why did the colts do it???

BMW

Awards
  • Established
well after everyone thought the steelers were going to win, bettis almost blew it with the fumble at the end of the 4th. god must have been going for the colts because you couldnt have had a better opprotunity in any game to get a second chance like that to win. someone please tell why the hell the colts decided to use stupid impossible pass plays 50yds out from the goal post when they could have eaisily used run or short routes to pick up the first and give the kicker a few extra yrds at least. they could have won that game they had no excuses now my little bro team is one step closer to the superbowl and my team is at home twiddling theyre thumbs, thanks colts

massmonster

Awards
  • Established
Because Gayton Manning is the white T.O.

GRosk1234

Pi Alpha Omega Epsilon Alpha
Awards
I can do nothing but agree. I mean who doesn't just pick up the first down and keep the drive going? The goal is to score and use the clock wisely. They had a whole 2 yards to go and 2 time outs left with plenty of time on the clock. Talk about just shooting yourself in the foot! Horrible play calling imho.

BMW

Awards
  • Established
I can do nothing but agree. I mean who doesn't just pick up the first down and keep the drive going? The goal is to score and use the clock wisely. They had a whole 2 yards to go and 2 time outs left with plenty of time on the clock. Talk about just shooting yourself in the foot! Horrible play calling imho.
exactly they had every tool in the world to win that game how they lost is beyond words.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
What comes around goes around... did you see the incomplete interception... umm I mean pass.

theamazing3000

Awards
  • Established
i said it last year and i'll say it again. MANNING CANT WIN A BIG GAME

CHOKE....

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Damn the Colts choked big time. I think this loss will haunt them for a long time. This was supposed to be their year. They had homefield advantage, they had probably their best ever regular season and they were beaten by a team they had dominated earlier in the year. I guess that's why they play the games.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established

hockeyguy77

Awards
ask yourself this. When was the last time the colts were in a close game where dungy and manning needed to use wise clock managment??? they should have run on 3rd and two not thrown for 30 yrds. They were given this game on a silver platter!!!! Peytons head is to big for his arm!!!!!!

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
Saaaame **** they said about Elway is all I can say.

Trance Boy

Awards
I absolutely agree!!!!...they could of thrown a few short passes, take a time out..THEN take one shot at the end zone, and if they dont make it, at least they given there kicker a shorter distance to kick, instead of going for the kill from the 30 yrd line. Perhaps this is what separates Manning from someone like Tom Brady or even Joe Montana, making the right decisions at the right time. Now granted Brady had a unlike bad game against Denver, but hey you cant always win them all the time, but at least Brady has already proven he's clutch under pressure in big games, something Mr Manning cant seem to do so far.

LuckyBoy

Awards
  • Established
what im trying to figure out is why didnt the guy that picked up that fumble run down the sidelines instead of basically right into ben? ben never wouldve had an angle or the speed to get him but he insisted on making a move instead. and the only reason dungy might have been gone was he said he mightve retired after all that has happened to him this year.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I absolutely agree!!!!...they could of thrown a few short passes, take a time out..THEN take one shot at the end zone, and if they dont make it, at least they given there kicker a shorter distance to kick, instead of going for the kill from the 30 yrd line. Perhaps this is what separates Manning from someone like Tom Brady or even Joe Montana, making the right decisions at the right time. Now granted Brady had a unlike bad game against Denver, but hey you cant always win them all the time, but at least Brady has already proven he's clutch under pressure in big games, something Mr Manning cant seem to do so far.
I dont know what game you were watching but the the field goal would not have been for the kill as you say, it would have been a tie. If that call was not reversed none of what happened after would have happened. Aside from the fact that the steelers would have probably gotten a field goal to make it a 14 point game, if that call is not overturned Indy is down to 1 time out and the steelers down the ball. Game over.

This has been one of the most pitiful years in the playoffs in nfl that I can even remember. Almost every game has had some very bad calls that just about decided the game. The nfl needs to start canning some of these guys or put them back in nfl europe.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
The NFL admitted the wrong call on the interception play.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060117/SPORTS03/601170400

Also, Dungy's future in Indy is in question from what I'm told. One of my friends in Indy called me last night and said he may be on his way out. :run: Not too sure what to think about that one.

truth be told Indy better worry more about how they are going to sign some of those key Free agents. As far as dungy, I think it just stinks baout his sun, but as you could see on T.V. we all know who the real head coach is, so they could pretty much just about hire any decent coach.

asap nutrition

Awards
  • Established
The only reason the colts were even in that game at the end is because the Officials wanted the Colts to win.

Now I just hope that Car0lina will beat the breaks out of the Seahawks because if the Superbowl will suck if it is Denver and Seahawks.

Carolina and Pittsburg will be a damn good Superbowl. Pittsburg 27 Carolina 24

Trance Boy

Awards
I dont know what game you were watching but the the field goal would not have been for the kill as you say, it would have been a tie. If that call was not reversed none of what happened after would have happened. Aside from the fact that the steelers would have probably gotten a field goal to make it a 14 point game, if that call is not overturned Indy is down to 1 time out and the steelers down the ball. Game over.

