Saddest waste of talent

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
By this I mean players that had several standout years or seemingly endless potential but injuries derailed their careers not drugs/alcohol, etc
NFL-Gale Sayers, Terrell Davis
NHL-Mario Lemieux(the worst of all), Mike Bossy, Eric Lindros
MLB-Ken Griifey, Jr., but nothing else comes to mind...
NBA-Jayson Williams, Jason Williams(Duke standout), Bobby Hurley

The saddest story is without a doubt Mario Lemieux;the guy was BETTER than Gretzky, but between cancer,back problems,etc he just didnt have thesame impact as 99

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
Yeah definitely agree with Ralph Sampson...I could only imagine what it could have been for the Rockets w/ Hakeem

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
No way is/was Griffey Jr. a waste of talent. He missed two years because of injury, but was the best player in baseball for 10 years. The guy will probably finish with 40 HRs this year on one of the worst teams in baseball.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Bo Jackson was a tremendous loss, the Raiders were wasted by the Bills in AFC title game the following week.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I have to say Bo, but not because of injuries. I think the 2 sport stuff killed his chance at being the best ever in football.

I think had he concentrated, he coulda been the best RB ever. I think if he had concentrated on baseball, he would have been very great.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Barry Sanders gave up way too soon. Imagine if he hadn't retired. I would almost guarantee he would have passed, no obliterated Walter Payton's rushing record and Emmitt Smith would be sitting in a distant 2nd place. One of the most exciting players I have ever watched play the game.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Bo Jackson? How about the guy he ran over. What was his name again? Oh yes, Brian Bosworth. There was a overhyped, talentless ****. He had a nice hair doo though huh.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Billy Sims :

Heisman Trophy winner in 1978…Drafted in the first round by the Detroit Lions in 1980 (first player selected in 1980 draft overall)…A very creative, but strong runner who would move the pile…Rookie season rushed for 1,303 yards and 13 TD’s…Played in three Pro Bowls…Currently ranks second on Lions’ all-time rushing list with 5,106 yards with 1,131 attempts and 42 TD’s…Also a receiving threat, ended his career with 186 catches for 2,072 yards and 47 total TD’s…Major knee injury in the 1984 season ended career abruptly

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Billy Sims :

Heisman Trophy winner in 1978…Drafted in the first round by the Detroit Lions in 1980 (first player selected in 1980 draft overall)…A very creative, but strong runner who would move the pile…Rookie season rushed for 1,303 yards and 13 TD’s…Played in three Pro Bowls…Currently ranks second on Lions’ all-time rushing list with 5,106 yards with 1,131 attempts and 42 TD’s…Also a receiving threat, ended his career with 186 catches for 2,072 yards and 47 TD’s…Major knee injury in the 1984 season ended career abruptly
I heard about him and his great career at Oklahoma as well, never got to watch him but those numbers are pretty impressive. That's like 5 yards per carry.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
No way is/was Griffey Jr. a waste of talent. He missed two years because of injury, but was the best player in baseball for 10 years. The guy will probably finish with 40 HRs this year on one of the worst teams in baseball.
I agree but he has not been the same player since he left Seattle...during that stretch 40 HR would have been modest numbers. He is still one of the greatest players of all-time but he undeniably would have passed Aarons HR record if he had stayed healthy from 2001-2004

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I agree but he has not been the same player since he left Seattle...during that stretch 40 HR would have been modest numbers. He is still one of the greatest players of all-time but he undeniably would have passed Aarons HR record if he had stayed healthy from 2001-2004
And would have broken the HR record in 94 if they didn't go on strike.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Terrell Owens???? :think:

captain chet

Awards
Len Bias - Drafted 2nd overall by the Boston Celtics in 86 i think? Died of a cocaine overdose less than 48 hours after he was signed. He was an all american in college and was Atlantic coast confrence player of the year in 85 and 86. Could have been a great while he didnt even get a chance to play 1 game in the NBA...

Thats the first name that comes to mind when i think of a sad waste of talent derailed due to drugs.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
By this I mean players that had several standout years or seemingly endless potential but injuries derailed their careers not drugs/alcohol, etc
NFL-Gale Sayers, Terrell Davis
NHL-Mario Lemieux(the worst of all), Mike Bossy, Eric Lindros
NBA-Jayson Williams, Jason Williams(Duke standout), Bobby Hurley

The saddest story is without a doubt Mario Lemieux;the guy was BETTER than Gretzky, but between cancer,back problems,etc he just didnt have thesame impact as 99
Better than Gretzky?

