ESPN's "Make a Wish" Program

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Just wanted to say this program is awesome!!
:clap2:

Kudos to ESPN and the athletes.
Today, I saw Roger Clemens (noted a-hole) show a 15 yr old kid (pitcher himself) with cancer (I forget which kind) how to throw a few pitches properly (sinker, curve, and fastballs).

Awesome stuff!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That stuff is cool as hell. They had one recently that allowed a kid to be a super hero and they had role players do a whole villan and crime etc. It was put on like a live action comic book.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I didn't see that one. Will have to go view it on their web site.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Is Rocket a noted a-hole? Media seems to protect him from, you know, that supplement thing..

The very first one with The Eagles was good and the Rockies fan from Wyoming too. Todd Helton did a very good job. It is hard to work with children that are non-verbal or half-verbal. Seriously, it takes a special person but it can be learned.

good thread, I get really emotional with these things.. especially autism because I've done a fair amount of community service with autistic teens. and Also when the parents speak, I look too far into it and start to question my own lifestyle, but thats the point I suppose..

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
good one with Clemens... A happy ending too.
Good stuff, Roger is a rough guy but he's got a big heart.

lilkev42

lilkev42

Awards
  • Established
Just wanted to say this program is awesome!!
:clap2:

Kudos to ESPN and the athletes.
Today, I saw Roger Clemens (noted a-hole) show a 15 yr old kid (pitcher himself) with cancer (I forget which kind) how to throw a few pitches properly (sinker, curve, and fastballs).

Awesome stuff!
Yeah Ive been watching these as well. Its awesome that they are doing this. My only thing was with the kid from Wyoming wanting to meet Todd Helton. Seemed odd, but then again when you live out there I guess the Rockies are your favorite team. Not bashing Helton(he is a good player) or the kid, just pointing out soemthing that seemed odd to me and my east coast bias.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
i think his town was as close to Denver as it was to Laramie (U-Wyoming).. Not that the state gets that excited about the UW Cowboys

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I saw the Eagles stuff too.
McNabb is one helluva guy.

Was surprised Kobe hung around with his kid - that could shoot a damn 3 pointer! - as long as he did.
But - Kobe needs an image boost, so this was right up his alley.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
The one tomorrow is with Tracy McGrady, McGrady routinely helps sick children though - not for image. He is a good guy, but you don't often hear about it.

TimoteoS

Awards
Ive seen the Kobe one, the eagles one and the yankees one and I think its awesome. The kids appreciate it as do there family. The one with kobe was sad. Props to them though

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Those were all great, the Kobe one was interesting, I didn't expect him to stick around that long.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Wayne Gretzky tonight.. he made the boy (Dillon) pretty happy, but Gretzky isn't much of a people's person (i guess..). He came of as kind of arrogant. The boy had to travel to Ontario to see Gretzky and Wayne was pretty dry the entire time. He got a lot of jerseys, but it wasn't as good as Helton or Bruschi.

The 'advice' Wayne offered the kid was really generic hockey advice that I've heard about 500 times. I don't know, pick a different hockey player to skate with. Kid should have laid Gretzky out - now that's a story.

raider1

raider1

Awards
This is a good series and program they have going for kids. As a parent ,something like some of these illnesses are your worst nightmare .These stars taking time to do this and do it straight up caring is kinda of refreshing these days ... KUDOS to ESPN :thumbsup:

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
My friend and I are part of the wish granters, we help set up wishes for sick kids....we just did one last week where a kid wanted to meet Tom Brady, was so awesome to set it all up :)

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This is a good series and program they have going for kids. As a parent ,something like some of these illnesses are your worst nightmare .These stars taking time to do this and do it straight up caring is kinda of refreshing these days ... KUDOS to ESPN :thumbsup:
yeah I gotta second this,I think that the one with Kobe suprised me a little he was great with that kid and seemed genuine to me, and I have never liked him.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Teddy Bruschi seemed like a really great guy in his segment. They all do, but he really stuck out to me, seemed genuine.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
I feel pretty gay saying this but I cant watch these things. I tried watching part of the one where the kid visited the rockies and todd helton, but it got too emotional and I had to change the channel.