Raffy Suspended for 10 games!

Giantz11

Giantz11

Really Really Good Looking
Awards
  • Established
NEW YORK (AP) -- Rafael Palmeiro was suspended 10 days for violating Major League Baseball's steroids policy Monday, nearly five months after the Baltimore Orioles first baseman emphatically told Congress that ``I have never used steroids. Period.''

Palmeiro became the highest-profile player among the seven who have failed a test under the toughened major league policy that took effect in March, rules criticized by Congress as not being stringent enough.

In a conference call Monday, Palmeiro said he never intentionally took steroids and could not explain how the drugs got into his body. He also apologized and said would accept his punishment.

``I have never intentionally used steroids. Never. Ever. Period,'' he said. ``Ultimately, although I never intentionally put a banned substance into my body, the independent arbitrator ruled that I had to be suspended under the terms of the program.''

The 40-year-old is the seventh player to test positive for steroids under the policy adopted earlier this year. Palmeiro doubled on July 15 to join Hank Aaron, Willie Mays and Eddie Murray as the only players with 3,000 hits and 500 homers.

Palmeiro said the arbitrator ``did not find that I used a banned substance intentionally -- in fact, he said he found my testimony to be compelling,'' but still ruled that he needed to serve the suspension. Palmeiro wouldn't go into the specifics but left the impression that the banned substance was contained in a supplement that was not prescribed.

A grievance filed by the players' union against the suspension was denied by arbitrator Shyam Das.

Appearing with Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and other baseball stars before a congressional committee on March 17, Palmeiro made an opening statement in which he said: ``Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never.''

Palmeiro was so emphatic in his denial of steroid use that he pointed his index finger at the panel, and expressed indignation over accusations made by former slugger Jose Canseco, who cited Palmeiro as a steroid user in his tell-all book. In an interview on the CBS television show ``60 Minutes,'' Canseco -- who also testified before Congress -- said he had injected Palmeiro with steroids.

Government Reform Committee chairman Tom Davis, R-Va., who led the steroids inquiry, was traveling out of the country on Monday and couldn't be reached for comment, spokesman Rob White said.

``If true, this is disheartening news for those of us who believed Mr. Palmeiro was a key ally in our effort to rid sports of performance enhancing drugs,'' White said.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan said President Bush considers Palmeiro ``a friend and he believes him'' when he says he never intentionally took steroids.

On July 7, Palmeiro took part via conference call in a round-table discussion about how to rid sports of steroids with Davis and representatives from the NFL, NBA, NHL and Major League Baseball.

Palmeiro seemed contrite on the conference call, saying he hoped there was something to be gained from his suspension by educating players to be more careful about what they put in their bodies.

``I want to apologize to MLB, the Baltimore Orioles organization, my teammates, and most of all, my fans,'' Palmeiro said. ``Given my role with the No Tolerance Committee and my relationships with Congress, I feel the need to communicate a serious message to my fellow players and to kids everywhere.''

Palmeiro played against the White Sox on Sunday night, but began serving his suspension immediately and was not in the lineup for the start of Monday's home game against Chicago. He stands to lose $163,934.42 of his $3 million salary during the suspension.

Orioles owner Peter Angelos expressed support for Palmeiro in Monday's conference call.

``I am truly saddened by today's events,'' Angelos said. ``I have known Rafael Palmeiro for many years. ... I know from personal experience that his accomplishments are due to hard work and his dedication to the game.''

Associated Press writers David Ginsburg in Baltimore and Howard Fendrich in Washington contributed to this story.

redraiderdave

Awards
  • Established
Great, more fuel for the fire. The end of all supplements is near.

Ghosting

In a conference call Monday, Palmeiro said he never intentionally took steroids and could not explain how the drugs got into his body.
:rolleyes:

Palmeiro was so emphatic in his denial of steroid use that he pointed his index finger at the panel, and expressed indignation over accusations made by former slugger Jose Canseco, who cited Palmeiro as a steroid user in his tell-all book. In an interview on the CBS television show ``60 Minutes,'' Canseco -- who also testified before Congress -- said he had injected Palmeiro with steroids.
LOL.

I hate the spotlight being on AAS, but denying is funny. The drug test is wrong, I'm innocent.

GREENFEATHER

GREENFEATHER

Awards
He was on TV this morning saying that "if" he took steroids, he didn't know about it!? WTF? How in the hell do you not feel that injection? I mean it's been quite some time since I dabbled in juice, but I think I'd know if someone was poking me with a needle, don't ya think? It's **** like this that keeps dragging it all back out into the public eye.
ROB

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
One of the Mariner's was suspended for testing positive. He claims that he has never taken steroids but was taking an OTC supplement from a local store. Here it comes!!!!!!!

