2. Adrian Peterson (10%)
3. Chad Henne (9%)
4. Antonio Pittman (seriously) (5%)
5. Brady Quinn
6. Steve Slaton
7. JD Booty B1tch
8. Calvin Johnson
9. Mike Hart
10. Entire Louisville Cardinals' Team, Organization, Papa John's Pizza/Stadium (1%)
11. Urban Meyer*

*Meyer attempts to become the first non player to win the Heisman. He will have to show that it is his system and not the players responsible for SEC Dominance. He will battle Chris Leak who is also trying to help the team win.

gators52

gators52

Awards
  • Established
Out of all those Heisman Canidates Calvin Johnson will by far be the best NFL player...as long as he doesn't flop like Mike Williams (I have to take a shot at USC once and a while haha)

lilkev42

lilkev42

Awards
  • Established
I am rooting for Calvin Johnson, Garret Wolfe and/or Adrian Peterson. Although it looks like Smith is already going to win it unless they lose to Michigan.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Antonio Pittman is so valuable to OSU it's ridiculous

S

size

Awards
  • Established
I think Wolfe deserves to be the #1 candidate for the Heisman

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I'm actually thinking that too at the moment, no joke

S

size

Awards
  • Established
I'm actually thinking that too at the moment, no joke
Think about it. NIU has one weapon, Wolfe. Every team that plays NIU knows this yet he is still able to produce. Sure Horvath is a decent QB but he is not a QB that a team would fear.

So I vote for the little guy.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
nah i hear you, he had more yards agaisnt Ohio State than did the entire Texas RB rotation - and Selvin Young is pretty good, not to mention the Longhorn's line.

ECTOmorph

ECTOmorph

Awards
  • Established
Antonio Pitman for Heisman!?!

wow, thats just wrong

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
In 6 games:
156 carries 1343 yards 13 TDs 8.6 avg.
13catches 162 yards 1 TD

this is insane, excuse me.. Wolfe is amazing

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Antonio Pitman for Heisman!?!

wow, thats just wrong
I don't know why that is so absurd.
He is far more valuable than Ginn Jr who is/was a Heisman candidate.

Ginn is on pace to top his career high: 800 yard season and 4tds.

but he's really really really fast without equipment on

ECTOmorph

ECTOmorph

Awards
  • Established
ginn should have never been in the heisman discussion in the first place...he isnt even the best wr on his own team and never was

pittman is really good and very valuable to osu, but isnt even a top 5 rb

to have him above the likes of brady quinn, steve slaton, garet wolfe, calvin johnson, & mike hart is just nuts

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
agreed, Gonzalez > Ginn.

I'll argue that Pittman has been nearly as valuable as Hart, so far... It's not a strong argument though

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Calvin Johnson followed by Wolfe. I agree w/ what you guys said about him - but NO WAY he wins.

If McGahee didn't win as a soph - ain't no way in f*cking hell Wolfe wins.

BTW - Rouge, do you post anywhere else other than the CFB board on here??? I can't honestly recall seeing you anywhere else on the board...
(Or maybe it's because I'm constantly dreaming of CED/LakeMountD......)

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I'd put Manningham at #2 WR right now.

Is he a soph?
I'm a major fan of this kid's. Have been since the GW Penn St TD - that was AWESOME!!
(I've forgotten what a slant is. We don't run those at The U anymore....)

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Ginn gets the credit for his speed. Nobody really kicks to him anymore to do all that well on special teams. Now, is Ginn good because of Gonzo or is Gonzo good because of Ginn or would they both be good on their own? Ginn has always had talented WR's around him. I don't like the east-west, smear the queer crap he does with the ball sometimes, and I don't know enough football or watch game tapes with different angles during my spare time like I'm sure all the critical so-called experts do to say if he's a bad route-runner or not, but I'm glad he's a Buckeye.

Pittman is the most underrated back in college football and he's good enough too keep the guy that is supposed to make everyone forget Mo C off of the field. He's a better than average back that I am glad to have starting as a Buckeye. I'm still waiting to see why we recruited Mo Wells, or if they're ever going to use his talent correctly.

Troy Smith. Troy Smith is the most valuable offensive player in college football. He's the absolute leader of that team. He's only turned the ball over twice, and Tress is now turning him loose little by little with the long ball and with the feet. IMO, people haven't seen sh!t, so far, with this offense.

lilkev42

lilkev42

Awards
  • Established
I'd put Manningham at #2 WR right now.

