Let's Discuss the Noles - Long Term

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Did anyone catch Bowden's comments after the Wake Forest drubbing?

He basically disparaged every Nole fan, the FSU administration (school pres), and everyone else.
Said he'd keep his son Jeff as Offensive Coordinator and that he'd hire him again if he had to do it all over with.

:fool2:

The Noles have been in a slide since 2000. This is the 6th straight year with 3 or more losses.
Bowden doesn't get "it". (That he's a bad head coach these days and that his son is a moron OC.)

I think FSU will continue to be bad until Bowden dies - becuase I just don't see the FSU admin's having the balls to force him to resign.
(And he clearly won't resign on his own after last night.)

Thoughts on the Nolies??

gators52

gators52

Awards
  • Established
From what I've heard a lot of their recruits come to FSU b/c of Bobby Bowden, FSU despite not playing well, brings in a top recruting class each year. His son has to go, changes need to be made, maybe some of the other coaches need to go too. I also dont think they will fire Bowden, b/c despite the last few years the fans are still behind him.

Also the main reason why they have sucked is b/c they haven't had a QB in a while. Chris Rix regressed, Drew W. is regressing, I thought Lee was going to step up but he had a bad game the other night. Who ever is coaching those QB's need to be fired and never hired by anyone again. If they had an above average QB anytime during this decade things would be much different.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Definately agreed on the QB coach.

I think their problem is the same as ours. They go to Rivals.com and find out who the 4/5 star kids are - and only recruit those, not fitting into the FSU system be damned.
Both programs right now are not developing players. The kids that come in that are good enough are sucessful (Sean Taylor/Antonio Cromartie) - but those that need some coaching aren't (Kyle Wright/Drew Weatherford/X Lee).

For me - it can't come soon enough when the Noles are back (obviously that goes w/o saying for UM).
I'd rather have those HUGE FSU-UM games of the past when one of us was #1 or 2 and the other was in the top 5.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bowden said in the press conference last night that they'd just lost to Virginia.:blink: I think he and most of the coaching staff need to go. When a coach is unsuccessful for a long period of time, he needs to go. Legend or not, I don't see FSU ever being a TOP program again with the Bowdens running the show.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I've said it before, NC head coaches do not get fired outside of controversy (Woody, Barry Switzer). Bowdern either dies or retires. (Coker is in another class all together)

lilkev42

lilkev42

Awards
  • Established
First off I was one of the few FSU fans that thought it wasn't just Jeff Bowden. Over the year we have played 17 true freshmen, when only about 3-4 were supposed to see anytime on the field in the first place. Injuries have killed us this year, (Weatherford, Carter, Fagg, Warren, Nicholson, Hayes, Houllis, Thaxton, just to name a few who have missed at least a game). Our offensive line looks horrible every game, and turning to Lee wasnt going to help much. As we all saw ALL 3 GAMES he was horribly inaccurate. He just throws it as hard as he can every pass and doesnt know what touch is. I dont know why everyone got caught up in a game he didnt even win, and UVA was won on defense. But after last night(and standing in the rain for the game) and not putting up any points on a Wake Forest team that we are better than makes me wonder about the coaches. Gators is right, since Weinke we havnt had a QB that actually improves. Weatherford/Sexton/Rix/Lee all havnt improved game to game or year to year. Bowden isnt going anywhere, doubt Jeff is either. Im guessing nothing changes and we just try to get healthy and try again next year. We have a top 10 defense when healthy, and an offense that can get by with our defense. Especially if the ACC doesnt turn it around.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Yeah - but you guys played a ton of true frosh last year, eh??

lilkev42

lilkev42

Awards
  • Established
Yeah last year we had an injury plague season too. But this year we only had 1-2 freshmen starting, with only 1-2 more coming off the bench regularly(im sure more would come in but worked in not thrown into the mix). And now we are up to 17.

Kris4153

Kris4153

Awards
  • Established
This year and last year the noles have been plagued by injuries! Fist play of the WF game Surrat (sp? idk) got injured! :wtf:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Alas - that will be the excuse that keeps Bowden going entirely too long.

That and stuff like "2005 Orange Bowl Contenders" - ain't that right Kris? ;)

Kris4153

Kris4153

Awards
  • Established
Alas - that will be the excuse that keeps Bowden going entirely too long.

