World Cup

size

Awards
  • Established
Are you excited about the World Cup? I know many Americans do not get overly excited about this event, but it is huge.

Let the games begin. :D

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
I'm actually kind of excited about it. Why?
1. I wanna see what all the hype is about
2. I wanna see what kind of mayhem the rivalries will create this year :D

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
EXCITED as HECK

My wife has been a DIE HARD Brazilian football(that is what they call rugby;)) fan for years and years. And what is REALLY amazing is the US is ranked 5th in the world by FIFA.

I am sure I can somehow get to drink a beer or two to make the pain of watching it go away. lol

CROWLER

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Futbol is like anything; until you start to understand it, it is very hard to appreciate. My wife becomes catatonic watching baseball b/c it means nothing to her. Most Americans don't realize the amount of skill these guys have, so it looks like a bunch of goons chasing a ball. To begin to see the technical expertise, you have to watch the slow motion replays. Their strength, speed and coordination are incomprehensible.

size

Awards
  • Established
EXCITED as HECK

And what is REALLY amazing is the US is ranked 5th in the world by FIFA.
Amazing yes but incorrect as well. FIFA has admitted that they made a mistake by the way they weighted the CONCACAF games incorrectly. Consequently, Mexico and the USA are ranked much higher than they should be.

I am planning on having quite a few beers of the course fo this World Cup. :cheers:

Brazil should be lots of fun to watch. Their abundance of skilled offensive player is amazing. Netherlands should be another very exciting team to watch.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Looking forward to watching Czech Republic, Brazil, Holland, and I guess France. I can't watch MLS, but when World Cup rolls around I must pay attention.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
FIFA announces no doping case by World Cup teams

All the 32 teams for the 2006 World Cup finals are free of doping, an FIFA official said here on Sunday.

"There were no positive results among the 216 urine samples that have been analysed to date", said FIFA Chief Medical Officer Jiri Dvorak at a local press conference.

The 53-year-old professor said FIFA's doping control doctors have conducted unannounced tests at 24 friendly matches and the training camps of all the 32 participating teams ahead of the World Cup.

"Even though in some cases teams had to be tested more than once in a period of just a few days, the cooperation of the players, coaches and officials was excellent," he said.

Dvorak explained that at the friendly matches, two players per team were drawn for testing in accordance with the FIFA Doping Control Regulations, and requested to give a urine sample as soon as the match was over.

The doping tests at the training camps were conducted without prior notice and at a random time.

Four players per squad were drawn by lots, with the laboratory also testing one of these four players for erythropoietin, he added.

FIFA, which became the first sports federation to introduce doping control tests in 1970, has conducted 20 percent more pre-World Cup doping tests when compared to 2002.

"There is no reason to believe that if we were to test more players from each team, or if we were to conduct more tests outside of football competitions, we would uncover more positive tests," stressed Dvorak.

During the World Cup, urine samples from two players per team will be tested after each match by FIFA and Germany's national anti-doping agency (NADA).

Source: Xinhua

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
You guys shouldn't be so rough on the US team - they're really quite good!

So far, teams impressing me have been Argentina, Trinidad (even with ten men they were superb), angola (they lost, but their passing was/is great) and Holland (although they looked reall good because Serbia played so poorly, whereas they're usually really good).

Players impressing me thus far are Phillip lahm (germany), Saviola (argentina), Beckham (England), Marquez (mexico), Sneijder and Robben (Holland), Pauleta (Portugal), Shaka Hislop and A. John (Trinidad).

Its saping up to be a great tournament.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Down 2-0 @ the half, not looking good so far today.

Anyway, this is the first WC I've really looked forward to since '94. As always, I hope Italy does well.

size

Awards
  • Established
Czech 3 - USA 0
USA looked quite poor. They moved slowly and could never put together any offensively cohesive passing.

Game was totally dominately by Nedved. Really is an example of complete game control by a player and making everything develop thru him.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
Czech 3 - USA 0
USA looked quite poor. They moved slowly and could never put together any offensively cohesive passing.

Game was totally dominately by Nedved. Really is an example of complete game control by a player and making everything develop thru him.
Yep. And the lad is like 33!

The next Nedved is Holland's Wesley Sneijder. I've had my peepers on the lad for a while. He will be quality soon.

size

Awards
  • Established
The next Nedved is Holland's Wesley Sneijder. I've had my peepers on the lad for a while. He will be quality soon.
I think Holland has excellent potential to progress in this cup.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I saw my first 90 minutes of soccer in the USA game and wow, I expected a lot more based on the hype I heard. I'll look forward to watching Brazil, I want to see what they hype is about their guys who are so great that they only go by their first name :D

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
I'm interested to see what South-Korea do, I'm hoping they put up an entertaining match at least.