This has been one of the most pitiful years in the playoffs in nfl that I can even remember. Almost every game has had some very bad calls that just about decided the game. The nfl needs to start canning some of these guys or put them back in nfl europe.
what I meant to say about the kill is, Manning shouldnt have tried to go for the touchdown from the 30 yrd line, instead he should of thrown short passes to get closer to field goal range or try a shot at the end zone once your closer. I agree the officiating has been terrible, I'm glad the Steelers won, cause Indy did not deserve to win that game after that interception was ruled incomplete.

judge-mental

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
so much hating...the league wants the colts to win... what a bunch of bla bla.

manning will get his SB.

to remind you colts were on the 1 yard line and got called for a penalty that wasnt there. if they'd score than, it was a tie game near the end, intercetion or no interception.

BMW

Awards
  • Established
hey the steeler had a shitty call penalty game against the bengals so what goes around comes around.

BMW

Awards
  • Established
i think it weird the how manning is this generations marino and brady is the montana clone. manning is a better qb than brady just like marino was better than montana, but look who has all the rings history just repetes itself huh.

Trance Boy

Awards
i think it weird the how manning is this generations marino and brady is the montana clone. manning is a better qb than brady just like marino was better than montana, but look who has all the rings history just repetes itself huh.
I think Manning has better physical talents and more passing skills than Brady, but Brady to me is the better qb overall, simply because Brady plays within his limits and doesnt do too much, especially under pressure. As for Marino, growing up in the 80's I watched and love Marino to death. Marino didnt have the defense and running game to go with his passing, so its unfair to say Manning is this decades Marino. Manning finally had the defense this year and didnt take advantage of it. Both Brady and Montana are cool, calm and precise under pressure. Give me the QB that can produce under pressure time after time over the big passing numbers that cant do it under pressure.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Manning poorly audibled all-game, he constantly sent recievers and backs out rather than them staying-home to block. the result, sacks, hurries and ultimately a loss.

manning pointed the finger at his oline for the loss - which is bullshit. 5 guys can NEVER block 6 or 7, no matter if they are all-pros or not. manning kept changing the play and would send Dallas Clark or Edge James out rather than having them pick up a linebacker or blitzing safety.. You can audible Run, Pass AND BLOCK. Manning did a lot of pointing at the line of scrimage for no reason

he 'outthunk' himself in this one and should stop blaming other players for he own misreads

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
SuperBowl rings are hard to come by for QBs. There are only 23 starting QBs that have won 39 SuperBowl rings. This year will be 24! The NFL has only Brady, Johnson,
Dilfer, Warner and Favre, 5 guys who won rings as a starting QB. You can't tell me Johnson and Dilfer are better QBs than Marino and Manning.:run:

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
The things you guys are saying about Peyton Manning were also said about John Elway & Steve Young before they came through with the big win. He still is young enough to break out in big games and win some Super Bowls.

BMW

Awards
  • Established
I think Manning has better physical talents and more passing skills than Brady, but Brady to me is the better qb overall, simply because Brady plays within his limits and doesnt do too much, especially under pressure. As for Marino, growing up in the 80's I watched and love Marino to death. Marino didnt have the defense and running game to go with his passing, so its unfair to say Manning is this decades Marino. Manning finally had the defense this year and didnt take advantage of it. Both Brady and Montana are cool, calm and precise under pressure. Give me the QB that can produce under pressure time after time over the big passing numbers that cant do it under pressure.
marino is the greatest i dont care what anyone says, and thank god he was on my team! play his full carrer with just the dolphins. now i hope we dont trade ricky in the off season i will be so mad ill pull sabans balls out with a corkscrew.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
marino is the greatest i dont care what anyone says, and thank god he was on my team! play his full carrer with just the dolphins. now i hope we dont trade ricky in the off season i will be so mad ill pull sabans balls out with a corkscrew.
ouch!....I still have a vintage Dolphins #39 jersey.... Larry Csonka is god!

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
i tend to agree - but favre might be ahead - not sure
:burger:

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i said it last year and i'll say it again. MANNING CANT WIN A BIG GAME

CHOKE....
You're an idiot and obviously didn't WATCH the game.

How is he responsbile for winning a game? His TEAM wins games - not him.

The guy was either on his back or running for his life 95% of the time.

Get a clue.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Manning poorly audibled all-game, he constantly sent recievers and backs out rather than them staying-home to block. the result, sacks, hurries and ultimately a loss.

manning pointed the finger at his oline for the loss - which is bullshit. 5 guys can NEVER block 6 or 7, no matter if they are all-pros or not. manning kept changing the play and would send Dallas Clark or Edge James out rather than having them pick up a linebacker or blitzing safety.. You can audible Run, Pass AND BLOCK. Manning did a lot of pointing at the line of scrimage for no reason

he 'outthunk' himself in this one and should stop blaming other players for he own misreads
I don't agree.

