NFL player shot by off-duty police officer

1. Registered User
    Answers

Post NFL player shot by off-duty police officer

NFL player shot by off-duty police officer

(CNN) -- The San Diego Chargers' Steve Foley was shot Sunday by an off-duty policeman who had followed him to his home after noticing Foley's car driving erratically, a sheriff's investigator in San Diego, California, said.

The 30-year-old, nine-year NFL veteran was shot twice; his wounds are not believed to be life-threatening, said San Diego Sheriff's Department Lt. Dennis Brugos.

The shooting came less than a week after the 6-foot, 4-inch, 265-pound linebacker was cleared on charges stemming from a scuffle with police in April. (Watch Brugos, neighbors recount events -- 1:42)

The Coronado police officer, who was driving an unmarked car and was about 20 miles outside his jurisdiction, told investigators he started following Foley's car after he saw it about 10 miles north of San Diego on Interstate 15 northbound "weaving in lanes, traveling at speeds of between 30 and 90 mph and nearly colliding with several other vehicles on the highway."

After Foley left the expressway, the officer pulled next to the ballplayer at a red light and identified himself as a police officer, Brugos said.

When the officer ordered Foley to pull his car over, the linebacker initially drove off before stopping "after a short distance," getting out of his car and walking toward the officer, Brugos said.

At that, the police officer pulled out his handgun and verbally identified himself, warning Foley to stop walking toward him, the investigator said.

"That's a BB gun," Brugos said Foley told him.

Foley then stopped his advance, returned to his car and pulled away, driving at least two more miles before stopping on Travertine Court, the upper-class street where he lives, Brugos said.

The officer said Foley again got out of his car and walked toward him, while his passenger -- Lisa Maree Gaut -- drove alongside him in the car.

"As the suspect approached, the officer again identified himself as a police officer and that his gun was real," the police statement said.

To prove it, the officer said he fired one warning shot into bushes and two shots toward the sky.

"The male suspect reached into his pants with his right hand as he approached the officer," the police statement said. "The officer then fired at the suspect. The suspect acknowledged that he had been shot, but continued toward the officer, who then fired again at him. This time the suspect fell to the ground."

Foley was taken to Sharp Memorial Hospital, where his wounds were not considered life-threatening, Brugos said.

His companion was taken into custody for questioning, police said.

"This investigation is continuing, and it is unknown at this time what charges may be filed in this matter," said Brugos.

In April, police accused Foley of being belligerent after he complained about his illegally parked car being towed in San Diego. Charges were dropped last month.

The Chargers open their season September 11 against the Oakland Raiders.

Find this article at:
    CNN.com - NFL player shot by off-duty police officer - Sep 4, 2006

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Answers

Foley is lucky to be alive, he could have killed himself or the cop could have done it for him. Driving from 30 to 90 mph on the highway = drunk azz driver. Cops have nothing but my respect, that's a thankless job where you are always a target fpr punk cowards too
  3. Registered User
    Answers

Question a cop never lies

I dont beleive everything a cop says.Just cause a cops says it dont make it so. What was the cop doing out of his jurisdiction?Was he one of the cops that Foley had an altercation with before?Why would a cop fire his weapon three times (warning shots??)?Where is the cops Backup?Where does it mention in the post that he was drunk??Not saying the cops lied but im saying i dont believe every cop!
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Warrior
    Foley is lucky to be alive, he could have killed himself or the cop could have done it for him. Driving from 30 to 90 mph on the highway = drunk azz driver. Cops have nothing but my respect, that's a thankless job where you are always a target fpr punk cowards too
    I have respect for cops who aren't dirty but we all know that alot of them are dirty. This story seems suspicious to me I want to hear the rest of the story, the real one not the police spun story.PLUS I'M A CHARGERS FAN AND WE NEED STEVE FOLEY!! DAMN TRIGGER HAPPY COP.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

From what I understand he was given 3 warning shots which is unheard of...Either that's one gemerous cop or one poor shot who played it off by saying it was a warning shot...

Either way it is too soon to tell with too little details to make an informed opinion on what actually happened.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKNUTS
    I have respect for cops who aren't dirty but we all know that alot of them are dirty. This story seems suspicious to me I want to hear the rest of the story, the real one not the police spun story.PLUS I'M A CHARGERS FAN AND WE NEED STEVE FOLEY!! DAMN TRIGGER HAPPY COP.
    I guess I agree with the cop because if I were a cop I'd shoot first and ask questions later

It soounds like he was given a fair warning and didn't comply. The cop did go out of his jurisdiction but he did the right thing and I don't care what the law says.