Are you on crack?

lol

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bo Jackson? How about the guy he ran over. What was his name again? Oh yes, Brian Bosworth. There was a overhyped, talentless ****. He had a nice hair doo though huh.
Gotta agree with Bo here.

Pure amazing talent. Watch him (even though I was sill young), I knew I was watching something of pure greatness.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Better than Gretzky?

Are you on crack?

lol
I was going to say the same thing. I think it's funny how they're saying this kid Crosby who was drafted by the Penguins is the next Gretzky and has yet to play an NHL game. Same goes for the 17 year old Bynum in LA who everyone is touting as baby Shaq.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Gotta agree with Bo here.

Pure amazing talent. Watch him (even though I was sill young), I knew I was watching something of pure greatness.
Yeah, Bo was fun to watch. What I remember most about him though are those silly "Bo knows" commercials with Bo Diddley and at the end the narrator guy says "Bo knows Diddley". Stupid, I know.

stindevil

Awards
One of the biggest wastes of talent was Mickey Mantle. Yes, he was great. However, he could have been so much more.

Giantz11

Giantz11

Really Really Good Looking
Awards
  • Established
Christian Okoye, The Nigerian Nightmare.....Until Steve Atwater dismantled him.....By the way Natedogg your avatar is cruel....being a Mets fan is by far the most cruel job in sports

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Christian Okoye, The Nigerian Nightmare.....Until Steve Atwater dismantled him.....By the way Natedogg your avatar is cruel....being a Mets fan is by far the most cruel job in sports
That's funny, I was going to mention Christian Okoye next. What, Beltran and Cameron are just embracing. See, Cameron is giving Beltran a kiss on the cheek for good luck.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
I was going to say the same thing. I think it's funny how they're saying this kid Crosby who was drafted by the Penguins is the next Gretzky and has yet to play an NHL game. Same goes for the 17 year old Bynum in LA who everyone is touting as baby Shaq.
Take this into consideration...when Gretzky was on the Oilers is when he piled on the majority of his points and on that team were 4 hall of fame skaters and Lemieux had only Ron Francis for a short time and then Jagr for a brief stretch. Until he came back from retirement, Lemieux had the best points per game average in NHL history.

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
Didn't they meet just inside the 10 yd line then not only did Bo run him over, didnt he drag him into the endzone?

Someone mentioned Len Bias earlier, how about Reggie Lewis also from the Celtics? He was an all star and was carying the team til he died @ practice.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Better than Gretzky?

Are you on crack?

lol
Depends what 'better' means. Faster, Harder Shot? They are quite a few players that had more skill. Only Lemieux saw the ice like Gretzky, but played in an era of obstruction and grinding hockey. Gretzky definitely played in the open ice era.

My money would probably be on the 92 Pens over Gretzky's 82 Oilers.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I've always said we as sports fans were cheated when Bo got hurt. He was an amazeing athlete that would have provided highlight reals out the ass had he not gotten hurt.

Griffey has had a few decent years in Cinci, but they do not stack up to the Junior of old and his attitude was a problem for a while.Throw in a crappy administration and he falls to the wayside. His lifetime average has slipped and we can only hope he returns to true form one last time. Who but true fans knew who Vlad Guerrero was while he was the most underrated player in baseball wasting away in Montreal?

Eric Davis was amazeing until he started getting hurt all the time. He did get injured playing hard, though. Then he got cancer and still came back. His buddy Darryl Straberry was a waste too, but for other reasons.

Chris Spielman was a ferocious linebacker, and known to be a maniac with his workout routine, until his kneck snapped.

Grant Hill also comes to mind. He was supposed to be the next Mike.

Mike Tyson's battle with Downs Syndrome has sure made a mess of his career.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
I've always said we as sports fans were cheated when Bo got hurt. He was an amazeing athlete that would have provided highlight reals out the ass had he not gotten hurt.

