ESPN: USC's Place in History

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.74%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

For what its worth, I've been a buckeye fan all my life and I will be the first to admit that that win is tainted, other fans can justify it any way they want but I can only imagine the feeling of being miami's players after that call. 2001-2002 miami really was an NFL talent producing machine

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.53%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Honestly - I'd have given up posting on that situation around you guys along time ago (not that I'll forget it....) if your fans would have said just that.
    A simple "hey - we know we were handed the game, it was over save for the call - but we'll take it" would have been plenty. I think that's really all the reasonable Cane fans would have liked to see.

Hell - I'm not on Nevada's board to defend a bad call in the Blue Turf bowl. I know it helped us win. I'll take the bad call.
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.74%

Believe me, I won't give you any guff for your complaining...if I am in your shoes I am doing the same thing every time it comes up. They say one play doesn't win or lose a game, but I would say the very LAST play certainly can
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.54%

95 nebraska
    2001 canes
    2005 USC

USC's defense in 2005 is what hurts them against these other teams. Heck FSU's 1999 team could possibly beat them too.
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.53%

You mean USC '04???????

Where does this Gator team compare with those mentioned above?
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.54%

Quote Originally Posted by jmh80
    Where does this Gator team compare with those mentioned above?
    They dont deserve to even be talked about as one of the best teams ever, I'm too young to know all the teams on that previous list though. We are weak at RB and OL. It is debateable to say that they played the greatest national championship game ever....yea 95 nebraska blew out the gators but that gators team wasn't that great that year. People were trying to say this years OSU should be in talks for one of the greatest teams ever, that was BS before the game and even more so now.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  270 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.75%
    Achievements Posting Pro

95 Huskers over any USC team and Miami team, period! Sorry about it...can't stop Tommy (Frasier or Osbourne) and ball control!
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.53%

Quote Originally Posted by Max32
    95 Huskers over any USC team and Miami team, period! Sorry about it...can't stop Tommy (Frasier or Osbourne) and ball control!
    I respect that.

I can only offer my argument: the '94 Miami team (with Warren Sapp and Ray Lewis starting) with one of THE worst offenses we've had in the last 25 years lost by 7 points to the '94 Nebraska team in the OB (Canes had a late 17-10 lead).
    The only big difference I know of between '94 Nebraska and '95 Nebraska is Frazier at QB (that dead white QB played in the '94 OB - forget his name).
    And the '01 Miami team beat the hell out of Nebraska in the Rose Bowl.

People's perception and memory of the '95 team is clouded by the beatdown of UF. A soft team with holes on D that Spurrier knew - which is why he got some young guy named Stoops to coach his D in '96.
    Miami's perception (as Corso pointed out) was that they struggled - therefore '95 Nebraka would win.

I don't dispute they struggled - but let's analyze. Miami struggled (A) when Coker called off the dogs (see Virginia Tech and Nebraska) or couldn't remember that he had good RB's when Dorsey had his one bad game (Boston College).
    But - when they Canes felt disrespected - they turned on the jets.
    Ask Washington - they got trucked 61 to 7 in the Orange Bowl (and haven't recovered since). Then, Syracuse got raped 66 to 0 the next week (again - haven't recovered).
    Both were top 15 teams at the time (UW in the top 10).
    I'm quite sure that '95 Nebraska would be favored (maybe quite heavily judging by ESPN's poll/panel a few weeks ago).
    You think Ed Reed ain't gonna be up in everyone's ear before the game telling them that???

As Kirk Herbstreit said "Miami will just roll up 8 in the box - 5 of those were first round draft picks with 3 Pro-bowlers - and make Nebraska throw the ball against Phillip Buchanon and Mike Rumph at CB with Ed Reed in the middle."
    Jon Vilma at MLB seemed to figure out that option pretty quickly in the Rose...

Seriously though - apart from a HUGE coaching advantage - I don't think the Nebraska running game is the huge advantage all you old people think.
    The '01 Nebraska team couldn't do sh*t on the ground (includes Crouch) until Coker calls off the dogs.

