Who is the best Quarterback ever?

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
To this point I held that it was Dan Marino. He made players around him. He never had much of a team and more importantly - he didn't have a defense.

But I'm giving my #1 to Brett Favre
Brett Favre, the only 3 time MVP (1995,1996,1997), 8 probowls, over 200 starts in a row (a quarterback), 3 superbowls - different recievers in all superbowls. Not to mention a great leader, tough, and amazing late in games when it counts. A total winner.

Last edited:

BMW

Awards
  • Established
sorry but in my book farve is a good second ill even put him ahead montana but not marino. for a man to accomplish so much without a star team made marino the best. to this day marino still holds more records than any other QB and nobody comes close to breaking most of his records. marino could have thrown the ball to my grandpa on a cane and would have completed a touchdown pass.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
sorry but in my book farve is a good second ill even put him ahead montana but not marino. for a man to accomplish so much without a star team made marino the best. to this day marino still holds more records than any other QB and nobody comes close to breaking most of his records. marino could have thrown the ball to my grandpa on a cane and would have completed a touchdown pass.
Yeah, I think Marino also holds the record for most INT's. :rolleyes: He was pretty damn good, but not a winner nor very much of a team player (just ask Jimmy Johnson). This is a hard one and could go on until the end of time. I really couldn't say who the greatest QB of all time was, but I will say Marino is NOT it.

shatfield

Board Supporter
Awards
Gotta say Steve Young. Anyone that can put Montana on the bench is top notch in my book. I think he was the first of the rushing QBs who was never afraid to run with the ball and take the hits.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I do believe Marino stands as the best passer ever, not the best QB. Manning could overtake him in both regards if and only if he gets a ring

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
i like Young a lot I have him ahead of Montana, but Montana still ahead of Elway.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
would brady be in your top 5 after all is said and done

Giantz11

Giantz11

Really Really Good Looking
Awards
  • Established
Its obviously Phil Simms, where you guys been!

guitarjunkie420

Board Supporter
Awards
I say Joe Montana is the best ever Give Tom brady a few more years and he might be the most successful qb ever. 3 rings in his first four years as a starter and he has a great coach and exellent team. he could get 6 rings

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
So far its tough to say...Marino, Montana, Bradshaw, Unitas, Griese, Elway..you could go on forever. Its tough.

When its all said and done I think Peyton Manning will be right there as well...and its damn hard not mention what Brady has done so far in his short career.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
The guy in my avatar is the greatest ever. There will be many opinions but before we rate QB's we need a criteria to grade on

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
There will be many opinions but before we rate QB's we need a criteria to grade on
Agreed. Its sorta like the MVP in baseball. Is it the guy with 50 HRs on the worst team in baseball? Or the guy with 30 HRs but lead his team to a title?

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. Its sorta like the MVP in baseball. Is it the guy with 50 HRs on the worst team in baseball? Or the guy with 30 HRs but lead his team to a title?
I think victories are the most important because there are guys with great stats who are not in the same league as these QB's. I'm thinking of Vinny Testaverde right off the top of my head, his stats look awesome compared with the top QB's but he is not in the same league, he's just played real damm long.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
On numbers alone.. Marino... doesn`t he have 11.5 more miles of passing yards than that Joe Guy :wave:

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Terry Bradshaw? No... ummm... I mean Troy Aikman :rofl:

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thats just my point..there should be a seperate award in sports. Maybe for the guy who was the best, but doesnt get the recognition b/c of his team.

Who had a better year last year? Manning or Brady? :blink:

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Terry Bradshaw? No... ummm... I mean Troy Aikman :rofl:
I knew that was coming :D but stat wise, Bradshaw had I believe a 1:1 Td to interception ratio and I'll buy you 10 pounds of whey if his QB rating was above 75 (or IQ LOL j/k). Montana's was like 95 and he had nearly a 2:1 Td to INT ratio. Monatana nearly even led the Chiefs to the Super Bowl, something Aikman and Bradshaw never did with another team. Montana won aSuper Bowl w/out a 1,000 yard rusher, something not many QB's have done. Steve Young is the other QB that has won a Super Bowl w/out a 1,000 yard rusher in a 16 game season. Aikman is better than Bradshaw stats wise but his career rating is good, not great, his Td to Int ratio is close to 1:1.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
The guy in my avatar is the greatest ever. There will be many opinions but before we rate QB's we need a criteria to grade on
I'm with IW. It's Super Joe (Montana) hands down. I am, however, a heavily biased NoCal, living dangerously in SoCal...