Is he a soph?
I'm a major fan of this kid's. Have been since the GW Penn St TD - that was AWESOME!!
(I've forgotten what a slant is. We don't run those at The U anymore....)
Finally I thought I was the only one who remembered him having a pretty good Freshmen season last year. And now its seems like the media is making him come out of nowhere. That also leads me to Henne/Hart heisman campaign. Without Manningham showing he can be a #1 Wideout then Hart would be zeroed on and wouldnt be having the season he is. And Henne is now confident in his Soph WR, so that helps. Which in my opinion shows that this team would not be a top team without all 3 clicking. I also see this problem with Ginn/Smith. Thats why I like Peterson, Calvin and Wolfe as the top runners for the heisman. Just because their teams dont really have the offensive weapons as the others. *not saying any of the others are great players*

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Henne is the only irreplaceable one of those three, losing Hart and/or Manningham would hurt, but not a death blow, UM is deep on RBs and WRs.
This is the point I was trying to make about Troy. I don't think Zwick, or the two young gunslingers we have would take this team where Troy can. I've heard people talk about our great line, the best in years, but I don't see it. We lost Mangold and now have a young guard at center who snaps the shotgun all over the place. Troy is left to create a lot more plays than he should, and there are way too many damned holding penalties (Alex Boone).

The d-line is the backbone of this team, in my opinion. Their play is allowing the LB's to get into position and are why we lead the nation in takeaways. Without this we have a hell of a lot more 17-14 final scores.

gators52

gators52

Awards
  • Established
Lose Branch, Taylor and Woodley from their D, and Michigan is average defensively, currently they are as good overall as anyone in the country.

uhh...you might want to rephrase that and insert some other teams (or half of the SEC)

Allright Lets compare numbers for the hell of it

Henne 1103yards 62.0 comp% 13TD 4INT 160.9 Rating
Leak 1395yards 64.7comp% 14 TD's 5 INT's 163.06 Rating

Leak plays in the SEC, full of great defenses
henne plays in the Big ten, semi known for the defense
henne also has the luxery of a running game

I dont think either are heisman worthy yet, i have to see how the year plays out, but how can you say one is but not the other. I'm Fing tired of the SEC getting no love...this is where smash mouth football takes place and is the way football should be played, except for this spread offense UF runs that i'm still trying to get used to (dont think I ever will)

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I'm Fing tired of the SEC getting no love...this is where smash mouth football takes place and is the way football should be played, except for this spread offense UF runs that i'm still trying to get used to (dont think I ever will)
I hear the same thing from the Big 12 and Big 10 fans. You can throw the current Tuberville crap of the BCS system not being fair because the SEC is too tough to go undefeated in, into the mix of crap I hear from those other two conferences, although the way I heard the old men argue it while growing up was "If you go undefeated in the Big 10, you should win the national title because it's so damned hard to do."

If you're going to complain about no love for the SEC, complain about the having to come from behind to beat MSU after getting trounced by Michigan Domers being voted 8th, and a Tennesse team that whooped on Cal and Georgia and barely lost to Florida being ranked 9th in USA Today.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, that tough SEC D shined bright with that 51-33 Tenn/Georgia game.

gators52

gators52

Awards
  • Established
I give up with you people, you all need to learn more about football. Mich 22-5 vs SEC...first of all that tells us nothing like what teams they beat what they were ranked at the time and how long ago those wins were...what a bad stat. You just can't throw numbers out and hope they mean something.

Also with all your Henne excuses "drop balls...ect" Every QB has receivers that drop balls. Does henne split time with another QB like Leak does? Does Henne play in the SEC? Does henne have to worry about droping the entire defense into converage b/c he has no running game like Leak? Leak has more TD's despite being replaced half the time they go into the redzone. Neither of them are heisman worthy, you people need to stop drinking the kool-aid of your favoite teams. I go to UF and i'm sitting here telling u Leak isn't a canidate...man up , put the kool-aid down grab some water (we all know thats better for you anyways)

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I love for Chris Leak to win the Heisman but I just can't see a QB who does not take 98% of his team's snaps winning this award. He accounted for 0 touchdowns against LSU and probably is not the red-zone QB at his point.

to me, throw all the stats out and focus mainly on performances in big games. I am saying Troy Smith is up by about 1 or 1.5 on Chad Henne. Texas (1), Penn State (.5) and Iowa (1). Henne has (1) for Notre Dame and can make up ground with the upcoming Penn State and Iowa games. If Michigan wins those and does not slip up..

edit: If we want to throw Leak in there, I say he has 1 decisive quality win.. At Tennessee. So he is tied in my numbers game with Henne.