He said he didn't get protection. Which he did not. I didn't hear him blame players specifically (if he did... point me in the correct direction please). He simply said he did not get protection.

Can't deny that with 5 sacks, lots of forced throws and a few runs for his life.

He might have out thunk himself but I don't think so. I think the Steelers brought a much better game plan than the Colts were ready for. Did Manning "out think himself" in the Chargers game this year? Or the Patriots game last year int he play-offs?

Is true of ANY QB. Get pressure on him and they will struggle.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I don't agree.

He said he didn't get protection. Which he did not. I didn't hear him blame players specifically (if he did... point me in the correct direction please). He simply said he did not get protection.

Can't deny that with 5 sacks, lots of forced throws and a few runs for his life.

He might have out thunk himself but I don't think so. I think the Steelers brought a much better game plan than the Colts were ready for. Did Manning "out think himself" in the Chargers game this year? Or the Patriots game last year int he play-offs?

I agree 100%. I heard someone say somewhere on ESPN that this was the worst game the Colts O-Line had ever played with Manning at QB. Manning is great, but he can't do it all.

Spectre32

Spectre32

Awards
I think that bye week teams get is kinda shitty. But i mean the colts were to confident that the steelers were just going to be as shitty as they were when they first met. Overall the steelers dominated that game and even witht he shitty calls they stil managed to win. Again I htink that bye week and the cockyness got the best of them

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
It looked like the Colts were out coached. They were trying some kind of read-through run blocks, where the o-lineman read the linebackers and adjust their point of attack. Not only did it not work for the running game, it gave the Steelers something to key on for the pass plays. The results were disasterous for the Colts. It was a calculated risk by Dungy, he wanted to give the Steelers a different look then they had seen in their previous meeting. Dungy had to assumed that the change would confuse the Steelers. He was wrong. It is not unusual for a coach to change a look for a second meeting, but this was risky. Manning's audibles were useless when the Steelers knew the play was going to be a pass. This kind of thing seems to happen in the playoffs every couple of years. One team trys to out think their opponent, but guesses wrong. It was only a three point game. The Bettis fumble made it interesting until the end.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
so much hating...the league wants the colts to win... what a bunch of bla bla.

manning will get his SB.

to remind you colts were on the 1 yard line and got called for a penalty that wasnt there. if they'd score than, it was a tie game near the end, intercetion or no interception.
I dont know what you were watching but that was a legit call, if you cant block the defense you have penalties before the snap.

Like I said before that call doesnt get reversed indy is down to 1 time out and steelers down the ball instead of run. Every analyst in the nfl agrees that the steelers deserved that win.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
You're an idiot and obviously didn't WATCH the game.

The guy was either on his back or running for his life 95% of the time.

Get a clue.

Sorry Manning needs to be able to make adjustments. If your a qb in todays NFL and cant pass out of the pocket your gonna have serious problems. This was marinos problem he did have a quick release, but when he was chased out of the pocket he couldnt do anything. Even Mannings brother can pass out of the pocket.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I don't agree.

it's hard to say without knowing what play were called and how Manning altered them. They certainly made little effort at halftime to help themselves though

as for the Chargers game, they got outplayed - similar to the Steelers game. Any NFL can beat any other on any given Sunday - with the exception of the 49ers. The fans in Indy were soft

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
correct

so long as its a team sport - it takes a team to win it

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
That was a cheap shot you bastards. I'll remind you that the Niners beat the real worst team in the league, the Texans.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Sorry Manning needs to be able to make adjustments. If your a qb in todays NFL and cant pass out of the pocket your gonna have serious problems. This was marinos problem he did have a quick release, but when he was chased out of the pocket he couldnt do anything. Even Mannings brother can pass out of the pocket.
There are also audible calls on the line made by the center usually, that change blocking assignments. The Dungy game plan somehow tinkered with how this was done. So somewhere between the gameplan and the line calls, resulted the worst blocking ever seen in a playoff game. Manning did not have a chance. I don't think he should have stated it to the press, but he was being kind when he said "...We had some protection problems..." I have Mannings performance behind. #1 Coaching, #2 Blocking as the reason the Colts did so poorly.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
it's hard to say without knowing what play were called and how Manning altered them. They certainly made little effort at halftime to help themselves though

as for the Chargers game, they got outplayed - similar to the Steelers game. Any NFL can beat any other on any given Sunday - with the exception of the 49ers. The fans in Indy were soft
They got outplayed because those teams got pressure on Manning.

ANY QB in ANY league will struggle if you bring enough pressure to make him **** his pants.

So for the second year in a row, it wasn't Manning that "lost the game" as many would say and believe. It was the other team taking away the weapons of the Colts - stop manning and everything pretty much stops.

Manning put up pretty good numbers when they're wasn't pressure. Case in point, when Blitzberg stopped going ful steam after Manning during the middle-late half of the 3rd and 4th. He picked apart the D like he's known to do. He HAD time!