That and stuff like "2005 Orange Bowl Contenders" - ain't that right Kris? ;)
Hmmmm bb.com :icon_lol:

lilkev42

lilkev42

Awards
  • Established
"2005 Orange Bowl Contenders"
I think that actually hurt FSU more than it helped, because it gave false hope. Its just an excuse people can use to give him credit, I dont mind if Bobby stays(I think he deserves to make his own decision to step down) but we do need some other changes in the coaching.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I totally agree Kev.

I tried to make that point to Kris - but he wouldn't listen.

It was similar to our win over the Gates in the 2005 Peach. We beat a coachless team - big whup. Meanwhile - we had 3 freaking losses.
Yet Coker was given a 3 year extension.

(Que the voodoo doll...)

Kris4153

Kris4153

Awards
  • Established
I tried to make that point to Kris - but he wouldn't listen.
WTF are you talking about. Thats in my sig from bb.com, so how did you make a point from quoting me? I dont want Bowden to coach and im not trying to make excuses for my teams poor performance.

Kris4153

Kris4153

Awards
  • Established
Ain't Karma a *****?

You have past celebrate the humilating defeat of others, Kris, and then cry foul when your team is currently declared known to all dog**** bad.

The difference?, others don't intentionally rub your face in it, even when it's fair due payback.
WOW you want to know something? FSU sucks this year. Last year they were better so what? What Karma you dumbass?

FSU has a lot of injured players and the coaching is getting worse every game. It needs fixed--Yes I know as well as everyone else that watch them play. But the funny thing of it all is Miami still lost to FSU. Did I rub that in after the first game. You bet your sweet little titties I did. Did I say we would win out or go to another bowl game or anything like that? NO! Whos "crying foul"? Im allowed to have an opinion on my own team FFS. I dont care if anyone tells me the Noles suck because I agree with them, but I still support my team and dont back out when it gets bad.

BTW my second favorite team--the team I was born and raised watching--is kicking ass! Ya know the Buckeyes, Miami's best friend.

lilkev42

lilkev42

Awards
  • Established
Jeff Bowden resigned today.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida State offensive coordinator Jeff Bowden is stepping down.

He resigned Tuesday, just three days after the Seminoles were shut out for the first time in 233 games.

Athletic director David Hart Jr. says the resignation will be effective at the end of this season.

Bowden, the youngest son of Florida State head coach Bobby Bowden, replaced now-Georgia head coach Mark Richt as the Seminoles' offensive coordinator in 2001.

Florida State has its homecoming game Saturday against Western Michigan followed by the season finale on Nov. 25 against intrastate rival Florida.

Bobby Bowden has stood by his son's performance as offensive coordinator despite a notable decline in scoring and yardage gained in the past half-dozen seasons.

The school had skirted a nepotism policy by having the younger Bowden report to another coach on the staff other than his father.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

ESPN.com - NCF - Florida State offensive coordinator Bowden to resign

Kris4153

Kris4153

Awards
  • Established
Jeff Bowden resigned today.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida State offensive coordinator Jeff Bowden is stepping down.

He resigned Tuesday, just three days after the Seminoles were shut out for the first time in 233 games.

Athletic director David Hart Jr. says the resignation will be effective at the end of this season.

Bowden, the youngest son of Florida State head coach Bobby Bowden, replaced now-Georgia head coach Mark Richt as the Seminoles' offensive coordinator in 2001.

Florida State has its homecoming game Saturday against Western Michigan followed by the season finale on Nov. 25 against intrastate rival Florida.

Bobby Bowden has stood by his son's performance as offensive coordinator despite a notable decline in scoring and yardage gained in the past half-dozen seasons.

The school had skirted a nepotism policy by having the younger Bowden report to another coach on the staff other than his father.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

ESPN.com - NCF - Florida State offensive coordinator Bowden to resign
HOLY ****ING **** IS THIS FOR REAL? I CANT BELIEVE MY EYES!!! Is it Christmas already?

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :bruce3: :bruce3: :bruce3: :bruce3: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :djparty: :djparty: :djparty: :djparty: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :wave: :wave: :wave: :FUfinger: :FUfinger: :FUfinger: :FUfinger: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Kris - you had it in your sig here.

I laughed at your for it.