Griffey has had a few decent years in Cinci, but they do not stack up to the Junior of old and his attitude was a problem for a while.Throw in a crappy administration and he falls to the wayside. His lifetime average has slipped and we can only hope he returns to true form one last time. Who but true fans knew who Vlad Guerrero was while he was the most underrated player in baseball wasting away in Montreal?

Eric Davis was amazeing until he started getting hurt all the time. He did get injured playing hard, though. Then he got cancer and still came back. His buddy Darryl Straberry was a waste too, but for other reasons.

Chris Spielman was a ferocious linebacker, and known to be a maniac with his workout routine, until his kneck snapped.

Grant Hill also comes to mind. He was supposed to be the next Mike.

Mike Tyson's battle with Downs Syndrome has sure made a mess of his career.
I completely forgot about Grant Hill. Not only was he one of the few Duke players to actually live up to the hype, he was just an overall great player.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Are you serious ? I never knew or heard anything about Iron Mike and downs syndrome.
I know Ken Griffey personally so yeah it is a very sad thing. They knew when he came out of college he was going to be something great and they even predicted he would break the all time home run record a few years into his career. By all means I believe he would have surpassed Hank Aaron had he not gotten hurt. Griffey is a great guy as well, a lot more shy than I thought he would be and not nearly as big as I thought he would be.

Last edited:
jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I think Len Bias probably personifies this question the best. He was the best college player in '86 headed to a team that was getting old and badly needed some young talent. Coulda taken the Celts to the next level.

D_town

D_town

Awards
  • Established
NFL-Ryan Leaf, forgot the cry-baby

And fellas- Griffey Jr. is far from done, his injury would have been career ending a decade ago, however, thanks to the new hamstring guru, Dr. Timothy Kremchek, Griffey is back and playing like Griffey. He should hit 40+ HR, 120+RBI, and atleast .280. Yeah, washed up.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
It isn't a waste for Griffey it just sucks that now he probably will never break the record because of those injuries. Last time I talked to him he said he wants to get a little over 600 and he will be happy and that he has a couple more years left in him. Not sure if things have changed since then but thats last I heard.

As for Ryan Leaf, he isn't really a waste of talent because he wa never talented in the NFL. He was pretty good in college but other than that he is just like Kijana Carter.

FOCUS

Board Supporter
Awards
Mike Tyson

While Cus was alive Mike Tyson was set to be the greatest heavyweight of all time. Noone hit harder than this guy, if you blinked during the first round you may miss the whole fight. He was talked about in the same breath as Ali and Fraizer, and now he's an ear biting lunatic that is taken about as seriously as an episode of Jerry Springer.

D_town

D_town

Awards
  • Established
It isn't a waste for Griffey it just sucks that now he probably will never break the record because of those injuries. Last time I talked to him he said he wants to get a little over 600 and he will be happy and that he has a couple more years left in him. Not sure if things have changed since then but thats last I heard.

As for Ryan Leaf, he isn't really a waste of talent because he wa never talented in the NFL. He was pretty good in college but other than that he is just like Kijana Carter.
I have always been a huge Griffey fan and when he came "home" to Cincinnati I was in heaven. It has been a terrible chain of events that has taken place the last 4 seasons and I only wish the best for him. It's a shame hearing the assholes on talk radio blast on him. I could go on and on.

Ryan Leaf- I'm just stating that he was a sad waste of talent.
When you bring up Kijana Carter- Ohhhh the painful memories of the terrible draft choices by the Bengal's; Carter, David Klingler, Akili Smith, Dan Wilkenson (sp?), etc...

This is the year for Peter Warrick to make it BIG or fall into the realm of wasted talent; he had so much promise coming out of college.

charliewat

Awards
If Maurice Clarett wasn't hurt his Freshman (only) year he would have won the heisman

D_town

D_town

Awards
  • Established
If Maurice Clarett wasn't hurt his Freshman (only) year he would have won the heisman
He has the opportunity to redeem himself in Denver- he couldn't have went to a better team (for him) in my opinion. He definately was a badass his freshman year.

D_town

D_town

Awards
  • Established
It still has to be seen whether he is a wasted talent.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Even then he did not play every game with Ohio State because he was hurt.
I said HS, as in High School. He has not played a full season of football since he was 14 years old.