The Miami O in '01 was well-balanced. Shockey and Andre Johnson catching the ball on the outside with what is probably THE best RB rotation ever - Frank Gore (pre-ACL tears was averaging 9.5 yards/carry), Willis McGahee, and Clinton Portis.
    The Cane OL was one of the best we've had - anchored by Bryant McKinnie.
    This O wasn't the soft Gator O that Neb. faced in '95.

I think Nebraska has very little success passing - and Miami "holds" them to 300 yards rushing (I think they averaged 400 to 450 yards/game).
    The Canes O runs the ball with Portis and Gore to the outside - and McGahee inside the tackles - with relative success, 225 yards.
    Dorsey hits Andre on a drag route that he turns upfield for a long TD. Then - Shockey goes wild.

Canes win by a TD.

How 'bout some analysis Max??
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  270 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.75%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I respect that.

I can only offer my argument: the '94 Miami team (with Warren Sapp and Ray Lewis starting) with one of THE worst offenses we've had in the last 25 years lost by 7 points to the '94 Nebraska team in the OB (Canes had a late 17-10 lead).
    The only big difference I know of between '94 Nebraska and '95 Nebraska is Frazier at QB (that dead white QB played in the '94 OB - forget his name).
    And the '01 Miami team beat the hell out of Nebraska in the Rose Bowl.

People's perception and memory of the '95 team is clouded by the beatdown of UF. A soft team with holes on D that Spurrier knew - which is why he got some young guy named Stoops to coach his D in '96.
    Miami's perception (as Corso pointed out) was that they struggled - therefore '95 Nebraka would win.

I don't dispute they struggled - but let's analyze. Miami struggled (A) when Coker called off the dogs (see Virginia Tech and Nebraska) or couldn't remember that he had good RB's when Dorsey had his one bad game (Boston College).
    But - when they Canes felt disrespected - they turned on the jets.
    Ask Washington - they got trucked 61 to 7 in the Orange Bowl (and haven't recovered since). Then, Syracuse got raped 66 to 0 the next week (again - haven't recovered).
    Both were top 15 teams at the time (UW in the top 10).
    I'm quite sure that '95 Nebraska would be favored (maybe quite heavily judging by ESPN's poll/panel a few weeks ago).
    You think Ed Reed ain't gonna be up in everyone's ear before the game telling them that???

As Kirk Herbstreit said "Miami will just roll up 8 in the box - 5 of those were first round draft picks with 3 Pro-bowlers - and make Nebraska throw the ball against Phillip Buchanon and Mike Rumph at CB with Ed Reed in the middle."
    Jon Vilma at MLB seemed to figure out that option pretty quickly in the Rose...

Seriously though - apart from a HUGE coaching advantage - I don't think the Nebraska running game is the huge advantage all you old people think.
    The '01 Nebraska team couldn't do sh*t on the ground (includes Crouch) until Coker calls off the dogs.

The Miami O in '01 was well-balanced. Shockey and Andre Johnson catching the ball on the outside with what is probably THE best RB rotation ever - Frank Gore (pre-ACL tears was averaging 9.5 yards/carry), Willis McGahee, and Clinton Portis.
    The Cane OL was one of the best we've had - anchored by Bryant McKinnie.
    This O wasn't the soft Gator O that Neb. faced in '95.

I think Nebraska has very little success passing - and Miami "holds" them to 300 yards rushing (I think they averaged 400 to 450 yards/game).
    The Canes O runs the ball with Portis and Gore to the outside - and McGahee inside the tackles - with relative success, 225 yards.
    Dorsey hits Andre on a drag route that he turns upfield for a long TD. Then - Shockey goes wild.

Canes win by a TD.

How 'bout some analysis Max??
    I can't rebuttle you bigdog!! Very nice...
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.53%

Thanks.

The problem with all these "best team of all-time" is that NO ONE uses much of any data whatsoever. You end up getting old farts like Lou Holtz and Berry Switzer and Lee Corso saying "Miami had a close game, Nebraska didn't - so Nebraska is better."
    Holtz doesn't even know it's 2007 - he thinks it's 1988 and Notre Dame is relevant.
    Switzer is out of it also - he kept saying crap about how damn good Nebraska was and about playing them even though he was in the NFL during that '95 season.
    Corso just makes up crap off the top of his head - usually to piss someone off (I think Herbie during that show).