The Heisman might be won on November 18 in the Horseshoe.
Only and Only if Ohio State loses, will Troy Smith not win the Heisman

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I love how West Virginia's Coach said they needed to prove they were legit - so they scheduled Mississippi state. Guess that answers all the questions about West Virginia. screw them, trash

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
just thought of something: Brady Quinn still hasn't won a big game in his entire career. OH wait, they almost beat USC. That's a wonderful resume.

Syracuse over West Virginia this weekend. 25.5 underdogs at Morgantown, where the fans are too drunk and physically out of shape to make noise

gators52

gators52

Awards
  • Established
In terms of defense I dont think they compare to the top SEC defenses. In terms of the overall team I think OSU and Mich are just as good and probably better than most top SEC teams.

I used to watch B10 games a lot, my entire family is Iowa fans, so I've always watched and been insterested in that conference. All the trash talk I get from my unlces about B10 just reminds me of how overeated I think that conference is year in and year out. Thats not to say their aren't good teams, i just think that each year it usually has about 2 good teams and everyone else is just middle of the pack or a bottom feeder.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
the best defenses of the SEC and Big10 are 'different' and it really depends on the opposition to say who is 'better'.

At Ohio State, the outside linebackers weigh close up 245lbs and are geared to stoping the rush up the middle and near the tackles.

In the SEC, outside linebacker is generally called 'weakside linebacker' and that player looks more like a safety. He needs to be able to drop into zones quickly and probably required to run to with slot reciever at certain points in the game. He isn't really a run stopper, but rather a 'sweeper' like player. Auburn didn't have a linebacker that weighed over 220lbs according to their Fall prospectus.

Florida's defense would not be as successful if transplanted into the Big 10.. and I feel Ohio State's D-Line would have a problems getting to the SEC Quarterback who is shotgun for half the game and the linebackers could not run with the 3rd and 4th wideouts. It's just a hard comparsion.. so we'll agree to take USC's defense.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
On paper, at the beginning of the year - I thought Penn State had the best Defense in the country.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Can't we all just get along???
(Well - all but me and the OSU* guys. :icon_lol: )

Let's see a hot chick - that'll help everything.

(I'm planning on taking her home when I can find out who it is. Just gotta make sure I don't tell Ubi....)

Rogue,
About that Mich record...what was the outcome the last time UM played UM?
Hint - I think you were near the end of your tenure in college...
I was under 10 years of age... :D

Since I'm sorta the guy in the middle here - being that I merely attending an SEC school and don't root for them, I'll comment.

I'd agree with what Gators said - the B10 seems to have 1-2 top teams per year while the middle is pretty blah (barely top 20 teams if you will). Whereas the SEC's middle is stronger, I think. However, the top of the SEC isn't always ranked as high because they do beat up on each other more often. I think the SEC has more parity (and will continue to with the likes of Spurrier going to a bad S. Carolina team and making them better) than the B10. (Apart from the annual OSU* "choke" job - see Jim Sorgi.)

I also agree w/ Rouge in that the B10 is moving towards an SEC type of mentality. I mean, they are now going after kids in the south w/ speed. Look at Santonio Holmes - from Miami's backyard.
I think the B10 will become more like the SEC (although not with the depth in the middle of the conference I think) in the next few years as they get away from the "we only recruit the core Midwesterners" mentality (which I never understood).

I'd like to think Miami pushed the "speed is king" aspect unto the rest of the country in the early/mid 80's. (I think the '84 Orange Bowl changed at least Tom Osbourne's mind forever.)

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
We don't need any fatties. We've got enough of those guys that can't play more than a play without needing a tank of O2.

We've had success getting OL's outta TX. Hopefull that pipeline can keep up. We can't compete in the midwest for OL's it seems.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Michigan and OSU recruit nationally, the other B10's have a less broad appeal. I'll trade you, JMH, more Florida speedy "Skill " players for the Midwest fat and slow OLs y'all should be targeting.
Actually, Tress recruits less nationall than Cooper. He's done a pretty good job on putting a wall around Ohio for recruiting. He fills needs here and there with out of state guys, but even then most of them have Ohio connections. But yes, the main stereotype for southern recruits is speed.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Pete Carroll said: The only time USC will recruit out of California is when they are nearly certain that the player will be a 1st round draft pick (or the potential to achieve such).

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Carroll is an idiot. He was all over Kyle Wright - said he was one of the best QB's he'd seen in high school.

That shows ya that Carroll is THE SAME as Coker...both are idiots.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Yeah - I agree about UofI.

Zook is a good recruiter though.
It's just a Chinese fire drill on his sideline come game day....