Cretino_Popov

Board Supporter
Awards
I think Holland has excellent potential to progress in this cup.
yes, i agree with you. they have young players but are in a very strong group. they are one of the few teams with enough skill to beat the brazilians

Mess

Awards
  • Established
I saw my first 90 minutes of soccer in the USA game and wow, I expected a lot more based on the hype I heard. I'll look forward to watching Brazil, I want to see what they hype is about their guys who are so great that they only go by their first name :D
Brazil team played poorly for their first match And thats nothing compared to their talents, this match doesnt count if you wanna know whats the hype is about.

size

Awards
  • Established
I saw my first 90 minutes of soccer in the USA game and wow, I expected a lot more based on the hype I heard.
The USA played a very bad game but the Czechs are a very strong team. When a team has a player like Nedved that constatnly dictates pace and ball control it can really take the other team out of its rhythm. But for the most part, many of the USA players simply failed to play.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I was impressed by Italy, that Totti guy looks like a good player. Sounds like Italian soccer had the MLB equivalent of the steroid scandal with gambling :D

italionstallion

Awards
  • Established
Go Italy

(and USA, but we looked like a highschool team in the first game, so i'm not putting much faith in them)

size

Awards
  • Established
Ecuador looked good again today. This team did beat Brazil and Argentina in Quito.

size

Awards
  • Established
Anyone happen to watch Argentina play with Serbia-Mont? Argentina looked very impressive, they did anything they wanted in this game. Defeinitely looking like a powerful side. Keeps getting me more excited about the Argentina v. Netherlands.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
I watched it, Argentina kicked ass with style.

Cretino_Popov

Board Supporter
Awards
Yeah, the match-fixing allegations could lead to some major teams being in deep ****.
I can't wait to see if some teams are gonna be relegated to Serie B. Who knows exactly?

Ecuador is looking good , but they still haven't played a ''big'' country.
Argentina - Holland will be a great match!

Italy - USA tomorrow. Forza Italia!

size

Awards
  • Established
USA -1 Italy - 1

Good effort by both teams but Horrible referee

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I missed the damned game due to a birthday party. Watched CR lose, though. Tell me about this "horrible" ref. The bracket is screwed up right now, and the US is still the only team without a win. I assume if Italy beats CR and the US beats Ghana then they both advance? This is the outcome I hoped for since I'm cheering for both teams.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Wow, I thought Italy would crush them, especially after the early lead. Go USA !

size

Awards
  • Established
Tell me about this "horrible" ref...I assume if Italy beats CR and the US beats Ghana then they both advance?
Referee was horrible. He called far to many fouls completely ruining the flow of the game. Whenever the game speed began to pick up he would bring it to a halt with his whistle. On top of this, he was way to aggressive with giving out cards. He never warned, he simply pulled the cards for any hard foul. Very poorly done.

If Italy wins and the USA win, then both advance out of bracket.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Pleasantly surprised at the 1-1 France-South Korea score tonight.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
I missed the damned game due to a birthday party. Watched CR lose, though. Tell me about this "horrible" ref. The bracket is screwed up right now, and the US is still the only team without a win. I assume if Italy beats CR and the US beats Ghana then they both advance? This is the outcome I hoped for since I'm cheering for both teams.
Don't write-off Ghana. They have a great team and really showed against Czech Rep.

I did not anticipate that scoreline. They have some crazy pace.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Vieira's goal was blatantly over the line though. I did laugh though, cause i fancied korea to nick a goal back.
Korea's goal was pretty entertaining that's for sure, and now their top of their group aswell I think.

size

Awards
  • Established
Vieira's goal was blatantly over the line though. I did laugh though
I laughed as well. I laughed even more when Zidane got his yellow card forcing him to miss the next game.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
I laughed as well. I laughed even more when Zidane got his yellow card forcing him to miss the next game.
Yeah, that could have been his last international match for France.

I bet he wishes he'd retired after Euro 2000 now...

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
So far, teams impressing me have been Argentina, Trinidad (even with ten men they were superb), angola (they lost, but their passing was/is great) and Holland (although they looked reall good because Serbia played so poorly, whereas they're usually really good).
For anyone curious why i didn't include Spain in this shortlist, despite their mauling of the Ukraine, is because i considered it a "good day" for them. I was waiting to see if they could reproduce the form against opposition on a different day, and clearly, after last night's match, they can't. Or at least now for now.

This may change when they play Saudi, but on the whole, i feel like when they come up against better opposition they are going to have to really step it up a gear to look good. Last night did not impress me, despite their dominance (and eventual win).

size

Awards
  • Established
For anyone curious why i didn't include Spain in this shortlist,
I would assuem you did not pick Spain for the same reason I did not, they consistently fail to meet expectations in the World Cup.

italionstallion

Awards
  • Established
I must say, I have never been a fan of soccer, or enjoyed watching it, but I am getting into the World Cup. Hopefully the USA can pull through today and advance to the next round.

