Saban/Bama - why I'm rooting for them to FAIL

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Alrighty folks. I've not seen any discusson on herrrre of Mr. Snake Oil salesman himself.

We've got a good crowd here IMO. Let's talk about it.

My take is this - Bama has just raised the average coaching salary to an incredibly high level.
And knowing that my team, Miami, absolutely DOES NOT have the money to compete with basically any top 25 state school or ND - I'm hoping Saban crashes and burns at Bama.
Maybe then, schools will think twice about just throwing a sh*t-ton of money at a coach to solve their problems with the football team.

Thoughts?

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I know this, Tressel isn't even in the top ten of highest paid coaches. With a win on Monday, in the last five years he'd have 2 nc's, 4 BCS Bowl wins (5 bowl wins alltogether), 3 Big 10 titles, and 4 Michigan wins. Now with this Saban deal, where does that leave coaches like Petey and Tressel?

I think Bama and Saban are a nice arrogant fit for each other, but they just screwed the system for everyone. Athletic departments are under investigation as it is for paying coaches enormous amounts of money to coach a non-profit team. The schools must justify paying the coaches these salaries while the athletic department declares non-profit status to the IRS. Most schools make no revenue from their atheltic programs, and only a few profit at all off of men's football and/or men's basketball (the only two sports in college that make any profit at all).

lilkev42

lilkev42

Awards
  • Established
I cant really say Im surprised about the amount of money being thrown around. I was surprised that they guarenteed all $32 million. But now the only way struggling teams will get a decent coach is through their system or picking an unknown, because not many teams can throw out that much money on a big head coach. I think it was bound to happen.

I am just glad no one is making a big deal about what he said. There are tons of coaches out there that do that. And if he said he was leaving, the Dolphin players would have quit and disrespected him. So he had to cover himself, even if it did mean lie.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I think Bama and Saban are a nice arrogant fit for each other, but they just screwed the system for everyone. Athletic departments are under investigation as it is for paying coaches enormous amounts of money to coach a non-profit team. The schools must justify paying the coaches these salaries while the athletic department declares non-profit status to the IRS. Most schools make no revenue from their atheltic programs, and only a few profit at all off of men's football and/or men's basketball (the only two sports in college that make any profit at all).
The investigation seemed to be what someone with the NCAA said on some article (I think on ESPN - but I can't find it now - may be elsewhere, I've read tooooooo many articles this weekend).

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I am just glad no one is making a big deal about what he said. There are tons of coaches out there that do that. And if he said he was leaving, the Dolphin players would have quit and disrespected him. So he had to cover himself, even if it did mean lie.
Don't tell that to Dan LeBatard on PTI (or Don Shula for that matter).
Saban got ROASTED by them both for being a liar.
I mean ROASTED.
As well he should. No integrity whatsoever.

lilkev42

lilkev42

Awards
  • Established
No integrity whatsoever.
I do agree with that to a point, but then again you have to call out tons and tons of other coaches for that. So to me its just nothing these days. I dont listen to them until I read that they actually signed a contract.

Saban, Franchione, Petrino, Meyer, Tuberville all to name some recent ones.

size

Awards
  • Established
Saban was an idiot for leaving LSU. He was on the verge of building one of the best programs in the country that could have consistently stayed on top.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
size: I definitely agree with you on him leaving LSU.

IMO Saban can be volunerable to recruiting major talent. If I were a blue chip All-American why would I follow a coach who has lied his a$$ off ? Why would I go there when I can go to a place that has a quality and committed coaching staff like Cal, USC, Texas, Ohio St., Oklahoma, Florida, or Auburn.