GettinSwole

Awards
It's high time they all admit they've been juicing all along. Just say "I did it, I'm sorry, and I won't do it again." He serves his 10 DAY (not game) suspension and it all blows over. I don't think any of this is going to change the fact that he is one of the greatest of all time. On top of that, they can't say that a positive test for roids is going to keep someone outta the hall b/c it's unfair to the people that got into the hall without ever even being tested... who's to say juice didn't get them in there too. Just my rant... I think they all should juice... more home runs, more big plays, bigger guys... the whole sport would be more interesting.

Yjyankee

More Cowbell
Awards
  • Established
Got this off of Fox sports.com

Rafael Palmeiro may have claimed that he didn't intentionally use steriods, but according to a report in the New York Times, the drug he tested positive for is the potent and popular anabolic steroid stanozolol.

EPSN News said it's similar to Winnie..

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I've also seen the reports that it was stanozolol, which the Washington Post said, "does not come in dietary supplements."

That's good to hear, I guess... LOL

Unfortunately, everytime someone (swimmer, track athletle, baseball player) test positive for steroids and uses the excuse of just using OTC supplements, it points the finger at supplements and helps the morons who can't tell protein and creatine from stanozolol and winstrol make the case that any 'supplement' is bad.

It gives these people 3 routes to be wrong:

(1) Johnny shouldn't use creatine because it will make his testes shrink and cause him to kill himself.

(2) Johnny shouldn't use creatine because it will lead him to using more and more 'supplements' like HGH and IM steroids.

(3) Johhny shouldn't use creatine because that stuff contains steroids. (Or, 'that stuff IS steroids.. isn't it?')

Idiocy reigns!

As for Raffy and baseball... I really don't care about him. I mean, he ought to be in Hall as far as I can tell. You can't tell me on the one hand that what he has done warrants a 10 day suspension... and oh, by the way, no Hall of Fame for you. Talk about inconsistent!

Baseball (the player's union) better get tougher though because these little slaps on the wrist are just making the politicians rabid. The last thing we need is an across the board national policy (law) for all sports.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
We have to much congressional intursion into our lives now... no one will take personal responsibility for what they do.... especially the sport/enternaiment bunch that make so much money...

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Got this off of Fox sports.com

Rafael Palmeiro may have claimed that he didn't intentionally use steriods, but according to a report in the New York Times, the drug he tested positive for is the potent and popular anabolic steroid stanozolol.

EPSN News said it's similar to Winnie..
LOL. This means he was probably juicing DURING the congressional hearings. That's irony for you. :lol:

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I just find it unbelievable that he is getting support from George Bush because he's his friend and he believes his friends LOL. I'm even more upset because any other average Joe goes to jail for lying to congress while Palmairo gets away with it. It sucks to see celebrities don't have to abide by the law like we do.

Ghosting

I just find it unbelievable that he is getting support from George Bush because he's his friend and he believes his friends LOL. I'm even more upset because any other average Joe goes to jail for lying to congress while Palmairo gets away with it. It sucks to see celebrities don't have to abide by the law like we do.
Are you serious? What a jerkoff.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Hey GHosting, Raffy did contribute to GW's campaign so he owes one to Raffy. I guess that's how politics work ?

Ghosting

Hey GHosting, Raffy did contribute to GW's campaign so he owes one to Raffy. I guess that's how politics work ?
OMG. :eek: I didnt know that. Looks like a little backscratching is going on. I cant believe how naive GB is being.

blam

Banned
Awards
OMG. :eek: I didnt know that. Looks like a little backscratching is going on. I cant believe how naive GB is being.
He's not being naive man, he's being a politician, acting like that is what they do. IF anything happens to this guy GW will probably pardon him anyway.

Personally, I want this guy to get off scott free. They had no business probing Baseball as it is. What good is jailing him going to serve? Will it stop everyone from telling lies to congress..hell no. It seems like everyone in the media is "punish hungry" these days.

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
Isn't telling lies to Congress like throwing water in the ocean?

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I also believe GW would like to make it seem as if Raffy is clean guy who played for him when he owned the Rangers. The mainstream media would love to hear steroid stories from Jose Canseco about how he turned many Rangers into steroid users under GW's watch. It would be unfair to GW but that type of story would be fascinating to mainstream America.