Even though it is enjoyable, I don't think I will ever really get into it for the fact that I simply can't handle how many p*ssies there are out on the field. If someone breathes on an opposing player, he'll fall down and a penalty is called. The fouls are just ridiculous, not to mention the yellow cards. In addition to that, it pisses me off that people get taken off the field in a stretcher only to return 2 minutes later. If you pull that **** you should be out all game. And finally, the begging for foul calls. Suck it up and stop raising your hand and looking at the ref everytime someone brushes into you, they already call 25x more fouls then they should, there is no need to look for more.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
I must say, I have never been a fan of soccer, or enjoyed watching it, but I am getting into the World Cup. Hopefully the USA can pull through today and advance to the next round.
Not a chance in hell, I do hope some of the bigger 'players' in this world cup pick up the pace though.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
NOBODY DEFEND US SOCCER. Any team that gets 1 legit goal in 270minutes - straight up sucks. The players can't pass and recieve passes. They head the ball for no reason and it just goes whereever.

The only above-average player is my friend Clint Dempesy. Donovan is average. McBride works hard but is not tall or talented enough. Bobby Convey doesn't even look like he plays soccer. DeMarcus Beasley shouldn't have even made the team or any team for that matter. Defense is good enough but can't pass the field to midfield - so they hardly help things.

The coach is a f_cking joke. He hasn't won a single game in Europe. And he plays the game not to get blown out. His untalented team is completely disorganized. He plays the most pathetic schemes.

The captain of the team, Claudio Reyna, is the worst player on the team. He needs a stretcher to leave the field after single handedly surrendering a goal. He is crying on the stretcher. He wants come back in 2minutes later.

*If you need a strecher to leave the field. You better leave in an ambulance, you better go the hosptial and you better have f_cking surgery on your leg. I can honestly say I had a better World Cup sitting in bed with a broken knee playing with myself than our captain.

I'm sorry this is mean and probably out of line. Our team is pathetic. We score 1 goal by ourselves in three games and demand fans get excited. If this were Columbia, the players and the coach would be put in front of a firing squad. I'm not suggesting we do that.. but to get excited about these jokers is simply ridiculous.

The entire world thinks we are soft and stupid. And This is how we perform. To defend this team is absolutely pathetic and you might as well go live in France. if this is the best we can do, we might as well stop playing soccer in this country.

sorry.

my 2cents, I love this country more than anyone. don't take this rant the wrong way.

size

Awards
  • Established
NOBODY DEFEND US SOCCER. Any team that gets 1 legit goal in 270minutes - straight up sucks.
I think you are being a bit harsh on your country's team. they were in a very strong bracket. Czech is going home as well and they are an excellent side.

USA lacks offensive creativity and the ability to consistently string passes together. This can be attributed to a many things so it is hard just to pin it on one thing or person. Much of it though should fall onto the coach and the tactics that he employs. For instance, agaisnt Italy they did not use the remaining substitution or the seemingly refusal to play with 2 forwards or the odd insistence in putting Beasley and McBride into games and leaving them in w/o production.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
*If you need a strecher to leave the field. You better leave in an ambulance, you better go the hosptial and you better have f_cking surgery on your leg.
LOL so true. If they cart you off the field or bring a stretcher in real football then you are fvcked.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I think you are being a bit harsh on your country's team. they were in a very strong bracket. Czech is going home as well and they are an excellent side.

USA lacks offensive creativity and the ability to consistently string passes together. This can be attributed to a many things so it is hard just to pin it on one thing or person. Much of it though should fall onto the coach and the tactics that he employs. For instance, agaisnt Italy they did not use the remaining substitution or the seemingly refusal to play with 2 forwards or the odd insistence in putting Beasley and McBride into games and leaving them in w/o production.
Perhaps you are right, but I don't see the US getting out of any group this time around. The US lacks creativity and they simply stand still. The only guy moving is the player with the ball and he usually that guy can't handle the ball to begin with.

I'll agree, Bruce Arena is pathetic. He blames the refs and calls out his players. US soccer needs to stop looking for excuses and blame a general lack of talent and a old loser coach for their 'under' achievement.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
LOL so true. If they cart you off the field or bring a stretcher in real football then you are fvcked.
happened to me just 3 weeks ago :(

can't stand to see these cross-country bodies fall on the ground and pretend like their terribly injured

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Ive always contemplated why soccer and the world cup is so popular and why people go so crazy, heres what i got so far.
1) most of the countries involved dont play hockey, either due to a lack of interest, climate, lack of money (Gear), lack of venue.
2) anyone can play soccer whether it be an old man on his day off to a kid with no shoes and something soft enough to kick and roll.
3)Fifa is a worldly affair its like the olympics for me prolly times 10 cause ive never painted my face of beat people to smitherines.
4)The talent of the players (for those who recognise the talent)
5)structure and dramatic lead up and climax of the tourney
6)Passsion, emotion, devotion to the game of the suporters and players. simple blood sweat and tears.

Ive never understood it before but ive been sucked in to watching every game i can catch. I like ronaldo from spain, ronaldino from brasil and mexicos center feild. Oh and long walks on the beach.

size

Awards
  • Established
I like ronaldo from spain, ronaldino from brasil
You like two of the best and most dazzling dribblers in the world. Good chocies. :)

I love soccer/futbol/football b/c of the constant build up for a goal only to be rejected then starting over again minute after minute. I also like it b/c it is a sport where size for the most part does not matter. Skill and talent shine above all else.