Herbie brought up data - but none of the younger people on that side of the set said anything.

That and EVERY PERSON in Nebraska ALWAYS logs on to these votes and picks their '72 and '95 teams as #1.

I give them credit for that - but it's a bit like the billion Asians voting Ichiro as the top player in Major League Baseball's All-star voting EVERY YEAR (or when that Shinjo guy finished a close 4th in NL outfield voting with a 0.250 batting average at best). I mean, really now.

This year's ESPN version was just stooooooopid. Texas '05 and '71 Nebraska met on one half with '01 Miami against '95 Nebraska on the other half.

Both NU teams won like 70 to 30.

I just don't understand that. If you could theoretically take those NU teams and play those UM/UT teams with the players exactly as they were in the '70's and '90's - they'd get trucked.
    Conditioning and size and strength now is way bigger than back then.
    So - to compare something like that is just retarded.

But - what do I know, I'm a Canes homer.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.27%

Listen I like Michigan, but the fact of the matter is Miami got hosed in 03' plain and simple. And I'll said before and I'll say it again the most dominant team I've ever seen has to be 95 Nebraska. They were just too dominant, they steamed rolled over teams that season. Miami 02 was laden with talent but the unfortunate part is that games are not played on paper.
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.53%

I think you've got your years sorta wrong. The '02 Canes got hosed in the '03 Fiesta.

The '01 Canes were the GOAT.
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.27%

I think you've got your years sorta wrong. The '02 Canes got hosed in the '03 Fiesta.

The '01 Canes were the GOAT.
    I'm not confused. Yes the game was played in 03' where they were hosed. And yes the 01' team was the team that was stacked. But the 02' team was also awfully talented as well.

However, like I said earlier that is why the games are not played on paper, if they were why even bother playing...
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.53%

Ahh.
    Yeah - that's true re: on paper.

I did some research last night on the '95 Husker team and started on the '01 Miami team.

I'll try to post it up today - but I gotta get off my azz and get to the gym. (Haven't been in a week and a half - damn shoulder injury )
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.27%

Ahh.
    Yeah - that's true re: on paper.

I did some research last night on the '95 Husker team and started on the '01 Miami team.

I'll try to post it up today - but I gotta get off my azz and get to the gym. (Haven't been in a week and a half - damn shoulder injury )
    I'm recovering from a shoulder injury myself. Damn to hell flat bench pressing. Never in my life am I ever going to mess around on flat bench.

I had a partial tear of my subscaplaris tendon. I've taken about 2 months off completely from chest and shoulders. Only one month to go before I can start easing into my chest and shoulders.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.76%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

My unbiased opinion is that the Canes of '01 would beat the Huskers of '95 31-17. They have too much balance on offense and more then enough defense to beat the Huskers. Vince Wolfork would have made it awfully tough to run up the middle. Jerome McDougle, DJ Williams, Jonathan Vilma have too much speed and would get killed on the sprint options. Grant Wistrom was the best defender on that Huskers defense but McKinnie would have given him a tough battle.

P.S. let's not compare teams from the 70's or before with current teams. The size, speed, and conditioning is light years ahead. I don't want to hear some old-timer say Knute Rockne's Cryin' Irish teams would have ruled today.
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.53%

I'm gonna create a new thread on '01 Miami vs. '95 Nebraska, IW. This one just isn't titled correctly for that discussion.
  18. USA HOCKEY
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.11%

i hate this thread
    i have an entirely new outlook on college football

Similar Forum Threads

1. most important event in history
    By spatch in forum Politics
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 09-14-2006, 12:38 PM
  2. Does Baked Beans Have its Place in Cutting Diet?
    By ZoMbSta in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-14-2006, 08:21 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-30-2006, 12:33 AM
  4. 16 year old in my class placed in mental hospitol
    By spatch in forum General Chat
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 12-22-2005, 08:31 PM
  5. Replies: 52
    Last Post: 12-20-2005, 02:43 AM