D_town

D_town

Awards
  • Established
He has the opportunity to redeem himself in Denver- he couldn't have went to a better team (for him) in my opinion. He definately was a badass his freshman year.
Or not

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3875978

Broncos debate Clarett's handling of injury

Associated Press
Posted: 13 hours ago
DENVER (AP) - After missing nearly two weeks with a groin injury, Maurice Clarett returned to practice Thursday, the last day of training camp for the Denver Broncos.

Now, the question is whether his return has come too late to make the team.

Denver's third-round draft choice hadn't practiced since Aug. 8 due to a strained right groin, an injury that, as recently as Wednesday, didn't appear to be getting any better.

Coach Mike Shanahan, however, has been blunt in his assessment of Clarett all week, not shirking from how hard it would be for a rookie, or any player, to make the roster if he's not practicing.

That might be what suddenly made the groin well enough for Clarett to return Thursday. Or maybe it really did get better. For his part, Clarett did not make himself available for comment after either of Thursday's two practices.

His teammates and coach, meanwhile, have been fielding constant questions about Clarett this week. They keep reiterating that oft-troubled running back has nothing to gain by being on the sideline.

"You can't make the club in the tub. We all know that," quarterback Jake Plummer said, echoing a phrase he learned from Mean Joe Greene.

The debate around Broncos camp this week is whether Clarett is being too protective of his injury and how that's affecting not only his chances to make the roster, but his relationship with coaches and teammates.

Shanahan said any talk about Clarett's relationship with teammates was "all speculation." As for whether Clarett is coachable: "I haven't had a chance to coach him very much," Shanahan said. "I was hoping to have a chance in the next couple weeks to coach him."

Clarett's status has not been determined for Saturday's preseason game against the 49ers, but even if he can go, it's unlikely he'll see much time. The Broncos normally use the bulk of the second preseason game to evaluate their second and third string players, and Clarett isn't close to there.

He's listed as the fifth back, behind Nos. 1 and 1A, Mike Anderson and Tatum Bell, and Quentin Griffin. He's also behind Ron Dayne, who has had an excellent training camp. Many thought the battle for the last tailback spot would be between Dayne and Clarett. If that's the case, it's no contest at this point.

"Any time you're out of practice for as long as he has, it's almost like starting over," Shanahan said. "You've got to get your legs back. He missed a lot of reps, knowing what to do from an offensive standpoint. It takes some time. Hopefully, he can stay healthy and we'll get a chance to evaluate him."

At the start of camp, Clarett made news by forgoing his signing bonus in exchange for an incentive-based contract. There's a growing sense he'll have to do something spectacular over the next two weeks to make the final roster and have a chance at the incentives.

Listening to some of the Broncos talk, he'll almost certainly need to rally to gain their respect. "Some of those guys are going to have to grow up quick because in this business they are not going to wait on you," receiver Rod Smith said in response to a question about Clarett. "We still have to move forward whether you are here or not. You just hope they have a speedy recovery and they are out there showing their teammates what they can do, and when guys are not dressed out, it's hard to see."

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
Ronnie Fields. Friend of mine. Better than KG in high school. Best basketball player I've ever seen. I've never seen a better athlete. After his car accident he was never the same. He still plays in the CBA and dominates, and I'm quite sure he could still do some things in the NBA, but he doesn't get a chance. What do you have to do? There have been a ton of guys given chance from the CBA and he doesn't get a shot. So leading the CBA in PPG and steals and being a great defender doesn't get you a chance?

Anway... my vote is Ronnie Fields. to this day there are few more exciting players, and he plays in the CBA...

fightinirish

Awards
David Boston, might not have put up the best numbers in the world, but the guy is a freak when it comes to size and speed. Without all those injuries he could have at least had a good/great career.

H8duke

H8duke

Banned
Awards
  • Established
he's not looking too good in denver. it'll take all he's got and then some just to make the team.... i posted b4 i read all your post. those are my thoughts also.

BG5150

Awards
What do you mean by a "waste" of talent? To me, it means someone who had talen (or potential) and failed to live up to it. So adding Mario or Bo to the list is ludicrous. Their talent wasn't 'wasted". It was a shame, for sure, but wasted, no.

Brien Taylor. Drew Henson deciding to play baseball. Barry Sanders quitting. John Rocker. Todd Bertuzzi. John Daly. All wasted talents.