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I'm with IW. It's Super Joe (Montana) hands down. I am, however, a heavily biased NoCal, living dangerously in SoCal...
Good man, kill a Dodgers fan for fun every now and then for Nor Cal :D

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I think victories are the most important because there are guys with great stats who are not in the same league as these QB's. I'm thinking of Vinny Testaverde right off the top of my head, his stats look awesome compared with the top QB's but he is not in the same league, he's just played real damm long.
If Vinny T were to somehow pick up a superbowl (as the starter) he would be in the hall of fame, I feel the same is true for Mr. Drew Bledsoe.
It's certainly icing on the cake for both of them at this point, but a lack thereof will keep them out of the hall.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I think Marino also holds the record for most INT's. :rolleyes: He was pretty damn good, but not a winner nor very much of a team player (just ask Jimmy Johnson). This is a hard one and could go on until the end of time. I really couldn't say who the greatest QB of all time was, but I will say Marino is NOT it.
Nate....nobody is going to take you seriously...like you know a damn thing about football! *sigh*

Listen up guys, don't take opinions on quarterbacks from the worlds best "CATCHER" out there :lol:

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
If Vinny T were to somehow pick up a superbowl (as the starter) he would be in the hall of fame, I feel the same is true for Mr. Drew Bledsoe.
It's certainly icing on the cake for both of them at this point, but a lack thereof will keep them out of the hall.
I'd still not count Bledsoe out. Vinny Testaverde flat out sucked early in his career but made good progress at the end. He has come a long way from those 35 int's his second year in the league LOL. Vinny has just been inconsistant throughout his career and that will keep him out of the hall IMO. Bledsoe can still change peoples' mind since he still has a chance with Dallas. Who knows, maybe McNabb gets hurt and the Cowboys end up going to the Super Bowl, stranger things have happened, this is the NFL

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Nate....nobody is going to take you seriously...like you know a damn thing about football! *sigh*

Listen up guys, don't take opinions on quarterbacks from the worlds best "CATCHER" out there :lol:
Well at least he's not the center of a football team :lol:

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established

Thanks for the compliment. I resent the not knowing anything about football remark though.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Elway is and was the best. You take any of those other QB's(I'm looking in your direction Montana) and put them on the Denver teams of the 80's and they never get to the SuperBowl and retire within 5 years. You put Elway on say the 49'ers in the 80's, he owns every record a QB can have. Marino would have been killed in Denver, same with Montana. Only Favre would have had a chance due to his gunslinger mentality but even he didn't have Elway's running ability. 5 SuperBowls, 3 with teams that should have never made it, 2 SB wins, MVP(Both SB and regular season).

CrAzyOttER

Banned
Awards
jim kelly. please no cheap shots about him. his son just died.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Marino, Elway, Montana are all number 1. You can't distinguish between them. They were UNBELIEVABLE and at a completely different level, the only problem is that some had strengths that others didn't which helped teams like the 49's get into the playoffs more.

Peyton Manning is sneaking up though. If he keeps it up I will say his ass is ;).

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Victories?

You got to be kidding me right?

A QB on a talent rich team or a QB on a talent lacking team who litterally obiliterates passing records?

As said best QB, not the best winning QB. And, to win in the NFL, it takes more than a single player to achieve wins. Manning is a good example of that today.

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
Don't forget Johnny Unitas.

What about George Blanda... Bart Starr...

Fran Tarkenton!

I'm not saying they are #1 or anything. But they need to be mentioned among these other names.

My favorite when I was younger was Dan Fouts. Later, Elway. Montana was great too; no doubt.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Victories?

A QB on a talent rich team or a QB on a talent lacking team who litterally obiliterates passing records?

As said best QB, not the best winning QB. And, to win in the NFL, it takes more than a single player to achieve wins. Manning is a good example of that today.
Manning is kind of a baby. He'll probably get a superbowl though. The current Colts team is far better than any Dolphins team Marino ever captained.

If we are going to consider Barry Sanders as best running back ever, we need to consider Dan Marino.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Don't forget Johnny Unitas.

What about George Blanda... Bart Starr...

Fran Tarkenton!

I'm not saying they are #1 or anything. But they need to be mentioned among these other names.

My favorite when I was younger was Dan Fouts. Later, Elway. Montana was great too; no doubt.
You have to consider the average age of those participating in this thread. These guys were playing before I was even born. Besides, I don't think they could hold a candle to most of today's current QB's. QB's today have become smarter, bigger, quicker and more agile.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
You have to consider the average age of those participating in this thread. These guys were playing before I was even born. Besides, I don't think they could hold a candle to most of today's current QB's. QB's today have become smarter, bigger, quicker and more agile.
ha so true, the university of miami team in the 70s couldn't beat our softball team
:burger: <-- Burger

Blutarski

Blutarski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Elway, he got more out of less than any player I've ever seen, by less I mean with less of a supporting cast. As a Chiefs fan I hated him but have much respect as well. He never failed to get it done if his team was hanging around at the end. Marino was a great passer as well, Warren Moon was underrated, Aikman overrated JMHO..

