weaving around on defense most of the fight, I felt a lot of the punches Oscar threw were not THAT effective in slowing down Mayweather, I think Mayweather look suprised and even scared a few times but often he would havea smile on his face after a wave of punches , taunting Oscar.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Pacquiao vs de la hoya?
    By riskerz in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-04-2009, 09:25 PM
  2. Manny Pacquiao vs. Oscar De La Hoya
    By flobot in forum MMA
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-08-2008, 10:04 PM
  3. Mayweather vs. De La Hoya
    By exnihilo in forum MMA
    Replies: 3