Saddest waste of talent

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.32%

Saddest waste of talent

By this I mean players that had several standout years or seemingly endless potential but injuries derailed their careers not drugs/alcohol, etc
    NFL-Gale Sayers, Terrell Davis
    NHL-Mario Lemieux(the worst of all), Mike Bossy, Eric Lindros
    MLB-Ken Griifey, Jr., but nothing else comes to mind...
    NBA-Jayson Williams, Jason Williams(Duke standout), Bobby Hurley

The saddest story is without a doubt Mario Lemieux;the guy was BETTER than Gretzky, but between cancer,back problems,etc he just didnt have thesame impact as 99

2. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.6%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

NBA - Sam Bowie, Ralph Sampson
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.32%

Yeah definitely agree with Ralph Sampson...I could only imagine what it could have been for the Rockets w/ Hakeem
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.97%

Bo Jackson in either sport.
  5. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.72%

Quote Originally Posted by Grmlock
    No way is/was Griffey Jr. a waste of talent. He missed two years because of injury, but was the best player in baseball for 10 years. The guy will probably finish with 40 HRs this year on one of the worst teams in baseball.
  6. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.72%

Baseball- Kerry Wood is on his way
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.91%

Bo Jackson was a tremendous loss, the Raiders were wasted by the Bills in AFC title game the following week.
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.65%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I have to say Bo, but not because of injuries. I think the 2 sport stuff killed his chance at being the best ever in football.

I think had he concentrated, he coulda been the best RB ever. I think if he had concentrated on baseball, he would have been very great.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Barry Sanders gave up way too soon. Imagine if he hadn't retired. I would almost guarantee he would have passed, no obliterated Walter Payton's rushing record and Emmitt Smith would be sitting in a distant 2nd place. One of the most exciting players I have ever watched play the game.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.11%

Bo Jackson? How about the guy he ran over. What was his name again? Oh yes, Brian Bosworth. There was a overhyped, talentless ****. He had a nice hair doo though huh.
  11. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.31%

Billy Sims :

Heisman Trophy winner in 1978…Drafted in the first round by the Detroit Lions in 1980 (first player selected in 1980 draft overall)…A very creative, but strong runner who would move the pile…Rookie season rushed for 1,303 yards and 13 TD’s…Played in three Pro Bowls…Currently ranks second on Lions’ all-time rushing list with 5,106 yards with 1,131 attempts and 42 TD’s…Also a receiving threat, ended his career with 186 catches for 2,072 yards and 47 total TD’s…Major knee injury in the 1984 season ended career abruptly
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.91%

Quote Originally Posted by EEmain
    Billy Sims :

Heisman Trophy winner in 1978…Drafted in the first round by the Detroit Lions in 1980 (first player selected in 1980 draft overall)…A very creative, but strong runner who would move the pile…Rookie season rushed for 1,303 yards and 13 TD’s…Played in three Pro Bowls…Currently ranks second on Lions’ all-time rushing list with 5,106 yards with 1,131 attempts and 42 TD’s…Also a receiving threat, ended his career with 186 catches for 2,072 yards and 47 TD’s…Major knee injury in the 1984 season ended career abruptly
    I heard about him and his great career at Oklahoma as well, never got to watch him but those numbers are pretty impressive. That's like 5 yards per carry.
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.32%

Quote Originally Posted by DieTrying
    No way is/was Griffey Jr. a waste of talent. He missed two years because of injury, but was the best player in baseball for 10 years. The guy will probably finish with 40 HRs this year on one of the worst teams in baseball.
    I agree but he has not been the same player since he left Seattle...during that stretch 40 HR would have been modest numbers. He is still one of the greatest players of all-time but he undeniably would have passed Aarons HR record if he had stayed healthy from 2001-2004
  14. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.19%

I agree but he has not been the same player since he left Seattle...during that stretch 40 HR would have been modest numbers. He is still one of the greatest players of all-time but he undeniably would have passed Aarons HR record if he had stayed healthy from 2001-2004
    And would have broken the HR record in 94 if they didn't go on strike.
  15. USA HOCKEY
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.27%

Terrell Owens????
    My Little Site about Hair Loss & Anabolics-
    hair loss from steroids dot com
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.74%

Len Bias - Drafted 2nd overall by the Boston Celtics in 86 i think? Died of a cocaine overdose less than 48 hours after he was signed. He was an all american in college and was Atlantic coast confrence player of the year in 85 and 86. Could have been a great while he didnt even get a chance to play 1 game in the NBA...