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Manning is kind of a baby. He'll probably get a superbowl though. The current Colts team is far better than any Dolphins team Marino ever captained.

If we are going to consider Barry Sanders as best running back ever, we need to consider Dan Marino.
My comment of Manning was to show it takes more than a single player to win in the NFL, especially a championship.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
My comment of Manning was to show it takes more than a single player to win in the NFL, especially a championship.
totally agree.
Barry Sanders would have 5 rings if a single player could dominate football like say, basketball.

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
Elway, he got more out of less than any player I've ever seen, by less I mean with less of a supporting cast.
Less of a supporting cast? What about Terrell Davis? He was only the Super bowl MVP, a 2000 yd RB, scored 3 TDs vs Green Bayin Super Bowl, rushing title, led league in yds from scrimmage and NFL MVP the following title year. Elway was getting raped in Super Bowls without TD. Young and Montana were throwing to the greatest WR and argueably greatest player ever in the sport, Jerry Rice, and Young had T.O. They both played in a system that made Jeff Garcia a pro bowler so you have to give some of the credit to the system (not to take anything away from them). Marino had Duper and Clayton. Just about every other QB named played or won with present or future HOF WR or RB. Who did Favre have? Dorsey Levens and Antonio Freeman. Favre did the most with the least.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Favre had a great Defense backing his ass up. Elway did not have a defense or much of an offense(except him) during the 80's. You're going to tell me that Favre would have gotten the Denver Broncos to the SuperBowl in the 80's? I don't think so. His mobility(or lack thereof) would have shortened his career by about 10 years with those Denver teams, not to mention his starting streak.

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
Denver's D was decent during their SB years (off the top of my head I know Steve Atwater was a beast, Tom Jackson and Karl mecklenberg (sp?) were pro bowlers)when Elway was going to the SB and didn't Elway also have the best possibly the best TE to ever play the game? (Shannon Sharpe)

BMW

Awards
  • Established
aikman should never be mention in a great quaterback thread. he was only good becuase of his recivers rice, smith, irving the o line and cunningham jeez i could put my little 13yr old brother out there and turn him into a qb star with those guys on his team.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Victories?

Here's my issue with rating a QB based on stats alone. Let's take Jeff George or others like him with great stats and shitty records for example. They get 300+ passing yards many games because they're was in such bad shape that they got lots of garbage yards towards the end of the game when the opposing defense was in prevent mode. They can end up with 4,000+ yards and 25-30TD's a season and look like All-Pro's on paper but a lot of those stats are deceiving because they were piled up in garbage time.

Now take a look at Joe Montana, Tom Brady, hell even Troy Aikman. These guys did not have great stats because they didn't have to throw for 300-400 yards a game, they were efficient and clutch WHEN IT MATTERED.

IMO, QB rating, TD:INT, & completion percentage are the key stats if you want to throw away winning altogether. In that case, Joe Montana STILL DOMINATES.

You are right that teams need more than 1 great QB to win, but winning record matters as long as the guy has played 10+ years. And Montana did nearly take the Chiefs to Super Bowl with an aging Marcus Allen and mediocre receivers at the end of his career too, granted their defense was good.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Denver's D was decent during their SB years (off the top of my head I know Steve Atwater was a beast, Tom Jackson and Karl mecklenberg (sp?) were pro bowlers)when Elway was going to the SB and didn't Elway also have the best possibly the best TE to ever play the game? (Shannon Sharpe)
Elway didn't have Sharpe in the 80's though

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Now take a look at Joe Montana, Tom Brady, hell even Troy Aikman. These guys did not have great stats because they didn't have to throw for 300-400 yards a game, they were efficient and clutch WHEN IT MATTERED.
I agree, but if Marino were simply efficent (or a Dilfer ball manager) the Dolphins wouldn't have won a single game.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Favre had a great Defense backing his ass up. Elway did not have a defense or much of an offense(except him) during the 80's. You're going to tell me that Favre would have gotten the Denver Broncos to the SuperBowl in the 80's? I don't think so. His mobility(or lack thereof) would have shortened his career by about 10 years with those Denver teams, not to mention his starting streak.
Favre won a Super Bowl w/out a 1,000 yard rusher, Elway didn't until he got TD though. Favre is not the most mobile guy, but he has escapibility and great pocket prescence. Too bad he tends to make some wild throws from time to time though. I'd say Favre is on the same level as Elway.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I agree, but if Marino were simply efficent (or a Dilfer ball manager) the Dolphins wouldn't have won a single game.
No doubt about it. His only flaw IMO was that he had too many picks, but than again, what can you do when you have no running game and the defense is only worried about you.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
good discussion, lets keep it friendly.

No one will say anything really positive about Aikman - but I'll mention that Michael Irvin only had over 100 catches (111) one time and only 10 touckdowns one time.

The key was the probowl offensive line and the coaching. Troy was very good though.