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Carroll is an idiot. He was all over Kyle Wright - said he was one of the best QB's he'd seen in high school.

That shows ya that Carroll is THE SAME as Coker...both are idiots.
only one has only 1 loss in 4years though
Pete Carroll i think?

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
When that wave of top notch talent moves on - you'll see CED. Just like Coker - it took a few years for people to realize.

Maybe I'm wrong. But - he was TERRIBLE in the NFL.

(BTW - more than one loss, eh? Loss to Cal in '03 and Texas last season - right? I know they had 2-3 in '02 - at least I think. They weren't close to the top when we played OSU* in the Fiesta that year. That would have been 4 years ago.)

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
JHM, of course when your best players graduate you will take a hit.. USC is replacing those players... Just like Miami 'reloaded' during 2000-2002. That is my point.

USC has true freshman all over the field and a 1st year starter at QB. They are undefeated.

Why is it every year USC graduates players to the NFL, Pete Carroll is instantly questioned? I don't think he has anything to prove at this point. When Booty graduates and Sanchez is the starter, USC will instantly be not as good anymore. THey just keep winning.

In fairness though, USC gets nearly all the best west coast recruits. Miami has to complete in state with UF and FSU. Coker is definitely ruining the recruiting for the next few years.

Miami's problem is a lack of leadership I feel. Guys like Ken Dorsey and Ed Reed would NEVER let a team just quit. Miami is just a bunch of thugs looking to get to the NFL. Comparing Merriweather to Ed Reed is a joke. They need guys like Reed and Dorsey to keep the egos in line. Coker can't do it.

Talent and street credibility can only take a team so far. Eventually you need leadership

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Joaquin Gonzalez was the quiet leader in 2001. Reed was just more vocal.

But - I do agree.

I think this class will be special. The kids we get will actually want to play FOR Miami. Not just wanting to go "to da league".

Our problem is that Coker recruits based on stars - not getting kids that fit the system. (Speaking of - he doesn't even have a system.)

(Unfortuneatly - I think even Kenny himself couldn't fire up the team in the Fiasco Bowl. I can't help but think that game wouldn't have been nearly that close had SOMEONE other than Winslow came to play.)

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I feel bad for Peterson. The first game his dad gets to watch ends in a "freak" injury.

He's gone to the NFL anyway.

S

size

Awards
  • Established
Scratch Adrian Peterson, for sure, and Garrett Wolfe, 25 yards on 18 carries, off the list?
I think Wolfe may be done after that poor performance. Only hope he has is to gain 250+ yards against Iowa.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Even that probaby isn't enough Size - Iowa getting beat by IU would dampen a big game by Wolfe, IMO.

lilkev42

lilkev42

Awards
  • Established
Scratch Adrian Peterson, for sure, and Garrett Wolfe, 25 yards on 18 carries, off the list?
I hated to see that happen to Adrain Peterson, he really hasnt gotten to prove himself since his freshmen year. I mean no one can deny he is a great RB, but he hasnt had another full injury free season to dominate. And Wolfe really cant keep up his 262 a game cuz who else are they going to zone on. They dont have the passing game or o line to protect him every game. No other RB has that much pressure on him to be this good. But thats what happens when you average 200+ yards a game. If Wolfe cant keep it up my pick goes to Slaton. I guess I just dont want Troy Smith to win, even though I hate to say it, but hes having a great year.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I now declare my stupid Heisman pick to be Hawaii's Colt Brennan.

ECTOmorph

ECTOmorph

Awards
  • Established
Heisman will come down to Quinn and Smith. Guarentee it

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Quinn may get some ND votes, but I think he gives up the ball too much, and I can see ND losing another game or two before the end.

ECTOmorph

ECTOmorph

Awards
  • Established
What do you mean by gives the ball up too much?

Your right about the big games though. Smith vs Michigan. Quinn vs USC. Should be some fun games to watch and heisman hopes will be riding on em. Its Smiths to lose

gators52

gators52

Awards
  • Established
Who's the single best player in CFB? I don't know, it's a year without dominators like Bush, Young and Leinart, Smith wins out if the Bucks do on 11/18.
Agreed, I think he wins by default if the team wins out and he plays decently. He's a good college player, but not a great one like many of the past heismans have been.

ECTOmorph

ECTOmorph

Awards
  • Established
He's not particularly prone to turning over the ball, but he is 45% more likely to throw an Int per pass atttemp than Troy Smith.

thats not right

he has thrown the ball quite a bit more than smith and only has 1 or 2 more pics