BTW, 49ers 23-14 over your Lightning Bolts last week
  7. Gate Keeper
    Answers

Sounds like bs to me. Cops aren't even allowed to fire warning shots in the air anymore.
  8. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jminis
    Sounds like bs to me. Cops aren't even allowed to fire warning shots in the air anymore.
    Totally agreed. No cops fire warning shots into the air, much less into the bushes. You only draw down if you're going to use it. Speaking of, the guy was only wounded, and it was non-life threatening? Cops will put two into your body cavity at that point, they wouldn't risk a leg/shoulder shot.

I call BS.
  9. Running with the Big Boys
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jminis
    Agreed ..There is no "warning shot" in police training. You shoot to protect citizens from eachother when there is no other choice. warning shots waste bullets which both cost the tax payer money, increase the likelyhood of innocent bystander body count and are needed for future police enforcement.
    ..What if the cop did not drop him with his clip,...he sure would be missing those warning bullets!!..I see a repremand in his future.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Answers

*Off duty cop, out of his jurisdiction, follows irratic driver, *pulls driver over identifiying himself as a police officer, then continues persuit to Steve Foley's address at which point to prove his gun is real "The officer said he fired one warning shot into bushes and two shots toward the sky." So...what the **** were the two shots toward the sky if they weren't warning shots? Attempts at bringing down a plane?
    To finish it up he shoots Foley when he put his hand into his pocket and then decides he'd better shoot him twice. I'm thinking it doesn't take two bullets to put a drunk on his ass.

From that news report the officer sounds like a damn vigilante. He should've reported it and let those with the jurisdiction handle the situation.
    *He's an off duty cop, he shouldn't be pulling people over identifying himself as a police officer.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Cookie, off duty cops in a lot of jurisdictions are required to still act in the capactity of law enforcement or can face serious punishment. Many places have MOI's for concurrent jurisdiction if a chase starts in one are and ends in another.

then some places will now allow pursuit at all.
  12. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    Cookie, off duty cops in a lot of jurisdictions are required to still act in the capactity of law enforcement or can face serious punishment. Many places have MOI's for concurrent jurisdiction if a chase starts in one are and ends in another.

yeah but he was in an unmarked car in civillian clothes it's very possible Foley did not believe he was a cop at all, especially since the cop said Foley told him "that's a bb gun" anyone can buy fake badges etc. and pose as a cop.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk

Well that's just f'ed up, I could understand him following Foleys car and reporting the situation but to go as far as pulling him over and then later shooting him? Doesn't seem the right way to handle it to me.
  14. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Warrior
    I guess I agree with the cop because if I were a cop I'd shoot first and ask questions later

It soounds like he was given a fair warning and didn't comply. The cop did go out of his jurisdiction but he did the right thing and I don't care what the law says.

BTW, 49ers 23-14 over your Lightning Bolts last week
    you know as well as I do preseason doesn't count,but hey if I were a Niners fan I would be happy with preseason wins too. My wife bought me NFL sunday ticket for Christmas last year and I am getting Sundays off for football season so for the first time ever I will be able to watch all 16 Chargers games this year
  15. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Ziricote
    Well that's just f'ed up, I could understand him following Foleys car and reporting the situation but to go as far as pulling him over and then later shooting him? Doesn't seem the right way to handle it to me.
    I agree this clown fired three "warning shots" and then shot Foley three times,thats six shots fired in a residential area Dirty Harry has nothing on this guy.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKNUTS
    I agree this clown fired three "warning shots" and then shot Foley three times,thats six shots fired in a residential area Dirty Harry has nothing on this guy.
    LMFAO
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-17-2009, 09:34 PM
  2. Former NFL Player talks about past steroid use
    By PastorofMuppets in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-04-2005, 02:30 PM
  3. Anybody know...Cuffs, any other police officers?
    By LCSULLA in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-24-2004, 05:49 PM
  4. 2 detroit police officers shot and killed...
    By good_guye28 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 03:47 PM
  5. NFL Player Busted for Distributing AAS
    By YellowJacket in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-16-2003, 02:27 AM