Best player in the NHL(currently) - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

Best player in the NHL(currently)

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Board Sponsor

Peter Forsberg is certainly the most talented player in the NHL, but his style has been hampered by the chronic injuries. Jagr is also an excellent player, but he neglects the defensive zone frequently and is not the best "teammate" or leader quality player in the NHL.

I know I'll catch some flak here, but the best player in the NHL CURRENTLY is Ovechkin. What he does on that sorry-ass team is almost unbelievable. He's solid in both zones, is a fierce leader, and is physically dominating of players larger than him both with and without the puck.

A good case could also be made for Joe Thorton.

2. New Member

I was watching the Caps game last night and Ovechkin was quite solid. I think he is very talanted but He few and far between on the Caps. I'm not saying my team(Penguins) is in any better shape but so far since the trade deadline we have been winning. Once malkin gets here pittsburgh is going to have a pretty fierce squad. I know right now we have almost the youngest team in the NHL. Gonchar is a massive dissapointment.
  3. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by uhockey
    Peter Forsberg is certainly the most talented player in the NHL, but his style has been hampered by the chronic injuries. Jagr is also an excellent player, but he neglects the defensive zone frequently and is not the best "teammate" or leader quality player in the NHL.

I know I'll catch some flak here, but the best player in the NHL CURRENTLY is Ovechkin. What he does on that sorry-ass team is almost unbelievable. He's solid in both zones, is a fierce leader, and is physically dominating of players larger than him both with and without the puck.

A good case could also be made for Joe Thorton.
    Give Ovechkin another couple years, while he's close I don't think hes quite there yet. I'll agree what he does is shocking when you think about what he has as teammates
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

When Malkin makes it to the NHL, Pittsburgh will have a hell of a team...if they are still in Pittsburgh.
  5. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    When Malkin makes it to the NHL, Pittsburgh will have a hell of a team...if they are still in Pittsburgh.
    nothing like going bankrupt year after year lol
  6. New Member

There not going bankrupt there just not getting what they desirve. Like PGH need s anew arena, just at least in terms of having quality shows come though and such. THey way they(mario and the pens) want it done is very benefical to taxpayers b/c no one pays for it. SInce were(PA) getting slots licances it is the best way for the city and the region. PGH is only going to get one licance and there are two active bidders for it. The pens and some other guy. Both have good idea for the slots and such but the Pen 's ideas is more benefical to the city as a whole. The gov of PA heavly supports Philla over PGH so there is some contrversy there. THe teams finical toruble are non-existant. The fan base for the pens is bigger than that of the Pirates. Even though were loosing there consistantly between 12-15K worth of people at the games every time they play. So it not really the team going bankrupt, its them not getting a new arena. It will be one of those 11th hour deals and the city will bail the team out. My uncle is a Chielf for the Firedept in PGH and the tax revenue that the city brings in from the games is something on the order of paying the entire months pay for a Truck and Engine Company.....off of one night of the pens playing. There gonan be around.
  7. Board Sponsor

Send Pitt to Portland, move Detroit to the Eastern Conference. Then Columbus will be the only EST team in the West.....and I really can't see the Panthers remaining in Miami too much longer.

As for pitt someday being good.......what, Malkin is going to make their defense less horrid? Fleury is going to live up to the hype? Gonchar is going to start playing defense?? They are the worst team in the NHL and even with Malkin they will cleanse the cellar next season unless they make some serious free agent moves.
  8. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Send Pitt to Portland, move Detroit to the Eastern Conference. Then Columbus will be the only EST team in the West.....and I really can't see the Panthers remaining in Miami too much longer.

As for pitt someday being good.......what, Malkin is going to make their defense less horrid? Fleury is going to live up to the hype? Gonchar is going to start playing defense?? They are the worst team in the NHL and even with Malkin they will cleanse the cellar next season unless they make some serious free agent moves.
    Although I agree with the defense comment as their entire back-end is generic quality due to the constant fire-sales of good players in recent years, IMO Fleury will live upto the hype at some point. I think he has shown promise this year, although he makes mistakes he has also kept them in some games they never deserved to be in.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  211 lbs.

Malkin is better defensively then Ovechkin is so everything youre saying about AO can be said for Malkin. I think he will make as big of a difference for the pens as AO is for the caps. And i love the idea of detroit going to the east. im sick of my avs facing them in the playoffs. well... when they lose to em anyways.
  10. Banned

I'll go with Markus Naslund. He's been injured for the whole year with a bad groin, but kept on playing. He missed out on Gold, is playing with an underachieving line mate, but he'll prove his worth
  11. Board Sponsor

Daniel Alfredsson had some very interesting comments on Alexander Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby in an interview for the Ottawa Sun this week.

Here are some quotes from the interview with the Sens' captain

"He (Ovechkin) can make chicken soup out of chicken (bleep)," said Alfredsson. "Everybody is coached so well, every defenceman knows how to play the one-on-one. It's very rare that you see it and he can beat people clean. That's the key. He can create chances from nothing, really.''

"Beating a guy one-on-one is so hard these days. You don't see it too often," said Alfredsson. "To do it, you have to be able to do some pretty special things. He's got the speed and he's got the threat of the shot that makes the defenceman even more cautious, too. That's the key to beating a guy one-on-one. I can't do it."

"I haven't seen a rookie like him in I don't know how long. Kovalchuk was good, but he's another step ahead of him, just because he adds another dimension of being physical.

"He doesn't get frustrated if he gets hit, either. He gets up and keeps playing. Not like the other rookie (Crosby), who starts crying. I think there's a big difference in the attitude. He's pretty impressive with the way he's handled himself overall. He loves the game, no question."
  12. New Member

If you're talking about right now in the NHL, Jagr by a landslide.
  13. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by stug0tz
    I was at the Flyers game last night and Foresburg wasnt anything special, sure he scored a goal, but it was just off a crappy rebound, and it was only his 18th of the season.
    Peter Forsberg is not a goal scorer, but he is the most complete player in the game. If you have any doubts about his passing skills, then look at the year that Gagne is having.
  14. New Member

Jagr is having one hell of a year but as an overall complete player, i'd have to pick forsberg. He just needs to stay healthy.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-22-2012, 04:58 PM
  2. The Debate: Best player in the NBA right now
    By SureShot in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 10:38 PM
  3. Best player in the NBA? Right now.
    By CEDeoudes59 in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 03-29-2006, 04:19 AM