Thats the first name that comes to mind when i think of a sad waste of talent derailed due to drugs.
  17. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.86%

By this I mean players that had several standout years or seemingly endless potential but injuries derailed their careers not drugs/alcohol, etc
    NFL-Gale Sayers, Terrell Davis
    NHL-Mario Lemieux(the worst of all), Mike Bossy, Eric Lindros
    NBA-Jayson Williams, Jason Williams(Duke standout), Bobby Hurley

The saddest story is without a doubt Mario Lemieux;the guy was BETTER than Gretzky, but between cancer,back problems,etc he just didnt have thesame impact as 99
    Better than Gretzky?

Are you on crack?

lol
  18. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.86%

Quote Originally Posted by natedogg
    Bo Jackson? How about the guy he ran over. What was his name again? Oh yes, Brian Bosworth. There was a overhyped, talentless ****. He had a nice hair doo though huh.
    Gotta agree with Bo here.

Pure amazing talent. Watch him (even though I was sill young), I knew I was watching something of pure greatness.
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.11%

Quote Originally Posted by houseman
    Better than Gretzky?

Are you on crack?

lol
    I was going to say the same thing. I think it's funny how they're saying this kid Crosby who was drafted by the Penguins is the next Gretzky and has yet to play an NHL game. Same goes for the 17 year old Bynum in LA who everyone is touting as baby Shaq.
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.11%

Gotta agree with Bo here.

Pure amazing talent. Watch him (even though I was sill young), I knew I was watching something of pure greatness.
    Yeah, Bo was fun to watch. What I remember most about him though are those silly "Bo knows" commercials with Bo Diddley and at the end the narrator guy says "Bo knows Diddley". Stupid, I know.
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.8%

One of the biggest wastes of talent was Mickey Mantle. Yes, he was great. However, he could have been so much more.
  22. Really Really Good Looking
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.14%

Christian Okoye, The Nigerian Nightmare.....Until Steve Atwater dismantled him.....By the way Natedogg your avatar is cruel....being a Mets fan is by far the most cruel job in sports
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.11%

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    Christian Okoye, The Nigerian Nightmare.....Until Steve Atwater dismantled him.....By the way Natedogg your avatar is cruel....being a Mets fan is by far the most cruel job in sports
    That's funny, I was going to mention Christian Okoye next. What, Beltran and Cameron are just embracing. See, Cameron is giving Beltran a kiss on the cheek for good luck.
  24. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.32%

I was going to say the same thing. I think it's funny how they're saying this kid Crosby who was drafted by the Penguins is the next Gretzky and has yet to play an NHL game. Same goes for the 17 year old Bynum in LA who everyone is touting as baby Shaq.
    Take this into consideration...when Gretzky was on the Oilers is when he piled on the majority of his points and on that team were 4 hall of fame skaters and Lemieux had only Ron Francis for a short time and then Jagr for a brief stretch. Until he came back from retirement, Lemieux had the best points per game average in NHL history.
  25. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.97%

Didn't they meet just inside the 10 yd line then not only did Bo run him over, didnt he drag him into the endzone?

Someone mentioned Len Bias earlier, how about Reggie Lewis also from the Celtics? He was an all star and was carying the team til he died @ practice.
  26. USA HOCKEY
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.27%

Better than Gretzky?

Are you on crack?

lol
    Depends what 'better' means. Faster, Harder Shot? They are quite a few players that had more skill. Only Lemieux saw the ice like Gretzky, but played in an era of obstruction and grinding hockey. Gretzky definitely played in the open ice era.

My money would probably be on the 92 Pens over Gretzky's 82 Oilers.
    My Little Site about Hair Loss & Anabolics-
    hair loss from steroids dot com
  27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.52%

I've always said we as sports fans were cheated when Bo got hurt. He was an amazeing athlete that would have provided highlight reals out the ass had he not gotten hurt.

Griffey has had a few decent years in Cinci, but they do not stack up to the Junior of old and his attitude was a problem for a while.Throw in a crappy administration and he falls to the wayside. His lifetime average has slipped and we can only hope he returns to true form one last time. Who but true fans knew who Vlad Guerrero was while he was the most underrated player in baseball wasting away in Montreal?

Eric Davis was amazeing until he started getting hurt all the time. He did get injured playing hard, though. Then he got cancer and still came back. His buddy Darryl Straberry was a waste too, but for other reasons.

Chris Spielman was a ferocious linebacker, and known to be a maniac with his workout routine, until his kneck snapped.

Grant Hill also comes to mind. He was supposed to be the next Mike.

Mike Tyson's battle with Downs Syndrome has sure made a mess of his career.
  28. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.32%

Quote Originally Posted by BingeAndPurge
    I've always said we as sports fans were cheated when Bo got hurt. He was an amazeing athlete that would have provided highlight reals out the ass had he not gotten hurt.

Griffey has had a few decent years in Cinci, but they do not stack up to the Junior of old and his attitude was a problem for a while.Throw in a crappy administration and he falls to the wayside. His lifetime average has slipped and we can only hope he returns to true form one last time. Who but true fans knew who Vlad Guerrero was while he was the most underrated player in baseball wasting away in Montreal?