If you think a 5 loss season is good - I don't know what to say about you. You celebrated a bowl loss. Wow - just wow.
You must not remember much about that run of 9 straight years finishing in the top 5.

You can make fun of Miami and talk down all you f*cking want. Who gives a flying f*ck if you guys win a meaningless opening game. FSU and Miami both have 5 losses - neither should talk any smack.
If your program was THE dynasty of the last 25 years - maybe you'd understand about "expectations".

Good for the Noles that Jeff left. But - Bobby's still there. So - I'm skeptical. We'll see though.
Hopefully Coker is gone by the time we meet in October 2007.

Kris4153

Kris4153

Awards
  • Established
Jeff Bowden receives $537,000 buyout
Associated Press

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida State offensive coordinator Jeff Bowden received a $537,000 buyout from the school's boosters to resign.

The settlement was revealed Wednesday when the school released a copy of the agreement Bowden's attorneys reached with the university and its boosters. The resignation takes effect Nov. 26, a day after the season finale against Florida.

Bowden -- youngest son of head coach Bobby Bowden -- retains his present $141,000 salary until his contract expires next August. He will then receive annual payments of $107,500 until August 2012.

The agreement, dated Nov. 14, was signed by Jeff Bowden, whose legal first name is George, and Andy Miller, president of Seminole Boosters, Inc.

Bowden had been under fire for the past several years as Florida State's offense declined and his dad defended his performance.

But with Bobby Bowden's contract expiring in January of 2008, it was uncertain how the university was willing to negotiate an extension while Jeff Bowden remained on staff.

"It's just amazing," Bobby Bowden said Wednesday. "When things go wrong the first thing they blame is the offensive coordinator. That's kind of the game we Americans play."

ESPN.com - NCF - Money for nothing: Bowden receives $537,000 buyout

They should have just given him a bottle of Jack Daniels and a pistol with only one bullet in it instead!!! :twisted:

I kid, I kid...:thumbsup:

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
The ACC is getting tough. The Noles are in for a long long long dry spell.

Kris4153

Kris4153

Awards
  • Established
If not next year, the year after that should be pretty interesting! But this is too far into the future to foresee anything...

I just love how the Noles arent playing well this year but still shut out Virginia and then Virgina beats Miami. Says a lot about Miami doesnt it!! AHAHAHAHAHAH :twisted:

lilkev42

lilkev42

Awards
  • Established
No offense to Miami but do they just pick the best coaches and claim that they are going to go to miami??? I mean all I hear is Miami is getting this great coach or this one. I know a lot of teams do it, but to me it seems like I hear Miami doing it the most. Perhaps cuz I am also in FL. I just usually ignore all fo that crap and wait until they actually sign someone.

ESPN.com - NCF - Say what? Spurrier says he's not going to Miami

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Not sure what you are saying Kev.

I wouldn't expect Spurrier to say ANYTHING other than what he said. I mean - he's got a game left at USC this season, I think.

Remember that Butch said he wasn't leaving UM a week before he bolted to Cleveland. So - I'm not sure what I believe with coaches and boosters.

We shall see.

Kris - that was an example of why UM will be back before FSU. Y'all will be stuck with Bowden until he dies. He's the majority of the problem IMO.

lilkev42

lilkev42

Awards
  • Established
Not sure what you are saying Kev.

I wouldn't expect Spurrier to say ANYTHING other than what he said. I mean - he's got a game left at USC this season, I think.

Remember that Butch said he wasn't leaving UM a week before he bolted to Cleveland. So - I'm not sure what I believe with coaches and boosters.

We shall see.

Kris - that was an example of why UM will be back before FSU. Y'all will be stuck with Bowden until he dies. He's the majority of the problem IMO.
Im just trying to say that ever since Coker was basically done this year. All I hear is how Miami is attracting all these coaches. And all these coaches seem to be the top in the business right now and also in good situations. I know its all rumors, and Miami certainly isnt the only team that has them. But I dunno if its cuz I get all the FL press, but it all just seems that many people are just throwing out the best coaches in the game right now and saying they are leaving wherever and coming to miami. Not attacking the U, its just rumors.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I don't see reports that anyone is coming per se. I see that folks from The U are interestd and have seen a few reports that certain coaches are interested in coming here.

I've seen alot of names - you are right - but not that they are absoutely coming.

This one seems to be perhaps promising - under the old "where there's smoke..." adage.