Eric Davis was amazeing until he started getting hurt all the time. He did get injured playing hard, though. Then he got cancer and still came back. His buddy Darryl Straberry was a waste too, but for other reasons.

Chris Spielman was a ferocious linebacker, and known to be a maniac with his workout routine, until his kneck snapped.

Grant Hill also comes to mind. He was supposed to be the next Mike.

I completely forgot about Grant Hill. Not only was he one of the few Duke players to actually live up to the hype, he was just an overall great player.
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.91%

Quote Originally Posted by BingeAndPurge

Are you serious ? I never knew or heard anything about Iron Mike and downs syndrome.
  30. Doctor Science
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.05%

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Warrior
    Are you serious ? I never knew or heard anything about Iron Mike and downs syndrome.
    I know Ken Griffey personally so yeah it is a very sad thing. They knew when he came out of college he was going to be something great and they even predicted he would break the all time home run record a few years into his career. By all means I believe he would have surpassed Hank Aaron had he not gotten hurt. Griffey is a great guy as well, a lot more shy than I thought he would be and not nearly as big as I thought he would be.
    Last edited by LakeMountD; 05-27-2006 at 12:47 PM.
  31. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.52%

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Warrior
  32. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.65%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I think Len Bias probably personifies this question the best. He was the best college player in '86 headed to a team that was getting old and badly needed some young talent. Coulda taken the Celts to the next level.
  33. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.53%

NFL-Ryan Leaf, forgot the cry-baby

And fellas- Griffey Jr. is far from done, his injury would have been career ending a decade ago, however, thanks to the new hamstring guru, Dr. Timothy Kremchek, Griffey is back and playing like Griffey. He should hit 40+ HR, 120+RBI, and atleast .280. Yeah, washed up.

34. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.43%

Sterling Sharpe
  35. Doctor Science
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.05%

It isn't a waste for Griffey it just sucks that now he probably will never break the record because of those injuries. Last time I talked to him he said he wants to get a little over 600 and he will be happy and that he has a couple more years left in him. Not sure if things have changed since then but thats last I heard.

As for Ryan Leaf, he isn't really a waste of talent because he wa never talented in the NFL. He was pretty good in college but other than that he is just like Kijana Carter.
  36. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.38%

Mike Tyson

While Cus was alive Mike Tyson was set to be the greatest heavyweight of all time. Noone hit harder than this guy, if you blinked during the first round you may miss the whole fight. He was talked about in the same breath as Ali and Fraizer, and now he's an ear biting lunatic that is taken about as seriously as an episode of Jerry Springer.
  37. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.53%

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMountD
    It isn't a waste for Griffey it just sucks that now he probably will never break the record because of those injuries. Last time I talked to him he said he wants to get a little over 600 and he will be happy and that he has a couple more years left in him. Not sure if things have changed since then but thats last I heard.

As for Ryan Leaf, he isn't really a waste of talent because he wa never talented in the NFL. He was pretty good in college but other than that he is just like Kijana Carter.
    I have always been a huge Griffey fan and when he came "home" to Cincinnati I was in heaven. It has been a terrible chain of events that has taken place the last 4 seasons and I only wish the best for him. It's a shame hearing the *******s on talk radio blast on him. I could go on and on.

Ryan Leaf- I'm just stating that he was a sad waste of talent.
    When you bring up Kijana Carter- Ohhhh the painful memories of the terrible draft choices by the Bengal's; Carter, David Klingler, Akili Smith, Dan Wilkenson (sp?), etc...

This is the year for Peter Warrick to make it BIG or fall into the realm of wasted talent; he had so much promise coming out of college.
  38. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.52%

If Maurice Clarett wasn't hurt his Freshman (only) year he would have won the heisman
  39. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.53%

Quote Originally Posted by charliewat
    If Maurice Clarett wasn't hurt his Freshman (only) year he would have won the heisman
    He has the opportunity to redeem himself in Denver- he couldn't have went to a better team (for him) in my opinion. He definately was a badass his freshman year.
  40. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.52%

Quote Originally Posted by charliewat
    Mo hasn't played a full season of football since his freshman year of HS. **** him.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Biggest Waste of MMA Talent?
    By TheMouth in forum MMA
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 03-25-2008, 11:01 PM
  2. Waste of $$/Scam Supplements
    By YellowJacket in forum Supplements
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 07-23-2007, 10:23 PM
  3. Who is the biggest waste of talent in sports history ?
    By Iron Warrior in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 10-17-2004, 12:30 AM
  4. Is supinating your hand a waste of time for DB curls?
    By Lean One in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 12:49 PM
  5. Cut and then One+ = waste of effort?
    By bigbadboss101 in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2003, 12:52 AM